It's not Schotty. It's Pete.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1n8c7j04 said:
It's a valid question. Those who don't like it being asked aren't fans but blind devotees.

I'd prefer my thread not devolve into veiled insults. Thanks in advance.

Pete shouldn't be fired. Not saying that you suggested that today (at least not for a few months ;) ). But firing is out of the question. He delivered amazing results personnel-wise and the team overachieved. That's not "winning in spite" of anything.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Fade":1bsd20zv said:
mistaowen":1bsd20zv said:
Pete admittedly gave up his input to the offensive side. You’re pushing this.

This was a Jets mark Sanchez led effort. Nothing else describes this. Any tough game for his offense couldn’t do anything if running the ball didn’t work. Passing game was there all day and he took the ball out of Russell’s hands.

So Pete just watched this go down quarter after quarter, and didn't do anything about it?

I don't think so.

Either it's Pete's fault for doing nothing and letting it happen, or it's Pete's fault for having a big hand in the gameplan.

It's still his fault at the end of the day.

If I were placing my bet, I would place it on Pete having a big hand in the gameplan. And Schotty following orders.

TRUE.

Most likely Pete stepped in (took over?) for the playoffs. He's a big ego kind of guy. At this level that's par for the course.

Schotty has two choices - he ignores Pete's input or he follows orders.

It appears he followed orders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1x62rgqb said:
Fade":1x62rgqb said:
mistaowen":1x62rgqb said:

This was a Jets mark Sanchez led effort. Nothing else describes this. Any tough game for his offense couldn’t do anything if running the ball didn’t work. Passing game was there all day and he took the ball out of Russell’s hands.

So Pete just watched this go down quarter after quarter, and didn't do anything about it?

I don't think so.

Either it's Pete's fault for doing nothing and letting it happen, or it's Pete's fault for having a big hand in the gameplan.

If I were placing my bet, I would place it on Pete having a big hand in the gameplan. And Schotty following orders.

TRUE.

Most likely Pete stepped in (took over?) for the playoffs. He's a big ego kind of guy. At this level that's par for the course.

And more hypocrisy

Absurd logic as well...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
semiahmoo":bl6t7al2 said:
Fade":bl6t7al2 said:
mistaowen":bl6t7al2 said:

I don't think so.

TRUE.

Had Seattle opened up the game throwing it all over the lot people in here would have (rightfully) lost their mind for going away from what worked all year.

The gameplan wasnt the problem. It was failing to ditch it mid game when it was not working.

Own The West

Reaction score
The Dallas D was sold out on the run and winning, so going pass-happy in the 2nd half would have been a plan as would have been doubling down on the run with a full back or more 2 TE sets. What I saw looked like what happens with you leaf through the play book and go, "This might work, let's try this one."

We got a lot of bad breaks in the 4th - but KJs pick could have been DPI as well. I'm not giving the refs any blame/credit.

Unless Dickson suddenly forgot to punt though, special teams was flat atrocious. Purposely out-kicking coverage to Austin all game, not figuring out how to do PAT/FG at halftime after Seabass went down, not discussing with Dickson how to do a onside kick during the final 8 minutes of the game -- did our special teams coach miss the bus to the game?

The fact that Defense is the only team that shows up every week though, I'd say that's on Pete. He needs to put Schotty on notice and keep looking for a ST coach/kicker that can do the job.

John63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":239il420 said:
It's fair to criticize the gameplan (and specifically the stubborn playcalling) in this game.

But to say we are "stuck" with Pete for two more years?

Cmon, we are better than this. This team was 10-6 against all odds largely because of Pete.

He's not perfect, but he's a dang good coach. He deserves criticsm today, but lets not go overboard and start pretending wed be better off without him :roll:

Really was it because of PC? I could Argue it is because certain players played out of their minds, Carson, Lockett, Wagner Etc. FYI Yes I think we would be better off now without him and with a young offensive minded coach. PCs system worked in 2014. Back when he knew the players in the draft from college. Back when we had a top Defense and even then it did not work till we got the right QB. AS has happened before with PC one could argue he has been here too long. He is trying to make players play in his system that is better suited for another. We can still be a run first team but not run first at all cost. Which is what we were today.

getnasty

Reaction score
Pete's not that invoked in the offense. Of course he wants to run the ball and control time of possession but Pete's not sitting there saying you need to run the ball on 96% of all fist down.

Fade

Reaction score
The Carolina gameplan was the blueprint. Carolina did the same thing, and the Hawks torched them for selling out to stop the run.

This game, they just continued to predictably run into a brick wall. When they did break the script (passing on early downs) they had success.

Pete & Schotty failed in this game. The End.

John63

Reaction score
supahawk":38358c8t said:
First it was Bevell. Then it was Schotty. Keep blaming everyone other than who is the common denominators. Once the Hawks paid RW they became mediocre. That may be good enough for some.

Wow really I think once our fat, overpaid and happy supposedly great Defense, made it all about them it started going downhill. Remember they all got paid before Wilson. So If I understand you they should have let Wilson walk and had some backup QB the team, you think we would have been better off? WOudl that have stopped Kam form getting hurt? ET, Sherman? Look I know from having read this board a lot before I joined some on here have to blame Wilson for everything. But this is ridiculous, and as such will go the way of all like it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
John63":25k329jq said:
Hawkpower":25k329jq said:
It's fair to criticize the gameplan (and specifically the stubborn playcalling) in this game.

Cmon, we are better than this. This team was 10-6 against all odds largely because of Pete.

He's not perfect, but he's a dang good coach. He deserves criticsm today, but lets not go overboard and start pretending wed be better off without him :roll:

Really was it because of PC? I could Argue it is because certain players played out of their minds, Carson, Lockett, Wagner Etc. FYI Yes I think we would be better off now without him and with a young offensive minded coach. PCs system worked in 2014. Back when he knew the players in the draft from college. Back when we had a top Defense and even then it did not work till we got the right QB. AS has happened before with PC one could argue he has been here too long. He is trying to make players play in his system that is better suited for another. We can still be a run first team but not run first at all cost. Which is what we were today.

To me, this is too reactionary to what you saw tonight.

As I said, Pete deserves crticism for this game, but hes been rightfully lauded by EVERYONE all year and rightfully so.

He's got flaws, as all coaches do. But lets not speak of him all year for deserved coach of the year consideration and then turn around and pretend the season's success is all chalked up to players playing out of their mind.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1rqxs96u said:
John63":1rqxs96u said:
Hawkpower":1rqxs96u said:

To me, this is too reactionary to what you saw tonight.

As I said, Pete deserves crticism for this game, but hes been rightfully lauded by EVERYONE all year and rightfully so.

He's got flaws, as all coaches do. But lets not speak of him all year for deserved coach of the year consideration and then turn around and pretend the season's success is all chalked up to players playing out of their mind.

Well, you could say that players don't play out of their mind without strong coaching.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":4k9zx7i4 said:
The Carolina gameplan was the blueprint. Carolina did the same thing, and the Hawks torched them for selling out to stop the run.

This game, they just continued to predictably run into a brick wall. When they did break the script (passing on early downs) they had success.

Pete & Schotty failed in this game. The End.
BINGO!