Irvin in the last 2 games...

SeaChase

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":tvzg7751 said:
SeaChase":tvzg7751 said:
Jazzhawk":tvzg7751 said:
SeaChase":tvzg7751 said:
I didn't see the same. Because of a little conversation on here I paid a bit more attention to Irvin. For him playing every down, I didn't see a hole lot from him especially in the first half. I seen 1 tackle, 1 pressure, and the sack that came with 3 minutes left in the game. I think he's better as a situational pass rusher but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment.

I also missed about half of the first quarter.
You are biased and were bagging on Irvin in another thread. Give it a rest. You don't like him, we get that.

I'll bag all I want in any thread, get over it.
Oooo, you're such a bad man. :177692: Your posts make you come off as kind of a prick too.

That was the point, if you don't like it then don't quote and make stupid comments.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here for the dog chasing its own tail, getting dizzy, then throwing up and eating his own puke.

Chris Clemons [Bruce Irvin]
2007-2009(....)[2012-2013]
LB-LB-LB (.....)[DE-LB-LB)
Age 26-28 (....)[Age 25-27]
48 Games(.....)[42-43 Games]
15 Sacks(.......)[15.5+ Sacks]
43 Tackles(....)[92+ Tackles]
3 FF(...............)[2FF+]
3 PD(..............)[4 PD+]
0 INTs(...........)[2 INTs+]

+ = stats are still adding up until Irvin finish last two games.

Stats are also courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com

Those familiar with that site should have a bearing on Approx Value:

Clemons ('07 + '08 + '09) = 6 AV
Irvin ('12 + '13) = 10 AV + ('14 AV once calculated)

Also, the biggest thing to take note of in the side by side comparison is that I did not compare Clemon's first 3 years to Irvin's first 3 years.

Clemons was actually a rookie UDFA in 2003 and spent that year on a PS. He then made the Redskins roster for the 2004 and 2005 seasons before spending the year of 2006 out of football for whatever reasons.

So by the time Clemons starting hitting his stride and put up three consecutive years of stat-lines between 2007-2009, he was already a Professional athlete for 4 years, with 23 games of experience under his belt.

Now do the exercise again and compare those numbers to Irvin's first 3 seasons, where he was one of the rawest prospects in the draft, then was asked to play a position he's never played before.

Truth of the story: Irvin is handling himself quite nicely from where he's come from, and he's well on his way to becoming the type of player Clemon's was from 2010-2013. And by all means jump down off whatever high horse or soap box you're on and just let the guy grow into his own... and instead just trying to find every negative to turn against him while completely being impervious to all the good things he does on the field so you can push your biased agenda.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":24576u53 said:
I'll just leave this here for the dog chasing its own tail, getting dizzy, then throwing up and eating his own puke.

Chris Clemons [Bruce Irvin]
2007-2009(....)[2012-2013]
LB-LB-LB (.....)[DE-LB-LB)
Age 26-28 (....)[Age 25-27]
48 Games(.....)[42-43 Games]
15 Sacks(.......)[15.5+ Sacks]
43 Tackles(....)[92+ Tackles]
3 FF(...............)[2FF+]
3 PD(..............)[4 PD+]
0 INTs(...........)[2 INTs+]

+ = stats are still adding up until Irvin finish last two games.

Stats are also courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com

Those familiar with that site should have a bearing on Approx Value:

Clemons ('07 + '08 + '09) = 6 AV
Irvin ('12 + '13) = 10 AV + ('14 AV once calculated)

Also, the biggest thing to take note of in the side by side comparison is that I did not compare Clemon's first 3 years to Irvin's first 3 years.

Clemons was actually a rookie UDFA in 2003 and spent that year on a PS. He then made the Redskins roster for the 2004 and 2005 seasons before spending the year of 2006 out of football for whatever reasons.

So by the time Clemons starting hitting his stride and put up three consecutive years of stat-lines between 2007-2009, he was already a Professional athlete for 4 years, with 23 games of experience under his belt.

Now do the exercise again and compare those numbers to Irvin's first 3 seasons, where he was one of the rawest prospects in the draft, then was asked to play a position he's never played before.

Truth of the story: Irvin is handling himself quite nicely from where he's come from, and he's well on his way to becoming the type of player Clemon's was from 2010-2013. And by all means jump down off whatever high horse or soap box you're on and just let the guy grow into his own... and instead just trying to find every negative to turn against him while completely being impervious to all the good things he does on the field so you can push your biased agenda.

Good post. The agenda I started out with was simple. I made an observation - since Wagner came back - Irvin basically hasn't been standing out. That doesn't mean he sucks. But, you can take that statement and create your own agenda and or leap to assumptions. Which many did. Bobby Wagner is standing out, regardless of positions, and our D has been playing awesome ever since his return, and even with Mebane going on IR. Tell me that doesn't stand out? Defend Irvin all you want because I never said he was terrible.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I suppose that's true. Most of us kind of White Knighted that thread but it did seems their was some negative undertone of saying Irvin disappears.

But I think moral of that story is that Bobby Wagner is just a damn good football player.

Wagner has played like an All-Pro this year, he missed 5 games, and likely will still get over 100 tackles. The guy has been playing at a consistently high-level since Utah St. He's been on par with Luke Kuechly who was DPOY last year.

Irvin's job is to completely disappear.

- Hold the Edge/Point Of Attack
- Spy on the QB
- Take Away The Flat
- Blanket the TE

If anything if Irvin is making plays especially in Rush Defense, it means he's doing his job plus some. This defense really funnels everything to back triangle of Wagner-Thomas-Chanchellor to pick up tackles sideline to sideline and they switched-up Wright to kind of let him succeed with taking on many blockers, which helps him because he isn't as athletic as the other guys.

Irvin is just a unique player right now and we don't need him to stand out just be consistent at what the coaches want him to do. Not many defenses have 6'3, 255 pound Sam Linebackers that run 4.4 and one that is becoming very solid, very well-rounded Pass Rush, Rush Defense, and Pass Defense.

He still has a lot to learn but he has grown up quite a bit. Dude has a high ceiling to be a special player once he gets everything down and can just play football without thinking.

Latest posts