Jermaine Kearse, future star?

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":bq2z1r1h said:
Kearse is a great role player. I don't see him as filling Rice's role.

And why is that? The guy is much more physical and gifted than Rice ever was and his speed is only a slight drop off. Hes shown the ability to really go up and make plays in traffic. IMO he is the most underrated receiver on the roster. Im expecting big things from him, personally.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3ew0ytug said:
ImTheScientist":3ew0ytug said:

And why is that? The guy is much more physical and gifted than Rice ever was and his speed is only a slight drop off. Hes shown the ability to really go up and make plays in traffic. IMO he is the most underrated receiver on the roster. Im expecting big things from him, personally.

Yeah right your talking like Rice was nothing. Sure he got hurt a few times but he was physical and made some of the toughest catchest last season as well as some in the earlier part of this season. You forget he took the hit in the chicago game and got knocked out for his team. So show some respect for the man he helped take seattle to where it is today.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I see us offering Tate 4-5 m over 3years. I suspect his number is around 6m. I see him moving on. It's not easy but we have a cap. I think we see Sidney back at a low number the problem is the total we would have tied up at receivers could be out of wack. We are a run first team.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Let Tate go..We need to keep the defense..Kearse can fill a role and we can pick up decent wr in the draft
or a 1 yr cheap vet in FA...

Shock2k

Reaction score
I remember right before OTA's I asked the question (after watching the RRR with him in it) if Kearse would be on the team by the time the season started. There wasn't one person that thought he would make the team.

You have to hand it to him. That guy worked his but off not only to make the team, but to contribute.

Really like this guy, and really like that he's home town. Seriously does anybody on this board not think about what it would be like to be on the field as a Seahawk. Great story.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2h96719t said:
Kearse showed some incredible hands and decent route running and speed this season. So that begs the question, is Kearse good enough to take Tates spot and make him expendable? What do you guys think?

That's not what "begs the question" means.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Kearse is a good receiver but I question if he has the ability to make the laid out horizontal catch against Indy I believe Sidney made. I am not diminishing his ability just that a healthy Sidney or similar was even better. I look at Kearse as a solid #3 or with a bit more growth a #2. We still need that tall nobody and why I hope a healthy Sidney comes back rather cheaply and splits time with Kearse.

ceej22

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":gbb61182 said:
That wouldn't be my choice.

Re-signing Tate should be our #2 priority in the off season behind re-signing Michael Bennett.

Tate's YAC, toughness/blocking and punt returning are appreciated and needed by this team in 2014 and beyond.

You mean behind getting Thomas and/or Sherman on an extension

irfuben32

Reaction score
Jermaine Kearse future servicable WR

I like the dude. he's a Husky, He's a local boy free agent success story (terrible freestyle rapper though)

but he is never going to be a star

niveky

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3qdjak5k said:
Let Tate go..We need to keep the defense..Kearse can fill a role and we can pick up decent wr in the draft
or a 1 yr cheap vet in FA...

i would love to keep tate but if the salary situation is so tight that it's a tate vs bennett scenario then i hate to say it but hope the team keeps bennett over tate in that situation. I know with this season many are probably still leary of Harvin, but even with Tate gone defenses will have to account for him and if he is on the field at the same time as baldwin and Kearse and whoever else they bring in at wr, then things are still going to be opened up for them a lot more with Harvin on the field than they were this year. If they can keep tate and bennett that is great but if that happens there are probably a couple of other players gone to make that happen.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3s3odk55 said:
BlueBlood":3s3odk55 said:
ImTheScientist":3s3odk55 said:

Yeah right your talking like Rice was nothing. Sure he got hurt a few times but he was physical and made some of the toughest catchest last season as well as some in the earlier part of this season. You forget he took the hit in the chicago game and got knocked out for his team. So show some respect for the man he helped take seattle to where it is today.

I do respect Rice but hes never been what one would call "physical" and he gets knocked off routes easily. If he gets around his guy then he can certainly create a decent deal of seperation. I didnt get forget that he got his brains knocked out on the field either.. Seems to be usual every year so how could I forget?

ZLDRider

Reaction score
I hope we keep him. But, I'm a bit biased as I graduated from Lakes High back in '75.

Go Lancers!

;-)

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2fe45gso said:
I do respect Rice but hes never been what one would call "physical" and he gets knocked off routes easily. If he gets around his guy then he can certainly create a decent deal of seperation. I didnt get forget that he got his brains knocked out on the field either.. Seems to be usual every year so how could I forget?

ill always remember how physical he was... the way he used his arm and hand movement to beg for flags after every time he was physically pushed around was top notch.

i pray kearse never fills rices spot, the doctors office is nothing to wish on guy who worked his tail off to make this team.

kearly

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":37pak7zy said:
ImTheScientist":37pak7zy said:

Agree.

Yup. Kearse may be a rock sold 6'2" WR, but his style of play is closer to Tate or Baldwin than Rice.

I hope Volsung is right about Seattle valuing Tate despite this "pedestrian" WR logjam. There have been whispers this year that Seattle's number for Tate is $3 million per. There have already been a couple WRs to sign extensions this offseason for $6 million per, and those guys are clearly below Tate's ability and production. I'd be okay with paying Tate that kind of money, but it would be very difficult to budget for it.

I am reasonably sure Tate has played his last snap here. The only way he stays is if the rest of the league undervalues him dramatically.

I think a year ago Tate was in the long term plans, but this season we've had a lot of players on 1 year deals perform fantastically, which has led to a lot of urgent in-house free agent signings that previously hadn't been planned for. That's going to take away a lot of money Seattle might have thought they had to spend for guys like Tate.

plyka

Reaction score
BlueBlood":16ishwrp said:
I really love Golden Tate dont get me wrong. So in the event we are able to re-sign him how much do you think it will take?

Also, Bennett was awesome but I have a feeling hes going to want to get paid hefty. Hes going to be 29 by the time the season starts next year so this hes going to want cash.

Im firm in thinking that there are certain players that MUST be kept and neither Tate nor Bennett make that list. Next man up.

One play which just stands out to me. I believe it was Demarius Thomas gets a WR screen. He ended up gaining like 6-8 yards. But what was special to me was the blur of lighting which caught him from the back/side. I thought to myself, damn Wagner is a beat. He absolutely like a bolt of lightening got to DT quick. But when the defender got up, I realized it was Bennet. To my shock, he isn't big like a defensive linement. He looks to have the same physical makeup of his brother who is a TE. This thought was remarkable to me. He is an incredible athlete at the defensive line. He plays at full speed. He is not tenative.

Basically Bennett to me is a #1 type of guy. A guy you need to keep. But there is no one, sans Russell Wilson, that you need to keep regardless of price. Wilson you need to keep any way possible. But everyone else, you need to keep as long as their price is fair. Bennett is one of those.

Tate on the other hand is not one of those. I don't know that you keep him even at a fair 4-5m price. I would rather spend 10m on Bennett than 5m on Tate. You only have so much money.

Kearse is already just as good as Tate. Baldwin and Percy are obviously better. Tate may be a casuality, despite how much I like him personality wise for this team. He is part of the core of this team personality wise, he seems to be a leader to me. So that may swing things.

plyka

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1exibo6s said:
onanygivensunday":1exibo6s said:
BlueBlood":1exibo6s said:
I really love Golden Tate dont get me wrong. So in the event we are able to re-sign him how much do you think it will take?

Also, Bennett was awesome but I have a feeling hes going to want to get paid hefty. Hes going to be 29 by the time the season starts next year so this hes going to want cash.

Im firm in thinking that there are certain players that MUST be kept and neither Tate nor Bennett make that list. Next man up.
Seattle would be doing really well to get Tate signed for a multi-year contract at $3.5M - $4.0M/year.

And Bennett definitely makes the list... he's #1.

I expect Pete and John will get him re-signed before March 8th.

Tate will likely want significantly more than that.. He was one of the most efficient receivers in the league and offers so much more. Despite low target numbers he was still near a thousand yards. Other teams will be able to read between the lines and a decent team will offer him something that we wont be able to come close enough to land him.

As for Bennett, his value and stock has risen significantly. I believe the entire front 4 benefited greatly by having our secondary locking teams down thus giving them time to rush the quarterback. If signing Bennett is risk to lose anyone in the secondary I say no way.

With all due respect, I think it's the opposite for our team. As was shown last year when we didn't have Bennett and the other dlinemen. I think this defense works in tandem. The DBs play incredibly aggressive football with the idea that the front 4 will get to the QB within 4 seconds. That's what they have to do --cover for 4 seconds. Kind of like a bull rider that's shooting for the 8 second mark.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Coming off his "star" performance in the Super Bowl, I want to keep Kearse for another five years. When Drafted, I was very skeptical based on his performance at the U of W. However, he has made me a believer. We need his hands on this team.

Tokadub

Reaction score
If anything I feel like Kearse is being groomed to take the place of Sidney Rice. I don't think it would be wise to lose any of our other receivers at this point.

I'm surprised so many are saying Tate will be gone, you guys do realize he had almost identical receiving yards as our #1 Baldwin right? I think we would of lost more games this season if you replaced Tate with the typical starting NFL receiver. Tate came up huge for us this season in numerous games.

I disagree with the rather pay player X 10 million than Tate 5 million. Realistically I don't think we should be upgrading anyone to 10+ million other than Russell Wilson when the time comes. We really need to sign a bunch of guys in the 3-6 million range and tear it up in the draft if we want to continue a dynasty. We just have too much talent we need to keep, can't throw around big 10 million dollar contracts in my opinion.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1vuo4y32 said:
BlueBlood":1vuo4y32 said:
volsunghawk":1vuo4y32 said:
I don't think Kearse makes Tate expendable.

I think he makes Rice expendable.

Rice is toast anyway but Tate is a free agent and I think is going to cost more than hes worth TO THIS TEAM.

I don't agree. I think Tate - while he will have games where he disappears - is very valuable to the Seahawks.

Now, the WR position as a whole may not be as valued on this team as it is in places like Denver, but Tate's YAC and sure-handedness are quite valuable. Not to mention that he and Wilson have very good chemistry together, and I think he and Baldwin are outstanding on finding ways to come back to open spots when Wilson scrambles.

I would hate to see him go because he's so elusive, dynamic, muti-talented and durable. I understand where he might be viewed as less valuable in our system though. We waste some of his talent because our short-to-intermediate passing game is virtually non-existent. I would love to see what our O looks like with Tate and Harvin on the field at the same time for more than just one game. No way the safeties could cheat to Tate or Baldwin with Percy on the field. Hopefully we find a way to keep Tate with us, but I wouldn't be shocked if he left. We might just luck out if the teams that are hurting for wide receivers get all hung up on getting somebody with 'prototypical' size. His stat's aren't eye-popping unless you look at RAC, so I guess we just cross our fingers and hope that suitors will only offer B/U WR money.