Is Mahomes better than Wilson?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
They have a lot in common, and he is younger whereas Wilson has taken a beating for 8 years (terrible OL consistently).

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think RW is slightly better but not by much. Mahomes however looks much better because he’s not handcuffed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's really hard to do an apple-to-apples comparison of them. Mahomes is in a great scheme with an intelligent offensive coach that really sets him up for passing success. Not comparable to our scenario at all.

I think Wilson is definitely hamstrung from what he's capable of being, though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Believe it or not, we could compare the two without taking an opportunity to push the anti Pete agenda, but we only have 15-20 of those topics so whats one more?

Back to the topic at hand, Mahomes also has electric weapons at his disposal. But you can see he is special.

I think if you put both guys in the same system they probably produce similar results. Russ has been doing it longer. Mahomes has a ways to go before he reaches Russ' accomplishments but I think its possible he may be even slightly more talented than Russ, which is high praise indeed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think we are going to find out in 2 weeks.
I think they are both on the same level.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
PM has a gadget offense that all Andy offenses with any QB does well in
This is why I don't buy into the hype.
PM does have a better line,better depth and healthier players all season.
Imagine if RW had his top TE's all season..His RB's all season.
Oh PM has a better D this season and about same as ours last season.
PM cannot take hits like RW however..That small frame isn't going to
hold up like RW's and you absolutely can see it on his face..Wait a couple
more seasons when he loses that extra step..
I take RW and his experience over PM..In our offense PM would choke.
In theirs RW would do better numbers for sure.
I'm not fooled and your not getting me to believe otherwise. :irishdrinkers:

knownone

Reaction score
Lots of rationalizing going on here.

Yes. Mahomes is better than Wilson. They have a similar skill set and the overall gap between them isn’t a large one, but Mahomes can do everything Russell does and he has a stronger arm.

blazen2392

Reaction score
He is probably the most talented QB ever to play in the NFL. But he also has a better line, more weapons, and a better offensive-minded coach. wilson will never realize his full potential with our offensive schemes. I think he is a little better even in a level playing field. He is younger with a stronger arm.

xray

Reaction score
Mahomes is ALLOWED to be better than Wilson . It shows what happens when the hounds are unleashed .

themunn

Reaction score
Alex Smith was able to throw for 4000 yards, 8 YPA, 26 TDs and 5 Ints in his last season at KC - 104.7 QB rating. That's not far off Wilson's stats for this year (5 TDs more but other stats almost identical). So it's really hard to dissect just how much of Mahomes insane stats come from his ability, and how much from the team surrounding him, because there's no way Alex Smith would have put up those stats playing for us.

I will say that if there IS any QB in the NFL better than Wilson, it's Mahomes, however.

When the team was fully healthy at the start of the season Wilson's stats were just as insane. With Penny and Metcalf making huge strides towards of the season, and the emergence of Hollister after Dissly went down, I'm hopeful that to start next season when Britt returns & maybe we improve at guard and pick up a good third option in the receiving game, then Wilson will be back to his barnstorming best.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
The experts at 710 just said Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL... with Wilson #2.

As someone else said... we'll see in 2 weeks. Wilson has a history of getting it done in the clutch. Mahomes does have the stronger arm.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It will be interesting to see how the SB shakes out. Lot of similarities to the script in 2013.
KC is loaded though, on both sides of the ball. Hard to see them folding the way Peyton's Broncos did. Mohomes is the real deal and has that prototypical size going for him. Smaller guys always get short end of the stick in the comparison wars.
Strong arm does not necessarily equal better long ball.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Mahomes best QB in the league right now,but Russell is still the man for the late decisive score. :2thumbs:

Ozzy

Reaction score
You can't compare the two because of vastly different situations, offenses, supporting casts and coaching philosophies. I do think these are the best two in the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love Mahomes, but the comparisons are silly when Russell has Chris Carson, Lockett, a rookie WR and 2nd and 3rd string TE's to work with................AND the worst pass pro O-line in the entire league.

So let's revisit this comparison after KC has to give Mahomes 40M a year and doesn't have 100M of their cap space to spend on their O-line and all those weapons on offense.

Yes Mahomes is special, there's no denying that. But I don't like these conversations when it's apples and oranges cap wise, scheme wise and surrounding talent.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b51fa0w said:
I love Mahomes, but the comparisons are silly when Russell has Chris Carson, Lockett, a rookie WR and 2nd and 3rd string TE's to work with................AND the worst pass pro O-line in the entire league.

So let's revisit this comparison after KC has to give Mahomes 40M a year and doesn't have 100M of their cap space to spend on their O-line and all those weapons on offense.

Yes Mahomes is special, there's no denying that. But I don't like these conversations when it's apples and oranges cap wise, scheme wise and surrounding talent.
This

getnasty

Reaction score
Trade players and contracts and i bet Seattle is the better team but there still 2 of the best in the league.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Mahomes certainly looks like a better version of Wilson, but Reid's system is more dynamic than ours. That being said Mahomes has Russel's athleticism with better arm talent. Just not sure his brain is better because Reid's system sets the table for him nicely.

Latest posts