Jerry Angelo ranks Wilson 9th

HansGruber

Reaction score
Trrrroy":x33clgit said:
Wartooth":x33clgit said:
So 3 guys ahead of Russell don't have a ring...And somehow their better?
Key words in the headline is 'Former GM'.

The ring argument doesn't hold water. Marino doesn't have a ring, Flacco does.

Strawman and FAIL.

If you're trying to disprove the statement "Russell is better than the 3 QBs listed above him because he has won a Superbowl", then you need to directly counter that statement - not throw in some garbage cliche comparison of Flacco and Marino. Neither of those QBs are in the discussion.

Ultimately, when QBs are compared, rings DO matter. You may not personally agree with that, but that doesn't make it untrue. Marino is never argued as the GOAT because when it comes down to it, the ability to win Superbowls is ultimately what separates the great from the greatest. Nobody will ever argue Marino was greater than Montana because Montana beat him head-to-head in the Superbowl, and then went on to win 3 more (every time he was there). Peyton Manning is a better QB than Dan Marino because he has a ring while Marino doesn't.

You can argue about "it's a team game" all you want. It doesn't change anything. Ultimately, the job of a QB is to win championships. Period. Tom Brady and Joe Montana will always rank higher than Peyton Manning and Dan Marino because they are winners. History remembers winners.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Also, Russell Wilson was a HUGE factor in the Superbowl win (and should have been MVP).

Denver was able to stop Marshawn Lynch, keeping him to only 30 yards, challenging Russell Wilson to beat them with his arm. Which he did.

What nobody is talking about (for some unknown reason) is that Russell Wilson was able to keep every single drive alive and eat up clock, all game long. He chewed up 12 minutes of the first quarter by running around the field, throwing guys open, and converting on 3rd Downs at every opportunity. Some of those 3rd Down conversions were simply incredible - the pass to Tate along the sideline and the laser to Baldwin are two good examples. Seattle ran 22 plays in the first quarter alone, while Denver only ran 6.

Russell Wilson is the reason we went into the second quarter with an 8-0 lead and Denver desperately trying to score while watching the clock run down. You could see the frustration on the Denver sideline as they sat there all game watching Russell just work the clock and refuse to turn the ball over. He was incredible.

As to whether he is a game manager, I don't care. He won a championship in his second season. He has more wins in his first two seasons than any QB in history. And most of all, Wilson just makes it happen.

I think it's awesome that other fans, teams and analysts underrate the kid. He'll prove them wrong. But in the meantime, it's awesome that we're still flying under the radar with the best young QB in the game.

randomation

Reaction score
getnasty":14huqi0x said:
Russell will never be seen as a top 5 QB in the league with our style of play. He may never throw for 5000 yards and 40 touchdowns but nobody fits what we do better then him.

He might after he wins 5 super bowls :p

kearly

Reaction score
mikehi301":32zckq9t said:
Luck only had ty . Wayne and Allen were out almost all year, cam had steve smith and a very good defense . Wilson to me is a very good down the field thrower , the short game is where he seems to over throw which might be due to his height .

True, but when he lost Wayne his performance last season tanked. Even without Wayne and Allen he's still sitting pretty with Hilton compared to an old Steve Smith.

In fairness to Luck, his defense wasn't the best and his run game sucked balls. Luck had to throw in a lot of obvious passing situations. Though surprisingly, he did very well in those. It was on the lower difficulty passing plays that he struggled.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Luck better win something one day or no one will give two shits what he has or doesn't have.

He is Carson Palmer with hype

HansGruber

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":33dlpagy said:
Luck better win something one day or no one will give two shits what he has or doesn't have.

This.

I'm sick of hearing about Andy Luck. He's choked twice in the playoffs, both times throwing critical INTs that lost the game for his team. Enough already.

He really is the next Peyton Manning. All regular season hype and postseason choke. Like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck is really really awesome at throwing game-changing INTs at the exact wrong time in the postseason. I guess that is a skill?

randomation

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2fupcbm6 said:

Palmer before he got injured was better then luck straight up didn't give the ball away like luck does.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HansGruber":2c5f7uob said:
Also, Russell Wilson was a HUGE factor in the Superbowl win (and should have been MVP).

Denver was able to stop Marshawn Lynch, keeping him to only 30 yards, challenging Russell Wilson to beat them with his arm. Which he did.

What nobody is talking about (for some unknown reason) is that Russell Wilson was able to keep every single drive alive and eat up clock, all game long. He chewed up 12 minutes of the first quarter by running around the field, throwing guys open, and converting on 3rd Downs at every opportunity. Some of those 3rd Down conversions were simply incredible - the pass to Tate along the sideline and the laser to Baldwin are two good examples. Seattle ran 22 plays in the first quarter alone, while Denver only ran 6.

Russell Wilson is the reason we went into the second quarter with an 8-0 lead and Denver desperately trying to score while watching the clock run down. You could see the frustration on the Denver sideline as they sat there all game watching Russell just work the clock and refuse to turn the ball over. He was incredible.

As to whether he is a game manager, I don't care. He won a championship in his second season. He has more wins in his first two seasons than any QB in history. And most of all, Wilson just makes it happen.

I think it's awesome that other fans, teams and analysts underrate the kid. He'll prove them wrong. But in the meantime, it's awesome that we're still flying under the radar with the best young QB in the game.

Im so glad you brought this up. I brought this point up to every board I talked about the game on. Ya Wilson didnt have godly stats in the first half but he only had 3 drives in the entire first half and he put the offense in position to score a FG, FG and TD in those 3 possessions as well as give the defense good rest and keeping manning off the field as much as possible. Lynch was also almost a non factor the whole game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
brimsalabim":30o266tq said:
We will find out about Johnny football at the combine but an old friend of mine had him in class last year said he was a shade under six feet and maybe 200 Lbs soaking wet. The point is he isn't so different from Russell physically yet this "expert" sees him completely different.

ok Johnny has just measured 5' 11" at the combine. So in separate articles Angelo dissed RW for being too short and asserted that similar height but lesser weighing Johnny football should be the number one pick in the NFL draft.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HansGruber":kit4jasd said:
Hawk Strap":kit4jasd said:

This.

I'm sick of hearing about Andy Luck. He's choked twice in the playoffs, both times throwing critical INTs that lost the game for his team. Enough already.

He really is the next Peyton Manning. All regular season hype and postseason choke. Like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck is really really awesome at throwing game-changing INTs at the exact wrong time in the postseason. I guess that is a skill?

Except Luck isnt even a good regular season QB. Is 46 TDs and 27 ints in the regular season good?

hawkfansince76

Reaction score
BC-Hawk has RW behind only Rogers, Peyton, Brady and Brees, yet in his 2 seasons, is he not 5-0 in head to head competition? Nuff said.
GO HAWKS!

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfansince76":2l9hl8fd said:
BC-Hawk has RW behind only Rogers, Peyton, Brady and Brees, yet in his 2 seasons, is he not 5-0 in head to head competition? Nuff said.
GO HAWKS!

Hey I love Russell as much as the next person but you gotta give credit where credit is due, it's awesome that he's 5-0 against them but until Russ wins NFL MVP and wins multiple Super Bowls like Brady I think it's too early to say that he's the best QB in the league. However, to be thought of so highly after just his second season is a pretty incredible accomplishment and with his insane work ethic he'll only get better.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
About Jerry Angelo

Jerry Angelo was general manager of the Chicago Bears from 2001-2012.

hawkfansince76

Reaction score
BC, I had no disrespect of Brady, Brees et al, I just pointed out what I find to be an interesting fact. At this point in time, given his limited body of work compared to four of the best QBs of their time, RW is on a trajectory to equal or surpass these future HOFers. Granted, though he may never have gaudy passing yardage stats or be considered among the elite in the media circles, RW has an intangible that transcends mere statistics. He has an incredible will to win.
In all his time as the Hawks starting QB, they have never lost a game by more than 7 points. Now granted, the Hawks have an incredible, possibly all time D, but RW has brought the team back from deficits with more success than failure.
I guess that I am a little less that objective when it comes to RW, he gave me the one thing I have waited all of these 38 years for, a SB championship. That being said, I eagerly look forward see how Russ solidifies his legacy, and fully expect the media to eventually give him his just due.
Only time will tell.
GO HAWKS!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
randomation":1hncm40q said:
getnasty":1hncm40q said:
Russell will never be seen as a top 5 QB in the league with our style of play. He may never throw for 5000 yards and 40 touchdowns but nobody fits what we do better then him.

He might after he wins 5 super bowls :p
Don't laugh because he has a legitimate shot at it especially given it's among his stated goals. And he seems to achieve whatever goal he sets by hook or by crook.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":13f30ipu said:
The only guys I'd rank ahead of Russ would be Rodgers, Peyton, Brady and Brees.
I agree, also Manziel is actually shorter, lighter and has smaller hands then Wilson. I am sensing actual racism at play in this article/opinion.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":5wqanaxw said:
The only guys I'd rank ahead of Russ would be Rodgers, Peyton, Brady and Brees.
I agree also Manzel is actually shorter, lighter and has smaller hands then Wilson. I am sensing actual racism at play in this article/opinion.

Latest posts