Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":309n2ho1 said:
Where do you come up with all this drama jargon? Mutiny, really? You are certainly in your own little world.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Pete gave Bevell his endorsement when that time comes. Brett Favre gave his support to him last year.

It would feel very incongruous for either Bevell or Cable to succeed Pete as head coach of the Hawks. This team's success over the past five seasons is primarily the result of a defense that has consistently been the best or damn close to it. A historic defensive run. The offense has, generally, complemented the defense with a strong run game that grinds down opposing defenses and keeps possession times favorable for the defense. At times, the offense has been explosive (end of '15 season), but frequently it has also been absolute garbage. There are very few times the defense let us down ('13 vs Colts; '15 vs Steelers; '14 vs Chiefs, Cowboys, and Chargers; this year vs Cards and Packers, a few others). The offense picked up the slack in the Steelers game, but that's about it. Now, we can expect this to some extent because of the disparity in cap spending on defense. Nonetheless, the players are human and the defense was pretty visibly exasperated at times last season, e.g. @ Cards when they gave the game their absolute all to keep us in it. That was a heroic effort.

Promoting either offensive assistant to HC would be disrespectful IMO. Our DCs are so sought after that they keep leaving and I wouldn't be surprised if Richard goes after this season, so there isn't an obvious heir. I just hope that neither Bevell nor Cable becomes HC. Our offense has been too inconsistent and the OL has been a downright disaster. Favre can say what he likes. I'm sure he has a good relationship with Bev. Just remember how the Vikes lost that championship game.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":wvjwswo1 said:
nash72":wvjwswo1 said:
seabowl":wvjwswo1 said:
The one question the pro Bevell folks have little to no answer for is.....

Why hasn't Bevell in the six years he has been here been offered another coaching opportunity, pro or even college?

We all know the answer.

Their answer is that he likes it here.
lol8.gif
And as I said before, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to see Bev succeed Pete when he retires in 3 years or so. Perhaps he's in the grooming process.

Just when I think I've seen it all, OMG!
I will buy you a $50 gift card to the restaurant of your choice if Seattle ever wins another SB with our incompetent OC. The only reason we make the playoffs every year is that the rest of the NFC West is a dumpster fire right now. If AZ gets their shit together, we will be left out. I simply cannot believe the extent of the man crush I am witnessing.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The Vikes lost that championship game due to turnovers.

I understand that the defense has been our driving force behind this epic franchise run, but not sure what that would have to do with Bev or Cable being promoted to the head job once Pete hangs them up?

Let's say we're talking 4 years. By then, the identity of our team could have a dramatic makeover, with the exception being Russell, who will still be in his early 30s and hopefully established as one of the best in the game. Maybe our team takes more of an offensive approach at that point to piggyback off of his talent. Bev knows him better than anyone, so it would be a natural transition.

Besides, a head coach has to be more of a facilitator and surround himself with talented assistants. A head coach has to do a little bit of everything, but be ready to make the tough decisions because the buck stops with them. This year, Bev, Cable and Kris Richard are learning plenty by monitoring their head coach.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":j4pe4201 said:
Siouxhawk":j4pe4201 said:
nash72":j4pe4201 said:
seabowl":j4pe4201 said:
The one question the pro Bevell folks have little to no answer for is.....

Why hasn't Bevell in the six years he has been here been offered another coaching opportunity, pro or even college?

We all know the answer.

Their answer is that he likes it here.
lol8.gif
And as I said before, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to see Bev succeed Pete when he retires in 3 years or so. Perhaps he's in the grooming process.

Just when I think I've seen it all, OMG!
I will buy you a $50 gift card to the restaurant of your choice if Seattle ever wins another SB with our incompetent OC. The only reason we make the playoffs every year is that the rest of the NFC West is a dumpster fire right now. If AZ gets their shit together, we will be left out. I simply cannot believe the extent of the man crush I am witnessing.
Do you even follow the team? We've not only win our division, but we've won at least one playoff game in each of the past 5 years. No one else but the Patriots can say that.

And can I just get the $50 in cash, please?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1txtenqd said:
I just don't think he's very good. He was made to look a lot better than he was as an OC because he had a world-class running back at the top of his game and a world class defense that intimidated the entire league.

When those two things were diminished, Bevell's shortcomings were more fully exposed and last season his being there was no doubt grating on some of our most important players.

"World Class Running Back At The TOP OF HIS GAME"......If Marshawn Lynch had BEEN AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME, he should have USED that prowess to put the TEAM on his back, and put the game OUT OF REACH for the Patriots to making the comeback that they did, and the "World Class Intimidating" Defense didn't do enough to shut Tom Brady down.........Blame goes to BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL, NOT just to ONE person.

Boycie

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2zuc4glb said:
I just don't get why anyone would blame Bevell for what was clearly the fault of execution of the play.

Because( and yes Roland, I started a sentence with "because") everyone here has such vast experience playing Madden, and they would have handed the ball off to ML. What more do you need to be converted to their cult? Just drink the damn purple look-aid.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nash72":2f3jwn4a said:
scutterhawk":2f3jwn4a said:
"Just An Observation" eh? IF "Mouthpiece" Sherman is calling out Bevell for ONE bad Play-Call, he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, and consider that he and the rest of the Defense were unable to hold Brady from mounting a 10 point come-back.
Like it or not, he has his SHARE of the blame for that loss.
"Prop Up A Weak Offense" by skunking the opposition's Offenses...Like they did with Manning. 43 to 8, or SAY NOTHING IN PUBLIC against your Teammates or Coaches, as this is not an attribute.

Calling out the secondary and throwing blame towards them for not performing in SB49 is kind of crazy. They were all hurt. Every single one of them. Sherman was out there basically playing with one arm. I applaud their performance rather than berating it. They manned up and played when lesser guys probably wouldnt have. The lack of pass rush was the biggest cause of giving up those points anyways.
YOU STEPPED RIGHT IN IT..I damned well KNEW of the "INJURIES" and, By your defending the anemic play by the Defense, and that something or SOMEONE else had their SHARE OF BLAME for that loss, you are ADMITTING that it SHOULD NOT have boiled down to JUST ONE BAD PLAYCALL, but rather, the lack of TEAM EXECUTION throughout the entire game........Injuries were a FACTOR, and Richard Sherman has to admit that he shouldn't be calling out ANYONE, as his inability, and the others on Defense to play at their best, DID have some influence on the outcome of the game.
I understand their frustrations, BUT, the LOSS WAS NOT ALL ON BEVELL....You Win as a Team, You Lose as a Team.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
scutterhawk":odrar0u4 said:
nash72":odrar0u4 said:
scutterhawk":odrar0u4 said:
"Just An Observation" eh? IF "Mouthpiece" Sherman is calling out Bevell for ONE bad Play-Call, he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, and consider that he and the rest of the Defense were unable to hold Brady from mounting a 10 point come-back.
"Prop Up A Weak Offense" by skunking the opposition's Offenses...Like they did with Manning. 43 to 8, or SAY NOTHING IN PUBLIC against your Teammates or Coaches, as this is not an attribute.

Calling out the secondary and throwing blame towards them for not performing in SB49 is kind of crazy. They were all hurt. Every single one of them. Sherman was out there basically playing with one arm. I applaud their performance rather than berating it. They manned up and played when lesser guys probably wouldnt have. The lack of pass rush was the biggest cause of giving up those points anyways.
YOU STEPPED RIGHT IN IT..I damned well KNEW of the "INJURIES" and, By your defending the anemic play by the Defense, and that something or SOMEONE else had their SHARE OF BLAME for that loss, you are ADMITTING that it SHOULD NOT have boiled down to JUST ONE BAD PLAYCALL, but rather, the lack of TEAM EXECUTION throughout the entire game........Injuries were a FACTOR, and Richard Sherman has to admit that he shouldn't be calling out ANYONE, as his inability, and the others on Defense to play at their best, DID have some influence on the outcome of the game.
I understand their frustrations, BUT, the LOSS WAS NOT ALL ON BEVELL....You Win as a Team, You Lose as a Team.

Can't you hear you above all that shouting...

MrThortan

Reaction score
Oh brother not this speculative narrative again :roll:

It is like a daytime soap around here sometimes

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3and4go7 said:
The Vikes lost that championship game due to turnovers.

I understand that the defense has been our driving force behind this epic franchise run, but not sure what that would have to do with Bev or Cable being promoted to the head job once Pete hangs them up?

Let's say we're talking 4 years. By then, the identity of our team could have a dramatic makeover, with the exception being Russell, who will still be in his early 30s and hopefully established as one of the best in the game. Maybe our team takes more of an offensive approach at that point to piggyback off of his talent. Bev knows him better than anyone, so it would be a natural transition.

Besides, a head coach has to be more of a facilitator and surround himself with talented assistants. A head coach has to do a little bit of everything, but be ready to make the tough decisions because the buck stops with them. This year, Bev, Cable and Kris Richard are learning plenty by monitoring their head coach.

Favre threw those picks... he is an all time great, but he tended to do that in bad spots. Just wanted to point out that as far as the Favre/Bev pairing took the Vikes that year, it came crashing down in the end. Damn that Saints D was opportunistic that year. Kind of funny that a year after Tracy Porter sealed that SB win for them, he was eating a face full of "baby stiff-arm," from the Beast.

If the offense is going to carry this team in the future, Bev needs to improve a lot, as do Wilson and the OL. These past years we've had a top 2 at worst D and the offense has been right around the 8-10 mark in points, except for this year, which I take with a grain of salt due to injuries. If the D is going to fall out of the top 5 or 10, the O needs to be top 5 without a doubt. Not just in efficiency, I'm talking about volume stats, throwing 40+ times a game and gunning teams down. The Hawks offense has never done this consistently except during the last half of 2015 (against garbage/injured teams).

I'd rather bring in someone entirely new after Pete leaves. I don't get the sense from watching pressers or what I see on the field that any of our assistants can operate at his level and be that inspirational and wise. Honestly, Richard seems the most suited to the role, he just received interest in a HC job from Buffalo, and he comes across really well both in press conferences and on the field during SFX clips. Really passionate dude and he seems both confident and humble. I'm sure many people here would hate him as HC though, and I'm not super excited about that prospect either. I'm sure Paul Allen can hook and bring in someone really dynamic when the time comes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fortunately, we shouldn't have to worry about a new head coach for the immediate future.

You bring up some good points. It appears that this year we'll being going back to our roots of playing stifling defense and implementing a punishing run game. That's the approach Pete likes best.

nash72

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2g1y0xre said:
nash72":2g1y0xre said:
scutterhawk":2g1y0xre said:

Lol. So your argument for a horrible play call was an injured defense didn't shut down the other team? With the injured defense we were still in a position to win the game and a horrible play call prevented it from happening. Simple as that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
But it needn't come down to that play. If the secondary prevents two 3rd-and-long pass plays to Edelman to move the chains early in the fourth, the drive resulting in the Amendola touchdown (where Maxwell got lost in coverage) never happens. It was a team loss. Many had the chance to step up and make 1 significant play that would have tilted the game in our favor. It didn't happen and that's sports.

But carrying on about it like a baby without its pacifier going on 3 years after the fact is misspent energy in my book, whether it be a player on a team or fan on the internet. The only thing meaningful is what we do going forward and as a Seahawk fan, there's no reason to stop saying "Why not us?"

Hyak

Reaction score
In general, the defense has been more consistently good than the offense but it's a team sport and part of leadership is ensuring that they work as a team and avoid pointing fingers.

The defense has not brought their A game in any of the last 4 playoff losses albeit the NE game was largely impacted by injuries both pre and in game. 30, 28, 31, 36. For a team that generally allows 14-17 PPG.

Not to say the offense isn't blameless. They squandered the chance to win SB 49 during and at the end of course. They frequently have been slow starters on offense in big games.

Special teams isn't blameless. Hauschka had a big role in both Cardinals games with missing the chip shot FG to force the tie and missing the XP that would have put them up by 1 with a minute left.

The big issue is here and now. The 2017 group needs to be a team. We instead of Me or Us and Them. The glass house mentality doesn't work.

cymatica

Reaction score
The fact that Bevell never admitted the playcall or personel could have been better, but instantly passed the blame should speak for itself.

I remember when Collinsworth brought it up, he asked Bevell why that play instead of a rollout or fade. Bevells response? "You didn't expect it did you". Ok, if the play worked, then fine. The play didn't work, yet he acts like it was the right play. Execution? How about design the play for a polished receiver who can consistantly execute. Or how about a play not so dependent on timing, on the goaline, especially with an offense trained to improvise.

randomation

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1vef2l35 said:
semiahmoo":1vef2l35 said:
I just don't think he's very good. He was made to look a lot better than he was as an OC because he had a world-class running back at the top of his game and a world class defense that intimidated the entire league.

When those two things were diminished, Bevell's shortcomings were more fully exposed and last season his being there was no doubt grating on some of our most important players.

"World Class Running Back At The TOP OF HIS GAME"......If Marshawn Lynch had BEEN AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME, he should have USED that prowess to put the TEAM on his back, and put the game OUT OF REACH for the Patriots to making the comeback that they did, and the "World Class Intimidating" Defense didn't do enough to shut Tom Brady down.........Blame goes to BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL, NOT just to ONE person.

You know what the instant he threw Lock under the bus I wanted him gone. He has never taken responsibility he put it on the shoulders of the fifth string wr. No adjustment no thinking that gee Matthews is killing them maybe I should send it to the tall dude. As for your other "points" Lynch would have been MVP if he ran it in that is putting the team on your back. The D was stifling the Pats until Avril got hurt despite being down Lane despite the D in general being hurt. We were at one point up 10 late and Kearse dropped a pass that would have put us in the redzone instead of punting. All of these are factors but the fact that Bevell never took responsibility and threw a fifth string wr/gunner under the bus instead means I want him gone and have wanted him gone since then.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
He never three Lock under the bus. He said "we" could have gone harder to the ball. And that's exactly what needed to happen. I'm sure when they ran that play in practice 100 times prior, Lock's closing speed was slightly better.

And Lockette was third on the depth chart, so your post is erroneous.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3cq8om81 said:
scutterhawk":3cq8om81 said:
adeltaY":3cq8om81 said:
our offense just doesn't compare to those of teams like the Pats, Broncos w healthy Manning.

LOL, I'm sorry, but this struck me as very funny....."The Broncos With A Healthy Manning"....Like a 43 to 8 "Healthy Manning"?
Lots of folks believing that Bevell is the main culprit, are denying some very pertinent facts, Facts like; Bevell having to design plays that has to include the shortcomings and brain-farts of a crappy O-Line....Having to account for stunts, & Blitzes.... Having to work around Running plays WITH INJURED RB's....All this, with a Quarterback that sometimes has to scrap a play, and improvise, because the play breaks down, and his Receivers couldn't get open.
ALL of the Best Offensive Coordinators can, and DO make mistakes....Bevell is no different.
It's also a possibility that we could bring in another OC, and things get worse too.
Just because some fans get pissed, Pete should just can Bevell?

Yup, those Broncos. They were consistently great from 2012 to 2014. It's not every week they had to face the greatest defense of all time. That would be like me trying to discredit the LoB because of the fourth quarter of 49 and calling them chokers without acknowledging any injuries. The Broncos were out Harris and Miller, among others, in 48 after all.

Injuries devastated the offense this year, in combination with the awful OL. The problem is. even when Wilson returned to close to full health, the offense was still crap. Rawls showed toward seasons end he could do great, but the run game was still very inconsistent. Pathetic against the cards first half and then explode for four TDs in the second. IDK, you just watch the Falcons divisional game where they had receivers running wide open what seemed like every other play and have to wonder why we can't get some more of that in our offense.

The Broncos with "Manning" in charge, won their way into the Super Bowl by putting up Historic record setting TD's and over 4,000 Yards of passing, against all on comers...That is UNTIL they ran into the very HEALTHY Seahawks LOB Defense................Fast Forward 1 YEAR.....The Patriots are facing a Defense that is a shadow of themselves, and are not able to stop (or even slow down) Tom Brady from mounting a 10 point comeback.
My Point?....Offense AND Defense are complicit....BOTH sides of the ball have their share of the Wins & Losses.
Harris-- Miller-- HEALTH, or lack thereof played a major role in why the Broncos lost?
HEALTH, or lack thereof played a major role in why the Defense couldn't close the deal with the Patriots.
As for the Falcons and their Receivers "Running Wide Open" ........Where was the LOB?.... Incomplete & INJURED.
Blaming just ONE person for any loss is "WEAK SAUCE"
Blaming Bevell for Cables O-Line misfires?.........This is suppose to be a TEAM Sport.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nash72":3k6mmb5m said:
Lol. So your argument for a horrible play call was an injured defense didn't shut down the other team? With the injured defense we were still in a position to win the game and a horrible play call prevented it from happening. Simple as that.
LOLOL You keep focusing on ONE PLAY CALL as the reason for the loss. LOLOL
Simple.......Very fitting :lol: Like chewing off your leg to get out of a trap.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
On a 53-man team with a full coaching staff, there are a lot of small reasons for dissonance, but I think it's equally true that the buck stops with Pete, and Bevell sucks at his job. Exhibit A: no one else has tried to hire him away, even as the rest of our staff is picked clean.

And re: OP: Marshawn looking at Oakland has nothing to do with Bevell. Lynch just wants to play for his hometown team. Nothing wrong with that.

And don't feel Siouxhawk, he loves to troll these Bevell threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.