It's time to face it

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks are now an Offense dominated team, despite what Pete wants or says.

Let’s face it, we are no longer a defense-oriented team. Shootouts are where it’s at for us now, with the occasional great defensive play followed by a coverage lapse. Get used to the defense letting other teams move the ball at will and score way too often, and the D-line fail to get home, constantly arriving just after the ball leaves the QB's hands. On a side note, I'm trying to decide if our lack of success on defense is a player issue or a coaching issue.

But hey, we're 7-2. I'm gonna enjoy that this week and not worry over the supposed shortcomings.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1pnudqms said:
The Seahawks are now an Offense dominated team, despite what Pete wants or says.

Let’s face it, we are no longer a defense-oriented team. Shootouts are where it’s at for us now, with the occasional great defensive play followed by a coverage lapse. Get used to the defense letting other teams move the ball at will and score way too often, and the D-line fail to get home, constantly arriving just after the ball leaves the QB's hands. On a side note, I'm trying to decide if our lack of success on defense is a player issue or a coaching issue.

But hey, we're 7-2. I'm gonna enjoy that this week and not worry over the supposed shortcomings.

I would say we have had this capability for years, it only comes out when we start in a hole like today, Pete is going to work till his defense can control a game again, it's his identity.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3ansop90 said:
Jazzhawk":3ansop90 said:

I would say we have had this capability for years, it only comes out when we start in a hole like today, Pete is going to work till his defense can control a game again, it's his identity.
I agree. I just don't think it will be this year, and maybe not this combination of players/coaches. I'm still not sold on Norton as the DC/play-caller, and am ready for the Ansah experiment to end.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think the D staff will likely stay the same considering they are 7-2 but wouldn't be surprised if we have a 2017 coaching purge on that side of the ball. It just isn't acceptable what they are doing this year, especially when you look at all the rankings. Pete is all about defense, ball control, and the big play. Offense has to score 30 points to win games because of how awful the defense is.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":3j9ec0id said:
I think the D staff will likely stay the same considering they are 7-2 but wouldn't be surprised if we have a 2017 coaching purge on that side of the ball. It just isn't acceptable what they are doing this year, especially when you look at all the rankings. Pete is all about defense, ball control, and the big play. Offense has to score 30 points to win games because of how awful the defense is.
Ya, the staff most likely will stay the same during the season, but needs to be upgraded after the season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'd like to think that we can win it all with the shootout model, but I just don't see it happening.

Chawker

Reaction score
But, a great defense will win you the championship ever single time.

I do love me some Wilson to DK though! Or as I like to say, Dangeruss to Deadlest Katch. :0190l: :0190l:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":16y1tkf6 said:
I'd like to think that we can win it all with the shootout model, but I just don't see it happening.

It doesn't happen, just ask the Packers of 2010-2017.

We're now those Packers, completely and utterly dependent on our MVP caliber QB to stay healthy and play perfectly in order to eek out wins, even against bad teams.

So yeah, enjoy the ride, the offense is really fun to watch. But we ain't going anywhere with this defense and kicker.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8kjppfo7 said:
MontanaHawk05":8kjppfo7 said:

It doesn't happen, just ask the Packers of 2010-2017.

We're now those Packers, completely and utterly dependent on our MVP caliber QB to stay healthy and play perfectly in order to eek out wins, even against bad teams.

So yeah, enjoy the ride, the offense is really fun to watch. But we ain't going anywhere with this defense and kicker.

It's possible but it's really low probability. It wouldn't surprise me if this team loses five of the last seven. They could also win five of the last seven. The games look much harder and heroic offensive football will only go so far if you can't stop a good team much on defense.

I'm just hoping for a miraculous mid-season improvement on defense right now. It's wild with all the TDs but honestly I find the defensive grind games way more fun.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Our defense is terrible. The team needs both coaching and player upgrades in 2020.

A high powered offense is fun to watch but a great defense will always shut down a high powered offense. Just ask the Broncos and Payton Manning.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
truehawksfan":3523iij1 said:
Our defense is terrible. The team needs both coaching and player upgrades in 2020.

A high powered offense is fun to watch but a great defense will always shut down a high powered offense. Just ask the Broncos and Payton Manning.

Or Goff and the Rams last year.

Unless you luck out and only face offensive teams in the playoffs, you are going to struggle to make the SB. Sadly in the NFC, SF, NO, GB, MIN, CAR, all know how to play D.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our offense was more aggressive today because it needed to be. We've always played for the win rather than volume stats and adjusted our aggression based on game situation. If you want to see volume then you should root for the opposing offenses. Efficient low-volume Russ will return if our defense holds the other offense in check.

We gave Wilson the highest contract ever because we thought he was worth the investment. I love the incredibly lukewarm takes around here that we need him to play well. That was the bargain we made last off-season and it seems to be working out alright so far.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Green Bay NW for the win.

It won't get you to the SB.

But it will probably get us farther in the playoffs and we will have better playoff performances than any other time since our SB loss.

No matter how you spin it, it is an upgrade.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":19e12hsi said:

In addition to the offensive swing, we are better as a pass first team.

Now if only RW would be allowed to implement the no huddle we would be dominating.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":71qc0d2j said:
No matter how you spin it, it is an upgrade.

Over what?

It's frustrating to know that we FINALLY have a great offense with an MVP caliber QB and weapons all over the place, and our defense and kicker are hot garbage.

That's no way to win in the playoffs, especially in a conference stacked with very good defenses. NO, Packers, SF, Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles...........all the teams we might face in the playoffs have top 10 defenses.

So sure with Russell we can hopefully keep games close, but to win? Gotta have a good to great defense and a kicker you can trust to make that kick.........and brother, it's Defcon 5 in both of those areas.

Only reason we even won yesterday is we won the toss in overtime. TB wins the toss and this forum is on fire this morning, cause ain't no way in hell our defense would have stopped them.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We haven't won anything in the playoffs beyond a wildcard with the old plan of 'rely on the defense and barely use your best player'. At least not since the last SB loss, more than half a decade ago.

One or two wins in the playoffs that get you to the conference game or at least not look like hot garbage in a divisional game? That would be an upgrade.

Expecting to have everything on both sides of the ball is ridiculous. The QB eats your cap, at least the star QB does. So you cannot pay for top tier defensive players. You have to gamble with guys like Ansah. That did not work our for us. But it is still a better brand of football than the godawful football we were playing a few years ago, winning by barely scoring a TD in the 1st half, sometimes throwing for 30 yards in a half. That was crap football even when we won. And losing, often enough, because of the same reason - we were not scoring TD until the 4th.

This isn't a ticket to a SB, but it is a ticket to some entertaining football and doing some damage in the playoffs. Something we have not done in a long, long time.

D

DomeHawk

Definitely saw some flashes of creativity today but I am not going to put too much stock into a game at home that we should have won handily.

Talk to me after the 49'ers game.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":25gnbqnn said:
mistaowen":25gnbqnn said:
Ya, the staff most likely will stay the same during the season, but needs to be upgraded after the season.

Is it a staff problem, a talent problem, a scheme problem or a lack of understanding/executing the schemes? If it's the latter, then there's a chance they figure it out this year, but yeah, I'm not holding my breath. But when I look at the players. Shaq is doing well and Bobby and KJ are as good as you can find and Kendrick is a baller. Flowers looks great at times and others he gives too much room to receivers. Up the middle McDougald was great last year, but appears to be playing hurt this year and the rotating free safety has been a mess, hopefully Blair is the answer. I would expect the D line to be much better than they've shown. On paper they look pretty good, but they are not producing. That's the area that seems to me is about coaching. Who is the Dline coach?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":ehx2brrb said:
a talent problem?

Bingo.

Other than Clowney, Wagner and Griffin, this defense is devoid of talent......and even these three are suspect at times.

You bring up KJ and Kendricks. They're both good LB's, but not great LB's. That's what we've got, 2-3 good defensive players surrounded by mediocre to bad defensive players, especially on the line. I mean, we must be literally the EASIEST defense to gameplan for.

- double team and chip Clowney every play
- throw a bunch of 7-10 yard outs and slants because of how much cushion Flowers has to give so he doesn't get burnt
- wait for us to get frustrated and start blitzing unsuccessfully and take shots downfield
- rinse and repeat

Our #1 pick had six snaps yesterday. Six........and he's been healthy all season.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":17rh9kcu said:
StoneCold":17rh9kcu said:
a talent problem?

Bingo.

Other than Clowney, Wagner and Griffin, this defense is devoid of talent......and even these three are suspect at times.

You bring up KJ and Kendricks. They're both good LB's, but not great LB's. That's what we've got, 2-3 good defensive players surrounded by mediocre to bad defensive players, especially on the line. I mean, we must be literally the EASIEST defense to gameplan for.

- double team and chip Clowney every play
- throw a bunch of 7-10 yard outs and slants because of how much cushion Flowers has to give so he doesn't get burnt
- wait for us to get frustrated and start blitzing unsuccessfully and take shots downfield
- rinse and repeat

Our #1 pick had six snaps yesterday. Six........and he's been healthy all season.

^^^^Good post. As I mentioned in another post this defense is the result of trading down in the draft to get multiple players in an attempt to get some LOB-type players to fall through the cracks. it didn't happen and we are left with too many mediocre players.

You need playmakers to win in the NFL and we don't have enough of them currently.