John Schnieder Scouting QB Draft Pick Prospect

Popeyejones

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3isagxu3 said:
Why would our office release this information anyway?

From the article it's really clear IMO that the source is Wilson's camp, not the Seahawks.

So the question isn't what do the Hawks get out of this coming out, but instead, what does Wilson's camp get out of this coming out?

I have no idea, of course, but my guess is that Wilson's camp wants an extension now and the Hawks want to wait another year, so Wilson's camp is pushing this out hoping that Hawks fans get upset about the threat of a complete and total rebuild and force the team's hand in doing the extension on Wilson's team's timeline.

acctingman

Reaction score
If the RW camp is pushing for $30M a year, trade him now or let him be a free agent. I'd be curious to know how many here are ok with paying a QB that kind of money? $30M for a QB will ruin your team. This teams success came when the QB was making peanuts. FO is probably trying to look at that approach again.

Who knows. I'm all for keeping Russ (if he won't break the bank). Love the guy. He's a great, no.....an amazing QB, but not $30M amazing. No one is. Let some other team pay him $30M. I'd rather be full rebuild mode than to be hamstrung by a massive contract.

Ozzy

Reaction score
RCATES":dem7wgu0 said:
My opinion of RW which may not be popular around here is actually shared by many outside of Seattle as well as the front office. RW has peaked and is not leading this team to another SB. Its time to move on.

This take is about as bad as it gets. Actually outside of Seattle Russ is considered a top 5 elite QB who is capable of winning multiple super bowls in his future. He led the league in TD's playing behind a terrible line, historical bad running game and a system that isnt conducive to QB numbers. There is literally no one around the league that holds your position. If its "people outside of Seattle" its social media arm chair experts. Cowherd, who I'm not a fan of, recently did a segment on how great Russell is and how the league knows it yet the average fan is still slow to jump on board. But I would love to hear your sources on how the front office has soured on Russ and thinks he can't get back to a SB......

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Time to move on from one of the best QB's in the league, who has done nothing but win, and with class. Yeah, that's real smart. :roll:

acctingman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1h2czorh said:
Time to move on from one of the best QB's in the league, who has done nothing but win, and with class. Yeah, that's real smart. :roll:

So, you have no problem with the team paying RW $30M a year?

Also, how about a conversation without snarky comments? I know it's the internet and you are faceless, but snarky comments only make your opinions less credible. I know I need to pay heed to that at times.

original poster

Reaction score
acctingman":us7wff1s said:
SoulfishHawk":us7wff1s said:

Also, how about a conversation without snarky comments? I know it's the internet and you are faceless, but snarky comments only make your opinions less credible. I know I need to pay heed to that at times.

Honestly? I'd be more than OK paying him $30M per.

Provided he gets extended next summer and they tear his old deal up, his 2019 cap hit is going to be insane regardless as he will have a prorated bonus of $8,286,766 going against his cap that the team cannot get out of.

Lets say he gets $30M per next year over a 4 year extension (5 year deal)

$150M, $50M signing bonus

2019 cap hit - $36,286,766 ($8,286,766 from his previous deal, $10M prorated from his new deal and $18M base salary)
2020 cap hit - $29,000,000
2021 cap hit - $30,000,000
2022 cap hit - $31,000,000
2023 cap hit - $32,000,000

Obviously it won't be structured like that, but it's not 'that' much more than his cap hit at present which is $23,786,764 for 2018 and $25,286,766 for 2019 currently due to them converting $6.26M of his 2017 base salary into signing bonus last season.

As usual, the cap hits in 2021/2022/2023 will be bargains at the time.

I HATE the way the QB contract market is going but unless you're prepared to tank once every 5 years to gain a top draft pick, and then hope to God that drafted QB works out every single time the team really doesn't have much other choice. It's not Russ's fault, I guess if you wanted to put blame on anyone, place it on the teams that have allowed these contracts to grow at the rate they have.

Seymour

Reaction score
If Schnieder and Pete trade Wilson, they will be run out of town on a rail, and I'm leading!!

And I'll even get the soggy bottom boy's to sing for the ceremonies...

Isyouis4 710279

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":3aspw1o2 said:
acctingman":3aspw1o2 said:
SoulfishHawk":3aspw1o2 said:

Honestly? I'd be more than OK paying him $30M per.

Provided he gets extended next summer and they tear his old deal up, his 2019 cap hit is going to be insane regardless as he will have a prorated bonus of $8,286,766 going against his cap that the team cannot get out of.

Lets say he gets $30M per next year over a 4 year extension (5 year deal)

$150M, $50M signing bonus

2019 cap hit - $36,286,766 ($8,286,766 from his previous deal, $10M prorated from his new deal and $18M base salary)
2020 cap hit - $29,000,000
2021 cap hit - $30,000,000
2022 cap hit - $31,000,000
2023 cap hit - $32,000,000

Obviously it won't be structured like that, but it's not 'that' much more than his cap hit at present which is $23,786,764 for 2018 and $25,286,766 for 2019 currently due to them converting $6.26M of his 2017 base salary into signing bonus last season.

As usual, the cap hits in 2021/2022/2023 will be bargains at the time.

I HATE the way the QB contract market is going but unless you're prepared to tank once every 5 years to gain a top draft pick, and then hope to God that drafted QB works out every single time the team really doesn't have much other choice. It's not Russ's fault, I guess if you wanted to put blame on anyone, place it on the teams that have allowed these contracts to grow at the rate they have.

How has "hoping to god" worked out for Cleveland??

Browns-QB-jersey.jpg

RCATES

Reaction score
austinslater25":hoyg21ck said:
RCATES":hoyg21ck said:
My opinion of RW which may not be popular around here is actually shared by many outside of Seattle as well as the front office. RW has peaked and is not leading this team to another SB. Its time to move on.

This take is about as bad as it gets. Actually outside of Seattle Russ is considered a top 5 elite QB who is capable of winning multiple super bowls in his future. He led the league in TD's playing behind a terrible line, historical bad running game and a system that isnt conducive to QB numbers. There is literally no one around the league that holds your position. If its "people outside of Seattle" its social media arm chair experts. Cowherd, who I'm not a fan of, recently did a segment on how great Russell is and how the league knows it yet the average fan is still slow to jump on board. But I would love to hear your sources on how the front office has soured on Russ and thinks he can't get back to a SB......

Keep living in la la land. I could share tons of stories and article's of ex teammates of RW saying he wasn't that good and even numerous situations where current and now ex Seahawk's didn't like the praise RW was getting even while playing poorly. Not being held to the same standard. I guess in your world that doesn't mean anything. Just like JS scouting hard the last two years for a QB. It all points to the same exact thing. RW just isn't as good as some of you Homers cast him to be. Its not a bad take on my part. The opinions of players as well as the recent activity by JS clearly supports my take.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's the going rate for the top notch QB's, you don't get rid of franchise QB's. And the Salary cap is still going to continue to go up. Yeah, I want to win, so if it takes 30 mil, like it will for MANY other QB's in the future, so be it. And yes, he is that good. Just because you hate the guy, doesn't mean he's what you claim he is. This team will take a massive drop if he isn't behind center, period. So, you'd be happier with a 5 or 6 win team as long as Russ isn't here? Ok then......

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":1xvgin7v said:
austinslater25":1xvgin7v said:
RCATES":1xvgin7v said:

Keep living in la la land. I could share tons of stories and article's of ex teammates of RW saying he wasn't that good and even numerous situations where current and now ex Seahawk's didn't like the praise RW was getting even while playing poorly. Not being held to the same standard. I guess in your world that doesn't mean anything. Just like JS scouting hard the last two years for a QB. It all points to the same exact thing. RW just isn't as good as some of you Homers cast him to be. Its not a bad take on my part. The opinions of players as well as the recent activity by JS clearly supports my take.

You are out of your mind....period!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is this really what it has come to? Welcome to the NFL, top notch QB's are going to make close to or more than 30 mil from here on. It's not going to change. Is the idea to win or not? The hate and flat out refusal to accept this guy has become embarrassing. :?

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1464yfwx said:
It's the going rate for the top notch QB's, you don't get rid of franchise QB's. And the Salary cap is still going to continue to go up. Yeah, I want to win, so if it takes 30 mil, like it will for MANY other QB's in the future, so be it. And yes, he is that good. Just because you hate the guy, doesn't mean he's what you claim he is.

This is a classic go to for those who refuse to accept anything other then their own opinion. I must be a Hater right? Wrong. I'm a realist. RW will not win a SB without a dominant running game and a top 5 defense. He simply can't carry a team. His struggles in the first 3 quarters last year just confirm that. I have zero trust that RW will be able to do what's needed moving forward to help this team win another SB. No way you try to build a team around someone like that. There's a reason all these stories and rumors are circulating. JS must be a hater as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Keep telling yourself that R. He is plenty capable of carrying the team. Not even worth talking about w/you. Have a great day. Gotta' love those "12s" Believing every story and rumor they hear, what a waste of energy.
Go Hawks GO RUSS

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RCATES":1tuntyn0 said:
austinslater25":1tuntyn0 said:
RCATES":1tuntyn0 said:

You could share? No, please share all those "tons" of stories. We'd love to hear 'em!

James in PA

Reaction score
This story is a classic slow news cycle, click bait, speculation piece. Russ isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Oh Brother. :roll:

All this talk about the Seahawks looking to trade Russell Wilson, move on from him, etc.? No way.

You know what I think this is truly all about? Knowing Schneider and Carroll (as much as any fan can possibly know those guys), I'd say this interest in scouting a QB is about 2 basic things:

1) It's about ALWAYS COMPETE. What is it that Pete Carroll is all about? What is it that he always says? What is it that he has preached from the very beginning (and has never changed)? ALWAYS COMPETE. Creating competition is literally part of Pete Carroll's DNA. It's who he is. It's what he does. And each and every year (in theory) there is competition for each and every spot on the field. They want guys who can push starters for jobs each and every year. They do not want to bring in guys who have the mentality of, "Oh man, I get the chance to play with Earl Thomas." NO -- they want guys with the mentality of, "I get the chance to compete with Earl Thomas for the starting FS job." Realistic or not, that's the mindset. And that competition mindset has been present year in and year out since Pete got here. Since 2012, one can argue that competition has existed for each and every position except one -- quarterback. This is about finding someone who potentially has the talent who could literally compete for Russell Wilson's job. That's good for the Seahawks ... and that's good for Russell Wilson, as it makes him the best he can be.

2) It's about the Green Bay Way. Seriously, recall your history folks. This is how they do business in Green Bay -- it's how they always have done business since Ron Wolf. They are always looking to draft and groom QB's for the future -- either to groom as potential successors ... OR to trade eventually for draft capital. Think about it. How did we get Matt Hasselbeck? It's because Green Bay drafted him in the 6th Round on the 1998 draft ... and then traded him to us 3 years later. They got a nice little haul from that move (moved up 7 spots in the 1st round and netted a 3rd round choice). How about Aaron Rodgers? Green Bay drafted him at the tail end of the 1st Round in 2005 ... and he sat behind Brett Favre before eventually succeeding him in 2008. John Schneider was there throughout all of this. He was steeped in it. Personally, I think it's bothered him for a long time that he's never found a guy in the draft whom he felt could be either:
A] Potential Draft Capital for Seattle that they could look to later trade. AND/OR
B] A guy who could be legitimate competition for Russell Wilson (or his eventual successor should he decide to eventually move on). Sure would be nice to have a back-up whom you feel good about who can actually come in and win a game.

Personally, I'd say that this isn't news -- it's what Carroll and Schneider have always, always wanted.

I would be highly, highly shocked if all of this scouting of QB prospects is about anything other than that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2ogzacbd said:
RCATES":2ogzacbd said:
austinslater25":2ogzacbd said:
RCATES":2ogzacbd said:

You could share? No, please share all those "tons" of stories. We'd love to hear 'em!

I know someone with multiple connections to the team and he thinks this is crazy. The players know he's a top 5 guy in the league. So share your stories, I would love to hear them.