Irvin in the last 2 games...

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Irvin's ascent just reinforces how pathetic of a player Aaron Curry was. Curry was seemingly born to be a LB and even Pete couldn't coach him up. Irvin never plays the position and in two years is a stud.

Heart and desire. Some have it, some do not.

SnowMan

Reaction score
Maybe people don't understand Bruce's role. He's an OLB. He sets the edge, he's not supposed to make tackles as much as funnel plays back towards the pursuit, allowing guys like Wagner to actually make the tackle. When's the last time a team ran a sweep that got around the corner? Thank Bruce for that, allowing the speed of the D to get there. He pass rushes on obvious passing plays, but a lot of times he stays back to spy or clean up any time the QB is flushed out of the pocket. If you get 4 guys roaring up field with man coverage behind them, guys like Krapperdick would go wild. Bruce has been solid this year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Bruce has played really well as of late.

I was one of the ones who was down on him, especially after the Chargers game earlier this year.
He's really stepped it up lately, and it's great to see.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
themunn":1q2o9eir said:
SeaChase":1q2o9eir said:
At least the same production as an old Chris Clemmons.

They play in different positions
If you want to compare Irvin's play now to when Clemons was a no-name OLB for 6 years without a single NFL start until his move to the Seahawks then be my guest.

Actually Irvin has come up to rush from the LEO position many times. Has a few sacks from there. Get over your hate.

olyfan63

Reaction score
There was a play in the Niners game where I was watching Irvin, pre-snap, and he looked like he was goofing off, not ready for the snap. I thought, WTF?! Then the play started and I realized Irvin was on Kraepernick spy duty that play. Sure enough, Kraep rolled out, Irvin moved with him, and then made a heat-seeking missile beeline right to Kaep, and made the tackle for a loss, probably recorded as a sack for Irvin. I'm pretty sure Irvin is in Kraepernick's head, that Kraep knows Irvin by name and number and knows he is one of the very, very few D players who can run him down.

A less-noticed part of "The Tip" that sent Seattle to SB48 was Irvin spying on Kaep on that play and basically inducing him to make that throw instead of keep it and run. Having Irvin in there on spy duty was huge.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Laloosh":bt4t5dee said:
Missing_Clink":bt4t5dee said:
Conversely, Malcom Smith has not played a snap on D in something like 4 games

Super Bowl MVP riding the pine. That's a crazy good defense.

Pete is resting Primetime Smith for the playoffs. 8)

Hey, makes as much sense as anything else. Smith may also have a nagging injury they're trying to let heal.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Irvin did come out for a couple 3rd downs against the 49ers . . . he played 56/58 snaps.

Wagner, Wright, Chancellor, Sherman, Maxwell, and Thomas played all 58 snaps. Bennett played 52/58 snaps.

StoneCold

Reaction score
themunn":pkn4d29j said:
SeaChase":pkn4d29j said:
At least the same production as an old Chris Clemmons.

They play in different positions
If you want to compare Irvin's play now to when Clemons was a no-name OLB for 6 years without a single NFL start until his move to the Seahawks then be my guest.

SeaChase is an attention whore. Ignore him and he'll go away.

SC

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Irvin has been a revelation in recent weeks. One of the most underrated defensive playmakers in the game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Irvin had a tackle this game where he first flatbacked Staley, then fought through Davis to lunge and ankle tackle the runner, stopping him for a gain of 5. It was pretty cool.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":76y6efdc said:
Irvin had a tackle this game where he first flatbacked Staley, then fought through Davis to lunge and ankle tackle the runner, stopping him for a gain of 5. It was pretty cool.

Just one tackle though?

Irvin has gone from a guy struggling and clawing just to do his job, because he was learning a new spot (he did the job satisfactory, btw) to a guy that is finally allowed to play without thought. Now that his responsibilities are muscle memory, he has the freedom to just play.

He's SO underrated.

OP
OP
cdallan

cdallan

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":lje5q1bo said:
Irvin has been a revelation in recent weeks. One of the most underrated defensive playmakers in the game.

I think we should take advantage of this. I think he is going to get better, so I think we should extend him this offseason if possible, before his value becomes obvious and the rising cap increases prices.

The play Scotte refers to where he takes on Staley is one of a number I have noticed his strength at the point of attack. I saw a couple of occasions where he just stonewalled a pulling lineman and forced the running play towards the sideline into the waiting arms of other defenders. He can set the edge, drop in coverage and rush the passer. Having guys like Irvin, Wagner and Kam out there allows us to play a base D but do so many different things without tipping our hand.

I know 4-3 LBs are not exactly overpaid, but I would love to see us give half-decent money to Wagner and Irvin this offseasonto extend. I rthink KJ may be the odd one out - he's decent, but KPL or Smith could play WLB for us without much dropoff - I like what I have seen from KPL do far. I think KJ gets a David Hawthorne-type contract from somebody.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":3tfgmu8y said:
themunn":3tfgmu8y said:
SeaChase":3tfgmu8y said:
Who? The announcers didn't mention his name enough for me to notice. But seriously, the first half we had like zero pressure. When I was paying attention I saw Irvin with 1 sack, 1 pressure and 1 tackle. I'm sure I missed a few things.

Really? I think the announcers spoke more about Irvin than any player on D other than Wagner. He was everywhere on Sunday

I didn't see the same. Because of a little conversation on here I paid a bit more attention to Irvin. For him playing every down, I didn't see a hole lot from him especially in the first half. I seen 1 tackle, 1 pressure, and the sack that came with 3 minutes left in the game. I think he's better as a situational pass rusher but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment.

I also missed about half of the first quarter.
You are biased and were bagging on Irvin in another thread. Give it a rest. You don't like him, we get that.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":2p9atppb said:
Missing_Clink":2p9atppb said:
Conversely, Malcom Smith has not played a snap on D in something like 4 games

Super Bowl MVP riding the pine. That's a crazy good defense.
Some of us felt that Chancellor should've won the MVP award anyway.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2mdbdf5s said:
SeaChase":2mdbdf5s said:
themunn":2mdbdf5s said:
SeaChase":2mdbdf5s said:
Who? The announcers didn't mention his name enough for me to notice. But seriously, the first half we had like zero pressure. When I was paying attention I saw Irvin with 1 sack, 1 pressure and 1 tackle. I'm sure I missed a few things.

Really? I think the announcers spoke more about Irvin than any player on D other than Wagner. He was everywhere on Sunday

I didn't see the same. Because of a little conversation on here I paid a bit more attention to Irvin. For him playing every down, I didn't see a hole lot from him especially in the first half. I seen 1 tackle, 1 pressure, and the sack that came with 3 minutes left in the game. I think he's better as a situational pass rusher but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment.

You are biased and were bagging on Irvin in another thread. Give it a rest. You don't like him, we get that.

I'll bag all I want in any thread, get over it.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Irvin has been playing very well all season. The concept of this D doesn't allow any player to dominate in any one area. We will never have league leaders on sacks, int, or tackles. We play TEAM D where all the pieces do their part. That is the strength that drives the success. Everyone is All In. So anyone complaining about box score stats on players doesn't understand how PC has this thing clicking.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
If you're not seeing what Bruce is brining in a serious way, I guess you never will. He was making plays on their first drive all the way through their last drive. Frustrating to me that some people have to see him making THE play on every single down. That's just not his job. He does his job as well as anybody on our defense if not better.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Chawks1":3859c47d said:
Irvin has been playing very well all season. The concept of this D doesn't allow any player to dominate in any one area. We will never have league leaders on sacks, int, or tackles. We play TEAM D where all the pieces do their part. That is the strength that drives the success. Everyone is All In. So anyone complaining about box score stats on players doesn't understand how PC has this thing clicking.

I agree for the most part, but Sherman did lead the league in interceptions last year.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Yes Irvin is having a solid year, he is so fast and causes a lot of confusion on the offensive side of the ball so it seems. His strong point is keeping the edge but he is still sketchy at best on pass coverage. It looked like his man got behind him in the zone at least twice. But he is a lot better than he used to be and looks comfortable.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":yegyhvj2 said:
Jazzhawk":yegyhvj2 said:
SeaChase":yegyhvj2 said:

I'll bag all I want in any thread, get over it.
Oooo, you're such a bad man. :177692: Your posts make you come off as kind of a prick too.

Latest posts