Is it SB or bust?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A Divisional playoff win makes this season a success. Nobody should be demanding a SB.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20ddo5hb said:
A Divisional playoff win makes this season a success. Nobody should be demanding a SB.

But the team won its division in regular season play. Why isn't that a successful "season"?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Getting to the divisional is what I expect.
Getting to nfccg would be real special b/c we haven't been there for so long.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
To me SB or bust applies to teams like the Saints who have to blow it up after the season or KC since they won it last year and are the consensus best team in the NFL to most everyone. Any team not in those 2 categories can't logically have a SB or bust monicker attached to them

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":mh1yy12n said:
I'm always a SB or bust, moreover, I'm a Lombardi or bust type of fan. Since 1976, the only time an NFL season has ended in which I achieved total satisfaction was in February of 2014.

Realistically, I think we survive our first round game but will lose in the divisional round or the NFCCG. I can't see anyone stopping the Packers.

RolandDeschain":mh1yy12n said:
Erin folds like a house of cards if he has to play from behind. If we start off aggressive on offense and also blitz heavily and creatively at the beginning, we could take a nice lead and never have to look back.

We're historically a slow starter. I can't remember the last time we scored a TD on our opening drive.

The Packers have won 7 of their last 8, including last week's decisive win over a very good team in the Titans in inclement weather that was supposed to have favored the running of Derrick Henry, and kept him under 100 yards. Aaron Rodgers has thrown just 5 picks all season and is favored to win his 3rd MVP. They get HFA they're going to be tough to beat on the frozen tundra.

I'm both an optimist and a realist. I like what we've seen recently, particularly defensively, and we're relatively healthy and are getting some key players back for our playoff run, so I see us in a better position than we were at this time of the year last season. But the competition is about to get A LOT better.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RiverDog":24j16q9l said:
RiverDog":24j16q9l said:
I'm always a SB or bust, moreover, I'm a Lombardi or bust type of fan. Since 1976, the only time an NFL season has ended in which I achieved total satisfaction was in February of 2014.

Realistically, I think we survive our first round game but will lose in the divisional round or the NFCCG. I can't see anyone stopping the Packers.

RolandDeschain":24j16q9l said:
Erin folds like a house of cards if he has to play from behind. If we start off aggressive on offense and also blitz heavily and creatively at the beginning, we could take a nice lead and never have to look back.

We're historically a slow starter. I can't remember the last time we scored a TD on our opening drive.

The Packers have won 7 of their last 8, including last week's decisive win over a very good team in the Titans in inclement weather that was supposed to have favored the running of Derrick Henry, and kept him under 100 yards. Aaron Rodgers has thrown just 5 picks all season and is favored to win his 3rd MVP. They get HFA they're going to be tough to beat on the frozen tundra.

I'm both an optimist and a realist. I like what we've seen recently, particularly defensively, and we're relatively healthy and are getting some key players back for our playoff run, so I see us in a better position than we were at this time of the year last season. But the competition is about to get A LOT better.

There was this one time at Band Camp......... :twisted:

I dont recall either tho. We start very slow to try to take the game and control the game by our defense. This year has been a progression.

Have a Happy Seahawks New Year all.

Boohman14

Reaction score
The team is peaking at about the right time. The teams with the toughest fight in the playoffs tend to win it all. We will have a tough fight to get there for sure but I'm in it for the ride either way. Each season is unique and I don't worry about the future composition of the team until the season's over.
As for the draft choices we lost for Adams. I say we totally fleeced the Jets. The lack of college football played this year,and likely next, will make this upcoming draft a bigger crap shoot that usual. Plus we always draft near the end and usually trade down. We have some good young talent and they're getting better as they get more playing time. Every team faces the cap. Winning is expensive.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with this season. I enjoyed 11 wins so far. Only had to watch 4 losses to date.

But success comes in degrees. If u look at my job, I don't consider success to be the top guy in my profession. That would be great of course but to put that degree of pressure on myself will only lead to misery. So being good at what I do is what I consider success. Being able to provide for my family so we can enjoy a comfortable worry free lifestyle is a success. But not being number 1 shouldn't be the only definition of success.

So every season we make the playoffs is a success. Every playoff win is a success. Every divisional championship is a success. They are all just relative. Winning a SB is a joy that so far has been a once in a lifetime event. More like marriage and birth of your child. Whereas playoffs and divisional championships are more like a great vacation or special anniversary

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
RiverDog":3f4zsi7g said:

I assume you're talking about in the playoffs because the Seahawks scored a TD on their opening possession at least 5 or 6 times this season including the Jets in week 14 & both Arizona games & the first Rams game & that's just off the top of my head.

Edit: Just looked it up & they did it 6 times. They also scored on their opening drive of the season against Atlanta, I remember thinking this was a good sign for the season, & in week 4 against the Dolphins.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Welshers":xvz71qt9 said:
What do we need to do to consider this season a success?

I'll take any year where the team isn't clawing for a playoff spot on week 17, especially needing help from other teams, or worse.

That means the team is competitive and fun to watch on a weekly basis.

We all want to see more than that, and if you have some specific goals involving which playoff games they win that's fine.

But I feel bad for the people who are absolutely miserable unless this team is winning Super Bowls, and of course blowing teams out every week on the way there. Or to put it another way: they're almost always miserable. Enjoy what you can now, you never know when the next decade full of no playoff berths is coming. I don't watch sports to be angry.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":20yu5eq1 said:
RiverDog":20yu5eq1 said:

I assume you're talking about in the playoffs because the Seahawks scored a TD on their opening possession at least 5 or 6 times this season including the Jets in week 14 & both Arizona games & the first Rams game & that's just off the top of my head.

Edit: Just looked it up & they did it 6 times. They also scored on their opening drive of the season against Atlanta, I remember thinking this was a good sign for the season, & in week 4 against the Dolphins.

Also just looked it up & the last time they scored a TD on their opening drive in a playoff game was against Atlanta in 2016 so they're on a 3 game streak of not scoring a TD on their opening drive in the playoffs.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
The answer is yes. We traded 2 first round picks for Adam's essentially going all in with our HOF quarterback and HOF head coach who are getting older. Our window isn't closing per season but we're on the back side of it.

Winning only 1 superbowl but having such long term success can be debated when this run is over just like is Peyton Manning run in indy a success w only 1 ring....

StoneCold

Reaction score
If they lose on Sunday, and then go 1 and done in the playoffs, I will still consider this year a success for the Hawks. Football is entertainment, and in a year where I sorely needed the distraction, they have exceeded and succeeded way above what I expected. Anything else is gravy.

AgentDib

Reaction score
gowazzu02":vhwn4t0o said:
The answer is yes. We traded 2 first round picks for Adam's essentially going all in with our HOF quarterback and HOF head coach who are getting older. Our window isn't closing per season but we're on the back side of it.
Drafting well gives your team a "Super Bowl window" while those players on rookie contracts, and trading for Adams counts as drafting given the two first round picks involved. However, we've also done well with personnel besides Adams over the last couple of years and that can sustain success indefinitely as long as we don't play excessive games with the salary cap, which we haven't (yet).

Obviously a lot will depend on this off-season, as it should, because that's what makes the NFL exciting to follow year in and year out. But take a look at the following value cap hits in 2021:
Insane value: Metcalf for $1.2m, DJ Reed for $0.9m
Great value: Cody Barton, Rasheem Green, Ugo Amadi, Damien Lewis, Will Dissly, Tre Flowers, Michael Dickson, Jamarco Jones, Alton Robinson, Colby Parkinson, Deejay Dallas, Phil Haynes for ~$1m each
Good value: Blair for $1.7m, Collier for $3m, Brooks for $2.7m, Diggs for $5.5m, Shell for $5.5m, Lockett for $12m

There is a lot of value in that group of players and we should continue to be good so long as we can keep replenishing it.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
AgentDib":21mh4woq said:
gowazzu02":21mh4woq said:
Drafting well gives your team a "Super Bowl window" while those players on rookie contracts, and trading for Adams counts as drafting given the two first round picks involved. However, we've also done well with personnel besides Adams over the last couple of years and that can sustain success indefinitely as long as we don't play excessive games with the salary cap, which we haven't (yet).

Obviously a lot will depend on this off-season, as it should, because that's what makes the NFL exciting to follow year in and year out. But take a look at the following value cap hits in 2021:
Insane value: Metcalf for $1.2m, DJ Reed for $0.9m
Great value: Cody Barton, Rasheem Green, Ugo Amadi, Damien Lewis, Will Dissly, Tre Flowers, Michael Dickson, Jamarco Jones, Alton Robinson, Colby Parkinson, Deejay Dallas, Phil Haynes for ~$1m each
Good value: Blair for $1.7m, Collier for $3m, Brooks for $2.7m, Diggs for $5.5m, Shell for $5.5m, Lockett for $12m

There is a lot of value in that group of players and we should continue to be good so long as we can keep replenishing it.

The thing about the adams trade is its not just 2 first round picks we gave up. Its more like 5 to 8 lower round picks since seattle always trades down multiple times. Is it the right move? If we win the super bowl yes. Definitely. If we don't then extend adams to the highest safety salary ever maybe not.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A good point was made about the playoffs in terms of Divisional Playoff round.

If we lose to the Saints, it would be hard to call this season a failure.

However, if we lose in the wildcard as a likely #3 to the likely #6, then it would be hard not to call it the same.

I am hoping for the Saints but the wildcard game concerns me. Completely winnable though.

However, while not a failure - it couldn't be called a success either if we lose to the Saints.

Because the point is to advance, to show progress. Progress for this team would be to finally win a divisional playoff game...something it has failed to do since the SB loss.

Admittedly we have already made some progress. We went from looking like a pathetic laughingstock in divisional playoff games since our SB loss (where we were down multiple TDs at halftime each time), to actually playing a reasonably close game last time.

But with this QB and this roster, it would make no sense if we could do little more than beat wildcard teams for all the time we had a great elite QB in his prime, after our SB loss. We don't need to win a conference playoff game, but we should still at least make one every now and then. Falling short the way we usually do would be a disappointment. Especially considering how much we mortgaged our future to make a run this year (as pointed out by another poster).

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The problem with thinking this team has to show improvement over last year is the lack of continuity of many players on the team. There are certainly some major players continuing -- RW, Carson (when healthy), Lockett, Metcalk, Brown on offense, BWags, KJ, Shaq, some of the D-Line on defense.

But we've had a lot of turnover, too, and that means it's not the same team. This is a new year with new challenges. Emphasizing continuity as a basis for raising the bar of success is neither logical nor appropriate.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":o50h5yz9 said:
Every fan will have his or her own expectation on this question, and it drives much of the disagreement on this board.

Each milestone has it's own degree/level of satisfaction for me. My expectations are rather low, as this is a tough league in which to play. Winning means everything comes together at the same time (health, roster, execution, play-calling, coaching, refs, ball-bounce, etc.)

1. Have a winning season? Accomplished this year, and some teams didn't. My expectation at a minimum has been met.
2. Win the division. If there's a 1 in 4 chance based on the number of teams in the division alone, then getting it once every 4 years would an appropriate expectation. We've won it more often than that in the last 20 years, so I'm pretty happy with the regular season generally.
3. High seed in the playoffs. Always been nice to get a bye in previous years, but it hasn't happened often for us. We still have a chance this year, and I'll be thrilled with 1st seed, and quite happy with 2nd or third.
4. Win a playoff game. This puts us in the top of the league. If we make postseason, I expect to win one game to be satisfied as a fan. It's hard to win in the post-season.
5. Make it to the NFCCG. That's a bonus for me.
6. Win NFCCG and go to super bowl. Beyond any expectations in any year, but always what I hope for.
7. Win super bowl. Cloud 9. So very hard to do, especially with the same coach and QB. The dream of every fan, and never an expectation.

Maslow's hawkarchy...I like it

capncrunch

Reaction score
Well. Definitely no to the poster's question. At the beginning of the year I didn't think we would win the division. At the midpoint I didn't think we would win the division. Now hear we are sitting on top of the vaunted NFC West. Wow! Probably a 12 win season coming our way. The defense is kickin butt again. I'm ecstatic right now. Hmm, could the postseason derail that ecstasy? Yeah, it could. I need one win for sure and the divisional round has to at least be a close one.

There are 32 teams. Wow! That's quite a feat to be on top of the heap. Being a Seahawks fan is a pretty darn good place to be and it has been since Pete came to town. Imagine being a Browns fan last week after they lost to the Jets instead of clinching their first playoff berth in eons. Imagine being a 9ers fan this season or the Patriots! I think we have some great football to enjoy in the coming weeks. At home, since I can't really go to a sports bar. Now that is a disappointment. Thanks guys. Let's enjoy the ride!

Latest posts