Jaguars sign Red Bryant

chris98251

Reaction score
Good for Red, and yes I see the defense in Jax being built a lot like ours, they have a few pieces from here now to lead with Blackmon, Guy, and now Red as well. I could see a couple more with Thurmond and Maragos, they need that speed at safety to emulate what we do and Maragos is Earls back up.

drcool

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the sports radio guys have to say about this move. Makes total sense that Jacksonville would want Bryant and since Bradley knows him so well he can more easily see his value beyond the numbers he puts on the stat sheet. Other guys like Thurmond or Browner or even Tate would fit very well on the Jaguars team.

Everyone down here in Jacksonville seems to love Bradley and how he is building this team. The secondary is a good group of young players, they have a couple good young guys up front also. With a couple good years of free agency and drafts I could really see the Jags being the Seahawks of the AFC. Especially if they can get an impact player like Clowney or Watkins this draft and have a 2nd or 3rd round QB like McCarron or Mettenberger or Carr step in and start.

With so many former Seahawks potentially on the field I might just have to go to a Jaguars game this year. Of course not on a Sunday the Seahawks are playing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Such is the price of success.

In a word, NUTS!!!

Our loss is their gain, for us it's a big loss.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I've been a fan of the Jags since the days of Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith & Keenan McCardell. They're my second favorite team. I love this signing by them even though I wish Seattle could've kept Big Red around.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Throwdown":3gsf0ma0 said:
Could you imagine if the Jags somehow snagged Bennett and got Clowney in the draft? lord jesus I call that successful. I expect either or both Browner and Thurmond to end up in Jacksonville by the end of the offseason as well.

Thats be a top 3 d-line in the game instantly.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Until Jax gets a QB Big Red will see lots of playing time.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't know, Panthers, Rams,Texans, and how we play things out would all make a statement for that. I won't count us out, we find a way to get things done. It would be a huge blow to us but something we can possibly recover from based on how we are built. But yes they would be very very good and instantly be contenders in that division because of a defense that can apply pressure and bring the physical aspect. It would be about the pass coverage then. Oh and a offense. At least they could keep games closer.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I LOVE IT.

Back when the Seahawks were in the AFC, and when I first started following football in 1997 at age 9 is when I moved from Washington to Kansas.

And like everyone's favorite past-time I played Madden, well the Seahawks sucked at the time, so I wanted to follow a more local team as a "2nd team" and my best friend at the time was a huge Rams fans, so I rode those coattails until Re-Alignment put the Seahawks and Rams in the same division.

That's when I then chose to follow the Jacksonville Jaguars and their dominant 2000's defense as my 2nd team.

However, ever since I stopped playing Madden around 2007, a couple years after I graduated and moved out on my own, and away from friends, I stopped caring about 2nd teams, and started hitting up blogs/forums I strictly became a devoted Seahawks fans.

Yets, ever since Bradley became HC of the Jags and their teams has kind of became Seahawks East last year and now signing Bryant... I can't but help spark that fire of cheering for the Jags.

And I wouldn't even mind if the Jags pressed hard and went after Michael Bennett.

I would love for Clowney to go to the Texans. With Bennett/Bryant in Jax, Luck would get smashed in Divisonal games.

JMR

Reaction score
Fairly predictable turn of events, both this one particular move and the overall effort for Jax to be Seahawks Lite. They'll have to be considered favorites for pretty much of all our free agents, especially on that side of the ball.

Will be hard to replicate what we have built here just by signing a couple of our guys, but it sure will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of years if it continues and they make some smart(er) moves in the draft to build their team. In the same round we picked RW, they picked a punter....5 picks earlier than when Russell became a Hawk.

kearly

Reaction score
Sounds like Red Bryant was in demand. Back when we had Matt Flynn on a less than enticing contract, Schneider bluffed that paying Flynn to be a backup was in the plans, and it worked. He could have done the same trick here, if not for the roster bonus issue. The roster bonus pretty much tipped Seattle's hand, and I think cost us a draft pick because no one would believe that Seattle would keep Bryant in 2014.

Penman96

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":12hr50wr said:
there saying 4 year 17 million deal.

You just answered my question...thanks!

He was due 8 million next year in Seattle, I think a SB ring and a 4 year 17 million contract will round out his career nicely.

Good luck Red Bryant, great Seahawk player.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thank you Red for being a terrific addition to our Super Bowl team. We will miss you greatly...it is tough getting attached to these players and them see them leave. :(

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not surprised at all. Bradley will sign all our castoffs if possible. I wish he had an original thought in his brain but it is what it is. The NFL is a copycat league but this move is obvious to a 2 year old.

sutz

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3cyakqv2 said:
Not surprised at all. Bradley will sign all our castoffs if possible. I wish he had an original thought in his brain but it is what it is. The NFL is a copycat league but this move is obvious to a 2 year old.
Well, familiarity is important, too. I'm not sure I'd call Red a castoff as much as a cap casualty. He can still play, and Brad is familiar with his skillset and work effort. Most teams like to have a couple guys on the roster that have rings. They can help a lot with the intangibles of getting through a season and helping a team grow into a playoff caliber and eventually championship team. Just because we did it with no SB vets doesn't mean that teams don't value it.

You can call Brad anything you like, but I think this is a good signing for the Jags.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":14chrc3d said:
Sure hope we have an adequate replacement for the run Defense. I am sure there will be some drop-off because Red was amazing at it, but I don't think there's anyone currently on the roster who can even come close at this point. Maybe they will decide to go with a more balanced player at the position. Sacrifice a little run defense for a little more pass rush presence.
Ya don't think? Besides the ridiculous money we would have have had to pay him he is just too situational and limited.