Interesting RW quote

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
My post wasn't so much to disparage Pete but respond to the poster implying that Russ needed Pete. I think the argument the other way around is pretty easy to make. We will see this year if Russ needs Pete.
Agreed. I’m more interested to see how RW does if the run game isn’t strong.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Pulling a John63 with the Norton thing, huh? I'll let you play with it a Lil longer before that myth gets busted.

And if I'm weaving something, please tell me which of those points I made in that post is incorrect? Rather than, in vintage J63 fashion, pointing to an article that references some stat or writer's fan boy opinion that Russ is among the football Gods, and throwing that down as a defense.

Just tell me which of those points is incorrect.

And you throw around nonsensical claims like him having to play with historically bad running games??? He had one year when we had zero running backs and he accounted for our offense. Good on him. He was superman that year.

And the historically bad defenses you're referencing (the last 2 years) coincided with the historically pass happy offenses that were historically atrocious at picking up 3rd downs, holding the ball, and sustaining drives. This is again, Fact. Look it up. The stats are there and the eyes saw it in 2020 when we went from historically bad, to making one of the greatest turnarounds in performance ever over the last half of the season when we stopped giving opposing teams the ball after forcing deep shots and punting over and over again.

You could see it again last year when our 'historically bad ' defense was again matched with a historically bad offense when it cake to staying on the field or moving the chains... we might have actually been 31st in the league... before Russ got hurt.

But Russ looked great and the offense was ranked what... #1 in scoring and big plays? Cool. But when you put up 21 points in a quarter on drives that combined, last 4 minutes, and then go three and out on the rest (this is factually what we did last year) and the other team possesses the ball for 9 minutes of a quarter... well, when your offense isn't on the field, your defense is.

Our D was historically bad IN PART because they were literally dealt a historically bad hand. The other part had to do with a DC who misused players, lacked creativity, and struggled to communicate concepts.

And still that defense was near top 10 in points allowed - a stat that wouldn't be achievable if not for the fact that part of the reason they looked so bad was in fact due to the offense. THERE ISNT ANY OTHER WAY THAT CAN HAPPEN.

But getting back to Russ and that superman year when Russ was the whole offense on the ground and in the air. You know what made him great? The fact that he still ran then. And he did, because he HAD to that year. I and others have pointed to the fact that when you take away his wheels (or he puts them on the shelf), and tries to go Brady, he can't. And he hasn't. To my point about his 3rd down struggles... the Only years he was ever ranked 'well ' were the years he ran. So when Pete was going on and on about running more, and the Wilson cheerleaders were all up in arms because Pete hates exciting offense and was stifling Russ's potential... he was actually tracking EXACTLY the truth about Russ's game. Boom or bust ( ie, can't sustain drives) and crap on 3rd down unless there's a running game ( and Russ contributing).

As to that article... classic, and comical deflection

This is the thing, Fade, youve criticized Pete for being a coach who plays to the one score game... that that's his Schtick... what he's setup to do and what what he's built the team to do, to Russ's detriment. Then, when we are good at it, historically good, because that's how we HAD to win, you throw up a post giving Wilson the credit, and then use that as proof of his greatness??

Again, how about stick to the points I made and attack them if I'm weaving 'yarns'

But don't go posting random articles and standing on them, John63 style. I always thought you head and shoulders above him in your ability to make and defend points. But to use that?

Its like posting an article about Russ being the 2nd youngest QB to win a SB... as if he and Big Ben both weren't just riding the backs of their respective defenses and running games.

Same for that stat about being the winning winningest Qb through x seasons.

Or the top rated qb when facing elite qbs...

Do this, find me the article that talks about how great Russ is in converting 3rd downs, or dissecting a defense and slowly carving them up into submission... you know, like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, Manning, etc have all had written about them.

Russ is who he is.

Not who he'd like himself to be.
Don't waste your breath. Fade is just John63 with more coherent writing skills

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Agreed. I’m more interested to see how RW does if the run game isn’t strong.

The 2017 Seahawks gave us a chance to see that, tho' it was with a noticeably younger-than-now, faster-than-now Wilson. Still, the results are there.
In 2017, Wilson put up some decent cumulative stats, including a league-leading 34 TD passes, but in terms of efficiency, it was not a good year for him. He was 15th in QB DVOA and had the worst season of his career in ANY/A (also his worst in ANY/A compared to the league average, so it wasn't like the whole league was down that season or something).

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The 2017 Seahawks gave us a chance to see that, tho' it was with a noticeably younger-than-now, faster-than-now Wilson. Still, the results are there.
In 2017, Wilson put up some decent cumulative stats, including a league-leading 34 TD passes, but in terms of efficiency, it was not a good year for him. He was 15th in QB DVOA and had the worst season of his career in ANY/A (also his worst in ANY/A compared to the league average, so it wasn't like the whole league was down that season or something).
That was 5 years ago. I haven’t seen that guy in a while. He was stellar when his legs were good.

Broncos_Fan

Reaction score
And he just signed his new deal, WAY too much. Glad both parties moved on.
That's hilarious. Denver now has Wilson signed for 7 years, 296 million. That's 42.3 mill/year. Pete and John are 2 of the most popular people in the world in Denver right now.

CPHawk

Reaction score
That's hilarious. Denver now has Wilson signed for 7 years, 296 million. That's 42.3 mill/year. Pete and John are 2 of the most popular people in the world in Denver right now.
ESPN says 5 years, 168 mill guaranteed 254 overall.

It will be even more hilarious when Herbert, a far better QB, signs for less so the Chargers can beat the Broncos asses for years to come.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here are the top QB contracts per overthecap.com - https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
Seriously, Kyler Murray at $46M year avg?....this is a huge problem. He threw for 24 TDs and 10 INT last season. He's definitely not worth that money.

Figuring in RW's new contract extension ($42.3M/yr avg), he's still behind Rodgers, Murray, Watson, Mahomes, and Allen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rodgers get a big deal, Adams gone. Mahomes gets his big deal, Hill gone. Will be interesting to see what player Denver ships out.
Oh well, not our problem.

Broncos_Fan

Reaction score

It will be even more hilarious when Herbert, a far better QB, signs for less so the Chargers can beat the Broncos asses for years to come.
Yes, but they kept the last 2 years of his current contract intact. So overall, the Broncos have him for 7 years/296 million.
1. Herbert isn't signing for less than RW.
2. The Broncos have split with the Chargers the last 2 seasons without Russell Wilson.

chrispy

Reaction score
Using your numbers, which exclude any incentives, his yearly average cap hit is now 60% higher than any SuperBowl winning QB in history.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Using your numbers, which exclude any incentives, his yearly average cap hit is now 60% higher than any SuperBowl winning QB in history.
Interesting. Aaron Rodgers is a SB winning QB and has a contract at $50M/yr. How is that not higher from a cap hit? Do they have a different salary cap in GB?

chrispy

Reaction score
Rogers' only SB win was 2011. In 2011, nfl cap was 120,375,000. His 2009-2014 contract averaged $10,586,667 (spotrac.com) and he actually made $7,750,000 after accounting for sign-on (also spotrac). So, depending on how you calculate, his cap hit was either 8.8% or 6.4%.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Interesting. Aaron Rodgers is a SB winning QB and has a contract at $50M/yr. How is that not higher from a cap hit? Do they have a different salary cap in GB?
The short answer is that the APY which gets reported on is rather meaningless. Actual salary cap charges are super lumpy due to extensions and bonus payments. Teams do better when their good players are on cheap years as you would expect.

John63

Reaction score
Here are the top QB contracts per overthecap.com - https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
Seriously, Kyler Murray at $46M year avg?....this is a huge problem. He threw for 24 TDs and 10 INT last season. He's definitely not worth that money.

Figuring in RW's new contract extension ($42.3M/yr avg), he's still behind Rodgers, Murray, Watson, Mahomes, and Allen.
Bingo that's correct Wilson signed an extension so he is there for 7 years at an avg of 42 mill. A great deal for both sides. Soon Wilson will be even further behind them as the other QBs up get their deals.

John63

Reaction score

Hmm get back to me when Herbert wins a play off game, throws less than double digit ints, has over 100 passer. Herbert is a volume passer not a great qb
......yet