Is it possible Wilson's poor play was due to a concussion?

A

Anonymous

Well, listening to the comments on the NFL morning show, Arrington and TD both think that Russell and the Seahawks are still going to get it done.

Consensus seems to be that we are somehow strategizing for keeping Lynch fresh?

I saw the slow get-up from Russ, but it didn't look like it was a big deal. He seemed pretty coherent in his post-game press conference.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2yrxuk9x said:
I've watched a few Lions games and Calvin Johnson's been used as a decoy, and I have no doubt him just being on the field has helped Golden. This week was the first week he was out and Golden struggled his way to 44 yards receiving.

We could definitely do with that big, go to, redzone guy. I'd be surprised if we weren't one of, if not the smallest WR group in the league.

Was Percy Harvin not supposed to be the league's greatest decoy. Enough excuses. You'll notice that ADB went off and then RW started pulling the trigger. The balls were being put in catchable places, but the Cowboys DBs made some incredible plays.

The trend of pulling the trigger must continue.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Wow. Are we really going to do this?

RW is now missing open receivers? One guy points to one play and suddenly RW is missing open WRs all the time. Meanwhile, no one from the actual broadcast team or local media are saying the same thing. I'm sorry, but you better bring more than one play where one WR is open before anyone can say RW is missing wide open receivers with regularity.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2kc6ptee said:
SomersetHawk":2kc6ptee said:
I've watched a few Lions games and Calvin Johnson's been used as a decoy, and I have no doubt him just being on the field has helped Golden. This week was the first week he was out and Golden struggled his way to 44 yards receiving.

We could definitely do with that big, go to, redzone guy. I'd be surprised if we weren't one of, if not the smallest WR group in the league.

Was Percy Harvin not supposed to be the league's greatest decoy
. Enough excuses. You'll notice that ADB went off and then RW started pulling the trigger. The balls were being put in catchable places, but the Cowboys DBs made some incredible plays.

The trend of pulling the trigger must continue.

That's different, he's mainly been used as a decoy for the shorter stuff, how often do you see Calvin Johnson in the backfield?

On the few occasions we actually let Percy run routes, he tends to draw double coverage, and we need to let him do it more if we're to continue throwing the ball as much as we are.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
truehawksfan":25csiuwv said:

RW is now missing open receivers? One guy points to one play and suddenly RW is missing open WRs all the time. Meanwhile, no one from the actual broadcast team or local media are saying the same thing. I'm sorry, but you better bring more than one play where one WR is open before anyone can say RW is missing wide open receivers with regularity.

Every qb misses open receivers, it happens. Even to Russ. But he has no trust in his receivers either. He has no go to or bail out guy. And it's hurting Russ as a player.

We drafted a decent sized "possession" receiver who can go up and get contested balls. At least that's what I read post draft. And yet he can't even get on the field. Or the coaches refuse to put him out there. Throw a guy out there and see what he's got. Is it really that hard? This coaching staff is so damn frustrating sometimes.

seahawks08

Reaction score
keatonisballin":2wmnuvk7 said:
truehawksfan":2wmnuvk7 said:

Every qb misses open receivers, it happens. Even to Russ. But he has no trust in his receivers either. He has no go to or bail out guy. And it's hurting Russ as a player.

We drafted a decent sized "possession" receiver who can go up and get contested balls. At least that's what I read post draft. And yet he can't even get on the field. Or the coaches refuse to put him out there. Throw a guy out there and see what he's got. Is it really that hard? This coaching staff is so damn frustrating sometimes.

Make Percy the guy, make him a deep threat. I think we will be ok.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Christ on a corn dog Tate is benefiting from Megatron! Here he would be drawing the coverage. We don't have anyone to take the heat off except maybe Harvin and the staff rarely sends him past the line of scrimmage.
I also suspect that Russell has become too afraid to take chances that might turn the ball over. Our staff needs to work on our route tree's and loosen up the reigns on Russ. Our offense line on the other hand needs to establish itself by us running the ball. They pass block better later after getting into a rhythm road grading.

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1gsuslr6 said:
Christ on a corn dog Tate is benefiting from Megatron! Here he would be drawing the coverage. We don't have anyone to take the heat off except maybe Harvin and the staff rarely sends him past the line of scrimmage.
I also suspect that Russell has become too afraid to take chances that might turn the ball over. Our staff needs to work on our route tree's and loosen up the reigns on Russ. Our offense line on the other hand needs to establish itself by us running the ball. They pass block better later after getting into a rhythm road grading.

Megatron actually hasn't been playing much the last few games.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":1t4w3zi1 said:
Tokadub":1t4w3zi1 said:
I didn't want to bring this subject up because it's all just theoretical, we have no proof. But if it is true, I doubt it's something the coaches would want to make public... I'm just so mad right now about how we played that game I don't even care anymore of keeping this thought process to myself... OK here goes...

Did anyone else consider that Wilson had a really bad game VS Dallas because he took so many hits last week against the Redskins? Wilson possible suffered some form of concussion which could explain why he looked so lost out there VS Dallas. It was as if the coaches told Wilson to never run in that game unless he was 100% sure he wouldn't take any hits.

Wilson was more indecisive than I have ever seen him. It was as if he wanted to run on so many plays but didn't because of the coaches. He was also off target with many passes, he dropped the ball on his first run of the game when simply passing it from his right to left hand, and he threw it to Walters for an obvious loss of yards on one of the ugliest plays I've ever seen.

This is all behavior that is extremely uncharacteristic of Wilson, a player who relies entirely on making split second decisions decisively and correctly. It could also explain why we barely ever ran the ball because the coaches were afraid Wilson would take the option to hold onto the ball causing him to take more hits.

Our Offensive line needs to be fixed ASAP but I don't think there's anything we can possibly do with how poorly we handled this off-season.

And please don't blast me for this idea, obviously it's just my opinion of what could of happened which would explain a lot of things in that game offensively.

It is possible, However 4 drops by our WR did not help, nor them not getting open. Its also possible RW is just tired after that performance Monday and needed some help and got none. I mean he is the only Elite QB to not have a true #1 wr or even a go to guy that almost always gets open, combine that with bad o-line and maybe he is just tired.

He is a great playmaker.

He is not an elite passing QB, not by a long shot.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
truehawksfan":39s0zsc7 said:

The second and 6 to Kearse on the second to last drive was a play almost all college QBs make.

Wilson is not an elite passer from the pocket.

On the run? YES
A Magic playmaker? YES
The most prepared player in the NFL? YES
Smart as a whip? YES
A great leader? YES
Hampered by his vision from the pocket? YES
Unable to throw open WRs consistently? YES

This is the NFL, there is not team in the league that has guys just running wide open every play, check out some of the completions Rodgers or Rivers makes. Those are elite throws into tight windows with defenders drapped on the WR.

Stop with this WRs arent open garbage. If he throws a nice back shoulder on 4th and 6 it would have been a rather easy catch for the WR, they had the back shoulder like they wanted Wilson just wasnt accurate.

So we take the good with the bad, Wilson is awesome in many areas, but he isnt that great in others, its life in the NFL.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Baldwin is getting open. Last game I key'ed on him. Kearse is not getting any separation. We miss Miller or the lack of a big body , catch in traffic receiver. Willson does not know how to use his body to shield the ball and make the catch. In a lot of ways a power forward works like a good big receiver. They rotate their back into the defender and shield, make the catch or go to the hole.

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2xz1s7v3 said:
Anthony!":2xz1s7v3 said:
Yeah it helps when you are in a pass happy offense and have Calvin Johnson on the other side, Like I said having a true #1 always helps and Tate is getting those rewards.

Detroit is #18 in pass attempts per game, and Calvin Johnson has been hurt since the 2nd half of Week 3, missed the last game entirely, and was barely utilized the week before.

Tate is ballin' for Detroit. Leads NFL receivers in YAC. Can't diminish what he's doing. Detroit isn't running the same high octane offense that you guys are used to and Calvin hasn't even been on the field long enough to help Golden. You can't explain away his production. He's getting it done in a normal offense as the de facto #1.

Dude just him being out there make a difference, then add in o-line, play calling this is not about the QB it is about the play calling, having a true #1 on the other side, and having time. Tate is not the defacto #1 he is the 32 and he is in a pass happy offense much more than us and they run different plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take for the closet to open up and Wilson bashers to come out. If we lose again it will start to look like Hass 2.0 around here and people clamoring for Clipboard Jesus.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SeaChase":35leg5n4 said:
SoulfishHawk":35leg5n4 said:
Screw Brian Billick

Why? Because he's an ex-coach with a Super Bowl ring who can watch game film, pause it, and circle all the people who are open while Wilson scrambles around and takes hits? Are you just mad that he's pointing this out?

He's the 3rd most hit Qb in the league because he scrambles around and takes forever to throw the ball. Now, on Wilson's defense, this "COULD " possibly be because of the play calling "but" we are passing more often now, and there are open receivers.

Percy Harvin isn't a #1 receiver? Funny how these pedestrian receivers were getting it done last year, and now there back to pedestrian who can't get open. We don't have Tate any more, but was he a legitimate #1 receiver?

Elite Qb's make receivers good.

wow really at least have a clue. He is the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league because his o-line cannot pass block. Hugh MIllan and Brock did there analysis and found the Wr not getting any separation or open and the O-line not blocking. Guess what MH also a SB winning coach said the same thing. Guess what most of the experts have been saying all year the o-line is the biggest problem on the team, So that si why we ignore one lone guy just trying to be different and ignore the fact everyone else see. So lets see 2 former players who played QB or one former coach who did analysis on 1 game while the other 2 do it every week. Last year footballoutsiders.com did an analysis of the sacks and guess what 28 were on the o-line, 14 just good coverage and only 1 on the QB that pretty much prove my point

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... crambling/

Anthony!

Reaction score
SeaChase":1aahd1fq said:
hawksfansinceday1":1aahd1fq said:
SeaChase":1aahd1fq said:
SoulfishHawk":1aahd1fq said:
Screw Brian Billick

Why? Because he's an ex-coach with a Super Bowl ring who can watch game film, pause it, and circle all the people who are open while Wilson scrambles around and takes hits? Are you just mad that he's pointing this out?

He's the 3rd most hit Qb in the league because he scrambles around and takes forever to throw the ball. Now, on Wilson's defense, this "COULD " possibly be because of the play calling "but" we are passing more often now, and there are open receivers.

Percy Harvin isn't a #1 receiver? Funny how these pedestrian receivers were getting it done last year, and now there back to pedestrian who can't get open. We don't have Tate any more, but was he a legitimate #1 receiver?

Elite Qb's make receivers good.
You in no way addressed the counterpoint to your post that was made stating Brock Huard said WRs were not getting open. Why? He's an ex-QB that played in the NFL. I believe Warren Moon has said the same thing and he's in the HOF. Did you ever think that maybe Billick wants to see Russ fail because he was one of the many that said he would at the NFL level? I don't know whether he was or not, but considering 2 ex-NFL QBs have said the opposite, I'm suspicious that Billick has some sort of axe to grind in this situation. That's not to say Russ doesn't miss open receivers. Of course he does. All QBs do.

Some people automatically blame the QB for every struggle an offense has and maybe you're one of those guys. All I know is I saw like 3 plays in a row in the latter part of the 2nd quarter (IIRC) where he actually had plenty of time to throw (it isn't all the o-line either folks, it's never as simple as one thing being the problem) and stood back there with nowhere to put the ball and Aikman said as much.

And yes, Russ had a poor game Sunday too. The entire offense pretty much did. This post is not meant to make ecuses for him. It is never as simple as one area of the unit being the source of the problems be it QB, o-line, WRs, play calling, etc. This game was a shit storm of all of the above IMO.

I didn't address it because I haven't heard their opinion personally. I saw Billick's segment with my own eyes and what he was saying and showing was spot on. I'm constantly yelling " throw the damn ball" during the games. In the very first game, the first thing I noticed was how quick Wilson was getting the ball out compared to last season. Then, for whatever reason, he went right back to being hesitant and holding the ball to long.

Like you said, this and offensive woes could be for numerous reasons.

However, you didn't address the Elite Qb question. Elite Qb's make pedestrians receivers look good. So is he really Elite, or is he just an Elite game manager?

Yes they do and yes he has, but he cannot catch it for them too. 8+ drops in 2 games? enough said

Anthony!

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3cou61wq said:
brimsalabim":3cou61wq said:

Megatron actually hasn't been playing much the last few games.

ahh he missed 1 game and tate did little without him

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":1lucqm19 said:
Anthony!":1lucqm19 said:
Tokadub":1lucqm19 said:
I didn't want to bring this subject up because it's all just theoretical, we have no proof. But if it is true, I doubt it's something the coaches would want to make public... I'm just so mad right now about how we played that game I don't even care anymore of keeping this thought process to myself... OK here goes...

Did anyone else consider that Wilson had a really bad game VS Dallas because he took so many hits last week against the Redskins? Wilson possible suffered some form of concussion which could explain why he looked so lost out there VS Dallas. It was as if the coaches told Wilson to never run in that game unless he was 100% sure he wouldn't take any hits.

Wilson was more indecisive than I have ever seen him. It was as if he wanted to run on so many plays but didn't because of the coaches. He was also off target with many passes, he dropped the ball on his first run of the game when simply passing it from his right to left hand, and he threw it to Walters for an obvious loss of yards on one of the ugliest plays I've ever seen.

This is all behavior that is extremely uncharacteristic of Wilson, a player who relies entirely on making split second decisions decisively and correctly. It could also explain why we barely ever ran the ball because the coaches were afraid Wilson would take the option to hold onto the ball causing him to take more hits.

Our Offensive line needs to be fixed ASAP but I don't think there's anything we can possibly do with how poorly we handled this off-season.

And please don't blast me for this idea, obviously it's just my opinion of what could of happened which would explain a lot of things in that game offensively.

It is possible, However 4 drops by our WR did not help, nor them not getting open. Its also possible RW is just tired after that performance Monday and needed some help and got none. I mean he is the only Elite QB to not have a true #1 wr or even a go to guy that almost always gets open, combine that with bad o-line and maybe he is just tired.

He is a great playmaker.

He is not an elite passing QB, not by a long shot.

and yet the facts and stats show you wrong but keep trying you have been waiting for chink in Rws armor every since you said he would not be any good, keep waiting.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":2k7tkwnq said:
truehawksfan":2k7tkwnq said:

The second and 6 to Kearse on the second to last drive was a play almost all college QBs make.

On the run? YES
A Magic playmaker? YES
Smart as a whip? YES
A great leader? YES

This is the NFL, there is not team in the league that has guys just running wide open every play, check out some of the completions Rodgers or Rivers makes. Those are elite throws into tight windows with defenders drapped on the WR.

Stop with this WRs arent open garbage. If he throws a nice back shoulder on 4th and 6 it would have been a rather easy catch for the WR, they had the back shoulder like they wanted Wilson just wasnt accurate.

So we take the good with the bad, Wilson is awesome in many areas, but he isnt that great in others, its life in the NFL.

and yet his QB rating in the pocket is over 100 and his complt % form in the pocket is over 60R both stats showing the truth that he is a elite passer in the pocket.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ket-or-out

enough said

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":wg7ur7yg said:
Jacknut16":wg7ur7yg said:
truehawksfan":wg7ur7yg said:

On the run? YES
A Magic playmaker? YES
Smart as a whip? YES
A great leader? YES

and yet his QB rating in the pocket is over 100 and his complt % form in the pocket is over 60R both stats showing the truth that he is a elite passer in the pocket.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ket-or-out

enough said

You sure are predictable, I knew when you included a link that it would be VERY old, and sure enough, Jan of 2013, 21 months ago.

He threw the least from the pocket of any QB n the league last season for a reason.

And like I said before since you cant seem to read, when he has good sight lines he does just fine, and he is smart enough to not throw bad passes from the pocket , hence why he scrambles so much, because he is limited in what he can see.

Just because he cant see doesn't mean he isn't an effective player , he already is.

But he has weaknesses with his limitations seeing at times, to say otherwise is just trying to coddle him.

Anthony!

Reaction score
northseahawk":3lk8txv0 said:
Anthony!":3lk8txv0 said:

That same none-elite ex Seahawk Tate who couldn't get "open," turned out to be an elite-level wr now with another qb. just saying. Maybe the problem is not all with the wrs.

You mean that same Wr playing in a pass happy offense opposite one of the best Wr ever. Yeah I am sure that helps wish we had a true #1