Isn't the Seahawks mantra "We reward our own..."?

kpak76

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1prt2wro said:
Of course it. However Lynch is an absolute freak. He is an x-factor as well as a top 5 RB in the league. Let's put Julius Jones in behind that line and see if he can produce Beast's numbers. Was Beast still carrying us when Unger was out?

I'm not discounting Lynch at all. He is special, a top 5 RB easily in the NFL. But lets not pretend he didn't struggled when Okung and more particulaly Unger when they where out. Last week the holes weren't nearly as large as we saw yesterday and he average less than 4YPC.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":75i2rur7 said:
ivotuk":75i2rur7 said:
I believe Brock Huard said he's scheduled to make 8 Million in 2015. That's a good chunk of change. I'm all for adding on another year but Pete and John are much smarter, and less emotional than us fans. .

I think Pete and John would jump at just adding one more year to Lynch's current deal.

The question isn't this, it's would Marshawn be OK with that?.........and if this past off season of him wanting a new long term deal taught us anything, it's that the answer is no.

My guess is he wants at least a new 3-4 year deal. I'm hoping we can just do a 2-3 year deal at around the same price, but if there are teams out there willing to break the bank for Lynch (which is probably the case), then my gut feeling is he's gone.

If we extend him another year that last year wont be guaranteed.

Honestly, if we renegotiate anything, I could see them just guaranteeing his entire salary next year and see what happens after. I'm sure this will entice Lynch to play out his contract and we don't lose any cap space. We can talk about resinging him after that year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":elhrnkeb said:
McGruff":elhrnkeb said:
I think I am still leary because of what happened to Shaun. It's dangerous to sink money into a 30 year old RB with high mileage.

I thought it was beyond stupid to sign Shaun, but they had to. They had to resign the reigning MVP at that time because the SB had brought on a lot of new fans to the team. And those fans didn't understand it was actually the OLine, not Shaun.

I see the two situations as entirely different.

Shaun Alexander was also the league MVP that season and league's leading rusher. He came off two straight seasons where he led the NFL in TDs as well. All points to the reason to sign him to his deal. No one could have predicted that he would get injured in the first game the following season and his career would have a significant downfall. At the time he was the best running back, arguably the best player, in the league.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3rvym0ug said:
pehawk":3rvym0ug said:
McGruff":3rvym0ug said:
I think I am still leary because of what happened to Shaun. It's dangerous to sink money into a 30 year old RB with high mileage.

I thought it was beyond stupid to sign Shaun, but they had to. They had to resign the reigning MVP at that time because the SB had brought on a lot of new fans to the team. And those fans didn't understand it was actually the OLine, not Shaun.

I see the two situations as entirely different.

Shaun Alexander was also the league MVP that season and league's leading rusher. He came off two straight seasons where he led the NFL in TDs as well. All points to the reason to sign him to his deal. No one could have predicted that he would get injured in the first game the following season and his career would have a significant downfall. At the time he was the best running back, arguably the best player, in the league.

No, the best player in the NFL was playing LT in front of SA. They had the best player in football at LT and the best guard in football in Hutch.

jlaff35

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":39qc9llq said:
I was saying this to my wife yesterday. Lynch was the catalyst for changing this franchise and turning our fortunes around. All he's done since he came here is give 100% every single game, behind shitty O-lines and with shitty playcalling, he's still out there giving his all. He's been a consummate professional in all aspects, and I think he deserves some more money, and we need to keep him here. We may lost a Kearse or a Lockette, maybe even an Okung or a Carpenter, but Lynch to me is still the face of this franchise, he represents the hard-nosed attitude that got us to and won us the SB last year.

In the words of John Malkovich's mesmerising 'Teddy KGB' from 'Rounders':

Pay heem. Pay theat meann his manney.

Pretty loose usage of the term "consummate professional" haha. While I agree with almost all that you said about Lynch and running his ass off and giving 100%, a consummate professional probably is somebody more like Russell Wilson, who talks to the media and embraces being the face of a franchise. Marshawn wants nothing to do with that haha. Still gotta love the Beast no matter what.

kpak76

Reaction score
hawkfan68":o6f0o8i6 said:

I would also argue you dont ignore the OL when you have such a dominant run game like we had back then. Not resigning Hutch was as big of an impact to our running game as Alexander going down that year, maybe more.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kpak76":7s4chzz1 said:
hawkfan68":7s4chzz1 said:

I would also argue you dont ignore the OL when you have such a dominant run game like we had back then. Not resigning Hutch was as big of an impact to our running game as Alexander going down that year, maybe more.

Sure you don't. The Seahawks management paid the price for ignoring that. The Seahawks have a dominant running game now too. Probably more dominant that they had back then if you look at the run game as a whole. The line doesn't have Jones, Hutch, etc but they are still as dominant in the run game.

kpak76

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2dq509f3 said:
kpak76":2dq509f3 said:
hawkfan68":2dq509f3 said:

Sure you don't. The Seahawks management paid the price for ignoring that. The Seahawks have a dominant running game now too. Probably more dominant that they had back then if you look at the run game as a whole. The line doesn't have Jones, Hutch, etc but they are still as dominant in the run game.

No but they have Okung, Unger, and Sweezy. Not as good as Hutch and Jones, but we are fielding some good run blockers right now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kpak76":hob1j9xd said:
hawkfan68":hob1j9xd said:
kpak76":hob1j9xd said:
hawkfan68":hob1j9xd said:

No but they have Okung, Unger, and Sweezy. Not as good as Hutch and Jones, but we are fielding some good run blockers right now.

I agree they are good run blockers. They do help. However, Lynch's has a tremendous yards after contact average. The OL doesn't factor into that piece. He's probably #1 or very close to being #1 in that category for running backs. That hasn't changed no matter who has been in front of him on the offensive line. His yards after contact numbers are still very good. That's his biggest for him argument and of course his durability. He hasn't missed a game last season nor this season. He's producing at a high level. He's the best offensive player on the team, bar none. Teams game plan to stop him and still fail to do so. Not just bad teams but the so called power teams like Denver and GB.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
kpak76":2832ucqr said:
NJSeaHawk":2832ucqr said:
Of course it. However Lynch is an absolute freak. He is an x-factor as well as a top 5 RB in the league. Let's put Julius Jones in behind that line and see if he can produce Beast's numbers. Was Beast still carrying us when Unger was out?

I'm not discounting Lynch at all. He is special, a top 5 RB easily in the NFL. But lets not pretend he didn't struggled when Okung and more particulaly Unger when they where out. Last week the holes weren't nearly as large as we saw yesterday and he average less than 4YPC.

lynchtdraiders.gif

I'll just leave this here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":a4cufg9k said:
hawkfan68":a4cufg9k said:

Holmgren's explained this whole scenario earlier this year.

He went to the competition committee meetings and told Ruskell AND Hutchinson that if they couldn't work out a new deal, that he'd be franchised. Ruskell decided like the idiot he was to not waste the franchise tag, and instead transition tag Hutch. Thus the "Poison Pill" story was born.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-nfl- ... e-holmgren

The real screw job was by the league for not voiding Hutch's contract with Minnesota over the poison pill verbiage after we protested........which is now btw illegal to do.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1flwihj5 said:
kpak76":1flwihj5 said:
hawkfan68":1flwihj5 said:

He went to the competition committee meetings and told Ruskell AND Hutchinson that if they couldn't work out a new deal, that he'd be franchised. Ruskell decided like the idiot he was to not waste the franchise tag, and instead transition tag Hutch. Thus the "Poison Pill" story was born.

The real screw job was by the league for not voiding Hutch's contract with Minnesota over the poison pill verbiage after we protested........which is now btw illegal to do.

We have all heard the story of the Ruskill debaucle.

kpak76

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1cpww1dk said:
kpak76":1cpww1dk said:
NJSeaHawk":1cpww1dk said:

lynchtdraiders.gif

That run while awsome still didn't help him for his YPC that game did it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
edogg23":109pogt3 said:
Lynch is under contract for next year, the seahawks don't need to resign him, they just need to not cut him next year. Why does he need a new contract?
I responded to this question before and I understand the " why does he need a new contract" if he still has one year left. I would bet the house that lynch will not play next year for the Seattle seahawks if he does not get a new contract before the 2015 season starts. He will most assuredly hold out

kpak76

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2lafuc82 said:
edogg23":2lafuc82 said:
Lynch is under contract for next year, the seahawks don't need to resign him, they just need to not cut him next year. Why does he need a new contract?
I responded to this question before and I understand the " why does he need a new contract" if he still has one year left. I would bet the house that lynch will not play next year for the Seattle seahawks if he does not get a new contract before the 2015 season starts. He will most assuredly hold out

Then he is not going to play in 2015 if he holds out. Holding out is pretty dumb if you ask me. The player usually has zero leverage and I can't see the Hawks caving in to Lynch when we have options.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2813sio6 said:
The contract they signed Alexander to was ridiculous. An 8 year contract (I think it was) for a running back at age 29 wasn't smart.
If they re-sign Lynch, which I really hope they do, I would be surprised to see it over 4 years. Unfortunately, there is the cap they would have to work with as well, with Wilson's contract coming up and all.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
kpak76":3gpai7x3 said:
NJSeaHawk":3gpai7x3 said:
kpak76":3gpai7x3 said:
NJSeaHawk":3gpai7x3 said:

lynchtdraiders.gif

That run while awsome still didn't help him for his YPC that game did it.

Tell me another RB in the league that makes this type of run.
I'll wait.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":35zctf35 said:
Sgt. Largent":35zctf35 said:
kpak76":35zctf35 said:
hawkfan68":35zctf35 said:

We have all heard the story of the Ruskill debaucle.

Oh, you sounded confused when you said we ignored the O-line. It wasn't ignored, it was botched. Big difference.

kpak76

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":rv7twp6p said:
Tell me another RB in the league that makes this type of run.
I'll wait.

And your going to be waiting for a long time. The point is as great as that run was, he was limited to 3.2 YPC that game. Thats not against him, but that was poor lineplay because once we saw Okung and Unger come back, you saw him run at a 6.7 YPC clip. I dont call that a coincidence. You need more than just an elite back for an elite running game.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31xbor6n said:
Oh, you sounded confused when you said we ignored the O-line. It wasn't ignored, it was botched. Big difference.

Botched, ignored, go ahead and argue semantics all you want, but the point I was making that losing Hutch hurt that run game almost as much if not more than Alexander going down with his injury.