Jerry Angelo ranks Wilson 9th

RiverDog

Reaction score
brimsalabim":qbcomq8c said:
"His size and ARM Tallent limit him" ???? Really? Screw this clueless Larry!

Agreed. That statement disqualified him as being a credible analyst. Russell doesn't have a John Elway type elephant gun arm, but it's far from being a limiting factor in his ability to make every pass.

The other physical attribute about Russell that often gets overlooked is his meat hooks. The guy has abnormally large hands, which may help account for his lack of fumbling. In contrast, Dave Krieg had pixie hands, and we all know about his ability to protect the rock.

JMR

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":15m2q73o said:
BC-Hawk":15m2q73o said:
The only guys I'd rank ahead of Russ would be Rodgers, Peyton, Brady and Brees.
I agree also Manzel is actually shorter, lighter and has smaller hands then Wilson. I am sensing actual racism at play in this article/opinion.

Manziel is over an inch taller, weighed more at the combine. Hands are a tad smaller than RW's.

I think Wilson's success needs to be credited for why Manziel can be talked about as a top prospect. I don't think it has anything to do with racism. Had RW done nothing, I say the opinion on Manziel's NFL stock would be a lot less favorable.

gargantual

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1n2tw0mc said:
BC-Hawk":1n2tw0mc said:
I agree also Manzel is actually shorter, lighter and has smaller hands then Wilson. I am sensing actual racism at play in this article/opinion.
Other than laziness in his analysis (just following the old group-think), what else could it be? Other than message board morons who base everything on flashy fantasy football friendly stats, one only has to look at the stats that REALLY matter - TD/INT ratio and WINS - to see the obvious truth about who is better.

Racism indeed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JMR":1loxpaot said:
MizzouHawkGal":1loxpaot said:
BC-Hawk":1loxpaot said:

Manziel is over an inch taller, weighed more at the combine. Hands are a tad smaller than RW's.

I think Wilson's success needs to be credited for why Manziel can be talked about as a top prospect. I don't think it has anything to do with racism. Had RW done nothing, I say the opinion on Manziel's NFL stock would be a lot less favorable.
Look again he measured 4/8ths inches shorter and around 5lbs lighter.

JMR

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1h55v9ei said:
JMR":1h55v9ei said:
MizzouHawkGal":1h55v9ei said:
BC-Hawk":1h55v9ei said:

Look again he measured 4/8ths inches shorter and around 5lbs lighter.

Not according to NFL.com.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe they adjusted for the hairdo and the roll of silver dollars in Johnny Footballs pockets but these guys appear to be dad gum close in size and stature. I guess I thought Russ was heavier because of his stiff arm.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Yeah they say 511' 3/4 207 compared to Wilson being 5'11" 7/8 205. His arm isn't as good and his mental game is light years behind Wilson yet he's better? Ok whatever. It's nearly as silly as the argument about Luck being better than Wilson both in college and the NFL currently.

Pretty funny that his first day measurements have him around a 1/4 inch shorter and 4-5 lbs lighter so which is it?

JMR

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1qiu431i said:
Yeah they say 511' 3/4 207 compared to Wilson being 5'11" 7/8 205. His arm isn't as good and his mental game is light years behind Wilson yet he's better? Ok whatever. It's nearly as silly as the argument about Luck being better than Wilson both in college and the NFL currently.

5'10 & 5/8" is the height I most commonly see listed for RW, but NFL.com's combine page said he was 5'11". Manziel came it 3/4" over that. Manziel weighed 207, Russell 204. This according to NFL.com.

They are very close, but Manziel is a shade taller and a tad heavier, at least at the combine. Not an argument, just how they measured. Russell looks thicker and appears put together a bit better, however.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
My mistake either way they're so close physically that it doesn't matter. Fact is he is far less mature mentally and that is and will be a huge issue unless he lands in the perfect situation and it doesn't look like Houston is very interested currently but things can change.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

BlueBlood

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1npqy42q said:
"His size and ARM Tallent limit him" ???? Really? Screw this clueless Larry!

My sentiments exactly. We all know if Wilson was 6'4 he'd be considered a top 5 quarterback. Using arm strength and hight is absurd at best.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
All I know is what I see and I see a QB in RW that just gets the job done. For any situation his arm has been good enough to make defenses pay for committing to shut down the run. This offense, with his arm, has just killed defenses that thought RW was limited in his passing game. It just makes me laugh at these guys that were proven wrong about his height being a problem so now they need something else to bitch about. They will never let go of the thought that they are always right.

I thought I would never say this about any Hawk QB but I would not trade RW for any other QB, none. Just think about the defenses he has beaten. I know it's not a one man show but he has never wilted and given up. He has never had the look in his eyes that Manning did during the Super Bowl.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
v1rotv2":17a6p1ua said:
All I know is what I see and I see a QB in RW that just gets the job done. For any situation his arm has been good enough to make defenses pay for committing to shut down the run. This offense, with his arm, has just killed defenses that thought RW was limited in his passing game. It just makes me laugh at these guys that were proven wrong about his height being a problem so now they need something else to bitch about. They will never let go of the thought that they are always right.

I thought I would never say this about any Hawk QB but I would not trade RW for any other QB, none. Just think about the defenses he has beaten. I know it's not a one man show but he has never wilted and given up. He has never had the look in his eyes that Manning did during the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't trade Russell for anyone.... He's our guy NOBODY got it better than us..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":q618jhqr said:
And here I thought Casserly was clueless. Is this loser being serious?
He reminds me a lot of Casserly minus the bad rug.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Russ has a combination of skills that set him in the top few QBs in the league right now. I'd take his ability to scramble over the old guard, and his arm (accuracy, touch, strengh), leadership, and decision-making over any of the younger guys. Will Manziel ever match RW? Only if he's got the right supporting cast and a coach who can keep him from getting destroyed (see RGIII)

As mentioned above, I also am fascinated by how few points RW has lost by in the few games we came up short. While RW has more wins in his first 2 seasons than anyone (and thus less losses), I'm curious about the total number of points this team lost by in these past two seasons. I'd bet RW's close to the top, if not THE top, of that list. He refuses to let games get out of hand. And I don't think this is just RW's skill; it's Pete's system and RW's effeciency is what makes it possible.
It's a match made in the world of fantasy football that has become reality.

Go Hawks!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
This is so totally bogus! What that Angelo Dundee know about football anyway? Further, he passed away two years ago, so this is just creepy! Oh, 'Jerry Angelo' you say? "Potato, potawto" :snack:

MrCarey

Reaction score
Wartooth":9tjyag3i said:
So 3 guys ahead of Russell don't have a ring...And somehow their better?
Key words in the headline is 'Former GM'.

Dan Marino doesn't have a ring and he is WAY better than Russell. Don't use that argument, it makes you lose credibility. I agree that there are a certain few individuals ahead of him that shouldn't be there (Luck, Newton, Big Ben), but the ring argument means jack. As far as QB goes, Rivers is absolutely better than Russell (right now), and not having a ring doesn't change that.

The best way to debunk your point will always be this: Dilfer is not better than Marino. Dilfer is not better than Russell Wilson. Dilfer is not better than the top 20ish on this list. Dilfer has a ring as a starter.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
MrCarey":3dj7idhl said:
Wartooth":3dj7idhl said:
So 3 guys ahead of Russell don't have a ring...And somehow their better?
Key words in the headline is 'Former GM'.

Dan Marino doesn't have a ring and he is WAY better than Russell. Don't use that argument, it makes you lose credibility. I agree that there are a certain few individuals ahead of him that shouldn't be there (Luck, Newton, Big Ben), but the ring argument means jack. As far as QB goes, Rivers is absolutely better than Russell (right now), and not having a ring doesn't change that.

The best way to debunk your point will always be this: Dilfer is not better than Marino. Dilfer is not better than Russell Wilson. Dilfer is not better than the top 20ish on this list. Dilfer has a ring as a starter.

How original.

JMR

Reaction score
No way is Rivers better than RW. Rivers pulled a good season out of nowhere, but he hasn't been good in a while.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
JMR":ijp1xuhr said:
MizzouHawkGal":ijp1xuhr said:
BC-Hawk":ijp1xuhr said:

Manziel was almost an inch taller not over an inch taller. He measured 5'11" 5/8. RW was 5'10" 7/8. RW was also faster and had higher hops. And RW never had a Mike Evans.

Latest posts