Is Pete Carroll out of touch?

chris98251

Reaction score
You need a size back with a long season, probably 2 at 17 games plus playoffs now, look at the backs playing, all go down.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":mvy49nu4 said:
John63":mvy49nu4 said:
misfit":mvy49nu4 said:
This team has looked for a bell cow back since Marshawn left and has failed miserably.
If your bellcow is injured all the time, hes not an effective bellcow. Carson didnt deserve another contract and it was a terrible move by a front office desperate for a run game. our run game is uncreative and boring. we have an oc problem and an offense that is out of touch. we have a defensive coach that dictates the offense. none of it works.

Bingo

Lmao.

Boingo

It's actually a Government conspiracy to out law bubble gum chewing!!! the bubble gum lobby is friggin pissed man!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":10t5gjk8 said:
But no, I think Pete can win here right not with a QB ( whether Russ or someone else) who is efficient, mobile, takes care of the ball, and is capable of the occasional big play.

Having watched Wilson pull Petes butt out of the fire so many times over the years, I would say that Pete certainly would not win with just an efficient QB. He has a below .500 winning percentage without Russ and you think he can somehow win without him now?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":ai14n94a said:
The OCs problem is he's handcuffed by Wilson's limitations. There's only but so much scheming you can do around them. And Pete has unfortunately let Russ have his way.

If the OC is handcuffed by a HOF QB's limitations, than he doesnt deserve a job. This blaming of Russ for the inept coaching is cute but inaccurate. Although Carroll is the one that needs to go, I somewhat would like to see Wilson leave just so you can see how wrong you truly are.

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2c2y8sh2 said:
keasley45":2c2y8sh2 said:
The OCs problem is he's handcuffed by Wilson's limitations. There's only but so much scheming you can do around them. And Pete has unfortunately let Russ have his way.

If the OC is handcuffed by a HOF QB's limitations, than he doesnt deserve a job. This blaming of Russ for the inept coaching is cute but inaccurate. Although Carroll is the one that needs to go, I somewhat would like to see Wilson leave just so you can see how wrong you truly are.

That would be fine. It's funny, Russ now runs what he wants, but there's still the drums beat of its PCs fault.

You're right. You'll see when russ is elsewhere. You want to blame Pete for Russ not reading a defense and making poor decisions, cool. You want to look at game clips where he's obviously lost and still blame Pete. Cool. Look at facts and still twist reality if you want.

But you're right. When Russ I'd on had next team in doing the same BS, it will be even more obvious. But then the RW apologists will just say PC ruined him.

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3v6jxvc9 said:
keasley45":3v6jxvc9 said:
But no, I think Pete can win here right not with a QB ( whether Russ or someone else) who is efficient, mobile, takes care of the ball, and is capable of the occasional big play.

Having watched Wilson pull Petes butt out of the fire so many times over the years, I would say that Pete certainly would not win with just an efficient QB. He has a below .500 winning percentage without Russ and you think he can somehow win without him now?

Russ pulled himself out of the fire when he couldn't execute the plays called fir three qtrs and then was given freedom to play sandlot, which is true skill... improv.

He now with 3 coordinators has shown and inability to do simple things pre and post snap. HOF qbs have called him out on it and writen articles about it. Tape in threads on this board show it beyond a reasonable doubt. Abd still, with nothing but debunked theories about Pete changing plays or controlling now Waldron, PC still gets blamed for what Russ is doing on the field. Russ even admits in his own words preferring the splash play over the first down play when things are moving to fast for him in a play and still, pets fault. Have it how you want it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Are there NFL RBs who don't get hurt? If you think so then try writing down a list of 10 RBs that you recognize on other teams and then look up how often they have been injured and whether they are injured right this moment.

Every team out there wants to have a deep group that they rotate through. Carson, Penny, Eskridge, Collins, Homer, Dallas looked like a decent enough group going into the season. Carson will likely earn his $2.7m cap hit this season despite all the time he will have missed due to injury. Unfortunately, Penny is a much longer shot to earn his $3.4m cap hit.

hoxrox

Reaction score
keasley45":1oyrldnt said:
pittpnthrs":1oyrldnt said:
keasley45":1oyrldnt said:

Russ pulled himself out of the fire when he couldn't execute the plays called fir three qtrs and then was given freedom to play sandlot, which is true skill... improv.

He now with 3 coordinators has shown and inability to do simple things pre and post snap. HOF qbs have called him out on it and writen articles about it. Tape in threads on this board show it beyond a reasonable doubt. Abd still, with nothing but debunked theories about Pete changing plays or controlling now Waldron, PC still gets blamed for what Russ is doing on the field. Russ even admits in his own words preferring the splash play over the first down play when things are moving to fast for him in a play and still, pets fault. Have it how you want it.

Keasley45. Some posters vehemently adhere to their priors, even in light of insurmountable evidence. I see exactly what you do and have seen it for some time now. Others can't be reasoned with. It is what it is.

Great work and posts, btw.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":3cxi1ajm said:
Sgt. Largent":3cxi1ajm said:
Yes.

But that doesn't mean a coach like Pete can't exist in the modern NFL. Pete's problem is he's trying to keep Russell happy while undermining and meddling creating a lack of continuity and identity, and that's really the disconnect and dysfunction with what we're seeing now with this team. No identity.

You wanna run the ball and play lights out defense Pete? Then trade Russell for 2-3 1st rounders, draft a young QB or go find a Tannehill or Fitzpatrick type cheap game manager. Then build your team around a bell cow back and commit 70% of the cap to the defense.

from my perspective I agree with some of what you are saying yes they are lacking identity I agree with that statement but what I don't agree with necessarily Trading Russ untill all options are played out... Truthfully Russ needs to make some adjustments because it doesn't matter who he plays for at some point he will have the same issue just like Brett Favre just like matt Hasselbeck just like Eli manning every great QB has to make adjustment to their game you can not win in the NFL consistently throwing into double coverage because you have gotten away with it in the past teams are going to adjust and if you don't adjust with them your toast and it doesn't matter what team you play for the rules apply to everyone

LTH

But isn't it obvious that Russell doesn't want to be a QB in Pete's ball control play it safe run first offense? You don't burn through three O-coordinators in four years and tell your agent to put out a weird I don't want to be traded but if you do trade me..........statement if you're content.

Russell's not happy with the tug of war that's going on right now, he wants the offense to run through him.

Which can work, but IMO it can't work in an offense controlled by a 71 year old stubborn head coach who only wants to play one way.

Thus my statement. If Pete stays then trade Russell, cause right now this team has no identity and there's too much dysfunction between the QB and HC as to what that identity should be.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pugusnsp said:
LTH":pugusnsp said:
Sgt. Largent":pugusnsp said:
Yes.

But that doesn't mean a coach like Pete can't exist in the modern NFL. Pete's problem is he's trying to keep Russell happy while undermining and meddling creating a lack of continuity and identity, and that's really the disconnect and dysfunction with what we're seeing now with this team. No identity.

You wanna run the ball and play lights out defense Pete? Then trade Russell for 2-3 1st rounders, draft a young QB or go find a Tannehill or Fitzpatrick type cheap game manager. Then build your team around a bell cow back and commit 70% of the cap to the defense.

from my perspective I agree with some of what you are saying yes they are lacking identity I agree with that statement but what I don't agree with necessarily Trading Russ untill all options are played out... Truthfully Russ needs to make some adjustments because it doesn't matter who he plays for at some point he will have the same issue just like Brett Favre just like matt Hasselbeck just like Eli manning every great QB has to make adjustment to their game you can not win in the NFL consistently throwing into double coverage because you have gotten away with it in the past teams are going to adjust and if you don't adjust with them your toast and it doesn't matter what team you play for the rules apply to everyone

LTH

But isn't it obvious that Russell doesn't want to be a QB in Pete's ball control play it safe run first offense? You don't burn through three O-coordinators in four years and tell your agent to put out a weird I don't want to be traded but if you do trade me..........statement if you're content.

Russell's not happy with the tug of war that's going on right now, he wants the offense to run through him.

Which can work, but IMO it can't work in an offense controlled by a 71 year old stubborn head coach who only wants to play one way.

Thus my statement. If Pete stays then trade Russell, cause right now this team has no identity and there's too much dysfunction between the QB and HC as to what that identity should be.
" an offense controlled by a 71 year old stubborn head coach who only wants to play one way.". The same 71 yo stubborn HC mumbled after the Green Bay game that we should have run more. That sounded like someone who have given up in the control of offense, a HC reduced to mumbling to himself.

The same stubborn HC stood quietly on the sidelines just to watch let Russ cook for half a season, singing praises game after game?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xa0iks5 said:

Thing is the LRC experiment failed. When all defenses have to do is take away the deep ball, and make you one-dimensional, that is an abject failure. I don't care who the HC or OC is.

Also a stubborn coach, known for smash mouth, but allowing 40 passes to 11 runs doesn't make sense at all. He's obviously relented and yielded this offense OR is simply ineffective at implementing his vision.

I don't think the disconnect between the two sides, can be resolved, TBH. SW was supposed to be the solution.

A major change needs to be made, IMO.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The NFL has shifted to a passing league.

A running team can take advantage of that, as defenses get lighter and more spaced out to combat the passing.

But it gives you nothing in the playoffs.

If you want to have a pretty regular-season record, and are OK with no expectations of any real success in the playoffs - by all means, swim against the tide.

Pete wants to play dinosaur football and keep games close. We all know why.

But here is my prediction, if Pete trades Wilson -

-Wilson will have far more success and go farther in the playoffs than he has in the past five years

-Wilson will also be more successful with his new team than Pete will be with whatever our team becomes

-Pete will never reach the levels of success he had when he had Wilson (even the past 5 years).

We will turn into a lesser version of what the Browns are now if we lose Wilson and keep Pete.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hoxrox":25cm4yem said:
Sgt. Largent":25cm4yem said:

Thing is the LRC experiment failed. When all defenses have to do is take away the deep ball, and make you one-dimensional, that is an abject failure. I don't care who the HC or OC is.

Also a stubborn coach, known for smash mouth, but allowing 40 passes to 11 runs doesn't make sense at all. He's obviously relented and yielded this offense OR is simply ineffective at implementing his vision.

I don't think the disconnect between the two sides, can be resolved, TBH. SW was supposed to be the solution.

A major change needs to be made, IMO.

You need an O-line and RB to run the ball, and right now we don't have either. That doesn't mean Pete's changed, it means the offense is struggling in all facets and can't figure out how to successfully move the ball, running or passing.

Not all Pete's fault. He had no Russell for 5 weeks, a banged up O-line and his 1st and 2nd string RB's have been injured during the same stretch.

Hard to commit to the run when the defense is playing Geno Smith and Penny putting 8-9 defenders in the box because they know you can't pass beyond 8 yards with your backups.

As much as I want Pete gone, I do think he could rebuild the offense into another successful physical run first to open up explosive plays through play action and motion.

But that's not happening with Russell, he's obviously not content in that role.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i6jiu77 said:

Careful now Sarge. According to Keasley and the other Russ haters, Pete has nothing to do with the offense. Remember the first game against the Colts when the offense looked great with all the motion and tempo, apparently its Wilson who decided to go away from it and revert back to the same old predictable offense that has plagued the team for years. Yep, Pete had nothing to do with it.

Also according to the Russ haters, a game manager at QB is all the team needs. Lol. Some fans are so delusional.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b2i1cul said:
As much as I want Pete gone, I do think he could rebuild the offense into another successful physical run first to open up explosive plays through play action and motion.

But that's not happening with Russell, he's obviously not content in that role.

Might be that's he not content. Might be about his ability or style of play - I know that is hard to stomach for some people.

But a part of the reason why we are not seeing more of McVay's offense under Waldron is this:

Waldron’s run game has also had to change to suit his quarterback. This offense is based around outside zone running plays, which are typically most effective when run from under center. But Wilson is at his best in the shotgun, which has forced another departure from the McVay philosophy. In 2020, the Rams ranked 30th in shotgun usage, according to Sports Info Solutions. Through Wilson’s first five starts before the finger injury this season, the Seahawks ranked 16th and had already called more shotgun runs than Los Angeles had in all of last year.

It's not some half-baked theory about a HC wanting to move away from what worked well against the Colts because it was so successful.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":3t3fff8m said:
Waldron’s run game has also had to change to suit his quarterback. This offense is based around outside zone running plays, which are typically most effective when run from under center. But Wilson is at his best in the shotgun, which has forced another departure from the McVay philosophy. In 2020, the Rams ranked 30th in shotgun usage, according to Sports Info Solutions. Through Wilson’s first five starts before the finger injury this season, the Seahawks ranked 16th and had already called more shotgun runs than Los Angeles had in all of last year.

It's not some half-baked theory about a HC wanting to move away from what worked well against the Colts because it was so successful.

Wilson playing from the shotgun pretty much came from necessity though. Guy was getting hit within seconds because the line has been awful for years. If you are saying that he's settled in and comfortable in that formation and has trouble adapting to being under center than I can agree with you there. Not sure you can blame him for that habit though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The jury's still out on Waldron, but it doesn't help when your QB either can't see the short quick routes when open, or refuses to throw them because he's looking downfield for the deep shots.

We also don't know how much Pete is back to his old meddling ways with the playcalling, like he did with Schotty.

Let's be honest, this season's an offensive mess. Russell's injury, RB's are all hurt, O-line's dinged up and wasn't very good to begin with. So I have a hard time throwing anyone under the bus really, besides those first 2-3 games Waldron hasn't even had the personnel to run whatever offense he spent the entire pre-season installing.........and now he's got a head coach that's in his ear constantly "helping."

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Pete isn’t out of touch the only difference between he and Belichick is he has Josh McDaniels and we have another puppet as an OC. Defensively they’ll be fine we’ve had some injuries on the D line to deal with, the stats are misleading but Rasheem and Taylor are both home grown and productive. Shottenheimer gave Wilson the opportunity to cook and he served up a turd burger mid season to the early playoff exit to this year. We just aren’t executing the plays on offense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3sdunk2o said:
hoxrox":3sdunk2o said:

Wilson playing from the shotgun pretty much came from necessity though. Guy was getting hit within seconds because the line has been awful for years. If you are saying that he's settled in and comfortable in that formation and has trouble adapting to being under center than I can agree with you there. Not sure you can blame him for that habit though.

I agree the center getting blown up a the line certainly doesn't help the situation.

Not grabbing this guy when they could: https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/c

IS a warranted a valid criticism of this FO.