Jerry Angelo ranks Wilson 9th

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
brimsalabim":lbp8dkao said:
That's true Mizzou but my point was really that Manzel is under six feet and almost 20 lbs lighter than Russell is but Larry Angelo apparently doesn't believe his size will limit him at the NFL level.
Pretty sure Manzel is 6 feet tall but regardless I agree that Angelo is senile.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We will find out about Johnny football at the combine but an old friend of mine had him in class last year said he was a shade under six feet and maybe 200 Lbs soaking wet. The point is he isn't so different from Russell physically yet this "expert" sees him completely different.

davidonmi

Reaction score
in what universe is Cam Newton better than Brees, Rivers, and Luck. Good grief

Anthony!

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1omzb6n3 said:
"His size and ARM Tallent limit him" ???? Really? Screw this clueless Larry!

Yeah that pretty much says what he thinks, its all about size not ability to him.

kearly

Reaction score
Is there a better test of QB eval competency than Russell Wilson's arm? If you think he has a weak arm, you don't know shit about quarterbacks. Former GM or not, I don't care. It blows my mind that there are (former) executives out there who are unfamiliar with the concept of touch passes.

I wonder where Wilson would rank on the Saints with that interior pass protection they have and the games top TE on an offense that is pass first. Where would Drew Brees rank on an offense that badly struggles to maintain a pocket and only calls 25 pass plays a game?

What's interesting to me about his list is that Angelo does not show any obvious signs of bias towards new thinking. He has new-breed QB Cam Newton way too high, and the relatively old fashioned Nick Foles way way WAY too low. He has RG3 very low without citing injuries. He has Glennon extremely low and his reasoning sounds like he was watching a different QB.

This ranking is a reminder that every GM has his blind spots. I've seen a few draft boards after the fact and even JS is privvy to some player evaluations that make you shake your head and wonder what the hell he was thinking. Though JS is rightly regarded as a genius for spending a 3rd rounder for Russell Wilson, he's also the same guy who spent the equivalent of two 3rd rounders for Charlie Whitehurst. Nobody is perfect and I think every evaluator wants to stand out from the crowd at least a little.

kearly

Reaction score
davidonmi":acb2pdhk said:
in what universe is Cam Newton better than Brees, Rivers, and Luck. Good grief

It's really sad that he would have Newton or Luck anywhere close to Brees or Rivers (assuming we forget about the seasons Rivers had in 2011 and 2012).

With that said, I actually think Newton and Luck are very similar QBs. Newton should be ranked just a little higher of the two, IMO. His passing efficiency numbers are just a little better, but more importantly his best receiver is close to a league average player currently. Imagine if he had Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Dwayne Allen, and played on very fast turf. Indoors.

I think Eli Manning had better watch out. Luck is threatening his title for most over-rated QB of the 21st century. At least Eli is amazing in the playoffs.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I can see where Russell's arms might limit him.

But once he gets his OVERTHROWS in check, he's going to be the most dangerous QB in the NFL.

mikehi301

Reaction score
Luck only had ty . Wayne and Allen were out almost all year, cam had steve smith and a very good defense . Wilson to me is a very good down the field thrower , the short game is where he seems to over throw which might be due to his height .

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
This dude was not a good GM hence his firing. I take his opinion with a grain of salt.

getnasty

Reaction score
Russell will never be seen as a top 5 QB in the league with our style of play. He may never throw for 5000 yards and 40 touchdowns but nobody fits what we do better then him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson has a higher completion percentage then all those guys in a offense that throws the ball down the field in lower percentage plays. I think fans over think his shortcomings because we watch and analyze every play. Accuracy is way down the list of concerns for Wilson. He is miles ahead of luck and Newton in that regard and much closer in arm strength than people realize. Again Diller who seems to hate the Hawks told Cowherd he has top 5 arm talent right now.

lukerguy

Reaction score
To be honest, the only guys I put ahead of him on my list that aren't on his list are Rivers and Ben. I think Luck is a little low too. I'd probably put him at 7th on my list. Wilson is my favorite qb of all time, but he's not top 5 yet, he's just not.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":vf0ljssc said:
"His size and ARM Tallent limit him" ???? Really? Screw this clueless Larry!

Yeah he loses credibility with the arm Talent comment. Wilson has maybe a A or A- in arm Talent, Kaep may be an A/A+. But Kaep is vastly overrated as well. He's not nearly the sophisticated QB as Wilson is. He relies way too much on his athleticism. He reminds me of a bigger Michael Vick, much more comfortable taking off and running than scanning the field for his 3-4 options.

Cam Newton in the "elite" Category is unbelievable and of course the media darling Luck (who I like a lot) who get's the benefit of the doubt on everything. I don't think his "arm talent" is any better than Wilsons. Infact in the draft there was talk about Luck having an above average/good arm, now all of a sudden he's got "elite arm talent."

theascension

Reaction score
Kaep is a tad bit better than Vick at recognizing situations but it's true he relies way too much on his raw talent and speed. Cam Newton does as well. Cam's been in the league 3 years now and he still doesn't seem to understand the game much better. I know some SF fans that are still pretty upset Alex Smith is gone. Sure he's not as talented arm strength or running wise but backed by that top 5 defense, who knows they could have been in the super bowl this year. I think SF is going to place 3rd after Arizona next year because of Kaep.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think Kap has an A+ arm. He's strong, but I've never seen him throw a pass with any touch whatsoever. Everything he throws is a bullet. I think it's right to consider that a physical limitation at this point.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
He got lazy on the "size" thing and just parrotted the old common Wisdom on Wilson. And "arm talent limits him"--you're on the crack pipe, son.