It doesn't add up! (Athletic Article)

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":rzyygsdh said:
mrt144":rzyygsdh said:
We can be best among the peer group and still experience dead weight loss from the differences between expected values between rushes and passing. Put another way, Rushing, if it is your overriding tactic must achieve value closer to passing for it to really sing and keep the door wide open on those explosive plays which in turn amplify passing efficiency metrics.
To equate rushing productivity with passing productivity is to miss the point of rushing.

Pass plays very often end up with a receiver going out of bounds, an incompletion, or a penalty, all of which stop the clock. It's far rarer for rushing plays to end with a clock stoppage. This means the successful rushing team can control how much clock they consume, or don't consume, based on how quickly they line up to run the next play.

This is something that some amount of analytical thought has tried to look at. Are the supposed downsides of passing really as laden with downsides as often as orthodox suggests? I think there is some basis in suggesting that the clock stoppage and clock management issues with passing are not as prominent given the observed passing game in our status quo. A short pass with a >67% chance of being caught functions similarly to rushing but has a higher ceiling in yardage potential - this is what value differences between rushing and passing suggests a wee bit - that the yardage values, even accounting for incompletes and sacks and whatnot are greater with passing. We live in an ecosystem where that is shown as not only possible but is almost a baseline for what qualifies an 'average' QB. Tactically, one can design plays that keep the clock moving on a completion and increase the ceiling of potential yardage. Less out routes and more slants, as a petty example.

Second, there is the notion that accruing first downs, period, is more efficient in eating clock than the methodology to get there. By example, a 16 play drive clocking in at 10 minutes and yielding 7 points likely eats 5 minutes at least. In contrast, three drives that go three and out yields 0 points and consumes at most 5 and a half minutes. This is to say nothing of what's happening on defense and what they're doing. Between these extremes lies the game of football. Perhaps there should be a time qualified point metric for drives?

Third, one of the things that works against the idea of setting up stuff for later is an indeterminate game state in the future. You can assume you'll keep the game close and then wallop them when you need to after setting it all up but...that opportunity may not develop and the parameters of what needs to be done may change.

If, for instance, you are facing a red-hot passing team, you'll want to eat up as much time as possible because you want to keep their powerful offense on the sideline while wearing down their defense and resting yours. The best way to accomplish this is to get as near as possible to 10 yards every 3 downs, without going under that target. That is why consistent rushers like Lynch and Carson make our rushing game work, because they don't tend to break long runs, but frequently get 3-5 yards and usually end up falling forward.

Agree and let me lay out how I think it works:

Football is a game of opportunities.

Offensive objectives:

Make the most of opportunities by netting points. Failing points, ensure you put the opponent in a spot that is less likely to yield points for themselves. Offense can't control what the opposing offense does with their opportunities and thus are somewhat reactive to the game state.

Deprive the absolute amount of opportunities for the opposing offense by consuming clock.

Defensive objectives:

Limit the value of opportunities by depriving the other team of points.

Create more absolute offensive opportunities for themselves by truncating clock consumption for the opposing offense and outright stopping drives before points can be netted.

While defense is mostly reactive on each play, they are less reactive to the game state. There are peculiar instances towards the end of the game where it might behoove the defense to allow a score because of the game state but for most quarters of most games, those two objectives are paramount. And even when the game state suggests that allowing a score to enable your own retaliation to win in the final moments, very few DCs or defensive players will actualize that - they'd prefer to stop it outright, which is their prerogative. Conversely there are the peculiar instances on offense where NOT scoring is more valuable. Players taking a knee on the one yard line in lieu of scoring with less than 90 seconds when they're up by a point and it disallows any potential retaliatory score comes to mind. You allude to that down below.

Pete Carroll stated public philosophy conforms to this. I don't see how PC and I are a gulf apart on this outlook. You can and will win games in the 4th quarter when the game state allows for it.

At the end of the game, if you are ahead, you can grind out a long, slow drive that wins the game because the opponent never gets a chance to take the field. If you are behind, you can speed up your tempo to get more plays in.

Our rushing efficiency with Lynch was one of the big reasons we almost never lost a game by more than 10 points, because we reduced the number of drives in the game, and thus reduced points-against. Obviously, having a premier defense had something to say in that as well.

Agreed! Even doing a cursory 'hump analysis' shows that Lynch was in fact money (He was a top RB from 2012 to 2014 across the league and fundamental to the Hawks themselves) at doing what was asked and then some to keep the offense humming until the knives could be pulled out to seal it. I am absolutely into the argument that with the right pieces, the Hawks are basically an unstoppable monster. But that kicks the question over to personnel which is an aspect of the team where there are a ton of unknowns and moving parts. Like, I'm way up on Dissly now and cold on Vannett. Are either of these the right players for the Hawks? Well only one is available at the moment soooooo...

I recall a game vs Denver, around the 1999 season, where Denver was ahead and in position to score. They could have knelt on the ball and run out the clock, but they chose to go for the score. We got the ball, scored quickly, made a successful on-side kick, and scored again to force overtime. Denver eventually won, but the point is had they simply knelt on the ball they would have won in regulation without risk. That's why Pete Carroll so often values ending the game on offense, because you control the outcome. Having a strong rushing game enables that because of the clock control it provides.

Addressed above, but yes, these situations exist. They are not the norm de rigueur for most football games or game states though.

None of that relates to AYPA. AYPA relates to a brute-force game plan with no finesse or strategy. While it works well when it works, there are many times it fails, such as when you meet a great defense, or play in poor conditions, or an off game from your QB.

We play 8 games outdoors in one of the rainiest cities in the US, but more importantly playoff games are played (when not in domes) in pretty much universally poor conditions. Given the problems prolific passing offenses can have in inclement conditions, having a strong rushing game when we are likely to face those conditions - particularly when it counts - makes a lot of sense.

Add a potent defense to poor conditions, and you have 2/3 of the causes for a passing offense to falter. In XLVIII, we had the combination of a potent defense and a QB off his game, and they only managed 8 points. Imagine if that game had also been played in the snow.

Fair, which leads back to the imperative of 'know thyself' and an interesting question about how exactly you differentiate your strategy and tactics based on venue and opponent. Agentdib has insisted that sizing up the opponent is just as important as sizing yourself up and I agree but havent given it much voice because there is little personal agency in what other teams do. You can't control for whether the opposing team is stout in the run game without putting 8 in the box to seal it. You can't control for whether it'll be a perfect Autumn day in October at the Clink. There are a lot of things out of the control of agents and actors in football that none the less exist as impediments towards running your game how you want to run it. At the player level. At the coaching level.

This actually leads me to thinking about scouting and self scouting. All things considered do you think the Hawks self scout or scout other teams as well, better or worse than the peers we'd like to whoop on in the playoffs? How would you start to approach that question with the little information we do have, including public statements that effectively state "Try and stop us". I think maybe this is where my ire should be focused but that is so thoroughly behind the veil that trying to tie anything we observe on field or through public statements to that facet of coaching is very high hanging fruit, if it exists at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":2alwlgpm said:
chris98251":2alwlgpm said:
What kills me is people want to categorize and Statistic size every Nuance of everything. Football by definition is a game of emotion, passion and psychology. You want to beat a guy and cause doubts, you want to take the heart of a team away, you want to make them remember they had no chance for the next time and create a Aura of a certain image. You want that team to feel they have no chance when they play you.

I mean, isn't one of the most important parts of coaching cladding your team from the emotional roller coaster of a game to help them maintain focus and perform to the best of their ability? I am not discounting that, I just don't speak to it because I think PC is pretty much one of the best if not the best with that in the midst of the game. Intermediate to long term, maybe not as much (as evidenced by the obvious discontent by former players. I don't take it with a grain of salt that some truly excellent and one of a kind players had their issues with leadership - too much 'trust me' and not enough 'accountability') I take it for granted that Pete is an excellent game day coach vis a vis morale. Maybe I should pepper my thoughts with that acknowledgment?

Let me ask you though - what does all that psychological warfare do when the other coach and team is less susceptible to it? How does one know about this beforehand? On our own end, there is an overriding of philosophy that boils down to "We defy you to stop us despite you having good hunches of what we do." That can be very disruptive and frustrating for the other team. Trying to run a psyche game on a more disciplined team might not lead to that outcome and then what are you left with? Your players and tactics and strategy. I would not make an assumption that other teams and coaches can be manipulated until there is some sort of basis for it in experience - both in tape analysis and in real time events.

Also consider how this cuts the other way - the Hawks under PC have not been exactly the most disciplined team. Some of that is the talent itself. Ifedi incurring holding penalty works against the psyche game and elevates the tactical and strategic game's importance because when put into a 2nd and 13, setting up your best shot at a first down seems a bit more important than trying set up a con down the road because it possibly allows for more run in setting up the con - you get more inflection points to work your psyche game. Getting a DPI on 3rd and 16 also cuts the other way and is a morale zapper.

That same notion of 'what are you left with' is the basis of a lot of poking and prodding and subsequent focus on coaching. I see players as something that can only do so much - they either make the plays or they don't make the plays. Coaches get a sense of the talent through direct contact and direction and practice, so in turn, they should have a better sense of how that player makes the team plug along and function. From the perch of a fan, saying that so and so needs to play better and be better is bordering on self evidence. Players, especially team players, don't think how they play is unimpeachable and beyond reproach. From RW to whoever the 46th dude on the game day roster knows, implicitly AND explicitly they need to perform their damn best. Coaching can nurture that or crush it. But alas, it is a domain we have even less access to than what we see on the field.

Players also suffering injuries and attrition in sports has a real impact. An unavailable yet integral player to how the team operates is not an arbitrary impediment thrown down as a test of grit at mettle, it's the reality of the game that should be accounted for in drawing up plans and ordering actions. I find no solace in excusing outcomes because of injuries or loss of talent. I see that adaptive ability as one integral facet of coaching ability. I am not going to suggest that it is equal to or more important than morale. That isn't the point. The point is impediments allow creativity and adaptability to shine. In the current NBA Finals, the Warriors having so many banged up players isn't an excuse for Steve Kerr or the team itself if they wind up losing. It's their job to find a way to overcome with what is left. If they can do it, praise be, if they can't there is something to learn from it and work on for next season (or next playoffs). A coach's task in my mind is accounting for roster instability. Lack of success isn't lack of trying, I know.

Let me ask, since I stopped playing football at 15 and have only revisited it via Madden, Fantasy Football, and conversation/analysis on various sites - how do you determine if your psyche game is working in real time? Maybe that's an even more fundamental question that I'm after - how do coaches determine during a game if they're pulling the right moves at the right time and setting the table for success?

A good example is the Patriot loss in the Super Bowl, until Avril got hurt we were in their heads, once he went down Brady felt safer and they began to pass.

Then their is the goal line situation with Lynch, we were in their heads then also, but a screw up on our part and trying to out think the situation played into their hands. That's one team trying to go out of their way to make a unique play happen with inferior players in Lockette against a tendency which was a heavy loaded run defense but they went at the strength which was interior and against their Linebacker CB in Browner.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":14smboda said:
Agreed! Even doing a cursory 'hump analysis' shows that Lynch was in fact money (He was a top RB from 2012 to 2014 across the league and fundamental to the Hawks themselves) at doing what was asked and then some to keep the offense humming until the knives could be pulled out to seal it. I am absolutely into the argument that with the right pieces, the Hawks are basically an unstoppable monster. But that kicks the question over to personnel which is an aspect of the team where there are a ton of unknowns and moving parts. Like, I'm way up on Dissly now and cold on Vannett. Are either of these the right players for the Hawks? Well only one is available at the moment soooooo...
You are close to understanding, as long as you avoid the analyse-by-statistics trap.

If you have a running back who consistently gains 3-5 yards, is rarely stuffed, and rarely breaks a long one, then you have the ability to grind out drives little chunks at a time. That eats a lot of clock and reduces the total number of possessions in the game. Because of that, all of the statistics for that game get suppressed.

For example, success is generally a 300-yard game for a QB, a 100-yard game for a running back or receiver. For simple maths, let's say that's over 10 possessions, so the bar is 30 per possession for QB and 10 per possession for others. Now reduce the number of possessions to 8. The QB comes away with 240 yards, and the other guys get 80 yards. The fans boo, fantasy players lose matches, the OC gets sledged because the YPG is down vs the league. However, those are still top-notch performances on the average per drive, or per attempt.

Then the funny thing comes in. We don't really want to average 7 yards per carry on the ground if the goal is to keep hot QBs on the bench and our defense rested. We want that 4 YPC butter zone, so our guys are rested and their guys are sucking oxygen. It's really hard to tackle for 10 straight minutes, and if you have to go out and do it again after a 2 minute rest, whether or not your offense scored, you are winded. Come the 4th quarter you are off your feet, and that's where the Carroll Seahawks win games.

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":1il0kj24 said:
Popeyejones":1il0kj24 said:
A few different things, which I'm going to bullet point, just for ease of reading:

*The basic gist of the article is that in the relationship between run plays + completions and winning, Schotty is confusing the cause for the effect and the effect for the cause. He thinks that the play distributions he wants causes winning but it's the reverse: winning causes the play distributions he's trying to target. Worth noting is that he's not alone in this, as Bill Belichick has made the same mistake in the past.

*The way you get around all of this cause and effect stuff is to look at expected-points-per play for running and passing, which is what people do. And the data on that is very clear: All things being equal pass plays are more effective than run plays. This is partially driven by innovations in passing attacks in the last 20 years, but also explains why almost all teams most of the time are now passing the ball much more than they used to.

*Ben Baldwin isn't an outlier on any of this, so going after him for this is kind of missing the point. Many, many people have studied this, and I'm unaware of anyone who has seriously studied it and not come to the same basic conclusion as Baldwin does.

*If you want to see the consequences of running so much on overall offensive effectiveness, the Seahawks are actually a great example. On a per-play basis last year the Seahawks had the 14th most effective offense in the NFL. That's very middle of the pack, but is only a problem because both in their passing attack AND in their running attack the Seahawks were actually really good. They had the #6 ranked passing attack AND the #6 ranked rushing attack. How do you end up with a Top 6 rushing attack AND passing attack but only end up middle of the pack for overall offensive attack? There's only one way: you're simply rushing the ball way too much and teams with inferior passing and rushing attacks are passing more than you and flying by you in overall offensive effectiveness.

There is so much wrong here, if your scoring then your not getting more yards and completions, if your defense gives you short fields your offensive output will look worse then teams that have a bad defense and are passing and coming from behind.

Say what you will, only Statistic that matters is Win / Loss. Everything else can be skewed for one reason or another and people taking snap shots of one aspect and not add in the others which is a shit ton of data and variables are not getting and presenting the whole picture.

Cable got one thing right. He said "you throw to score and run to win".

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that a very heavy passing attack typically has lower average time of possessions. Outside of turnover differential and actual ppg, that is likely the next most important statistic for an offense. You keep the ball away from other (supposedly) more effective offenses and rest your defense. Throw all you want, you can't win from the sidelines.

HawkGA

Reaction score
mrt144":20t87ibr said:
AgentDib and KiwiHawk, I will respond to your post later but a sexy wife beckons and I am not one to pass or run on that.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Largent80

Reaction score
Without typing needless walls of text.

We're going to run the ball. Try and stop it. Because you can't regardless of league trends.

Largent80

Reaction score
Our philosophy is perfect for the personnel we have and that is a testament to JS and Pete.

It's worked for a DECADE despite all the new trends. The friggin Lambs beat us by a total of 7 points in TWO GAMES. McVay?..What the Hey?....We're kicking your dumb assed motion left offense this year and only spending 2 million combined on our CB's to do it.

They aren't all that and that was so evident in the SB.

I'm loving who we are as a team and more importantly, who is in charge.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":2myo9k7n said:
Our philosophy is perfect for the personnel we have and that is a testament to JS and Pete.

It's worked for a DECADE despite all the new trends. The friggin Lambs beat us by a total of 7 points in TWO GAMES. McVay?..What the Hey?....We're kicking your dumb assed motion left offense this year and only spending 2 million combined on our CB's to do it.

They aren't all that and that was so evident in the SB.

I'm loving who we are as a team and more importantly, who is in charge.

Should correct that statement, worked for DECADES, a purely passing offense to my mind has never won a Super Bowl.

mikeak

Reaction score

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawks46":3axfk6n8 said:
chris98251":3axfk6n8 said:
Popeyejones":3axfk6n8 said:
A few different things, which I'm going to bullet point, just for ease of reading:

*The basic gist of the article is that in the relationship between run plays + completions and winning, Schotty is confusing the cause for the effect and the effect for the cause. He thinks that the play distributions he wants causes winning but it's the reverse: winning causes the play distributions he's trying to target. Worth noting is that he's not alone in this, as Bill Belichick has made the same mistake in the past.

*The way you get around all of this cause and effect stuff is to look at expected-points-per play for running and passing, which is what people do. And the data on that is very clear: All things being equal pass plays are more effective than run plays. This is partially driven by innovations in passing attacks in the last 20 years, but also explains why almost all teams most of the time are now passing the ball much more than they used to.

*Ben Baldwin isn't an outlier on any of this, so going after him for this is kind of missing the point. Many, many people have studied this, and I'm unaware of anyone who has seriously studied it and not come to the same basic conclusion as Baldwin does.

*If you want to see the consequences of running so much on overall offensive effectiveness, the Seahawks are actually a great example. On a per-play basis last year the Seahawks had the 14th most effective offense in the NFL. That's very middle of the pack, but is only a problem because both in their passing attack AND in their running attack the Seahawks were actually really good. They had the #6 ranked passing attack AND the #6 ranked rushing attack. How do you end up with a Top 6 rushing attack AND passing attack but only end up middle of the pack for overall offensive attack? There's only one way: you're simply rushing the ball way too much and teams with inferior passing and rushing attacks are passing more than you and flying by you in overall offensive effectiveness.

There is so much wrong here, if your scoring then your not getting more yards and completions, if your defense gives you short fields your offensive output will look worse then teams that have a bad defense and are passing and coming from behind.

Say what you will, only Statistic that matters is Win / Loss. Everything else can be skewed for one reason or another and people taking snap shots of one aspect and not add in the others which is a shit ton of data and variables are not getting and presenting the whole picture.

Cable got one thing right. He said "you throw to score and run to win".

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that a very heavy passing attack typically has lower average time of possessions. Outside of turnover differential and actual ppg, that is likely the next most important statistic for an offense. You keep the ball away from other (supposedly) more effective offenses and rest your defense. Throw all you want, you can't win from the sidelines.

We ranked 14th in time of possesions / drive

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... atsoff2018

Guess who was 13th (ie better)?..... KC

We were predictable, punted to often. The real myth is that passing has to be fast. You can outlet pass and slow the game down. Dunk and dunk for a few yards per play. Seattle did it masterfully against Tennessee. Want to say it was 2015 definately at home.

Lanakila

Reaction score
I need to point out that surfing is the best sport in the world. There is no sport more difficult to master but when the time is spent the rewards far exceed what you will experience in any other sport.
And I will add that Kelly Slater is the greatest living athlete of our time. 11 time world champion and still competing at 47.

acer1240

Reaction score
Lanakila":23itlm1u said:
I need to point out that surfing is the best sport in the world. There is no sport more difficult to master but when the time is spent the rewards far exceed what you will experience in any other sport.
And I will add that Kelly Slater is the greatest living athlete of our time. 11 time world champion and still competing at 47.

Until a shark eats the shit out of your leg....

Jville

Reaction score
acer1240":12b9p0fq said:
Lanakila":12b9p0fq said:

Or a moderator come cruisin by ..................

** Thread Hijacking **

Please make an effort to stay on topic in every thread, regardless of forum.

If you want to branch out and talk about a different topic, please do so in a new thread!

We realize that some threads will evolve and change, but do not jump into a topic and change the course of the thread!
[urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":15ewzwu5 said:
acer1240":15ewzwu5 said:
Lanakila":15ewzwu5 said:

Or a moderator come cruisin by ..................

** Thread Hijacking **

Please make an effort to stay on topic in every thread, regardless of forum.

If you want to branch out and talk about a different topic, please do so in a new thread!

We realize that some threads will evolve and change, but do not jump into a topic and change the course of the thread!
[urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981[/urltargetblank]

Hijacking a thread talking about Moderation, Nice one :)

I know a good one when I see one !

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":2jh1ls16 said:
Uncle Si":2jh1ls16 said:
chris98251":2jh1ls16 said:
Uncle Si":2jh1ls16 said:
You're wrong.. unless you think points in hockey and basketball are also happy accidents.soccer is extremely managed and controlled but with a great deal of fluidity.

Football is far more deliberate. Planning is methodical as the game is not fluid. Everything is planned, scripted and surveyed.

Two different games and hard to find comparisons.

Soccer is also the best sport in the world, so comparisons are not fair to American football

Only in places that don't have American Football. If it were then Networks would be paying the billions a season in advertisement and Merchandise Money etc to have it air on Television.

Also the argument that Soccer is new to the USA is empty, they have been trying to introduce it successfully for 40 plus years now.

You clearly need to do a bit more research on how , and how many, Americans watch soccer (a British term by the way, quoting it as condescending fails to acknowledge it's origin).

It won't surpass football soon, but it is growing very quickly and will challenge it before you know it.

The same cannot really be said about American football elsewhere. It draws crowds in England, sure, but that's about it.

I love being a fan of both. I think Seahawks fans would really embrace the fan atmospheres at soccer games, if they tried it.

Back on topic, not sure there is much data points that could be used by both sports. Hell, even analyzing specific data outside basic statistics us fairly new and innovative in soccer
Tbf, we have been hearing that soccer popularity has been growing in the US for 40 years. And it may grow, but will always be a distant 4th at best.
It pains me to say this Tical, but sadly I believe it'll eventually supplant baseball in the #3 spot. I REALLY hope I'm wrong.