Irvin to Raiders (Clayton—9.25 million per year)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man still thinking about this. Hate losing talented players like Bruce, and he was key, especially as a spy against these mobile QBs. It will hurt to lose him mainly because I do not think we have a capable replacement for him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It wasn't so much that we "missed" Max Unger this season as we missed that the office did nothing to replace him. We will have to see what they do to replace Irvin before we can judge the impact of him leaving.

chris98251

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2su59vnn said:
It wasn't so much that we "missed" Max Unger this season as we missed that the office did nothing to replace him. We will have to see what they do to replace Irvin before we can judge the impact of him leaving.

They did do something, the young players they brought in just didn't step up to the level needed.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well here comes "the break up" people....

Good for Irvin, but we now have a role to fill that will likely take two players on different downs. Disadvantage roster numbers for the Seahawks, unfortunately.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":238a3vid said:
then you loose him for what a third maybe a 2nd if we are lucky.

Highest comp pick is 3rd round, and the NFL only awards a max of 4 3rd rounders. Jackson and Osemelee are already two of those (no way Irvin is getting that much), and Jenkins, Sean Smith, Vernon, Schwartz, and maybe Osweiler are still to come.

With Okung and Irvin I think the Hawks are slightly more likely looking at two 4ths than a 3rd and a 4th, although if Osweiler stays in Denver the math for one 3rd and one 4th for those two gets a little better for them.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":31zvowef said:
thegreeninyoureye":31zvowef said:

Highest comp pick is 3rd round, and the NFL only awards a max of 4 3rd rounders. Jackson and Osemelee are already two of those (no way Irvin is getting that much), and Jenkins, Sean Smith, Vernon, Schwartz, and maybe Osweiler are still to come.

With Okung and Irvin I think the Hawks are slightly more likely looking at two 4ths than a 3rd and a 4th, although if Osweiler stays in Denver the math for one 3rd and one 4th for those two gets a little better for them.

Still good value, especially since we'll be able to trade comp picks starting in 2017.

stack55

Reaction score
Happy trails Bruce. It was fun watching you play.
Good luck in Oakland or where ever you end up.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2or37g65 said:
Expected -- was never going to be re-signed here. Good for him, though.

That's a gamble for Oakland, but they have to spend the money somewhere. Sounds like their front office was hesitant but was talked into by Ken Norton.
Which means he won't be with the Tards nor Atlanta Thanks, Ken!
hawknation2016":2or37g65 said:
Please be for a lot. If we have to lose a quality starter, it might as well be for a decent comp pick.

Sac

Reaction score
We'll miss Bruce, but beyond that.
093036745b96854de3af56c34ec94eac.jpg

peppersjap

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":2adz9vng said:
That sucks I liked Bruce he was our best cover lb. Can not keep them all I guess. For all of those that would be happy with the comp pick I guess its better than getting nothing. Just sucks that you spend a 1st round pick on a player develop them for 4 years then you loose him for what a third maybe a 2nd if we are lucky. We don't even know if they will pan out I would of rather just kept Bruce. I understand though win some loose sum. The show must go on sad day for me but one I expected. I just had a little hope that we would retain him.
I hope you don't feel the same way once the $$$ figures come out. I think the Raiders must be throwing huge money at him. He will probably be making more than Bennett, Avril, and KJ Wright which is ridiculous. They are projecting him as this great rushing DE opposite Mack but he was never able to crack that position with us which led to the move to LB. I am glad he went to the Raiders instead of the Cardinals but I think it is another Byron Maxwell type signing, very good player who fit into a very good system.

themunn

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qz5p1ozz said:
thegreeninyoureye":qz5p1ozz said:

Unless those teams bring in high priced free agents to replace the ones lost.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It was inevitable he would leave. Although the Raiders might make for a great scenario. They have tons of cap space so they might overpay enough for him to get us a 3rd round comp and it's great for Irvin too. Rushing opposite Khalil Mack might very well turn him into a perennial Pro Bowler.

It's sad to lose him but we can't pay our 3rd best LB upwards of $10 million.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think this is one of those deals that may ultimately work out for everyone. Personally I'm pleased the guy will get his pay day. I've berated him for doing daft things on occasion but wish him all the best.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":eop2xh3l said:
Popeyejones":eop2xh3l said:
thegreeninyoureye":eop2xh3l said:

Still good value, especially since we'll be able to trade comp picks starting in 2017.

Oh, yeah.

The comp pick system is broken and I have all the respect in the world for the teams that take advantage of it (Hawks, Ravens, 9ers, etc)

Even two fourths (and maybe about another 6th with the possibility of a 6 or 7 on top of that) for just managing your salary cap is nothing to sneeze at.

soohawk

Reaction score
He was a lightning fast pass rusher and tackler of ball carriers, set the edge well and could spy mobile qb's when he was asked too. I am not surprised he left for a nice paycheck and its one we couldn't consciously offer him to stay, therefore this is a beneficial parting of mutual proportions as it provides him an opportunity to seek his worth on the open market and rejoin Ken Norton as they add pieces to an up and coming defense all the while helping the seahawks out with a nice comp pick next draft and allowing us to spend some money here or there while hopefully having a player waiting in the wings to replace him or allowing us to scheme a new wrinkle into our defense to cover up for his loss.

no fun when the family starts fracturing apart but we can't keep all the kids at home forever

Popeyejones

Reaction score
themunn":14xo2efe said:
Popeyejones":14xo2efe said:
thegreeninyoureye":14xo2efe said:

Unless those teams bring in high priced free agents to replace the ones lost.

Won't happen with those two b/c the Broncos and Ravens both let those guys go because they're up against the cap, in addition to being too smart as teams to burn the 3rd round comps they'll be getting on an offset (the ravens play the comp pick game as well as anyone).

We still have to wait and see what Irvin got, but I think it's safe to say it will be less than those two, and *should* be less than Vernon. The Dolphins also won't offset Vernon with Mario Williams because he doesn't go in the formula (he was cut, not a lost FA for the Bills).

If I'm a Seahawks fan and want that third round comp pick he's what I'm rooting for:

1) Osweiler goes back to the Broncos instead of going to the Texans (this is the huge one).

2) Janoris Jenkins to the Giants comes in lower than Irvin to the Raiders.

3) The Dolphins nab Sean Smith for a high enough dollar ammount to offset Vernon.

4) NFL teams for some dumb reasons still under-values right tackles and Mitchell Schwartz comes in under Irvin.

5) Nobody gets dumb and blows the bank on Andre Smith or Prince Amukamara.

I think #s 4 & 5 the Hawks are safe on.

I think #s 2 & 3 aren't likely to go the Hawks' way, although it's possible one of them does.

That's why #1 is so important. If Osweiler leaves the Hawks can even get lucky on hitting on either #2 or #3 and it still won't matter.

To be clear though, this is all based on guesses and dollar amounts. The raiders could have thrown stupid money at Irvin. It's not like they haven't done that before (as recently as 48 hours ago even :lol: )

In the Hawks favor is the Raiders have to get above the cap floor this year and stay above it for the next couple years to offset the previous two years, given the new CBA. There's DEFINTELY a chance. :th2thumbs:

EDIT: On the above list of things for Hawks fans to root for I've left off any of these top 4 or 5 guys getting injured for the year before they accumulate the snap % to enter the comp pick formula, just because I don't think anyone is or should be rooting for a player to ever get injured.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/707581917726691328[/tweet]

This probably will lead to one of the higher 4th Round comp picks, with an outside shot at it being a 3rd Round pick.