Is Prosise worth keeping???

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Richardson's injury probability was a given when he was drafted. You had to know that just by looking at him.

Prosise, OTOH, is kind of a conundrum. Body style and what not seem perfectly fine for football, but he keeps getting hurt. It's odd, but he doesn't have 3 full years of being injured. Just the one so far and it's a little soon to write off. If you do that then we should have been writing off Rawls last year too.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1x4udsym said:
Richardson's injury probability was a given when he was drafted. You had to know that just by looking at him.

Prosise, OTOH, is kind of a conundrum. Body style and what not seem perfectly fine for football, but he keeps getting hurt. It's odd, but he doesn't have 3 full years of being injured. Just the one so far and it's a little soon to write off. If you do that then we should have been writing off Rawls last year too.

Rawls didn't cut out of the first 2days of camp with a tummy ache did he?

Groin doesn't feel quite right was 2nd excuse this year. These aren't injuries, they are "I don't feel like it" problems. I don't blame anyone for making Harvin comparisons, not there yet, but seeing some similarities.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At least Rawls has produced for more than just a few games. Given his predisposition to injury how wise it for the team to back him up with yet another demonstrably injury prone RB?

I'm not arguing that any of the three should be cut but rather the relative value of Prosise given he plays a position where he is expected to be physical, yet has shown no ability to remain healthy. Each of the three has a lower value to the team the more they remain unavailable.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This discussion may be academic at any rate as Pete has indicated he wants Rawls and Prosise healthy to start the season. This, of course, means both will be on the team after the cuts to 53.

sdog1981

Reaction score
That is why these rookie contracts are such a boon to teams. The Seahawks lose nothing by keeping these players on their cheap rookie deals and if Prosise can get healthy for two years then they can extend him for one more year to see if he can do it for three years.

ACFan

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1yn3vnx6 said:
This discussion may be academic at any rate as Pete has indicated he wants Rawls and Prosise healthy to start the season. This, of course, means both will be on the team after the cuts to 53.

Well, I guess ole Pete was pulling our leg about that RB competition he was looking forward to a few weeks back.

Or...

He really wanted them to play this week, but they still can't go. Look at the timing of this thing, he doesn't say CJ and Rawls will be held out last Sunday, or Monday or even Tuesday, he waits until almost 24 hours until kickoff. That tells me he was hoping they could go, but they can't.

So, I think 4 combined carries and a total of 12 yards was enough to knock both Rawls and Prosise out of action this preseason.

IF both are healthy again by week one, I'd be shocked if either of them are still healthy by week three.

We might as well keep 5 RBs, with spots apparently secured by Rawls and Prosise, you can bet we'll have to tap into that depth almost immediately.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are just being extra cautious with these guys because it's the preseason. Pete said today that if it were the regular season both Rawls and Prosise would likely play.

Prosise showed last year he has game changing talent. It sucks not being able to rely much on him consistently but if carrying him ends up winning you a game or two is it worth him not being available for every game? There has to be a tipping point though at some point... How many games missed is too many?

ACFan

Reaction score
DJrmb":z2vtygho said:
I'm pretty sure they are just being extra cautious with these guys because it's the preseason. Pete said today that if it were the regular season both Rawls and Prosise would likely play.

Why did he wait until Thursday to say so?, monitoring their health?

It's a nice fall back position to claim, now. I bet the truth is, if the regular season were tomorrow, Rawls would try to play, and look awful, and Prosise would hold himself out.

the fruits of great competition indeed.

if carrying him ends up winning you a game or two is it worth him not being available for every game?

No, because I don't accept the assumption we couldn't win those games anyway.

There has to be a tipping point though at some point...

you'd think, and you'd think it's close.

How many games missed is too many?

2/3 rds of his rookie year, the playoffs, and then almost all of preseason the next year, all due to unrelated injuries.

That would be too much for me, apparently not to the FO, but its gotta be close.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I still say it is very risky for the team to be backing up two players recovering from injuries Rawls and Lacy with an injury prone player in Prosise. They do have Carson and Collins who both have out performed the others but it would seem that one of those two is on the bubble.

I'm sure the discussion of Prosise's unavailability has been had amongst the Coaches and FO and agree keeping him is not a clear cinch.

Seymour

Reaction score
Looks like the competition is just for 1 spot.

We are seeing this more and more, guys like Kearse, Lane, Prosise, Cable, Bevell, prob. Lacy, Ifedi plus others getting a pass that nobody knew or thought they had coming. :roll:

ACFan

Reaction score
jammerhawk":szak6a87 said:
I still say it is very risky for the team to be backing up two players recovering from injuries Rawls and Lacy with an injury prone player in Prosise. .

the definition of insanity?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":35sqgt05 said:
I still say it is very risky for the team to be backing up two players recovering from injuries Rawls and Lacy with an injury prone player in Prosise. They do have Carson and Collins who both have out performed the others but it would seem that one of those two is on the bubble.

I'm sure the discussion of Prosise's unavailability has been had amongst the Coaches and FO and agree keeping him is not a clear cinch.

Different back though.

Rawls and Lacy if they make the team will be primary down backs, Prosise is a 3rd down/long yardage back.

So if you're slotting roster spots, Prosise is in a category all his own. Still a RB, but when it comes to Pete and John deciding which backs to keep, he's not in the same conversation as Lacy, Rawls, Collins and Carson.

If I had to guess, we keep 4 backs, and try to sneak one onto the practice squad if needed.

Lacy
Rawls
Prosise
Carson

Collins is the odd man out.

Mojambo

Reaction score
As long as he's only costing them a roster spot (that would be taken by an inferior, if somewhat more durable player) Prosise isn't going anywhere. Nor should he. When/if he starts making real money, that's when the decisions will be made. And we'll know a LOT more by then. But they're not cutting bait before they KNOW.

Seymour

Reaction score
The more I watch the Rawls / Prosise med-vac show, the better Collins looks. Talent that cannot be used does you no good. Especially if you have packages that are player specific that get scrapped. This could limit our already limited O coordinator from achieving greatness.

On the plus side, maybe we will have time now to create some special packages to use Jimmy Graham in year 3??. .....On 2nd thought... naw, forget that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
jammerhawk":542fh7e6 said:
I still say it is very risky for the team to be backing up two players recovering from injuries Rawls and Lacy with an injury prone player in Prosise. .
That's the thing though, Prosise isn't backing up Rawls or Lacy really, not in the traditional sense. He's here because he fills a specific role they want in the offense. Lacy/Rawls are more like your daily driver, Prosise is your Corvette that you drive on weekends or special occasions. Yes if both of your cars go down at the same time you "can" drive the Corvette to work for a while but that is not the plan. That's why in my opinion Carson is the perfect 4th back. He looks to be durable so far and is definitely built to last, but he also has shown much more "Corvette" than any of the other RB's competing for that last spot. So he can be a backup for both...

chris98251

Reaction score
ACFan":1cwnrmr8 said:
jammerhawk":1cwnrmr8 said:

Well, I guess ole Pete was pulling our leg about that RB competition he was looking forward to a few weeks back.

Or...

He really wanted them to play this week, but they still can't go. Look at the timing of this thing, he doesn't say CJ and Rawls will be held out last Sunday, or Monday or even Tuesday, he waits until almost 24 hours until kickoff. That tells me he was hoping they could go, but they can't.

So, I think 4 combined carries and a total of 12 yards was enough to knock both Rawls and Prosise out of action this preseason.

IF both are healthy again by week one, I'd be shocked if either of them are still healthy by week three.

We might as well keep 5 RBs, with spots apparently secured by Rawls and Prosise, you can bet we'll have to tap into that depth almost immediately.

Most people would not be surprised, two years and Pete knows Rawls and his heart and ability and is giving him a pass, Prosise is in a class all his own and not competing as a every down back, paying attention to how he has been used is a huge indicator of that. He is a Pro Level Reggie Bush in reality. Agreed he needs to toughen up or get healthy going forward, Bush wore out his welcome after being hurt year in and year out as well at the pro level.

So you have your 18 wheeler in Lacy.

Your shifty quick cut guy in Rawls

Carson is a mix of both

Prosise a wild card 3rd down back that can play in multiple positions.

Collins not really powerful, not really quick, not as fast or versatile as Prosise, but seems to be available but isn't special in any way compared to what's on the roster.

Davis who is a Vet, has some power, has some wiggle but will be more expensive.

McKissic who is really a WR with a RB title.

ACFan

Reaction score
chris98251":2y1oov7n said:
So you have your 18 wheeler in Lacy.

agreed, I like his skill set to offset RW's and our receivers best of all, may be the most complimentary IMO.

I worry about lack of quickness and longeveity over the season.

Your shifty quick cut guy in Rawls

Shifty and quick when his ankle is 100%, but he'll try to play when it's not 100%, and then he's not so shifty and quick. That's been about 50% of the time I've seen him since I've been paying attention.

Carson is a mix of both

hopefully, so far, so good, but still a pretty small sample so far, fingers crossed.

Prosise a wild card 3rd down back that can play in multiple positions.

As long as its not any special teams play, returns, or running between to tackles too much, because that's when he gets hurt.

Collins not really powerful, not really quick, not as fast or versatile as Prosise, but seems to be available but isn't special in any way compared to what's on the roster.

I'd argue he is powerful enough, quick enough, and fast enough to take advantage of well blocked plays. A fair analyses of his conventional running plays since mid last year, when he took some weight off, shows he is averaging over 5 yards a carry. 5.8 last week.

Prosise isn't an every down back, not a short yardage back, and never plays ST, so I think Collins is more versatile. Prosise is simply more exceptional for a singular purpose everyone gets so excited about, but that's not versatility. being a mismatch in very select situations is not versatility IMO.

Davis who is a Vet, has some power, has some wiggle but will be more expensive..

I like Davis, I'd like the security of having both him and Collins.

McKissic who is really a WR with a RB title.

so another Prosise?, at least he can return kicks.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Prosise is a baller. Coaches know it, players know it.

The worth keeping question might be more appropriate after this season, if he happens to miss another huge portion of it. Premature right now, imo.