J'Marcus Webb signs

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3n27619h said:
The worlds worst smokescreen to try and convince teams we're not drafting O-line early.

Turns out that smokescreen seems pretty good, at least around here.

Still not convinced we're not addressing the O-line early in the draft.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3q0usl5z said:
The worlds worst smokescreen to try and convince teams we're not drafting O-line early.
Hehe! OH, how I hope you're right!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":2z0etiyl said:
Excellent addition.

Last year Seattle swung on the trapeze without a safety net.

This year they are bringing in some guys to catch us should we fall. I still think we'll swing with the young guys. I expect Glowinski, Gilliam and Sokoli to start for us. But if they struggle, we've got some replacement value depth to take over.

Agree with most of that; especially the thought process. I disagree with Sokoli; however, only because Pete said getting him ready will require another full season. He's still way too raw.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
naholmes":2ncuryv3 said:
That makes him the Seahawks highest paid lineman. I guess they consider Webb a starting at tackle.
Highest paid at this time.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Overseasfan":13v2o7eu said:
vin.couve12":13v2o7eu said:
Is that a one year deal?

The way it's written down it looks more like a two year deal but it's hard to tell.
No guarantee$$ after the first year. Essentially a one yr deal.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2095tkw8 said:
hawknation2016":2095tkw8 said:
Wow . . . $2.45 million guaranteed.

2 years, $6 million overall.

How is this a wow? Some major over reaction going on in here.

Just a surprise because I didn't expect him to have this much guaranteed money. I thought he would have to earn his money in camp like Bradley Sowell. It's not necessarily a bad "wow." This team has some awfully good talent evaluators, which makes me think I may have been sleeping on the hidden talent of J'Marcus Webb.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Schadie001":38e6iez5 said:
ludakrishna":38e6iez5 said:
Signing OLINEMAN who actually have played on the OLINE rather than the DLine is improvement.

Afraid you are going to be very disappointed in our draft. I have heard several interviews with JS and Cable alike stating that the talent coming out of college at Oline does not fit our style of play based on the almost exclusive running of spread offenses. They have stated that they feel it is easier to teach an athletic Dlineman how to play Oline than to reteach a spread Olineman how to put his hand down and run block. This has played out in the last two years draft. We just aren't going to waiste high picks on spread offense olineman no matter how much this forum wants us to. Like it or not our Oline was by no means great but they were far better at the end of the year than the beginning. Cable took a bunch of rookies and guys playing new positions and didn't do a terrible job given the players he had. Hell we still were one of the best offenses in the league and Russell threw for more yards and TDs than he ever has.
You are in for a surprise then.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
You all could be reading too much into this signing, could just be they needed a vet on the line, if Okung leaves, Webb is the ONLY guy with some seasoning behind him, everyone else is 26 or younger with limited starting time. The coaching staff could see a guy with leadership potential who could help out an INCREDIBLY young offensive line come together. Could definitely be value alone in that.

Seafan

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2fz02miv said:
hawknation2016":2fz02miv said:
Wow . . . $2.45 million guaranteed.

2 years, $6 million overall.

How is this a wow? Some major over reaction going on in here.

The Hawks were competing with other teams for him. He's not guaranteed a job, just money. Without Bailey and likely Okung it isn't a bad deal. He seems like a good fit at RT, a Breno type. If Poole or a rookie beat him out that's great. He could still be a Bailey type swing player. It does seem like the Hawks intend to move GG to RT.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":1t46rs9h said:
jammerhawk":1t46rs9h said:
Holy overreaction!

I don't care about anything PFF says. But I do care about a guy earning a starting job without ever showing anything positive in the NFL as a 28 year old. And the money committed here probably pencils him in to be the RT starter.

The real issue I have is that this kind of resource commitment will often negatively impact roster decisions. For example, Justin Britt has been a disaster, and yet he has 32 starts to his name. Had he been a UDFA and played equally as poorly, would he have lasted for 32 starts? How about Cary Williams? Would Cary Williams have ambushed our secondary for as long as he did if not for the financial investment in him?

For that reason, I don't like seeing Seattle put themselves in a situation where they are committed to a player that will most likely be pretty bad. It could cause them to give those players meaningful and damaging reps longer than they would do otherwise.

Barthawk":1t46rs9h said:
Significant money? Two years ago the cap was 20M less than it is now.. so add another 15% less to what Breno was paid in 2014.

I remember us saying we got training camp fodder in 2011 for Kelly Jennings when we got Clinton McDonald.. he turned out pretty ok..

He is getting less than 50% what Sweezy just got.. i think it is an ok deal myself. 28 years old, started multiple games and has not been injury prone. Good signing I think.

I think the JR Sweezy deal was bad too. But that deal didn't force Seattle to sign Webb to starter money.

FWIW, I loved the McDonald trade when it went down (everyone hated Jennings; the deal was almost universally liked).

Breno's numbers were not exactly the same, I just brought him up for a frame of reference with regards to the contract Webb received.

Imo its not that simple... Cary Williams was signed as insurance because Lane and Simon were both up in the air plus Shead was still a prinary safety. They betted on themselves that Williams could play to his potential and fit in.

However, while Williams would flash he couldnt be consistent, he didnt buy in , and because of that he didnt fit in. Once Lane was healthy and Shead had stepped up in his new role they just let Williams go.

I doubt the Seahawks care what anyone thinks, theyll continue to make decisions based on what they think is best. It could turn out horribly and thier is a chance it could work.

We arent Gilliam or Webb, and we can project future performance all we want, but we dont know if Gilliam is doing everything he can to be ready as a possible LT or how much he can grow from starting 16 games last season entering his 3rd year as an OL.

And we definately dont know how Webb will fit in our system or if Cable will able to coach up. Sure they could have overpaid for a horrible player but its also possible they paid what they had to ger a guy they think had potential in this system and fit in better than some of the other guys who had more pedigree but were more expensive and perhaps didnt fit in.

Honestly there is nothing we can do now... So lets just wait until september/october before we start to label players disappointments before playing a single down.

I know the track record doesnt agree with guys like Harvin, Graham, and Williams.

But the deal is only 2 years, 6 m... Not really a huge contract compared to those guys who got 3-5 years, 18-64 million.

The Seahawks will continue to add bodies especially through the draft, im sure they have a plan for the Oline, and right now like they did with the QB position they are making sure thier floor is at least solid before they try to raise the ceiling.

We also dont know what players will be on the market in September, a cheap stop-gap might also work its way into the fold.

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":bkfunncd said:
I don't see why we are sweating a 2 yr, $6M contract with $2.5M guaranteed. How is that starting OT money? More like guard. And Sowell is getting the veterans minimum of $800K with a $200K signing bonus. If these two contracts break the bank, then there wasn't anything in the bank in the first case.

Davis Hsu tweeted that they want him to play RT.

I really doubt they gave him that kind of money to be a backup. I guess we'll see.

It's not about the money, it's about the commitment level.

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3ac9fycn said:
But the deal is only 2 years, 6 m... Not really a huge contract compared to those guys who got 3-5 years, 18-64 million.

It's not the money that bothers me, it's the implied commitment. If Sowell fails, who cares. The Seahawks could just cut him at any time and there's no harm done. But if Webb fails, it could cause damage. Not only in terms of millions of dollars lost, but in terms of waiting longer to give him the hook because of investment bias.

That's not to say that I think Webb sucks. I've never seen the guy play, and Cable has rehabilitated vets with bad reps before. There's a real chance this signing could turn into a bargain. I just think that given Webb's negative reputation, it disturbs me to see Seattle essentially hand him a starting job without him earning it first.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I think he will make a good backup at both guard spots and possibly at RT if it comes to that with injuries, or he could possibly start at RG if Glowinski doesn't pan out in training camp. I think most of these moves on the O-line are competition based. You bring in some vets to push the current starters and the draft picks that will be brought in the draft. As bad as the O-line has been over the last 2-4 years you can't have enough completion and experience.

Now if the Seahawks can just get Okung back at a decent price and draft another starting guard/center in the first two rounds of the draft, I would be very happy with the offseason overhaul of the O-line.

Jville

Reaction score
* A 2010 - 2012 Chicago huddle was not the best spiritual place to be for a young lineman.

* His playing time and perceived value fell into free fall in Minnesota.

* Reggie McKenzie interceded by stepping in to save Webb's career and rebuild his confidence while he started 16 games for the Oakland Raiders.

* A rejuvenated J'Marcus Webb is coming out of a starting lineup that many feel may prove to be one of the best in 2016.

* Webb has been thru the highs and lows during 6 years of competition and has accumulated 61 starts in 71 games played.

* The contract he received implies respect and confidence in his return to competing for a starting position.

* But, of course, he still has to compete and fit into Cable's scheme.

* Given his background and his return to relevance, the contract makes sense and is a reasonable bet.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't know.

This deal looks eerily like our annual "bring in a guy who disappointed somewhere else for a contract that seems unreasonably high and expect him to start immediately" move.

I will be the first to acknowledge we have to patch our OL, so maybe we had to do it. But we are due for one of the "dumb" FA moves that seems to hit 2 of every 3 years.

At this point, I kind of expect it. But we do end up with Lynch, Avril, or Bennett when this stuff works out - so hopefully it falls more to that end result.

I will feel better about this stuff when the draft picks are in to offset some of the gaps.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nobody said anything about anyone starting anywhere, especially since F.A. is not even a week old.

The Hawks aren't signing or trading for an LT, however the draft is chock full of OL just when we need it to be. If we have to start a rook at LT,so be it. Okung started as a rookie...no? In the meantime we lost starting RG, Britt is very underwhelming at any spot. Glowinski and Sokoli are as raw as a dong in Thailand.

We have to make these moves.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about them executing this strategy: let the inconsistent and overpaid guys walk, scour the free agency market for what they perceive to be bargain veterans, and then draft extremely well along the offensive line.

Webb may or may not become a starter at RT or elsewhere. What he is guaranteed to provide is additional competition from a veteran, in addition to the competition we will see from the young linemen we already have (Britt, Sokoli, Glowinski, Gilliam, etc.) and the rookie linemen we will add in this draft.

Carroll, Schneider, and Co. blew up this underperforming unit up so they can re-build it like they built the L.O.B. The best thing they can do this off-season is to provide the raw materials for competition, which is the team's driving force toward success.

Latest posts