Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt144

Reaction score
You know what helps people get over things? An apology. And possibly being put in the stocks and enduring rotten fruits and vegetables being thrown at them. There's never been a tour of contrition by Bevell.

Bevell is like the golden child that shits the bed and then blames the cat for it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Or rather it's just unrealistic expectations on your part.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":54p94hk3 said:
You know what helps people get over things? An apology. And possibly being put in the stocks and enduring rotten fruits and vegetables being thrown at them. There's never been a tour of contrition by Bevell.

Bevell is like the golden child that shits the bed and then blames the cat for it.

1. Maybe Bevell and Pete don't think they need to apologize for a play that they thought would work because the statistics and formation packages backed them up?

2. Bevell could rent out KING 5 studio and publicly flog himself on live TV like the albino dude from The Da Vinci Code and you guys still couldn't let this go. 100 years from now when Anguish's great great great grandkids run the forum, there will still be Blame Bevell threads.

Jville

Reaction score
Chapow":p5efi9da said:
Any guesses how many pages this thread gets to before it gets locked?

Locking individual threads has no impact on the parties waging political anti-who ever campaigns. It's the same frozen and destructive message hurling the same insults against the same victims in thread after thread.

Hyak

Reaction score
Tical21":29v8omiz said:
The 19 guys that are still here are basically the biggest contributors from that team, sans a couple.

I'd honestly think less of them if they were able to just get over it. It's a Super Bowl on each of their legacies, and I have a feeling a couple of those guys take their legacies pretty seriously.

You think it's reasonable to obsess over a failed play from 3 seasons ago as opposed to focusing on the current game/season/opportunity? These are professionals.

I have no doubt that the loss was crushing for the entire team - coaches, players, etc. Pete sure would have wanted another SB win. But you dust yourself off, learn from it, and move on. That said, Richard Sherman's takeaway that there should never be passes from the one yard line is MORONIC. It's a simplistic, reactionary stance that ignores all of the different elements that going into a play call and successful result.

Wallowing over a setback for the rest of time would do more to tarnish their legacies than the loss in SB 49. I'd add BTW that of the HOF caliber players on this team, the outcome of that game is a blip on their resumes. For guys like Thomas, Sherman, Kam, and perhaps Wagner and Bennett, the resume is being on a historic defense that led the league in scoring defense for 5 straight years.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kpkn8kq said:
mrt144":2kpkn8kq said:

1. Maybe Bevell and Pete don't think they need to apologize for a play that they thought would work because the statistics and formation packages backed them up?

2. Bevell could rent out KING 5 studio and publicly flog himself on live TV like the albino dude from The Da Vinci Code and you guys still couldn't let this go. 100 years from now when Anguish's great great great grandkids run the forum, there will still be Blame Bevell threads.

Dude, if #2 happened I'd be singing the praises of Bevell for going through the motions of penance. I'd flip on a dime.

"Bevell screwed the pooch again today but at least I know he's beating himself up over it, literally."

WmHBonney

Reaction score
JTB":3vr9k53m said:
Tical21":3vr9k53m said:
My friend, I fully expect this to be a thing for about as long as I live. Will probably always be the most pivotal play in Super Bowl History. And it happened to our hometown team. With an all-world running back. From the one yard line. On second down. Thrown to our 5th WR. There will probably never be a coach second-guessed as much as Bevell is/was. Every single time you see Darrell Bevell's face, don't you think of that play? Every single time? And we didn't fire him. So we have to continue looking at that face and reliving that moment, over and over again. 2 years? We're just getting started.

Really? They have played 36 games since that SB, including 4 playoff games. 19 players are currently on the roster that were even on that team. Fans are irrational but if there are players sitting around obsessing about a play call 3 years ago that's on them. Get help if this is all you relive over and over when watching a game.

2014 is as meaningless as 2013 was. 2016 is done. It's a new year and all that counts is 2017.

So we only have 19 players still on the roster that suffered through the worst call in the history of football. Take a GOOD look at who those 19 players are. They are the heart and soul of this team. They busted their asses to put the team in a position to win in spite of all the injuries. Yes, there were other plays that could have gone our way. However, the fact remains that on that last series, we were in a position to win and along comes the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. Those 19 players have NOT forgotten that. They have to report to work every day and wonder how the person responsible for that horrendous call is still with the team. They see a double standard when it comes to being held accountable. When that play happened, I knew that this team would never get over it. You simply don't get that many opportunities to win a SB. This team will only recover when A) we get rid of those 19 players or B) we get rid of Bevell.
And, before this post gets picked apart by the guy who would eat the peanuts out of Bevell's poop, I contend that we win DESPITE having Bevell. We are able to win DESPITE piss poor play calling simply because the talent on this team is so great. However, when the talent alone isn't enough to overcome the OC's mistakes, then we lose. That happens more in the playoffs because the teams are more evenly matched. It happens more now during the season because our roster has been depleted due to free agency. We no longer have the depth that we once did. We are no longer able to overcome Bevell's incompetence. I watch every game. There are many plays, even successful ones, that were bad play calls. That is because the players make them successful. Not because they were good calls. As I have said before, there is a reason why Bevell has not been hired away to a head coaching gig.

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z3qqgn55 said:
mrt144":z3qqgn55 said:

In the aftermath of the game, both Pete and Bevell took responsibility for the play call. They thought it would work and it didn't. Reasons for why it didn't are well documented and discussed.

Maybe Tharold Simon should apologize for being destroyed in the 2nd half of that game. Should Kearse apologize for getting bitched by Browner on his rub route?

mrt144

Reaction score
JTB":3ocxuem5 said:
Sgt. Largent":3ocxuem5 said:
mrt144":3ocxuem5 said:

In the aftermath of the game, both Pete and Bevell took responsibility for the play call. They thought it would work and it didn't. Reasons for why it didn't are well documented and discussed.

Maybe Tharold Simon should apologize for being destroyed in the 2nd half of that game. Should Kearse apologize for getting bitched by Browner on his rub route?

Kearse probably feels worse about it than Bevell does.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1ycz7m66 said:
JTB":1ycz7m66 said:
Tical21":1ycz7m66 said:
My friend, I fully expect this to be a thing for about as long as I live. Will probably always be the most pivotal play in Super Bowl History. And it happened to our hometown team. With an all-world running back. From the one yard line. On second down. Thrown to our 5th WR. There will probably never be a coach second-guessed as much as Bevell is/was. Every single time you see Darrell Bevell's face, don't you think of that play? Every single time? And we didn't fire him. So we have to continue looking at that face and reliving that moment, over and over again. 2 years? We're just getting started.

Really? They have played 36 games since that SB, including 4 playoff games. 19 players are currently on the roster that were even on that team. Fans are irrational but if there are players sitting around obsessing about a play call 3 years ago that's on them. Get help if this is all you relive over and over when watching a game.

2014 is as meaningless as 2013 was. 2016 is done. It's a new year and all that counts is 2017.

So we only have 19 players still on the roster that suffered through the worst call in the history of football. Take a GOOD look at who those 19 players are. They are the heart and soul of this team. They busted their asses to put the team in a position to win in spite of all the injuries. Yes, there were other plays that could have gone our way. However, the fact remains that on that last series, we were in a position to win and along comes the worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. Those 19 players have NOT forgotten that. They have to report to work every day and wonder how the person responsible for that horrendous call is still with the team. They see a double standard when it comes to being held accountable. When that play happened, I knew that this team would never get over it. You simply don't get that many opportunities to win a SB. This team will only recover when A) we get rid of those 19 players or B) we get rid of Bevell.
And, before this post gets picked apart by the guy who would eat the peanuts out of Bevell's poop, I contend that we win DESPITE having Bevell. We are able to win DESPITE piss poor play calling simply because the talent on this team is so great. However, when the talent alone isn't enough to overcome the OC's mistakes, then we lose. That happens more in the playoffs because the teams are more evenly matched. It happens more now during the season because our roster has been depleted due to free agency. We no longer have the depth that we once did. We are no longer able to overcome Bevell's incompetence. I watch every game. There are many plays, even successful ones, that were bad play calls. That is because the players make them successful. Not because they were good calls. As I have said before, there is a reason why Bevell has not been hired away to a head coaching gig.
Or maybe they see the guy who will provide the solution for getting them back to the Super Bowl and are proud to work with him.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Yes, Bevell is certainly at least partially to blame - but so is PC for not dealing with it more directly/effectively and so are some of the core who were there then and still with the team now who can't move on.

Granted, having to deal with repeatedly asinine play calling from time to time likely re-opened that old wound and that again falls on Bevell.

I just don't think he's very good. He was made to look a lot better than he was as an OC because he had a world-class running back at the top of his game and a world class defense that intimidated the entire league.

When those two things were diminished, Bevell's shortcomings were more fully exposed and last season his being there was no doubt grating on some of our most important players.

Then again, if he had been replaced, perhaps that replacement might have been even worse?

It all comes back to PC as well. Last season might very well have been the beginning of the end of the PC era. He'll try to remedy that this season, but it will be no small task. He took us to the Super Bowl twice and we won one and lost one. Sadly, because of how that loss played out, in many ways it now overshadows the Super Bowl win. The team has not been the same since and Pete appears unable to stop the decline. The Hawks have remained a playoff team because of talent, not because of coaching IMO. And we have not been a Super Bowl worthy team since the Super Bowl loss.

Last season the Hawks were not a top tier team by the end of the season. We were a mess.

What team shows up in 2017 is anybody's guess - but it's not feeling too good right now. Too many festering wounds from the past remain, and Bevell might be the worst of those.

DARRELLBEVELL#1

Reaction score
chris98251":1pujwed7 said:
Lynch
Sherman
Baldwin
Graham

Have all had issues with Bevell, sure they may sweep it under the rug for image and appearances, but this trend goes back to his time in Minnesota as well.

There is an issue and we may not know just how deep it goes.

But there is an issue, you can smell it, see how the team extends themselves to cover for it.

Just like the no issue in the Locker Room with Harvin denied until there was no more Harvin and then we find out, just like Tate and his under offer and that they would have increased it and there was a missed phone call, yet he had had a issue with Wilson prior.

You guys can slobberfest over Bevell and say nobody said something specifically all day, you more then likely won't know the truth till well after the issue has been resolved and someone has moved, on be it a player or a coach and they may not be the ones actually in the discussion.

You forgot MAMA LYNCH! Come on man!

- Bev

seattle-seahawks-offensive-coordinator-darrell-bevell.jpg

Hyak

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1hzkfg7m said:

First off, there's no evidence that all 19 players are unable to move on because Bevell is still around. Since SB 49, the following players have signed extensions with the Seahawks despite their intense non-belief in the leadership and coaching of the team if your contention is true:

Russell Wilson
Doug Baldwin
Jermaine Kearse
Luke Wilson
Michael Bennett
Bobby Wagner
Jeremy Lane
Deshawn Shead
Jon Ryan

Other members of the "19" include Britt, Gilliam, Richardson, Marsh, KJ Wright, Pierre-Louis, and the LOB (Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor) who already were into their 2nd contracts.

So let's boil this down to who isn't buying in? The LOB? I have no doubts they took the loss the hardest because all 3 of them balled ass while being significantly injured in that game. Kam had the holdout for more money and then came back and sure appears to be back in line with the team. Earl is posting stuff right and left about going for another championship and how driven he is. It comes back to Sherman.

Is the 19 really just one guy?

As for the results since then, I don't know how you pin it all on the OC when the team allowed 31 and 36 points in the two playoff losses. Don't get me wrong, the offense had issues as well but those were complete team losses and I don't believe the defense is in any position to point fingers.

nash72

Reaction score
JTB":3t364nva said:
But you dust yourself off, learn from it, and move on.

Have they learned from it though? I think that might be Shermans biggest gripe.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":3c47hval said:
JTB":3c47hval said:

I would agree with that. Has to be frustrating seeing the same old crap plays over and over again.

Don't agree with Sherman being so public about his frustration, but I do understand it.

nash72

Reaction score
JTB":2w5ghdq5 said:
In the aftermath of the game, both Pete and Bevell took responsibility for the play call.

When did Bevell officially say it was his fault? Not saying he didnt but I sure dont remember that. I remember him saying Lockette didnt go to the ball hard enough (thats why he should have never been involved in the play to begin with), but never saying it was is own fault and owning up to it.

Hyak

Reaction score
nash72":wgtmeneq said:
JTB":wgtmeneq said:

So the takeaway is to never ever throw from the one yard line even when the run game is bad?

On the play in question, they ran a fade pass to Graham that Wilson badly underthrew to where the Rams LB was able to compete for the ball and it ended up being reviewed and ruled as an incomplete pass because Graham had partial possession and was out of bounds. The play call, if executed properly, is either a TD or an incomplete pass. If it had been picked off, it was all on Wilson.

Two plays later, they execute and it's a TD pass to Baldwin.

The lesson is to execute.

strohmin

Reaction score
JTB":10xa3gj9 said:
Sgt. Largent":10xa3gj9 said:
mrt144":10xa3gj9 said:

How hard is it to make the decision to give the ball to the most powerful runningback in the league against a gassed defense on the 1 friggin yard line on 2nd and goal?

mrt144

Reaction score
JTB":1ujh4gj7 said:
nash72":1ujh4gj7 said:
JTB":1ujh4gj7 said:

So the takeaway is to never ever throw from the one yard line even when the run game is bad?

On the play in question, they ran a fade pass to Graham that Wilson badly underthrew to where the Rams LB was able to compete for the ball and it ended up being reviewed and ruled as an incomplete pass because Graham had partial possession and was out of bounds. The play call, if executed properly, is either a TD or an incomplete pass. If it had been picked off, it was all on Wilson.

Two plays later, they execute and it's a TD pass to Baldwin.

The lesson is to execute.

Execute so well that the playcalls, personnel, pre game prep, defensive weaknesses and strengths observed in game and pre game are irrelevant. Just do what we do and if there's ever a failing lets only focus on how the players could have made a play better, not ask ourselves, "to what degree were the players put into a position to deliver".

I guess I take it for granted that every player can do better than they currently are and subsequently focus on the purely cognitive skillset of coaching to put fallible players in the best positions to be less so.

Hyak

Reaction score
nash72":2k60bp4z said:
JTB":2k60bp4z said:
In the aftermath of the game, both Pete and Bevell took responsibility for the play call.

When did Bevell officially say it was his fault? Not saying he didnt but I sure dont remember that. I remember him saying Lockette didnt go to the ball hard enough (thats why he should have never been involved in the play to begin with), but never saying it was is own fault and owning up to it.

He took responsibility for making the play call. He didn't apologize for it and he shouldn't. He thought it would work and it would have if the 3 guys involved would have executed it properly - Wilson, Lockette, Kearse. Of the 3, Kearse was the biggest culprit as he totally lost his battle, allowing Butler to have a clear route to the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.