JimmyG or a running game

scrummymustard

Reaction score
original poster":3jtsi5rx said:
original poster":3jtsi5rx said:
IIRC the TE franchise tag for Graham would be ludicrous. Very close to $15M if my memory serves.

Just checked that.

Seems I’m talking nonsense. The franchise tag for Graham in 2018 is $10,360,000, per OTC.

It is indeed $15.48 million. It is the higher of the TE tag # or 120% of prior year cap hit that was $9.9 mil.....that would be $11.8 million. For whatever reason per the CBA, the $100,000 workout bonus he received does not get added back in.

However, for the tag purposes, the signing bonus yearly proration he received from the saints will get added back in as his contract was unchanged since signed. ($12 million bonus prorated over 4 years is $3 mil per)....

Therefore, $9.9 mil 2016 salary + $3 mil proration = $12.9 * 120% = $15.48 million.......not happening.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jimmy was worth every penny this year as we finally used him properly in the red zone but I'd still trade his money for better linemen.

Unfortunately what I fear they will do instead is turn jimmys money into Luke Joeckel or something similar because they hate the fans.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think we should wait to hear from our new OC before making any decisions regarding players.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
We paid $8 million for Luke Joeckel that got us where exactly? Just spending money on OL for the sake of spending money on the OL isn't going to accomplish anything.

IMO, we could have roos at guard instead of Joeckel and got similar production. Don't think we can say the same for Graham's TD production w/ Willson or Vannett.

tersal

Reaction score
nwHawk":dfa5trqu said:
Moving forward, those that really want Jimmy resigned should know that he kills our run game. He should be a WR. We can't afford to bring him back.

Look how much our offense, and the team as a whole, struggled without a running game. Jimmy missed block after block. He is not a "Seahawk" type team player. He didn't attack the football in the air unless he was in the end zone. Strange. Thanks for the memories.

This is most likely the most interesting decision. I would bring him back at the right price but not what he makes now.

getnasty

Reaction score
It all depends on our philosophy going forward. If your turning the team over to Russell and gonna let him sling it then keep Graham, if we're getting back to running the ball and defense then let him walk, take the comp pick and cap space and invest in the OL. Tough call since I'm not sure we score from inside the 5 without him but I say let him walk.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/947985049789513728[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/947995614276567040[/tweet]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2dsuz3sz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/947985049789513728[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/947995614276567040[/tweet]

Can you blame him? He's been misapplied almost his whole time here. Meanwhile New Orleans is back at practice tomorrow.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Prior to the Philly game during warmups it was apparent he had checked out in terms of being with the other players on the team. I think he’d checked out the last half of the season. He doesn’t want to stay here and thinks some other team will use him properly unlike he was used here. He’s right if the team doesn’t axe Bevell. He’s not worth his cap number the way he is used here.

I don’t think we see him in Seahawks blue next season. His cap will better allocated elsewhere in the O.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
nwHawk":3pu9nl7f said:
Moving forward, those that really want Jimmy resigned should know that he kills our run game. He should be a WR. We can't afford to bring him back.

Look how much our offense, and the team as a whole, struggled without a running game. Jimmy missed block after block. He is not a "Seahawk" type team player. He didn't attack the football in the air unless he was in the end zone. Strange. Thanks for the memories.

You can have both, BUT you need to run inside to make it work with a bad blocking TE. There are a bunch of offensive schemes that would accommodate.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I don't think Pete will change his philosophy, he will keep it as a running game and defense even if we ended up with another OC.

A running game is vital to all QBs even elite ones and I don't care what anyone says. With a running game you don't have to put all the pressure on a QB to score points all the time. That was the problem this year. People said that Detroit had the worst running game, yeah they were dead last, but if you take out half of Wilson rushing yards and minus his 3 TD's to our RBs 1 Rushing TDs, Detroits had 10 rushing TDs (none of it from Stafford), Seahawks would of been last place. Imagine if we get a Rushing TD every other game this team would still be in the playoffs regardless of our defensive struggle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3tf12wxq said:
hawknation2017":3tf12wxq said:
Exactly, he should be used like he was in New Orleans . . . as a WR, never as an in-line blocker.

The fact that the current OC insists on using him as a blocker, rather than as a SE, shows the height of his incompetence.

Can Jimmy block a DB on the outside? Of course, that's called a size mismatch. But asking him to block like an OT makes zero sense. Such an utter waste of talent.

Using him on the outside would actually help the running game by forcing teams to pull a safety outside of the box to cover Jimmy.

YES! This has driven me crazy. It's so simple, basic offensive scheme stuff. Take the huge, talented WR and line him WIDE so you pull the D to that side and give the line and the backs more chance to make/find a hole.

Cripes it's so simple and yet for whatever reason our offense didn't do this nearly enough and/or was very late in starting to.

Ultimately that comes from PETE. I've heard many say Pete is very weak via offense playmaking which is why he gives near complete control of the play calling over to the OC. Always has been. I don't buy that. He can't really be THAT bad - can he?

I don't know if it's incompetence so much as having to use what you're given.

Pete needed a big target who could pull off 10 TD's in the red zone (something the fans were screaming for). He found an opportunity to grab Jimmy and, tired of dinking around in the 4th round for such a player, pulled the trigger. He felt that 10 touchdowns outweighed the blocking issue, or perhaps, that Jimmy would learn.

We found out otherwise, but two questions: 1. how much of that was bad running backs and two other poor tight ends (Willson and Vannett are not ace blockers) and 2. how do you disparage ten touchdowns anyway?

It's part of Seattle's tweener problem. Sherman, Kam, Avril, Bennett, Sheldon, and now Graham: B+ players who might not be deserving of A+ contracts they once earned, but are still immensely difficult to replace if they walk. Seattle is now dealing with a pileup of such players. It's almost as if they're victims of their own success.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Get us an OC that knows how to use Jimmy and we can have BOTH.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Can we really line up Graham out wide and expect much success outside the RZ? He can't really run many routes and for some reason looked much more athletic last year coming off a severe injury than he did this year with a full training camp.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Fant is a BB player and can catch.. Lets use him at TE... get a running game going.. damn I love a good running game.

randomation

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2a420e7m said:
peppersjap":2a420e7m said:
I'm not sure why people think that Jimmy Graham would want to resign here. I don't think I've ever seen a player used this badly ever. As for the running game, it would have been nice to see them actually try to establish the run on an opening drive but every game we come out passing??

What if we hired his former OC Pete Carmichael?

And there is always the TE Franchise Tag.

I would be very happy if we hired Carmichael but I think he will get an hc offer.

mrblitz

Reaction score
could you imagine a bubble screen with 3x nick vannett in a cluster? matched up against smaller dbs, they might really push for yardage. same if you had 3x joe jurevicius, or 3x marcell reece.

we should load out the te/wr core with big players who can block and have good hands. then they could really create push on bubble screens, and more importantly, in the run game. most importanly, one of these types of receivers could win the contest for the air ball, anywhere on the field.

as it is, graham wouldn't quite fit into that idea. maybe he could up his game though.

so it could be a thing; you load up on large targets; they can block; they can catch; they get the contested ball. then, coach them up to; in an emergency commit opi to prevent the odd interception. it would only be a 10-yard penalty.

load up with big running backs, and you'd have a 'winnebego' offense; a real ball control, scoring machine. all russell would have to do, would be to huck the ball all over the place, and hand the ball off. 'qb scramble as the first option' would be a thing of the past...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I say we just get rid of Bevell's sorry tight end.
Keep Jimmy. He's soft but he got us 10 RZ TDs which is progress from last year.