Is Wilson worth $33M per year?

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2o3ko49s said:
Nope...we drafted a Wilson before, we can do it again. It's not like we just lucked our way into a Super Bowl win.

Priority 1 = Have the best defense in the league
Priority 2 = Have a good running game
Priority 3 = Have a good QB

So you subscribe to the "We're Lucky/Special" viewpoint. And think that what we did, known far and wide at this point, wouldn't diminish the opportunity to recreate it again.

This is like the dude at a Blackjack Table hitting 21 on a 15 and being like "welp, I hit on 15 before why not again?"

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
To those wanting to put the top D back on the field and let Wilson walk....how long to build that historical defense it took to win it all that way the first time? We hit several all pro's with 5th round and later picks. Having that formula duplicate again is pretty damn unlikely IMO.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Is there some kind of virus going around among NFL fans where they don't fully appreciate what they have? You truly believe that another Russell Wilson will grow on trees? That the Seahawks win that Super Bowl and go to back to back Super Bowls, without an Underpaid Elite QB? Lol

Like I've always said, we can debate Russ's ability as a pocket passer. I think he's great, and has just never had good protection(by every FACTUAL metric). But even if you think his pocket passing abilities are B+, his mobility and rushing stats brings his overall offensive prowess to an A. Which means, he's been top 5 for some time. Hawks fans have gotten spoiled and you will miss him when some other team is smart enough to pay him

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
As long as the cap keeps going up over 10m a year, it shouldn’t hurt us too much.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Brady's contract has been a huge advantage for the Patriots but it's also an extreme outlier and he's in the twilight of his career. If a QB wants to take less money to win more then that's a laudable choice. The only actual problem with the situation is with the Patriots paying Brady's TB12 Sports Therapy Center unspecified sums of money. The league claims to be aware of the amount and doesn't feel it violates the salary cap, but it should absolutely be made transparent to the public.

Whether we pay Wilson will be a question for next off-season, and the answer will be an easy yes unless circumstances change significantly between now and then. The most likely changes would be either a significant injury or poor team performance that leaves us with a lottery pick.

nrayorr

Reaction score
I do see the team offering Wilson this kind of money... I also see that RW may not take it because he would want to build up the team with the money. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
nrayorr":zy0otjrn said:
I do see the team offering Wilson this kind of money... I also see that RW may not take it because he would want to build up the team with the money. Thoughts?

Doubt it. Have you seen his wife LOL? Also Russ was not that easy to sign and finally "caved in" making just under Rodgers $$ the first time around. Also his sights are set high on owning a pro sports team. I don't see Russell giving $$ away at this point, and honestly would not expect him to.

adeltaY

Reaction score
AgentDib":1pzmy03i said:
Brady's contract has been a huge advantage for the Patriots but it's also an extreme outlier and he's in the twilight of his career. If a QB wants to take less money to win more then that's a laudable choice. The only actual problem with the situation is with the Patriots paying Brady's TB12 Sports Therapy Center unspecified sums of money. The league claims to be aware of the amount and doesn't feel it violates the salary cap, but it should absolutely be made transparent to the public.

Whether we pay Wilson will be a question for next off-season, and the answer will be an easy yes unless circumstances change significantly between now and then. The most likely changes would be either a significant injury or poor team performance that leaves us with a lottery pick.

The weird thing with the Pats is that they have all that money saved from Brady... Yet they barely have any other great players on the roster. Gronk, Hightower, Mccourty, Gilmore, Edelman. We had double the elite players they did even at the start of 2017. They just work so well as a team and Brady masks a lot of flaws.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
mrt144":1dgeybcy said:
fenderbender123":1dgeybcy said:
Nope...we drafted a Wilson before, we can do it again. It's not like we just lucked our way into a Super Bowl win.

So you subscribe to the "We're Lucky/Special" viewpoint. And think that what we did, known far and wide at this point, wouldn't diminish the opportunity to recreate it again.

This is like the dude at a Blackjack Table hitting 21 on a 15 and being like "welp, I hit on 15 before why not again?"

Drafting is more about skill than luck. I like to believe our front office has skill, and didn't just rely on luck in the 2011 and 2012 drafts. They had the skill to find pro-bowlers they could draft in the 3rd round and even lower. And those guys are cheap. Were they just lucky? If not, then why don't we just do it again so we can have a 2013 caliber team again?

DJrmb

Reaction score
We went through this last time. People were wondering if Wilson was worth 20+ million. I get it, there is "sticker shock" at first. However, by the end of the deal we now have him for a bargain paying him 23M. You've got to remember that the cap keeps going up and average salaries as well.

Ultimately the answer depends on what you think of Wilson as a QB. If he is a franchise QB and one of the top 5 or so in the league then yes you pay him. A franchise QB keeps you in the hunt every year and gives you a much better chance at winning it all. Think of guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodger. When was the last time their teams had no chance at winning it all in your mind to begin a season? Having that sort of player gives you a chance every year. I know there are the exceptions (the Eagles, 2000 Ravens, 2003 Bucs). However, all those teams were mostly 1 and done (we'll see on the Eagles, they're kind of unique as they do have a QB but he was hurt). In my opinion it's just too difficult to build a complete team where you can plug in an average QB and keep them together to win consistently. The proven model that works long term with the least amount of "volatility" has been to find and keep a franchise QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":cb899jjf said:
mrt144":cb899jjf said:
fenderbender123":cb899jjf said:

Drafting is more about skill than luck. I like to believe our front office has skill, and didn't just rely on luck in the 2011 and 2012 drafts. They had the skill to find pro-bowlers they could draft in the 3rd round and even lower. And those guys are cheap. Were they just lucky? If not, then why don't we just do it again so we can have a 2013 caliber team again?

Pray tell, what 14 to 17 draft picks were on that 10 to 12 level of pick? If they had kept pace with their greatest hauls would we even be having this convo?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
They stopped promoting competition. That's part of why the players we drafted in those drafts didn't pan out...they didn't try as hard. They also didn't even draft a QB to compete with Wilson...they were just looking for a backup.

I don't know.

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":16kxojzu said:
They stopped promoting competition. That's part of why the players we drafted in those drafts didn't pan out...they didn't try as hard. They also didn't even draft a QB to compete with Wilson...they were just looking for a backup.

I don't know.

How do you compete as a rookie against arguably the best players at the position in the NFL? Are the odds good that a 4th round safety or corner or MLB would supplant either ET or Sherman or Wagner and thus worth using that pick on? Part of the entire point of landing those whales is so you can throw draft capital around to places that sorely need it. In theory at least. The Hawks are an interesting case on defense of being so top heavy that it would be easy to mistake starters not getting supplanted as competition being lacking but...

Is your argument about a lack of competition aimed at the 'not best in the NFL players' on the team? Perhaps that dovetails with simply not drafting well enough for those positions like OL so that no matter how many tossed their hats in the ring, it was deficient in outcome. I would be surprised if the positions we turned over the most season to season weren't also our worst position groups. OL, WR, RB, CB opposite Sherman, DT.

What is the point of churn and turning over the roster every 3 seasons if not trying to find your best fits? Sometimes how bad you want something isn't going to overcome HOF talent making HOF money.

purpleneer

Reaction score
The priority needs to be winning the Super Bowl. Every "rule" about building your team to do so should be flexible as they can lead to mistakes that hurt the goal. Most decisions that are made "because we had to" become mistakes, or lead to mistakes. Circumstances in the NFL are always changing and most teams fail because they don't understand that. No plan is surefire and it's always possible that any small detail makes the difference.
In this case, I would lean toward the thought that something near #1 cap hit in the league probably makes anther Lombardi less likely, but there's no way to be sure about it or the odds of some other options. It's super hard to know where it is, but there is a point where "whatever it takes" is a mistake.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":3e6tstqc said:
fenderbender123":3e6tstqc said:

I don't know.

How do you compete as a rookie against arguably the best players at the position in the NFL? Are the odds good that a 4th round safety or corner or MLB would supplant either ET or Sherman or Wagner and thus worth using that pick on? Part of the entire point of landing those whales is so you can throw draft capital around to places that sorely need it. In theory at least. The Hawks are an interesting case on defense of being so top heavy that it would be easy to mistake starters not getting supplanted as competition being lacking but...

Is your argument about a lack of competition aimed at the 'not best in the NFL players' on the team? Perhaps that dovetails with simply not drafting well enough for those positions like OL so that no matter how many tossed their hats in the ring, it was deficient in outcome. I would be surprised if the positions we turned over the most season to season weren't also our worst position groups. OL, WR, RB, CB opposite Sherman, DT.

What is the point of churn and turning over the roster every 3 seasons if not trying to find your best fits? Sometimes how bad you want something isn't going to overcome HOF talent making HOF money.

Exactly. Like offensive line as long as you have Tom Fable helping make choices.....you'll need all you can get your hands on and then you'll still suck....(as you later stated also).

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think if you took out the monetary value and instead phrased the question as “Is Wilson worth the going rate for a top 5 QB in the NFL?” The answer would be a resounding yes.

If not, what else would be his market value? Top 10-15 market rate? 15-30? I mean, even if I hated the Seahawks I would know that Wilson is at LEAST a top 7 QB in the league in his PRIME while many at his level are beginning to enter the sunset of their illustrious careers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":3ktaaycl said:
We went through this last time. People were wondering if Wilson was worth 20+ million. I get it, there is "sticker shock" at first. However, by the end of the deal we now have him for a bargain paying him 23M. You've got to remember that the cap keeps going up and average salaries as well.

Ultimately the answer depends on what you think of Wilson as a QB. If he is a franchise QB and one of the top 5 or so in the league then yes you pay him. A franchise QB keeps you in the hunt every year and gives you a much better chance at winning it all. Think of guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodger. When was the last time their teams had no chance at winning it all in your mind to begin a season? Having that sort of player gives you a chance every year. I know there are the exceptions (the Eagles, 2000 Ravens, 2003 Bucs). However, all those teams were mostly 1 and done (we'll see on the Eagles, they're kind of unique as they do have a QB but he was hurt). In my opinion it's just too difficult to build a complete team where you can plug in an average QB and keep them together to win consistently. The proven model that works long term with the least amount of "volatility" has been to find and keep a franchise QB.
Yes we did yet someone who posted in it creates a near duplicate..i believe the previous thread said over 30
million.
Anyway I said all I have to say in there(previous thread that got recreated) :177692:

Fade

Reaction score
Remember all the hand wringing when Wilson signed his last deal? He was the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. Now he currently the 11th highest paid.

Russell Wilson is easily worth $33M APY sign me up right now. Especially when I look at what Matt Ryan & Kirk Cousins are getting. Rodgers did the packers a solid, he could've easily gotten more.

pmedic920

Reaction score
He’s worth every bit to the Seahawks, that any QB is worth to any team.

Brady, Rodgers, any of them.

Edit

And if the Seahawks ever let him go over a couple million, they be stupid.

:{)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1vgo5lh0 said:
DJrmb":1vgo5lh0 said:

Yes we did yet someone who posted in it creates a near duplicate..i believe the previous thread said over 30
million.
Anyway I said all I have to say in there(previous thread that got recreated) :177692:

With new information and relevance yes :roll: .... because Wilson's last contract was set at exactly $100,000 under Rodgers for good reason. Try to keep up please.