Jimmy G

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":68m2ne0b said:
Jimmy had a very Trent Dilferesque run this year. Too bad the 49ers weren't the 2000 Ravens and he wasn't playing Kerry Collins in the Super Bowl. Otherwise he'd be a Super Bowl winner too.

Go back and look at Dilfer's line the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl. That Ravens team might've gone undefeated with just competent QB play. Dilfer was utter garbage, and only took over the job because Tony Banks was worse. Jimmy G, while not great, is better than Dilfer was.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This may be controversial...

But JG needs more time to be fully judged. He's not really played many games, in reality.

He didn't deserve the hype. But his performances shouldn't be judged on that hype either.

I think next year is a big year for him. He will need to show mote growth or things may start to turn on him.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2p812xe2 said:

But JG needs more time to be fully judged. He's not really played many games, in reality.

He didn't deserve the hype. But his performances shouldn't be judged on that hype either.

I think next year is a big year for him. He will need to show mote growth or things may start to turn on him.

I agree completely; and I also agree with what someone else said. I don't see Jimmy G ever being an "elite" QB, but a very good QB is entirely possible, perhaps even a few pro bowls. I don't think he has the late game nerves needed to be very clutch, but if he's mentored right?

Someone mentioned Hasselbeck and IDK if anyone is aware of this, but at the time he left the Seahawks, and finished his career wherever he did, he was top twenty all time in many stat categories. I think Hasselbeck could have been even better than he was, had he been brough into it in another situation, but he was pretty good. Maybe not "elite" but nobody can deny the Walrus did a hellof a job making a starter out of him.

I hate to admit it, but the more I see of him, the more I worry how good he can be. I'm more on the Jimmy G bandwagon now than I was when he beat us last. I do think if handled correctly he could be a thorn in our side for years. Let's hope the Niners blow it and he moves on if he is gonna become a very good QB. I think other than late game nerves, he has the ingredients, I mean can anyone really argue that it's impossible he imroves a lot, based on what he's accomplished so far? :141847_bnono:

whidbeast

Reaction score
He's Jared Goff. He has a solid O-line and will shred you if he's protected but falls apart under pressure and is not so clutch.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just for the record...

Since Niner fans are being accused of jumping ship on Jimmy G, I'm not.

Did he play well in the SB? For stretches? Yes. Did he make the plays he needed to make in the end? No.

I agree with Si. I've been saying all along that this was Jimmys first full year as a starter. NEXT year is the big year. It was Ryans second year in that system when he exploded.

I don't expect Ryan-like improvement, but a full off-season with no rehab? Getting another weapn at WR (I'm guessing Sanders will be elsewhere...they like Hurd, Pettis probably be traded/released, and Goodwin will be released.

They won't leave him with only Samuel for next year.

I'm not going to excuse him for not playing well in the SB, but I'm also not gonna crucify him when they were basically 6 minutes from a title.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":ej70fi4l said:
Uncle Si":ej70fi4l said:

I agree completely; and I also agree with what someone else said. I don't see Jimmy G ever being an "elite" QB, but a very good QB is entirely possible, perhaps even a few pro bowls. I don't think he has the late game nerves needed to be very clutch, but if he's mentored right?

Someone mentioned Hasselbeck and IDK if anyone is aware of this, but at the time he left the Seahawks, and finished his career wherever he did, he was top twenty all time in many stat categories. I think Hasselbeck could have been even better than he was, had he been brough into it in another situation, but he was pretty good. Maybe not "elite" but nobody can deny the Walrus did a hellof a job making a starter out of him.

I hate to admit it, but the more I see of him, the more I worry how good he can be. I'm more on the Jimmy G bandwagon now than I was when he beat us last. I do think if handled correctly he could be a thorn in our side for years. Let's hope the Niners blow it and he moves on if he is gonna become a very good QB. I think other than late game nerves, he has the ingredients, I mean can anyone really argue that it's impossible he imroves a lot, based on what he's accomplished so far? :141847_bnono:

I agree with Si and Marvin. More time to determine whether he can get better decision making when in more harsh situations.

Hass finished off where there was no Luck available. :twisted:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Agree with all you guys. He is capable of winning a title if he developes. Unlikely he'll ever put a team on his back in the playoffs tho

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Everyone trying to make out he's some kind of rookie, hes not being paid like that. He plays scared and pads his stats with YAC. I hope he stays at the whiners for a long time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Any QB is capable of winning a title if they develop enough. Dude's ridden the pine for several Super Bowls and started in one, and he fell apart at the end last Sunday like he just entered the NFL.

I'm far from convinced he'll ever be a clutch QB; but time will tell.

xray

Reaction score
In fairness to all...the defense didn't defend a 10 pt lead either .

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jjnco3y said:
Just for the record...

Since Niner fans are being accused of jumping ship on Jimmy G, I'm not.

Did he play well in the SB? For stretches? Yes. Did he make the plays he needed to make in the end? No.

I agree with Si. I've been saying all along that this was Jimmys first full year as a starter. NEXT year is the big year. It was Ryans second year in that system when he exploded.

I don't expect Ryan-like improvement, but a full off-season with no rehab? Getting another weapn at WR (I'm guessing Sanders will be elsewhere...they like Hurd, Pettis probably be traded/released, and Goodwin will be released.

They won't leave him with only Samuel for next year.

I'm not going to excuse him for not playing well in the SB, but I'm also not gonna crucify him when they were basically 6 minutes from a title.
The thing is, I don't think Jimmy played well at all in the SB. That game was the perfect embodiment of what I've been saying all season. Jimmy puts up good numbers when the screen game and play action are working. The moment he has to drop back and pass, he's average at best. He's the very definition of a game manager.

Seriously, 60% of the Niners passing yards come after the catch which puts them 6th in the NFL with 2205 Total YAC. That is only 70 yards from first place. This is where it gets crazy, all of the teams ahead of the Niners have 125-150 more passing attempts. This, along with his average pass distance (6.6) good for 27th in the league, paints a picture of a QB whose stats are actually inflated relative to the league average QB. Oh! and that'st just an average based on all 16 games. If you factor out his 3 games against against bottom 3 defenses (Arizon twice, Cinci), his overall QB rating and DVOA fall to 17th, between Case Keenum and Phillip Rivers.

This is honestly a testament to how good Kyle Shanahan.

Washington49er

Reaction score
I think he is still lacking confidence in that knee, he was more mobile prior to the injury. Having been through a torn ACL I can tell you it took me at least a couple years to really feel comfortable doing the things I did prior to the injury. Not being mobile is causing him to become Capt. one read, he missed a lot of open guys.

I think next year will be the real test, if he is still not mobile and able to move out of the pocket and allow his receivers to create space I think the 49ers should move on.

The 49ers need to beef up that O-line as well.

KS needs to develop more of a killer instinct and work on his clock management.

Washington49er

Reaction score
xray":82qqiq3x said:

So you don't find it odd there were 0 holding calls on KCs Oline, especially when Bosa was clearly being held on that 48 yard completion on 3rd and 15?

I am all for letting them play but it has to go both ways.

All week long and especially evident during the game is was clear who the league wanted to win that game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Washington49er":35r9tkln said:
xray":35r9tkln said:

So you don't find it odd there were 0 holding calls on KCs Oline, especially when Bosa was clearly being held on that 48 yard completion on 3rd and 15?

All week long and especially evident during the game is was clear who the league wanted to win that game.
So the league wanted KC to win over a “legacy team” in the Niners????? Really???
As your sig says “Nope”.

There were bad calls and bad “no calls” on both sides, they let them play.

Your team had a 10 point lead with 7 minutes left, they choked.
Your play by play guy with 11 minutes left said, 11 minute countdown to #6 (Lombardi’s)

Watch the Baldy Breakdown video that Roland posted up thread.

The moment got too big for your QB, and your head coach (again)!

Face it, They turtled!

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":24twyx37 said:
Washington49er":24twyx37 said:
xray":24twyx37 said:

So the league wanted KC to win over a “legacy team” in the Niners????? Really???
As your sig says “Nope”.

Your play by play guy with 11 minutes left said, 11 minute countdown to #6 (Lombardi’s)

Face it, They turtled!

Don't you have a tin foil hat to press?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Washington49er":24lpa6oe said:
Sports Hernia":24lpa6oe said:
Washington49er":24lpa6oe said:
xray":24lpa6oe said:

As your sig says “Nope”.

Face it, They turtled!

Don't you have a tin foil hat to press?
Translation: You’re 100% correct SH, I have no rebuttal.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":ky9y0k2y said:
xray":ky9y0k2y said:

There were 5 penalties called against the Whiners to 4 called against KC. They were hardly being unfair. Why don't you blame your vaunted defense for giving up 3 touchdowns in a little over 5 minutes? You had a 10 point lead, and you blew it to a team who has consistently come back from them this season. Grow up.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Oh man, there goes the attack-a-niner fan dogpile.

I can entertain the idea that Bosa may have been held on that key play. Just like I can entertain the idea that Golden Tate may have committed OPI on the All-Packers-Failed-Mary TD *catch* FTW. A GIF or video clip would help on the Bosa thing. However, that would be off-topic in this thread. To receive full and proper ridicule, Washington49er should post a thread like "SB54 Officiating, Game-Steering Calls Favoring KC" or similar. The hold on Bosa absolutely could have happened. Let's see actual evidence. There was also an uncalled delay-of-game IIRC on SF, but no biggie. Maybe a lined-up-offsides on KC that was ignored even. Who needs Dee Ford!

Back on topic. The Jimmy G <-> Matt Hasselbeck comp actually is not a terrible one. Both QBs with some strengths, both with limited mobility and both pretty much wilted when under heavy pressure. Both excelled and had Super Bowl years on a team with an exceptionally strong running game. Jimmy G had the advantage of a much better defense in his SB year. Hass had a very average-but-improving defense, but one that was horribly weakened by key in-game injuries in SBXL. You could argue that JG had a better set of weapons than Hass, with Sanders-Samuel-Bourne-Kittle > DJack-Engram-Jurevicius-Stevens, but in listing it out, it seems pretty close. Hass had a better primary RB, but SF's multi-headed monster had almost as many total rushing yards for the season as the 2005 'Hawks.

Hasselbeck failed under pressure when he tried too hard to make plays that weren't there, and JimmyG failed in a similar way, but with more of an element of oh-shit panic involved. In the end, the results were similar, so the distinction isn't that meaningful. I'm thinking perhaps the knee injury and lack of mobility (as WA49er pointed out) is a big factor in the seeming-panic for Jimmy G, in that he has such limited escapability, thus panic ensues.

I think at one point in SB54, Jimmy G had completed close to 90% of his passes, but then the 4th quarter happened. Oops.