Is PC's competition mantra too much pressure on the players?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Alcohol is a drug; it's well known that overuse of this drug can lead to seriously negative consequences. This does not stop people from abusing alcohol or drinking and driving. Some of us eat too much junk food (I'm looking in the mirror on that one). Some stay out partying too late when they have to work the next day. What's the point? Sometimes people do stupid things, even when they know better.

While I agree that six positive Adderall tests in the program is not a good thing, I'm not willing to jump to conclusions that there's some conspiracy or concerted effort by management and coaches to skirt or ignore the rules (as some people have suggested).

Obviously team management and the coaching staff are likely going to have to increase education, but even that doesn't guarantee success. One of the great ironies of the USC fiasco with Reggie Bush was that the NCAA actually stated that USC did a good job of educating players and their families about the rules. Obviously that education was ignored by Reggie and his family. Likewise, Pete and the Seahawks are not going to be able to babysit all the players, all of whom are grown men who must be held accountable for their own actions.

As to the question of whether Pete's Always Compete approach causes added stress that can lead to some guys wanting to take shortcuts, anything is possible. However, I think it's no more likely than the stress of competing on any other NFL team. NFL football has become a big business. The difference between starting and not starting could mean a lot financially to a player. That's true whether that player is a Seahawk, a Patriot, a 49er, a Raven, or a member of some other team.

McGruff

Reaction score
NinerLifer":fbwymzl5 said:
Throwdown":fbwymzl5 said:
NinerLifer":fbwymzl5 said:
In light of the growing popularity With PED's in your guys locker room, do you guys think that your teams sudden emergence as a contender and the coinciding positive drug tests on your team go hand in hand, or just a coincidence?

No, its this guy

435639887 640

I agree.

I imagine that this MB would go into complete meltdown if a report came out that showed RW tested positive for PED's next.

No, we would just assume PED's are a naturally occurring phenomena in RW's super human bloodstream . . .

McGruff

Reaction score
sc85sis":35yinct9 said:
Alcohol is a drug; it's well known that overuse of this drug can lead to seriously negative consequences. This does not stop people from abusing alcohol or drinking and driving. Some of us eat too much junk food (I'm looking in the mirror on that one). Some stay out partying too late when they have to work the next day. What's the point? Sometimes people do stupid things, even when they know better.

While I agree that six positive Adderall tests in the program is not a good thing, I'm not willing to jump to conclusions that there's some conspiracy or concerted effort by management and coaches to skirt or ignore the rules (as some people have suggested).

Obviously team management and the coaching staff are likely going to have to increase education, but even that doesn't guarantee success. One of the great ironies of the USC fiasco with Reggie Bush was that the NCAA actually stated that USC did a good job of educating players and their families about the rules. Obviously that education was ignored by Reggie and his family. Likewise, Pete and the Seahawks are not going to be able to babysit all the players, all of whom are grown men who must be held accountable for their own actions.

As to the question of whether Pete's Always Compete approach causes added stress that can lead to some guys wanting to take shortcuts, anything is possible. However, I think it's no more likely than the stress of competing on any other NFL team. NFL football has become a big business. The difference between starting and not starting could mean a lot financially to a player. That's true whether that player is a Seahawk, a Patriot, a 49er, a Raven, or a member of some other team.

Six adderall tests is not true.

Three proven tests for adderall. One was prescribed but not reported to the NFL. Moffitt NEEDS adderall. We all can see that!

Two tests were for pot. One (guy) was never reported.

And keep in mind, we don't know that any of these guys actually took adderall . . . Or something worse.

The Radish

Reaction score
Jesus Christ!!!!!

All coaches preach competition to their players!

Is the original poster suggesting Pete is the only one? Hmmm lets talk some real heavy duty coaches that pounded competition to their players and had great success on the field and in the locker roo.

#1 example. Vince Lombardi. The original hard knocks manager didn't even allow his players to use water during training camp drills.

#2 example. George Halas. Another hard charger that probably helped teach Lombardi.

#3 example. The Tuna himself. One of the best of getting into the heads of his players .

#4 example. Jimmy Johnson. Legendary head case coach pushing his players all the time no matter who they were and where they were on the team.

#5 example. Again from Seattle Chuck Knox. Knox was such a head case that he would go on the field and show his players how to block. Tho he never got to a SB he was again one of the hardest on his players to ever put on coaches sweats.

So if our players are more intimidated by Pete then they are more babys than some believe.

:141847_bnono:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
If our players don't understand that you can compete and work hard without cheating then they don't belong here. The compete theory is great, I appreciate your thought but I also think it's ridiculous.

Cartire

Reaction score
I love that everyone assumes that Adderall is being used for practice/game reasons and not that its one of the most popular drugs for young kids who like to party through the night.

Chances are just as good, if not greater, that Irvin just took some with some buddies before clubbing. Its usually out of your system after 48 hours, so he must have thought he could chance it. Got caught. Dumb choice a young kid made. He'll learn. Im sure more then half of us have done our share of no-no's when we were in our young 20's.

sutz

Reaction score
I think it is a factor, but not a "cause" if you will. It happens all over the league, and I suspect that "star" players get a bit of a pass sometimes for PR reasons. No, that doesn't mean that the world is out to get our Seahawks in some bizarre drug entrapment conspiracy either, but when players emerge out of seemingly nowhere like those on our team did, it probably raises suspicions. Note the Whiner fans coming out of the woodwork on this. They don't want to believe we actually beat them, they want to believe we cheated. This gives them ammo to tease, but not a lot of real ammo to accuse.

Competition and drugs are rampant in sports, all sports. And the more money involved, the worse it gets. Frankly, I think management and coaching many times take a don't ask, don't tell attitude about this. Do PC&JS do so? Seems doubtful.

gargantual

Reaction score
Cartire":27sdrrbu said:
Chances are just as good, if not greater, that Irvin just took some with some buddies before clubbing. Its usually out of your system after 48 hours, so he must have thought he could chance it. Got caught. Dumb choice a young kid made. He'll learn. Im sure more then half of us have done our share of no-no's when we were in our young 20's.

This is pretty much my thinking, barring any further info coming in, which, if the system works the way it SHOULD work, we won't
ever hear anything about (unlike in Browner and Sherm's case - a case where I think a investigation would've been warranted to sanction whoever leaked that confidential info).

No, I don't think this situation is anything systemic or inherent in this front office, there's simply nothing to warrant such an assumption (other than an agenda against our team by opposing fans, etc). I DO think that the frequency of these incidents occurring is starting to look bad and is going to force our front office to perhaps do something big PR-wise to demonstrate there is no appearance of impropriety (it's getting to that point anyways). I know I have a vested interest in seeing PC in the most positive light, and I know the pressure is on every single team to push the boundaries to find some sort of edge (that's inherently built into the system), but my radar really doesn't think Pete is dumb enough to do anything so blatantly wrong......I just don't get that "vibe" off of him.

I also have to add that we could use HISTORY as an example to vouch for Pete's integrity. Other than the spurious speculations of the "Pete the Cheat" crowd, with their built in agenda, no concrete, tangible wrong-doings were ever placed on him during the Reggie Bush scandal.....and there were a lot of people wanting REALLY REALLY badly to find something to pin on him. I say if there was something that could stick....they would've found it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I disagree that there is any abnormal pressure to compete, and doubly disagree that competition is a major factor. As someone mentioned earlier, Adderall use is wide-spread among the younger generations. I saw the same situation when the Navy started really cracking down on Marijuana use in the early eighties. People were so used to smoking the stuff, and it was so integral to there lifestyle, that they just brushed off all of the warnings prior to implementation of mandatory testing. We last half of the technicians in our tron shop because guy were either willing to take the risk, or maybe didn't believe they would get caught. Very frustrating.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
If it is too much for a player, they should reconsider their career...

...or go play in Oakland.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I do not believe that the "always compete, win forever, earn everything" competition mantras create too much pressure on the players. Nor do I believe that it causes them to feel that they need an edge to secure a roster spot on this team.

I do believe that instead of turning to Adderall or any other 'usual suspects that result in a suspension' supplements, the Seattle players that are feeling a little foggy in the mornings, and are interested in adding some much needed focus, should... invest some of that big contract fat cash into a really really nice coffee pot, &/or go on down to the Starbucks on the way to the office, like the rest of us... :!:

NinerLifer

Reaction score
gargantual":3dpr25zm said:
Cartire":3dpr25zm said:

This is pretty much my thinking, barring any further info coming in, which, if the system works the way it SHOULD work, we won't
ever hear anything about (unlike in Browner and Sherm's case - a case where I think a investigation would've been warranted to sanction whoever leaked that confidential info).

No, I don't think this situation is anything systemic or inherent in this front office, there's simply nothing to warrant such an assumption (other than an agenda against our team by opposing fans, etc). I DO think that the frequency of these incidents occurring is starting to look bad and is going to force our front office to perhaps do something big PR-wise to demonstrate there is no appearance of impropriety (it's getting to that point anyways). I know I have a vested interest in seeing PC in the most positive light, and I know the pressure is on every single team to push the boundaries to find some sort of edge (that's inherently built into the system), but my radar really doesn't think Pete is dumb enough to do anything so blatantly wrong......I just don't get that "vibe" off of him.

I also have to add that we could use HISTORY as an example to vouch for Pete's integrity. Other than the spurious speculations of the "Pete the Cheat" crowd, with their built in agenda, no concrete, tangible wrong-doings were ever placed on him during the Reggie Bush scandal.....and there were a lot of people wanting REALLY REALLY badly to find something to pin on him. I say if there was something that could stick....they would've found it.

I don't believe that Pete is stupid enough to intentionally do anything that is against NFL policy in order to get an advantage on the field. However, given the history of rules being broken around him since his days at USC and his short time in Seattle, I do believe that he isn't keeping a close enough eye on the team which is part of his job description. In this way, he is at fault.

Some might say he is aware of the illegal activities that go on around him and is choosing to ignore them, but that is just premature to assume.

Cartire

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2kwz1yd2 said:
I don't believe that Pete is stupid enough to intentionally do anything that is against NFL policy in order to get an advantage on the field. However, given the history of rules being broken around him since his days at USC and his short time in Seattle, I do believe that he isn't keeping a close enough eye on the team which is part of his job description. In this way, he is at fault.

Some might say he is aware of the illegal activities that go on around him and is choosing to ignore them, but that is just premature to assume.

I completely hate the USC tie in. I think he was more of a scapegoat than ever for that situation. The biggest issue there was Bush, and that had way more to do with his (illegal) agent and his father. Not Pete. Only cause pete got hired by the Hawks, and then that year, the investigation came out (which took forever unlike any other investigation ever), and everyone assumed that Pete fled the scene. Ignorance.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NinerLifer":o3ynex13 said:
In light of the growing popularity With PED's in your guys locker room, do you guys think that your teams sudden emergence as a contender and the coinciding positive drug tests on your team go hand in hand, or just a coincidence?

Hate to break it to you, but I bet a lot of your players are popping PED's too. They just haven't been caught.

I think it's hilarious the NFL is cracking down on ADDERALL of all things, while HGH use has never been more apparent.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":388plclj said:
NinerLifer":388plclj said:

Hate to break it to you, but I bet a lot of your players are popping PED's too. They just haven't been caught.

I think it's hilarious the NFL is cracking down on ADDERALL of all things, while HGH use has never been more apparent.

While I am not ignorant enough to believe that a league full of HUGE guys doesn't have a widespread issue with PED's, I don't think that you can immediately claim that EVERY other team does it just because yours does.

Lets spin it your way just for fun though. :)

Do you suppose the reason why your team seems to have a bigger problem with PED's than 30 other teams, that it is possibly because there are too many young guys on your team and not enough experienced vets who could have taught them how to not get caught? :th2thumbs:

hawkmanj

Reaction score
No. It has nothing to do with competition. The players know damn well what they can and cannot take. No excuse.

olyfan63

Reaction score
NinerLifer":anr6xd03 said:
Hasselbeck":anr6xd03 said:
NinerLifer":anr6xd03 said:

Do you suppose the reason why your team seems to have a bigger problem with PED's than 30 other teams, that it is possibly because there are too many young guys on your team and not enough experienced vets who could have taught them how to not get caught? :th2thumbs:

Definitely the second one. Plus, SF has been a major counterculture and drug center for decades, so there's simply a lot more skill in the area in not getting caught, not to mention the Law Enforcement that is around happily looks the other way. And all you guys ever game us was Mike Robinson, a Joe Paterno Penn Stater, for gosh sake. (Before Joe Pa got tainted by all the crap.) How the hell is Robinson going to teach our guys not to get caught?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think this could have quite a bit to do with it. I think players want to get better some bad on this team tat they are choosing to put themselves at risk for suspension just to get a small competitive edge.

Latest posts