Isn't the Seahawks mantra "We reward our own..."?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
It would be amazing to see Marshawn reach 10,000 rushing yards and 100 total TDs as a Seahawk.

While the stats might not mean much to him, as a fan those would be very special moments. At his current pace, he could get the yardage by the 4th game of the 2016 season and the TDs by the end of that year.

Even better, of course, would be to see him get another ring or two along the way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":xygft4y2 said:
Sgt. Largent":xygft4y2 said:
SonicHawk":xygft4y2 said:
If the Hawks cut Lynch next year, I won't be surprised. However, I don't think even Lynch knows how much longer he's got as a top RB.

Nobody in the league knows how much longer they have, that's why when you're playing amazing football like Lynch you leverage it into a new deal.

That's the NFL. No one honors their contract unless both sides want to........and Lynch will not want to, and I don't think the Hawks will want to either. A position as important on how this team is built, Pete and John are going to want at least a 2-3 year answer at RB as far as who's going to be there.

Tell me what kind of leverage Lynch has over the Hawks? He can demand a new contract all he wants, but I HIGHLY doubt we give him an extension. At best I can see us guaranteeing his money for next year is about it.

He has ALL the leverage. He threatened to retire last year if he didn't get more money, what makes you think he wouldn't do it again?

Marshawn's a different cat, he cares more about respect and running people over than fame or fortune. I don't doubt for a second he'd just walk away if he didn't like his situation.

With his personality you know damn well he's looking forward to not having to answer to anybody and just doing what he wants to do. Therefore if the situation isn't perfect, then he's not coming back............and coming back for the last year of his contract? That's not perfect for him.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u7s910h said:
He has ALL the leverage. He threatened to retire last year if he didn't get more money, what makes you think he wouldn't do it again?

Marshawn's a different cat, he cares more about respect and running people over than fame or fortune. I don't doubt for a second he'd just walk away if he didn't like his situation.

With his personality you know damn well he's looking forward to not having to answer to anybody and just doing what he wants to do. Therefore if the situation isn't perfect, then he's not coming back............and coming back for the last year of his contract? That's not perfect for him.

If the team (and everyone assumes this) is preparing to dump him next season anyway, then exactly what leverage is it that you think Lynch has?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":213pd1aa said:
Sgt. Largent":213pd1aa said:

If the team (and everyone assumes this) is preparing to dump him next season anyway, then exactly what leverage is it that you think Lynch has?

The leverage now is he's the most valuable player on the team who sets the entire tone for how we want to play.

He's making it VERY hard for Pete and John to move forward with their plan of not resigning him because of how well he's playing right now. THAT'S the leverage.

Can you imagine Marshawn not on this team right now? With Russell's struggles, he's single handedly carrying the offense.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fliaxs2 said:
Cartire":3fliaxs2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3fliaxs2 said:

The leverage now is he's the most valuable player on the team who sets the entire tone for how we want to play.

He's making it VERY hard for Pete and John to move forward with their plan of not resigning him because of how well he's playing right now. THAT'S the leverage.

Can you imagine Marshawn not on this team right now? With Russell's struggles, he's single handedly carrying the offense.

Beast is still a great back. But lets not pretend like sundays game has been the norm all year. That was only his 2nd 100 yard rushing game of the season. This is what happens when people over-react. He had a dominate game. That doesnt translate to dominate games for the next 2 seasons. Im not against him getting another year, but as of now, hes on the roster for 2015. Hes going to get 8 million to do it. If he chooses to hold out, we save 8 million. If he doesnt, we have a great back still. Both are acceptable.

The team has the leverage here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":29lk1ouy said:

Believe me, I'd love to agree with you. But I just don't see it.

Team leverage is "we don't need you, we have guys that will take your place and not skip a beat."...........and that's just not true. We do need Marshawn right now.

Now maybe things change in the off season. Maybe we trade up to get a back like Gurley or something, or sign/draft some great WR's and move away from a run first nasty style of offense.

But right now at this very moment? Leverage is all Lynch, he knows it, his agent knows it, and Pete/John know it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h2b1fkv said:
Cartire":1h2b1fkv said:

Team leverage is "we don't need you, we have guys that will take your place and not skip a beat."...........and that's just not true. We do need Marshawn right now.

Now maybe things change in the off season. Maybe we trade up to get a back like Gurley or something, or sign/draft some great WR's and move away from a run first nasty style of offense.

But right now at this very moment? Leverage is all Lynch, he knows it, his agent knows it, and Pete/John know it.

I think you are overvaluing the most undervalued position in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":ywo39t0a said:
Sgt. Largent":ywo39t0a said:
Cartire":ywo39t0a said:

I think you are overvaluing the most undervalued position in the NFL.

Not on this team it's not. Other than QB, it's the MOST valued position, and the entire identity of this franchise. Nasty, pound your opponent into submission.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2aw033je said:
Not on this team it's not.
There are running backs, there are great running backs, and then there's Marshawn.
Right now, the dude is the Soul of this team, and the heart.

That's textbook leverage right there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it's hard to put up 100 yard games when your giving the ball to number 11 the first 4 or 5 games of the season also.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":3hrdehae said:
McGruff":3hrdehae said:
I think I am still leary because of what happened to Shaun. It's dangerous to sink money into a 30 year old RB with high mileage.

I thought it was beyond stupid to sign Shaun, but they had to. They had to resign the reigning MVP at that time because the SB had brought on a lot of new fans to the team. And those fans didn't understand it was actually the OLine, not Shaun.

I see the two situations as entirely different.

Totally agree, Pe, but the back story on the deal is that Ruskell knew that re-signing SA would not sit well with Hutch and keeping that line intact should have been his top priority.. even over clamoring fans, imo.

Still, Ruskell gambled and felt letting Hutch test the market would produce a favorable outcome. He'd match Hutch's best offer, Hutch would want to remain with Walt, be pacified and any hard feelings would be swept under the Hawk's nest. He was very wrong and the SA deal was huge in the poison pill, as hard as that is for most to believe.

But to your excellent point...'shawn isn't Shaun. SA ran like a man possessed in his contract year. I even recall him breaking tackles and fighting for yards without the goal line in sight.

Lynch has run one way since his arrival and has done so even when other backs (including his heir apparent) were drafted instead of O-line help to help extend his career, get him bigger numbers and probably bigger money. If not here, elsewhere.

Like yourself, I see no comparison in the two situations. We have zero reason to believe Lynch is slowing down (as crazy as that sounds) and we have less reason to believe he will go soft on us.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Seahawks, and most of the fanbase, expected Russell to continue to improve at the same rate (an almost impossible task) - which would have made him the basis for winning for the next several years.

The team was anticipating moving from a team that depends on the Run, and gets yards off the PA pass besides - to a team led by a top 5 QB that consistently moves the team down the field. The problem is they neglected to provide Wilson with an adequate line, top receivers, or even effective TEs. So shockingly he looks like he has regressed.

Can Russell CONSISTENTLY carry the team from this point on? I think the answer clearly is unclear. Certainly Wilson can will a team to victory but consistently? Not sure the #s or the production is there yet. So this team MUST rely on Lynch to keep us competitive.

At this point Lynch has the leverage because without him we lose 3+ games more each year. Now the question is what we do about it?

Lynch values loyalty and demonstrations of the same. This team jacked Big Red and Clemons over, so we know the vets are already wary here. Would other teams do the same? Likely. But it becomes hard to get a guy like Lynch to take a hometown discount when he knows he is contributing more to victories than the vaunted QB is, and to carry this flag, he is sacrificing his own health at a greater rate.

Without Lynch the Seahawks simply are not competitive offensively and one could argue it hurts the defense too.

I feel like when the Mariners were sure they had to cut Randy Johnson because of his "getting older/bad back/etc", which immediately dumped them deeper into the toilet. Meanwhile RJ went ahead and won a World Series.

Lynch should get paid because he earned it and because he is the most consistent and important player on the Seahawks today and next year. It does not diminish what Wilson is doing now but Wilson is simply not delivering results like he was last year - Lynch is.

If the Seahawks want to compete for a championship in the near future, they will pay their best player. That player is Marshawn Lynch.

Seafan

Reaction score
He's not a free agent next year. This isn't a decision they'll have to make if they don't want.

If he's worth an extension after next season he'll likely get one.

TwilightError

Reaction score
In my opinion he should not be cut under any circumstances during next offseason. Re-signing him can be evaluated during next season. After next season, I dont believe any team will pay huge money for a 30 year old RB, so pay the man what he needs if he can still do it. Big one year contracts shoud do the trick.

cacksman

Reaction score
pehawk":3kz03ql9 said:
Pete and John have built a very favorable reputation with players around the league for "doing right by" and rewarding their own.

They've did right by Flynn in trading him to a destination which gives him a shot to start. They had an offer for Leon Washington from TB, but desided to release him so he could choose where he wanted to play. Monetarily the Bennett's and Avril's of the NFL agree to play in Seattle on short contracts because they know they'll get rewarded well should they succeed.

It's a brilliant way to turn a usually avoided city for free agency into a premier destination.

So knowing all that... don't the Seahawks have to consider signing Lynch now, or risk losing that hard-earned and valuable reputation? Doesn't not signing him send the wrong message?

I'm sure this has been said many times, but HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE SIGNED. He's under contract for the rest of this year, as well as next year.

If they decide they want to sign him to another contract in 2 years, then he will be a hell of a lot more inexpensive than if they would sign him now when he's playing the best he ever has.

Latest posts