Is this the end for Peyton Manning?

endzorn

Reaction score
Manning cannot push the ball downfield. He missed so many open receivers 20 yards+ from scrimmage that you got the feeling early that Denver wouldn't win.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think you have to keep him for at least one more year. Put in a plan for a replacement immediately. Don't let yourself end up like the Colts with Curtis Painter. Draft another guy, trade/sign another legit back-up (e.g. Cousins), etc. Build up an actual running game (is Gase the guy to do that? Eh...). More than anything else, figure out a game plan that doesn't get swallowed up by every physical secondary you face.

In theory, Denver could free up cap and use that money on a different QB. However, no QB worth a damn is going to be available to sign, and I doubt they want Cutler back.

Someone would definitely pay Manning for a year if he was available. 50% of Manning is still probably better than 100% of anyone Houston, Tennessee or even STL/AZ could trot out there next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3w26jhip said:
I think you have to keep him for at least one more year. Put in a plan for a replacement immediately. Don't let yourself end up like the Colts with Curtis Painter. Draft another guy, trade/sign another legit back-up (e.g. Cousins), etc. Build up an actual running game (is Gase the guy to do that? Eh...). More than anything else, figure out a game plan that doesn't get swallowed up by every physical secondary you face.

In theory, Denver could free up cap and use that money on a different QB. However, no QB worth a damn is going to be available to sign, and I doubt they want Cutler back.

Someone would definitely pay Manning for a year if he was available. 50% of Manning is still probably better than 100% of anyone Houston, Tennessee or even STL/AZ could trot out there next year.

Good points, and Elway and Bowlen might be on board with this, but would Manning?

Manning is all about one more ring, and if he doesn't think he can get one with this team, or thinks he has it in him to do all the work he has to do in the offseason in order to play next year, I don't think he will.

Regardless of if the FO thinks a 10-6 or 11-5 team that gets beat in the first round of the playoffs again is better than rebuilding, Manning will not be on that same page.

kearly

Reaction score
Brock Osweiler actually looked pretty good this past preseason. Very comfortable in their offense. I think he's a Derek Carr type of asset right now. Given where Denver is drafting it's unlikely they'd find a better QB to develop this offseason.

I bet they could trade Manning for a 1st round pick to Houston. It would make sense for both teams. Manning was playing hurt the last month and a half. He's not as bad as he showed, and when he's healthy and it's warm outside he's still a very good QB. But he needs to go to a warm weather or dome team. He just has to.

Arizona and St. Louis would be good spots too, although I think Manning would be a wildcard every year which defeats the purpose of getting warm playoff games.

Houston just makes so much sense. Warm, good defense, good running game, good receivers, historically bad division, revenge factor. And the one team he'd have to beat plays in a dome.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
kearly":23yo7xuc said:
Brock Osweiler actually looked pretty good this past preseason. Very comfortable in their offense. I think he's a Derek Carr type of asset right now. Given where Denver is drafting it's unlikely they'd find a better QB to develop this offseason.

I bet they could trade Manning for a 1st round pick to Houston. It would make sense for both teams. Manning was playing hurt the last month and a half. He's not as bad as he showed, and when he's healthy and it's warm outside he's still a very good QB. But he needs to go to a warm weather or dome team. He just has to.

Arizona and St. Louis would be good spots too, although I think Manning would be a wildcard every year which defeats the purpose of getting warm playoff games.

Houston just makes so much sense. Warm, good defense, good running game, good receivers, historically bad division, revenge factor. And the one team he'd have to beat plays in a dome.

The only potential cold weather games on the Texans schedule would be Buffalo and Cincinnati, I think.

Rob12

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":213bqnb7 said:
Denver with 20m+ of cap space is pretty scary actually.

Not really. Nothing about Denver scares me. They're a finesse team playing in the AFC, with a post-prime (and injured) quarterback. Waiting in the wings is a kid who has never played in the league in Osweiler.

$20m in cap space... Meh. If you're trying to build your team in FA, you're doing it wrong.

getnasty

Reaction score
Peyton Manning threw for 4,727 yards this year which is 2nd highest total for his career. Thats with having a horrible second half of the year by his standards. My guess is that his injuy threw his game off more then most gave it credit for and Peyton is far from done.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I say he goes on more year. But I can't say I see him playing all 16 games.

They have nowhere to go but down with all the FA they have.