Jamal Adams likely Out for Season

Lagartixa

Reaction score
An incentive based contract. I wouldn’t have been fearful of him testing free agency to set his value.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is it for him.
Too much dead money if the Seahawks cut him before 2024. They'll at least try and see if they can get some value out of him next season, because the cap situation is actually worse if they cut him next year than if they keep him on the roster.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I wonder if we could have a come to Jesus with him and attempt some sort of restructure? I don't think he is cooked, but he has gotta understand this is a business...
He does. And so do the Seahawks. And that's why he'll get a chance to perform in 2023. The cap situation would actually be worse without him than with him next season, so he'll be on the roster. In 2024, the Seahawks can actually get some cap relief by cutting him, even though there'll be over $14M in dead money at that point if they do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Would you change the way you cross a street after you've been hit by a car?

Yes, he could gear it down a little and still have heart. Little things like the "missed it by that much" drama when the ball hits you in the face mask is a bad look.

Gear it down, lol.

I can hear Pete now "listen Jamal, you're not the same player you were a couple years ago, so maybe tamp down on the excitement and intensity to a low roar alright cause there are fans out there that think you're a little to uppity for your own good..............now get on out there son!!"

C'mon man.

Seymour

Reaction score
Gear it down, lol.

I can hear Pete now "listen Jamal, you're not the same player you were a couple years ago, so maybe tamp down on the excitement and intensity to a low roar alright cause there are fans out there that think you're a little to uppity for your own good..............now get on out there son!!"

C'mon man.
He could listen to what his own body is telling him too you know, which you already admitted he is beginning to do. Or, I suppose he can go on acting like a chihuahua in a dog fight?

DK had to gear it down and has been a better player as a result.

"Two shoulder surgeries have occurred since Adams arrived in Seattle, and he underwent multiple finger operations this offseason. The LSU alum’s finger issues have left him no longer able to make a fist with his left hand, and Adams said his shoulder trouble had him playing “with one arm for damn near two years.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He could listen to what his own body is telling him too you know, which you already admitted he is beginning to do. Or, I suppose he can go on acting like a chihuahua in a dog fight?

Yes, that's how he's going to act, because it's the only way he's ever played. That's his game, and btw, that's what his teammates admire about him.

Sorry if it bothers you. But yeah, let's continue to kick the dude while he's down and nitpick on stupid crap that doesn't matter cause it bothers you personally.

Seymour

Reaction score
He does. And so do the Seahawks. And that's why he'll get a chance to perform in 2023. The cap situation would actually be worse without him than with him next season, so he'll be on the roster. In 2024, the Seahawks can actually get some cap relief by cutting him, even though there'll be over $14M in dead money at that point if they do it.
Not if he is cut post June 1st. If they do that they save $11m on cap and have just a $7M cap hit.

Attachments

• TEMP.jpg
    TEMP.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. As if these players are doing something to people personally. As if he got injured on purpose. And getting injured makes him fake.
Then some will double down and act like he was injury prone in NY. He flat out wasn't. Pete and John can't predict injuries. This one turned out to be a bad trade. They have also made a lot of very good trades.

Seymour

Reaction score
Exactly. As if these players are doing something to people personally. As if he got injured on purpose. And getting injured makes him fake.
Then some will double down and act like he was injury prone in NY. He flat out wasn't. Pete and John can't predict injuries. This one turned out to be a bad trade. They have also made a lot of very good trades.
No worries, I'm done with venting. Pancakes or waffles LOL??

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
For the record, I for one am not happy he's injured. I was hoping they could find a role for him that could carry the contract and draft loss weight. I never liked the trade from the get go because of the cost and the fact his strengths do not fit his position, and the position they fit he is not built for.
At this point. I think the team would be better off moving on without him.
Already said it, and THIS ^^^^^

Not happy he's hurt. Dissapointed. But movin on is gonna be absolutely necessary here.

Said - I liked his mojo. I loved when he played..... But reality is reality.

knownone

Reaction score
There is no reason to move on next season unless you think he's washed. Why? Because his cap hit is prorated. So regardless of when you cut him, the team is still paying 21 million for him over the next three seasons. So when you make a value judgment, you'd base it on cost. In other words, is Jamal worth 7m next season? Probably. So you keep him.

2023 is a different story.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
So he's just suppose to change the way he's wired and plays?

I think you guys are being unfair to Jamal. Why can't we just be empathetic to one of our player's that's gone through hell and back trying to get right in order to help his team, a team he obviously cares about a lot because all his teammates love him.
There’s a difference between roostering and playing hard.

As you noted he’s already changed his play style, but still acts like an insecure a-hole trying to prove something.

I have empathy for the likes of Kam or Cliff who would dominate you all day long, but didn’t feel the need to tell you about it before - during - after and worse…when they actually didn’t.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
It figures it ends this way. It was a horrible forced trade to start with. A position of less significance when hurting for pass rush, in a D that emphasized base pass rush with ball hawking back ends. Way to much compensation for a S in a trade. Then signing a huge contract for a guy that does not get TO's. Talk about hanging a weight around an organizational neck.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think he's done or at least I hope he retires.
I'm done hoping and waiting on often injured players.
Some are not made for the game and won't last long.
It's not their fault and I really get that but the game
does no favors to a brittle body.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If injuries were the only problem with this trade, it wouldn't have looked so bad. But even when healthy, we never found a role for Adams in Pete's defense. A year after the trade, Pete admitted that we still hadn't figured out how best to use him. I couldn't believe that we had traded what we did for a player that we didn't know how to utilize or didn't have a defined role for.

He's a liability in pass coverage, and he's not a ball hawk, having dropped countless interceptions, the latest occurring Monday night. He's a one trick pony, his only contributions coming in pass rushing/blitzing situations.

This is one of Pete's biggest boners, and one of the main reasons why I jumped off his bandwagon.
Exactly, this trade did it for me. Its not the injuries at all. Its trading 2 firsts and a third for a box safety when we could have had an actual elite safety in Minkah Fitzpatrick for a late first rounder. I personally am out on Pete because of this trade mainly (there are many other bad trades as well, Percy, Graham, Sheldon Richardson, but this one is truly awful). The constant bad moves in all our so called resets (Petes own term) leave a bad taste in my mouth too.

Gio

Reaction score
He may not be a ball hawk but if you surround him with a ball hawk cb or fs , he contribution will be huge. He gave us the pass rushing we were lacking. He looks like a Kam type of safety , not a good coverage though, but an extra pass rushing physical safety , that's all . Also his energy is on another level and we need his mentality in our locker room. He's a huge loss . Lets hope him speedy recovery

RiverDog

Reaction score
He may not be a ball hawk but if you surround him with a ball hawk cb or fs , he contribution will be huge. He gave us the pass rushing we were lacking. He looks like a Kam type of safety , not a good coverage though, but an extra pass rushing physical safety , that's all . Also his energy is on another level and we need his mentality in our locker room. He's a huge loss . Lets hope him speedy recovery
The problem with the type of pass rush Adams provides is that we have to sacrifice coverage to send him on a blitz, and you can only call those every once in a while. It has to be well disguised as if a QB reads it, they can mitigate it, use it against us. That's different than the pass rush provided by an edge rusher or interior DL.

The Adams trade looked great in the first few weeks we acquired him, but that was due to what at the time was a completely nonexistent pass rush and a horrid defensive team that was on pace for a historically bad statistical performance. Pete made the trade out of desperation, as he needed to do something if we were going to compete for the playoffs and ended up overpaying for him. Now that we have a comparatively decent pass rush, there isn't the need for him there once was.

I understand that Adams is a great guy and brings a lot of energy to the team. I have no bones about him personally. But those intangibles are bonuses, not something to build a defense on and not worth what we gave up.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Losing Adams' tenacity near LoS will be noticeable loss, but the gain is you will have more flexibility to disguise looks with both safeties now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Losing Adams' tenacity near LoS will be noticeable loss, but the gain is you will have more flexibility to disguise looks with both safeties now.
Plus Adams was a liability in pass coverage. I don't think the loss will be all that great.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Man, I know the injuries are just bad luck and not his fault, but two firsts, a third, and a player for a handful of games played? It just sucks. I'm sure for Jamal more than anyone.

Latest posts