Jermaine Kearse, future star?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2as9v9zd said:
I don't think Kearse makes Tate expendable.

I think he makes Rice expendable.

Agreed. I think Tate and Kearse actually compliment each other.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
BlueBlood":yysto8gt said:
ImTheScientist":yysto8gt said:
Kearse is a great role player. I don't see him as filling Rice's role.

And why is that? The guy is much more physical and gifted than Rice ever.

I'm sorry, but the combine numbers, evaluators of talent, and historical performance disagree with you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":trylxrcd said:
volsunghawk":trylxrcd said:
I don't think Kearse makes Tate expendable.

I think he makes Rice expendable.

Rice is toast anyway but Tate is a free agent and I think is going to cost more than hes worth TO THIS TEAM.
Oh hell yeah, we should just dump his PROVEN ass, and see if we can't find another speedster like Koren Robinson in the draft.
There's no such thing as a 'Can't Miss' players in the draft eh?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I don't know if he will ever become a star, but it seems like he is on his way to becoming a very solid WR for us.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
In a vacuum, Tate is definitely worth a decent contract. To this team? I just don't know. With elite guys coming due (Sherm, ET, Wilson), you have to be damn prudent with those mid-tier contracts. You can only use them on areas that absolutely have to be addressed. Bennett is borderline IMO (depends on J. Hill's development and who they like in the draft). I have even more trouble seeing room for Golden, though I'd love for him to be back.

Seattle has Percy and Kearse and can retain Doug on an RFA deal. They can use a 1st/2nd to find a legit WR1/WR2 in a deep draft class. They have Lockette as a depth WR and can probably find another among the UDFAs. Worst comes to worst, they can give $2-3m to a decent vet who wants to play in Seattle for a year like Rice or someone else.

CEHawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":36uggeat said:
BlueBlood":36uggeat said:
ImTheScientist":36uggeat said:
Kearse is a great role player. I don't see him as filling Rice's role.

And why is that? The guy is much more physical and gifted than Rice ever.

I'm sorry, but the combine numbers, evaluators of talent, and historical performance disagree with you.

What?! Go read them again, their combine stats are almost identical except Kearse has a faster shuttle and Rice has a higher vertical. And I need to remind you that the ONLY receiver on the team that was better than Kearse per target in their second year was Percy Harvin. No one else is even close except Baldwin in year one.

Rice has 7 seasons in the NFL and if you take away his best, single season within the Vikings he has averaged 326 yards per season..... That is what you get for you $9.7 million cap hit next year...

Kearse:
40 yard: best 4.58/ worst 4.74
3 Cone drill: best 7.03/ worst 7.19
20 Yard Shuttle best 4.12/ worst 4.48
Vertical jump best 34/ worst 30
Broad Jump best 119/ worst 109

Rice:
40 yard: best 4.51/ worst 4.76
3 Cone drill: best 7.09/ worst 7.22
20 Yard Shuttle best 4.34/ worst 4.40
Vertical jump best 39.5/ worst 30
Broad Jump best 119/ worst 110

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see Kearse get more targets and for up to Draft a 6'2+ Wr in round 1 or 2.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3jxrc141 said:
Jermaine is a body catcher. Until he can catch with his hands, he will not be a star. He is exactly where he should be, a no 4/5.

The Carolina Panthers would disagree with you. The only TD in that game was Kearse's spectacular catch with hands extended well above his head.

I don't know about future star, but we saw flashes last year. The more we see him playing, the better he seems to be getting. He didn't get full reps his first year, and I'm not sure about last year but he seems to be responding. He definately hasn't reached his ceiling yet either.

BlueOne

Reaction score
I like Tate and want him on this football team but not if his contract endangers Bennett. IMO we win the superbowl last year as well if we have Bennett, when Clemons went out we lost out pass rush and ultimately lost to the Falcons because of that. Bennett was our best defensive linemen this year and irreplaceable in this years FA sans Jared Allen if Allen wants to come here super cheap for a shot at a ring.

If we let Tate go though I think there's a good shot we go WR in the first round which isn't a terrible thing anyway I suppose. Harvin/Rice/Baldwin/Kearse/Draft pick can hold it down imo. If we lose Bennett this D-line is going to have problems generating a rush all year and there aren't any 1st/2nd round picks where we're drafting that can replace him at all.