Is Russell Wilson worth 6 years $129m???

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He is worth every penny right now, but boy would I love him to take just a bit less. I know wishful thinking.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pfsu4rk said:
Tical21":1pfsu4rk said:
Would you pay 35 million per year?
How is this even a serious question? No QB is worth that with the current salary cap.
And no QB will be asking it or getting it. That's not the market at present. Sorry Tical but it appears you're grabbing at numbers. I understand your stance on this (though in no way do I agree with it), but 35 per is just coming out of thin air and is not realistic. Had you said like, say 27 per that might've merited discussion.

I've said before and I'll say it again, I think Russ will be a first ballot HOFer and I think he's a huge difference maker. With that in mind, put me down for "yes" he's worth 6/129.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
HansGruber":33fhnr6e said:
Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? NFL franchises spend 40 years trying to find quarterbacks before they stumble on guys like Brady and Wilson. Or, they choke it up on purpose like Indy and end up with okay QBs like Manning

FCIG9

Tical21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":24cjq0zs said:
RolandDeschain":24cjq0zs said:
Tical21":24cjq0zs said:
How is this even a serious question? No QB is worth that with the current salary cap.
And no QB will be asking it or getting it. That's not the market at present. Sorry Tical but it appears you're grabbing at numbers. I understand your stance on this (though in no way do I agree with it), but 35 per is just coming out of thin air and is not realistic. Had you said like, say 27 per that might've merited discussion.

I've said before and I'll say it again, I think Russ will be a first ballot HOFer and I think he's a huge difference maker. With that in mind, put me down for "yes" he's worth 6/129.
Many have said pay whatever he wants, so I'm just trying to gauge that. Do I hear 30?

Cartire

Reaction score
Tical21":syus48qu said:
hawksfansinceday1":syus48qu said:
RolandDeschain":syus48qu said:
Tical21":syus48qu said:

Many have said pay whatever he wants, so I'm just trying to gauge that. Do I hear 30?

I think what you are really doing is creating a red herring. Do you really think when people say "whatever he wants", they mean the entire salary cap and they cant field 52 other guys? Or are you just trying to get people to say they were wrong in a exaggerate comment meant more for the symbolism then the actual "blank check" they are stating?

You said yourself you were gonna get roasted with the original comment. Stick by it if you want, but dont try and make arguments out of thin air to divert attention from the original thesis.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3h0umbh6 said:

Now you're just trolling for attention.

"Whatever he wants" is going to be a manageable cap number for everyone involved. Do you think Russell is a selfish player that only cares about extracting as much money from the Hawks as possible? Or do you think he has more lofty goals and desires for his career like winning as many SB's as possible and being one of the greatest of all time?

If there ever was a selfless player that wants to keep his team as competitive as possible in order to achieve personal and team goals, it's Russell. Therefore no way in hell he'd ask for 30 million per year.

Russell and his agent are going to get 20M per year, but it'll be a very cap friendly contract as to not hamstring the Hawks so that we can remain competitive and sign other key players.

HansGruber

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3btxq2yk said:
HansGruber":3btxq2yk said:
Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? NFL franchises spend 40 years trying to find quarterbacks before they stumble on guys like Brady and Wilson. Or, they choke it up on purpose like Indy and end up with okay QBs like Manning

FCIG9

One of my biggest pet peeves is being quoted out of context. Next time you quote me, quote my entire statement rather than one part of it that changes the entire meaning.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2j1ddaof said:
Tical21":2j1ddaof said:

Tical has a tendency to troll in every thread he starts. And he's admitted it repeatedly. This entire thread is an attempt to get "conversation started" by making the most absurd statement possible ("should the team pay Wilson?") and then letting the entire forum flame him for being a moron.

It's getting rather old and I'm learning to just ignore his posts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical21":1ml6n2ug said:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

Merriam-Webster Dictionary":1ml6n2ug said:
used to describe speech that is meant to be funny but that is usually regarded as annoying, silly, or not proper

IT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE BEING FACETIOUS, YOU SEE.

ben-roethlisberger.jpg

Tical21

Reaction score
Nobody will answer the question the first several times I asked it, so I had to try to come up with another way to ask it.

Can't answer the question, so it becomes much easier to attack the poster for asking it.

How much is too much? Anybody? Bueller? Let us get real here. Let us get specific. How much is too much? At what point would you say no?

While we are at it. Can anybody answer the other question? How will we be able to judge whether or not paying him big money was a good decision?

Tical21

Reaction score
HansGruber":3vxa2osg said:
Sgt. Largent":3vxa2osg said:
Tical21":3vxa2osg said:

Tical has a tendency to troll in every thread he starts. And he's admitted it repeatedly. This entire thread is an attempt to get "conversation started" by making the most absurd statement possible ("should the team pay Wilson?") and then letting the entire forum flame him for being a moron.

It's getting rather old and I'm learning to just ignore his posts.
Sure, I don't always agree with the masses around here. First time I've been referred to as a troll, but whatever. However, I very rarely, if ever, start threads, I don't know where that came from. I came out and said I wouldn't pay Wilson the big money. I guess it is a little absurd considering he's certainly going to get it, but I fail to see how my opinion isn't valid. Please, hit the ignore button.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":1dqm8xdv said:
Nobody will answer the question the first several times I asked it, so I had to try to come up with another way to ask it.

Can't answer the question, so it becomes much easier to attack the poster for asking it.

How much is too much? Anybody? Bueller? Let us get real here. Let us get specific. How much is too much? At what point would you say no?

While we are at it. Can anybody answer the other question? How will we be able to judge whether or not paying him big money was a good decision?
Nobody knows except to go by current conditions. So if the cap is 133M and your top tier quarterbacks are making 18-22M (20M average) it seems 13-15% of the cap is acceptable and the going rate. So knowing the cap will be 143M in 2015 21-22M is right at what will be acceptable and the going rate for a top tier quarterback.

In my unfounded opinion I wouldn't like going over 15% of whatever the total salary cap will be. But even with that I would not know the exact point or number that would make me or the team say no. As for knowing if it's a good decision? I would guess 3-4 years if that into the contract. It really depends how it's structured. Will be it traditional like Rodgers, Flacco et al or will be very cap friendly like Dalton and Keapernick's, Brady's and Peyton's?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":f95vjz1s said:
Sure, I don't always agree with the masses around here. First time I've been referred to as a troll, but whatever. However, I very rarely, if ever, start threads, I don't know where that came from. I came out and said I wouldn't pay Wilson the big money. I guess it is a little absurd considering he's certainly going to get it, but I fail to see how my opinion isn't valid. Please, hit the ignore button.

It's OK to have a differing opinion. But once you cross over into the land of absurdity by baiting people with comments like "do I hear 30 million?".......when you know damn well that's not going to happen, that's where the trolling comes in.

Russell is going to get his new contract, and don't worry it'll be structured in a way that will be cap friendly. So rest easy my friend...........rest easy.

pehawk

Reaction score
I personally find Tical21 to be one of the best posters here. I disagree alot, but, I'll always read what he has to say. His opinions are well reasoned and thought out.

XOXO

Gaston Greene

Popeyejones

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1okx6oec said:
Be prepared to learn why running backs are so devalued while quarterbacks aren't.

Very true that RBs are devalued, but that's not true equally across teams, and for good reason.

There's a reason why the Hawks, 49ers, and Chiefs have some of the best RBs in the game but are still repeatedly dedicating 2nd round and 3rd round picks to the position.

Teams like the Pats, Saints, and Packers on the other hand have spent the past several years in cheap RBBCs, just letting people go and piecing things together as they go.

MizzouHawkGal":1okx6oec said:
Houston is the perfect object lesson if you doubt me. With an average quarterback Houston wins close with someone above average (Cutler, Keap) game isn't close and somebody elite (Rodgers, Wilson) child please.

Not that this is wrong in the way it's stated, but there's a very unlikely assumption baked into it. If the Texans had 20 million + per year invested in the QB position, they wouldn't BE the texans that we're currently talking about. That money doesn't jut get to magically come from somewhere. The first place to look is that the Texans with a 20 million + QB investment don't get to resign Arian Foster at 8.5 million per, and they don't get to pay their #1 receiver 13 million per anymore.

If they can't run the ball and lose their best receiver but gain a quarterback they might be better and they might be worse, but just pretending that they could stay the same team with 20 million + less at other positions misses the point.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
HansGruber":y33shves said:
One of my biggest pet peeves is being quoted out of context. Next time you quote me, quote my entire statement rather than one part of it that changes the entire meaning.

Alright my apologies. I just cut it there because that's the point when the gif represented my feeling.

For context: Hans trotted out the sort-by-rings metric to downplay Peyton, even though it's clearly a deeply flawed metric that ignores just how much role variance plays in how many Super Bowls a great QB wins.

But I didn't mean to make it look like he believed Peyton to be a mediocre regular season QB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Also, overall, it's worth saying that there's as close to a 0% chance as possible that the Hawks let Wilson walk. Tical and I agree on that.

Tical thinks paying him 22 million is a bad idea and I think that given the Hawks' strategy as a team (and how they got here) that's an atypically interesting question, but neither of us think the Hawks are going to let Wilson walk.

Also worth saying that it's going to take a few years to see the ramifications of Wilson's contract. The money is going to be smaller on the front end, and it will be a few seasons for all the guys they can't resign b/c of it to be off their rookie deals (although Lynch and Wagner will be the first, or at least one of the two will be). The days of bringing in outside guys for big money (e.g. Harvin, the Bennett rental and resign) are likely already gone, but the rest of it will take some time to shake out.