Is it on Russell tonight?

12HawkFan

Reaction score
On RW???

Your nuts.

Give RW an offensive line that is in the top ten units in the league and we could go 16-0.

80% passing, no INT's.

The D was a major part of this win but they were not on the field when RW hits a 50 pass play to put the nail in the coffin.

A win is a win, PERIOD.

GO HAWKS!!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
While I'd agree that Wilson missed a few passes, it is actually an indictment on Detroit's defense that Wilson wasn't 24/26.

Just because Wilson had a good completion %, doesn't mean he didn't miss some easy throws.

That said, our OL is atrocious. Wilson is great at improvisation, but if he's going to carry this team, he has to cut down on dumb mistakes.

It's hard to really be too critical of Wilson. On one hand, I want to, On the other hand, he gets immediate pressure on so many plays, that I can't blame him for getting some pressure and dropping his head and looking for an out instead of keeping his eyes downfield.

Wilson has needed to work on his pocket presence for a couple of years, but how is he supposed to progress when the OL is so inconsistent ?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Are people losing perspective because they have forgotten what a real offensive line looks like?

What Wilson did tonight on plays that were in the crapper before they started was something of near miracle status.

formido

Reaction score
Three years ago everyone thought Brady was done. Turns out those of us who said it was his offensive line were right. Do you think Brady would do better with two defensive lineman and a tight end blocking for him?

Rawls averaged 2.8 yards per carry today. This is a team that specifically grooms offensive lineman to run block and give up some pass blocking ability. So when the line isn't even run blocking well, what does root cause analysis suggest is the problem with the offense?

Russell can do a lot with a little, our resource allocation strategy depends on it, and I agree with this strategic personnel trade-offs. However, the corollary is that today's game is what a good--but not great--game looks from our elite QB. Only Rodgers would have been better.

kearly

Reaction score
Up until the fumbles I thought this might have been Wilson's best game. He had no help at all and had to pull plays out of thin air all game long.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":d5bwu0ag said:
Up until the fumbles I thought this might have been Wilson's best game. He had no help at all and had to pull plays out of thin air all game long.

Yup

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson did not play a great game despite his stats, though he had one really great drive with legitimately bad protection all thanks to his improv skills. He made a few throws that made me say wow, but he also made a few decisions, and missed a few plays that would've have most likely led to a lopsided game. The read option play where Graham was running wide open being the most obvious one. I also spotted Graham wide open several other times, Wilson REALLY needs to look his way more. He's the best receiver on the team, and he can bail him out of some tough situations if Wilson gives him a chance.

The thing that Wilson really needs to work on is identifying the blitz. All season long the key to stalling our passing game is sending an extra blitzer around the perimeter. The Lions spent a lot of time sending their corners, and safeties on outside blitzes. That is on Wilson, and Bevell to identify when those are coming, and make defenses pay. Instead I saw Wilson holding onto the ball for too long, and plays called that did not have a viable check-down option. When the Lions send more guys than you have blocking, you need to make them pay, the Seahawks have not been able to punish defenses when they use this tactic. We will continue to see this until we can prove that we can beat the blitz.

SirTed

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":7r093h9w said:
80% completion. Inaccuracy?

Worse game as a pro? Wtf...

We were lucky we had Wilson tonight. Any other qb gets sacked 10 plus times.

I kinda think both points of view are right.

One the one hand, there's no QB in the league who makes the play prior to the Baldwin TD other than Russ...

The OL was horrible tonight. Somehow, maybe the worst that's been. And as far as throwing the ball, I thought it was Wilson's best game of the season. I can't speak to his decision making once the play began, but based on what I saw on TV, I thought it was fine, save for the lack of a throw to Graham on the read option pass. But I thought he was throwing a good ball tonight. I have no complaints there.

With that being said, HOW many times were the Lions going to come with that blitzer off the edge and get home? I mean, MY GAWD. Russ never adjusted. He didn't slide protection, he didn't ever change the play to take advantage. I just don't understand his lack of pre-snap adjustments. He either can't see them, is told not to check out of plays, or is too stubborn and thinks he can backyard his way out of any jam. I tend to think it's the last. IMO, he really thinks that he can hold out until the play comes open.

Rob12

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":jp3f94hr said:
Wilson did not play a great game despite his stats, though he had one really great drive with legitimately bad protection all thanks to his improv skills. He made a few throws that made me say wow, but he also made a few decisions, and missed a few plays that would've have most likely led to a lopsided game. The read option play where Graham was running wide open being the most obvious one. I also spotted Graham wide open several other times, Wilson REALLY needs to look his way more. He's the best receiver on the team, and he can bail him out of some tough situations if Wilson gives him a chance.

The thing that Wilson really needs to work on is identifying the blitz. All season long the key to stalling our passing game is sending an extra blitzer around the perimeter. The Lions spent a lot of time sending their corners, and safeties on outside blitzes. That is on Wilson, and Bevell to identify when those are coming, and make defenses pay. Instead I saw Wilson holding onto the ball for too long, and plays called that did not have a viable check-down option. When the Lions send more guys than you have blocking, you need to make them pay, the Seahawks have not been able to punish defenses when they use this tactic. We will continue to see this until we can prove that we can beat the blitz.

So you demand perfection. RW will never win you over.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yes, this win was all on Russell Wilson tonight. He stepped up and made things happen in spite of being crushed on every other play. His line couldn't stop the lunch rush at Shady Acres Retirement Home tonight. And still he got it done, at least enough for the win.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":1mguedoj said:
Even with those fumbles it didn't actually change that he had nothing yet worked magic like a guy named Elway or Montana. And did you see Lockett run those beautiful routes all night long? I really hope Richardson gets all the way back. Those two with Graham might be unfair.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1sj5leai said:
Yes, this win was all on Russell Wilson tonight. He stepped up and made things happen in spite of being crushed on every other play. His line couldn't stop the lunch rush at Shady Acres Retirement Home tonight. And still he got it done, at least enough for the win.
Yep, I voted for him for game ball. Over one play Kam. Though I wish I'd included Hauschka in that poll. Oh well, too late now.

Wilson is the reason we have a chance at all. Even if he makes mistakes, so what? He's not the problem, the oline is.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3bksphdm said:
Totally agree a W is a W and any W is far from ugly even if this one was a squeaker. No W is genuinely ugly.

I appreciate many think RW can do no wrong but he was 'off' tonight.
Nope^

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1893lyes said:

:13:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Rob12":nxrknzv2 said:
Spin Doctor":nxrknzv2 said:

So you demand perfection. RW will never win you over.
How is this "demanding perfection"? This is something every top tier QB is able to do. When teams blitz Manning, Rodgers, Brady, etc they make teams pay dearly for it. What I want to see is for Wilson to take more ownership of the offense, and most of that starts with the pre-snap reads and adjustments.

erik2690

Reaction score
jammerhawk":30bb76zr said:
I appreciate many think RW can do no wrong but he was 'off' tonight.

Are you serious? You say "worst game as a pro", people disagree and you come back with "can do no wrong". There's a world between those giant extremes.

erik2690

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2y3v93bf said:
The read option play where Graham was running wide open being the most obvious one.

I believe Lineman downfield, would not have counted.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
The team won "ugly" but hey, it is a "W," and will go far with us into the season. What I find the most concerning is the O-Line, not RW.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
After finishing the game I thought we won, after visiting this site I'm not so sure anymore

lobohawk

Reaction score
PSA: saying Russell wasn't the main fault for all the offensive woes, doesn't mean someone is an apologist or thinks he's perfect.