Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3o9d5xj8 said:
Uncle Si":3o9d5xj8 said:
Siouxhawk":3o9d5xj8 said:
ZagHawk":3o9d5xj8 said:
It was not Bevells fault, but honestly they should have fired him after SB 49 as a way to start fresh. He could have been the fall guy to move on, but by keeping him the trouble went up to Carroll. Players are young emotional people. This needed to get done if they wanted to continue with this core group after that SB. Either that or start with a whole new core and get them to buy in on the whole thing over again.
With all due respect, that's the reaction losing organizations like the Niners or Browns would consider and maybe implement. We're smarter than that.

This is inaccurate. Teams let coaches go for a variety of reasons all the time. And while I had no issue hanging on to Bevell after 49, if the players not recovering their trust in the staff and thus each other is the residual effect of keeping him on then he should go.
But that's a big 'if.' We've heard not one soul on the team question his ability as an OC. It's all speculation. The only thing that came out of Sherm's mouth was his disdain for throwing from the 1. That's an important distinction.

It is a big "if"... but how much longer does the team let the wound fester (if it is indeed festering)

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18dlse0f said:
Big picture for me, Bevell is part of an elite group of owner, coaches and players that not only led us to our first SB by destroying the Broncos in biblical proportions............but also given us the most sustained success in franchise history.

So thats how he'll be remembered to you when he's brought up in future conversations? Wish I could be a fly on the wall when the other parties bring up 'The Play'.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":21kf2dup said:
Sgt. Largent":21kf2dup said:
Big picture for me, Bevell is part of an elite group of owner, coaches and players that not only led us to our first SB by destroying the Broncos in biblical proportions............but also given us the most sustained success in franchise history.

So thats how he'll be remembered to you when he's brought up in future conversations? Wish I could be a fly on the wall when the other parties bring up 'The Play'.

You seem so focused on the one negative instead of the many, many positives that have come from this era of Seahawks football.

Someone brings up "the Play" to me I have no issues saying "43-8" right back.

It's sports.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ge3zy90 said:
Uncle Si":1ge3zy90 said:
Siouxhawk":1ge3zy90 said:
ZagHawk":1ge3zy90 said:
It was not Bevells fault, but honestly they should have fired him after SB 49 as a way to start fresh. He could have been the fall guy to move on, but by keeping him the trouble went up to Carroll. Players are young emotional people. This needed to get done if they wanted to continue with this core group after that SB. Either that or start with a whole new core and get them to buy in on the whole thing over again.

This is inaccurate. Teams let coaches go for a variety of reasons all the time. And while I had no issue hanging on to Bevell after 49, if the players not recovering their trust in the staff and thus each other is the residual effect of keeping him on then he should go.
But that's a big 'if.' We've heard not one soul on the team question his ability as an OC. It's all speculation. The only thing that came out of Sherm's mouth was his disdain for throwing from the 1. That's an important distinction.

It is a big "if"... but how much longer does the team let the wound fester (if it is indeed festering)
Again, no evidence of that. And even if it were true, it means the buy-in to Pete's philosophy and trust would be lost, so that player would have to be removed to protect the team. But that's a hypothetical that I don't think is happening.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why does a player have to make way? Always compete is the mantra. If the players feel undone by the call and have not recovered then I would be just fine seeing a coach sent out

And we have evidence that something is wrong. Quit lurking in the shadows

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fuedsufd said:

It's not festering with Pete and John, and that's the only fester that matters.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":3lt65xkt said:
Sgt. Largent":3lt65xkt said:

Oh I have many Bevell haters in my life, including friends and people I see at our weekly Hawk parties.

But like the Bevell haters here, they are part time football watching ill educated football fans that simplify a very complicated conversation into one play that didn't work.............and that leads them to think it's the fault of the offensive coordinator.

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":26llpolz said:
nash72":26llpolz said:
Siouxhawk":26llpolz said:
Talent means little if not infused into the right system and culture. Not at the NFL level.

Show me a team loaded on both sides of the ball that doesnt have a good winning percentage and then i'll believe you.

Can think of a handful of teams over the last few years, including some Redskin, Chief, Raider, Steeler and Lions teams.

Also, this year's Vikings team.

Last years Vikings team had Sam Bradford under center. A weakness at the most important position. They also played an entire season without AP two seasons ago, so we can throw them out.

Last 3 seasons-
Steelers - (11-5, 10-6, 11-5)
Chiefs - (12-4, 11-5, 9-7) With Alex Smith
Redskins - (8-7-1, 9-7, 4-12) There defense went 19, 17, and 30th. Not loaded
Raiders - (12-4, 7-9, 4-12) 4-12 season Carr was a rookie and the defense was last in the league. 7-9 season the defense was ranked 22nd
Lions - (8-7, 7-9, 11-5) Do I really need to touch upon the Lions? No 1000 yrd running back in those 3 years and a defense that ranked 23rd in 2015, and 18th last season.

Your argument is flawed.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yu4fz4a said:
nash72":1yu4fz4a said:
Sgt. Largent":1yu4fz4a said:

Oh I have many Bevell haters in my life, including friends and people I see at our weekly Hawk parties.

But like the Bevell haters here, they are part time football watching ill educated football fans...

So anyone who hates Bevell is a "part time football watching ill-educated fan"?? That is a broad attack on a lot of people.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21fs2x2k said:
nash72":21fs2x2k said:
Sgt. Largent":21fs2x2k said:

But like the Bevell haters here, they are part time football watching ill educated football fans that simplify a very complicated conversation into one play that didn't work.............and that leads them to think it's the fault of the offensive coordinator.

Man, I wish we all could be as good of a fan and as smart as you. Your the guy at those parties thats standing in the corner and patting yourself on the back right? Anyways, those people bring up the play because it was largely touted as the worst play call in a football game ever, so its no wonder that its still on everybodys mind. I dont care what Bevell does, he'll always carry that baggage. Get used to defending him, because you'll be doing it a lot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1gi3dm83 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gi3dm83 said:
nash72":1gi3dm83 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gi3dm83 said:

But like the Bevell haters here, they are part time football watching ill educated football fans...

So anyone who hates Bevell is a "part time football watching ill-educated fan"?? That is a broad attack on a lot of people.

How else do you explain threads like this or people who want to say one play defines an offensive coordinators career?

Does that sound like a well educated sports fan? Doesn't to me, just sounds like a hater taking another cheap shot at Bevell.

nash72

Reaction score
How many people remember Bill Buckners career batting average? We all remember the ball rolling through his legs though.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
nash72":3fy9mzsw said:
How many people remember Bill Buckners career batting average? We all remember the ball rolling through his legs though.

How many people remember anyone's career batting average?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1wmynoxu said:
Again, no evidence of that. And even if it were true, it means the buy-in to Pete's philosophy and trust would be lost, so that player would have to be removed to protect the team. But that's a hypothetical that I don't think is happening.

How do you know it's just only one player that feels this way? Yes one player has been vocal but maybe he's voicing concerns that are within a larger group. Should they remove all of them then? A group of players over one or two coaches? The players have also contributed in the success of the team.

I don't believe anyone should be removed of one play. That's ridiculous. If removed it should be a culmination of consistent things that have occurred. For example, the OL strategy. That is a cause for removing a coach. The failure to manufacture TDs in the redzone especially when within the 10yds. That is a huge concern and has been a consistent weak point of the team. Yes they got 3 but should have had 7. They would have had a few more wins if they scored a TD rather than settled for FG. Then this thread would be moot or non-existent, most likely.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":29j6p1t6 said:

Why don't you ask Sox fans how they remember Buckner. I know many. It's rarely about Game 6. And any real Sox fan will tell you that Buckner's error led to the winning run, not the tying run, after blowing a 2 run lead with 2 outs. They'll tell you the pitcher first.

So this is a poor example

canfan

Reaction score
randomation":j6j2nuss said:
Siouxhawk":j6j2nuss said:
This just occurred to me the other day: Of all Seahawks coaches involved in at least 100 games, Bevell and Cable have the best winning percentage .664 (71-36-1) in franchise history. I think Carl Smith also joined the team in '11, so he'd be right there too.

It just occurred to me that none of those coaches had Russell Wilson now you are defending Cable too are you just trolling at this point? .

From what I see this place deserves trolling. It was one AWEFULLY BAD DISPLAY OF JUDGEMENT ON BEVELLS PART play! ONE out of about 60 or 70. If the offense hadn't played like crap outside of 2 long shots to Chris Matthews, the Seahawks would have been down big at half. If the defense could have overcome injuries and held a 10 point lead, we wouldn't have needed a TD with seconds left. If we had not blown a timeout earlier, we would have had 2 timeouts and could have taken one there to get the personnel on the field that would have allowed a run - or been able to run it knowing we could still stop the clock twice. If Kearse hadn't caught a pass while laying on his back we would not have even been close to the end zone and would have lost at mid field instead of the goal line.

But none of these "ifs" matter - lets blame it all on one play and one coach. Why? Because we like simple answers and because Chris Collinsworth told us all what to think about the play. If he had said "what an unbelievable play by Patriots" instead of blasting the Seahawks without paying attention to what personnel each team had on the field, maybe this wouldn't be such a slam dunk in everybody's mind. We are long past the point of rational discussion on this subject because many are set on a witch hunt and gang up on and ridicule any hold any opinion counter to the "group think" in this place.

If you want Bevel, Cable or even Carrol fired based on their body of work and can present a good argument, I can get behind having a discussion about it. But this irrational 10 page diatribe of self pity is not a discussion or even a debate. Its a 2 year old witch hunt that is killing the site.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":jy1k7sdj said:

Again, the uneducated knee jerk baseball fan says this.........but ask smart Boston fans, or smart baseball analysts and fans in general, and they do not define Buckner with this play.

In fact, most smart baseball people go out of their way to make sure you know Buckner was a VERY good player and should have never been railroaded into the failure of a player for this one play that he was.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":trdugcxo said:
Why does a player have to make way? Always compete is the mantra. If the players feel undone by the call and have not recovered then I would be just fine seeing a coach sent out

Because the patients don't run the asylum. And coaches are obviously being held accountable as the dismissal of Sherm Smith and Lofa Tatupu indicates this year.
And there has been no evidence of so-called festering feelings. It's all hearsay and media and social media driven.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2temnpfg said:
Uncle Si":2temnpfg said:

Because the patients don't run the asylum. And coaches are obviously being held accountable as the dismissal of Sherm Smith and Lofa Tatupu indicates this year.
And there has been no evidence of so-called festering feelings. It's all hearsay and media and social media driven.

There has been plenty of evidence. Again, what you substantiate as hearsay is fairly clear evidence to others. You can debate semantics if you want, does noone any good.

Dismissing low level coaches may be fine. But is an absurd leap to suggest that constitutes the level of accountability required by a team of this caliber. But if the problem and the lack of trust is elsewhere than it does no good.

I also bristle at your metaphor. Do you know this current Seahawks team? If you do, then you know the allowances given the players by the staff and the expectations that go along with it. They have similar that the staff should also be held to.

The rest is conjecture and you assumption to spin on your merry go round.

Status
Not open for further replies.