John Abraham and Dwight Freeney still available i believe...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Four games without Bruce Irvin probably doesn't warrant a responsive signing of an aging veteran.

We'll be fine. Irvin just gets pushed out of the way 98% of the time anyways.... :stirthepot:

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Unless they're willing to take a very steep pay cut, I don't see it happening. Not like we have a ton of cap space lying around.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3s8gj6eh said:
We'll be fine. Irvin just gets pushed out of the way 98% of the time anyways.... :stirthepot:

I don't think you're necessarily just stirring the pot, here. I wasn't thrilled with the Irvin pick (wanted Cox or Coples) and wasn't impressed with his performance last year,
BUT
I was hoping like everyone else here that he would show massive improvement in year two.

Honestly, I'd take Bennett or Avril over Irvin although it will suck not to have all three to run with.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2qw8kakr said:
FlyingGreg":2qw8kakr said:

I don't think you're necessarily just stirring the pot, here. I wasn't thrilled with the Irvin pick (wanted Cox or Coples) and wasn't impressed with his performance last year,
BUT
I was hoping like everyone else here that he would show massive improvement in year two.

Honestly, I'd take Bennett or Avril over Irvin although it will suck not to have all three to run with.

Thank GOD we didn't take the guy you wanted. The same guy whose coach is calling him out for being lazy in the weight room. (Which was one of his knocks coming out of college.)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Which of the 2 guys I named are you referring to? I am not paying attention to either of them/they are not Seahawks. I'm guessing you are talking about Coples. Shocking that I don't have a 100% success rate with draft wants, right?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You have to believe the Seahawks were prepared for this in the long run:

1) Cliff Avril
2) Michael Bennett
3) Ty Powell
4) Michael Boatwright
5) Benson Mayowa

The stocked up on their LEOs and Defensive Ends.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3g54gb5y said:

1) Cliff Avril
2) Michael Bennett
3) Ty Powell
4) Michael Boatwright
5) Benson Mayowa

Probably...but only two on that list are credible NFL players (as of now).

drdiags

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3uarjnhe said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3uarjnhe said:

1) Cliff Avril
2) Michael Bennett
3) Ty Powell
4) Michael Boatwright
5) Benson Mayowa

Probably...but only two on that list are credible NFL players (as of now).

And one of them is going to try to play a second straight year with a bum shoulder that really needs surgery, but he cannot take the down time.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1hep4yjk said:
For some reason, I am irrationally annoyed at Bruce Irvin. I feel like I'm somewhere near "Cut him now!" mode, which is of course silly.

Still, I don't know why this got to me like it did. It didn't get to me with Browner.

Probably because the Seahawks took a huge chance drafting him in the top half of the 1st round, considering his background...and here we are. Every single day of his career should be spent paying back the organization in spades for the opportunity and the financial commitment.

Everyone has a right to be annoyed/upset.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks will have to make up for it in other areas:

First, Avril will play primary LEO. Bennett will probably assume the Raheem Brock role. It shouldn't be much of a drop off from Clemons/Irvin in terms of pass-rushing, and the rush defense evens out, if not better. Hill and Howard will have to create the pressure inside.

2ndly, Seahawks not only have Wright, and Wagner who should be better has pass-rushers in year 3 and 2. Plus, the Seahawks have some of the fastest LBers in the NFL with Smith, Morgan, Bradford, and Toomer. Assume the Seahawks will try to make the most out of that speed.

3rdly, add Winfield to the mix, he's not a closer but he can disrupt and make QB hurry. Or you can move Winfield to FS and send Thomas or Chanchellor. Lane also has enough speed to a viable blitzer.

If anything not having Clemons and Irvin makes the Seahawks less predictable and I trust Dan Quinn will utilize all his options to create pressure.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":207dyuj1 said:
Smelly McUgly":207dyuj1 said:
For some reason, I am irrationally annoyed at Bruce Irvin. I feel like I'm somewhere near "Cut him now!" mode, which is of course silly.

Still, I don't know why this got to me like it did. It didn't get to me with Browner.

Probably because the Seahawks took a huge chance drafting him in the top half of the 1st round, considering his background...and here we are. Every single day of his career should be spent paying back the organization in spades for the opportunity and the financial commitment.

Everyone has a right to be annoyed/upset.
This, and, the fact that he's dumb enough to get tangled up with adderall, after knowing how it bit the Seahawks organization in the ass with the Browner penalty, and 4 game suspension.
I'm just disillusioned with the stupidity with these guys that should be doing everything in their power to show Pete and John that they were spot on, by picking him in the first round.
Those guys don't deserve to get screwed over for gambling on a high pick for Irvin.
I think he'd better pray that someone doesn't magically appear, and out shine him while he's serving his suspension. :141847_bnono:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Avril, Bennett and Hill providing pressure at the line with Clem likely to return sometime in the first four weeks.

We're good. Also, just to put it out there, Antoine Winfield was the second most productive corner blitzer in 2012.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":39o2tlqf said:
Four games without Bruce Irvin probably doesn't warrant a responsive signing of an aging veteran.

Yep. He pretty much disappeared after the first 4 or five games last year. Time to sit and learn a bit IMO.