John Schnieder Scouting QB Draft Pick Prospect

chris98251

Reaction score
RCATES":26pp5adu said:
SoulfishHawk":26pp5adu said:
It's the going rate for the top notch QB's, you don't get rid of franchise QB's. And the Salary cap is still going to continue to go up. Yeah, I want to win, so if it takes 30 mil, like it will for MANY other QB's in the future, so be it. And yes, he is that good. Just because you hate the guy, doesn't mean he's what you claim he is.

This is a classic go to for those who refuse to accept anything other then their own opinion. I must be a Hater right? Wrong. I'm a realist. RW will not win a SB without a dominant running game and a top 5 defense. He simply can't carry a team. His struggles in the first 3 quarters last year just confirm that. I have zero trust that RW will be able to do what's needed moving forward to help this team win another SB. No way you try to build a team around someone like that. There's a reason all these stories and rumors are circulating. JS must be a hater as well.

Well tell me a QB that can win a Super Bowl without a very good defense, show me a team that can win a Super Bowl without a RB threat.

That's a empty argument.

Secondly your blaming Wilson for slow starts, is he calling the scripted plays that Bevell used for two quarters and was on record as saying so, they also have been on record as saying they play conservative and let the defense set the tone and try to get points off turnovers. The other aspect is bad or slow adjustments being made, who is in control of those, once again Bevell and Cable.

It was last quarter heroics or typically coming from behind when Wilson was allowed to create he and the offense got things moving.

toffee

Reaction score
When Bill Walsh went out and signed Steve young, some fans were livid.
When Bill Walsh traded Joe Montana, some fans were asking for Walsh’s head.

Walsh was doing what’s best for his team, he saw things an average fan couldn’t and frankly shouldn’t.

Pete and John weren’t be doing their jobs if they dont look a few years into the future, in fact, they have failed in the past seasons to acquire and develop a backup with “trade value”. How many picks Patriots have gotten for their backup QBs?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, go watch the NFC Championship games. Good luck finding another QB who could make the ridiculous plays Russ did in BOTH games. :roll:

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ykqhu8hz said:
Um, go watch the NFC Championship games. Good luck finding another QB who could make the ridiculous plays Russ did in BOTH games. :roll:
Having a great QB and planning for future/contingencies shouldn’t be mutually exclusive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As the Minnesota Vikings, and to some extent the Philadelphia Eagles, have shown - you can win in even the new NFL without an all everything QB.

However, you better have a tremendously good defense then.

Now, a $30M per year QB with the isses that Wilson has shown recently? That would decimate any future this team has.

But...

We don't know how many of those issues are the result of poor OC and poor strategy/tactics.

We don't know if a better line would fix those issues or if having any semblance of a run game helps prevent defenses from exploiting Wilson's weaknesses like they do.

We do know, that if the Wilson of last year is the Wilson of this year, we are screwed.

We do know, that Wilson at his best/greatest - on that amazing run he had with Baldwin, was barely enough to get us into a wildcard and it did little to nothing for us in the playoffs.

However, if you wanted to get rid of Wilson to go all in on the defense, you lost the opportunity when you jettisoned some of our best players on defense. We will now have average corners, not great ones. Our DL is going to be nowhere near as good as before. And one great MLB is not going to make much difference if the line and corners are not helping much.

Without a great defense, the idea of trading Wilson does not make much sense. It would be a half in and half out strategy that rarely ever works.

We pretty much have to hope that the problems Wilson has can be rectified by getting him a competent OC. And hope we have a competent OC.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The fact that Wilson went on that tear was a huge reason we even made the playoffs that year. We were 4-5 and would've missed them if something didn't improve. Luckily we got rid of Nowak, Bev changed the offense, and Russ played very well. Saying Russ at his best got us a wildcard when he only played at that level for half a season is unfair. If he played or plays that well for an entire season we will win 13+ games.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well that second half of the season included the playoffs did it not?

He pretty much sucked in the playoffs that year.

He gets a pass that first game in the playoffs because it was 237 degrees below zero but that 2nd game was garbage.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Shhhh.
Don't tell anyone. This is a diversion.
1st of all, no one is supposed to know JS has a special interest in a player. They don't let that info out.
Media is all over this.
This is a diversion so some other GM sees JS's interest in this QB and trades up to steal him. Result is another QB off the board leaving one more skill player for JS to choose from at 18.
Cost to PA is a nice weekend for JS and his wife to see a few sights and feign interest for about $10000. 1st class accommodations, of course. To and fro as well.
Peanuts to get a shot at another player at 18.

chris98251

Reaction score
Anyone think that perhaps the Seahawks have him slotted to be just about where we pick? Showing interest could generate a better trade for our spot. You can't believe anything a GM, Coach says this time of year.

The other aspect as we are looking to trade Wilson. The PROCESS possibly being drafting a cheap first 5 years Franchise QB and build a defense to support him and a O line and RB to protect him while he develops.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2gr3ypwg said:
Oh Brother. :roll:

All this talk about the Seahawks looking to trade Russell Wilson, move on from him, etc.? No way.

You know what I think this is truly all about? Knowing Schneider and Carroll (as much as any fan can possibly know those guys), I'd say this interest in scouting a QB is about 2 basic things:

1) It's about ALWAYS COMPETE. What is it that Pete Carroll is all about? What is it that he always says? What is it that he has preached from the very beginning (and has never changed)? ALWAYS COMPETE. Creating competition is literally part of Pete Carroll's DNA. It's who he is. It's what he does. And each and every year (in theory) there is competition for each and every spot on the field. They want guys who can push starters for jobs each and every year. They do not want to bring in guys who have the mentality of, "Oh man, I get the chance to play with Earl Thomas." NO -- they want guys with the mentality of, "I get the chance to compete with Earl Thomas for the starting FS job." Realistic or not, that's the mindset. And that competition mindset has been present year in and year out since Pete got here. Since 2012, one can argue that competition has existed for each and every position except one -- quarterback. This is about finding someone who potentially has the talent who could literally compete for Russell Wilson's job. That's good for the Seahawks ... and that's good for Russell Wilson, as it makes him the best he can be.

2) It's about the Green Bay Way. Seriously, recall your history folks. This is how they do business in Green Bay -- it's how they always have done business since Ron Wolf. They are always looking to draft and groom QB's for the future -- either to groom as potential successors ... OR to trade eventually for draft capital. Think about it. How did we get Matt Hasselbeck? It's because Green Bay drafted him in the 6th Round on the 1998 draft ... and then traded him to us 3 years later. They got a nice little haul from that move (moved up 7 spots in the 1st round and netted a 3rd round choice). How about Aaron Rodgers? Green Bay drafted him at the tail end of the 1st Round in 2005 ... and he sat behind Brett Favre before eventually succeeding him in 2008. John Schneider was there throughout all of this. He was steeped in it. Personally, I think it's bothered him for a long time that he's never found a guy in the draft whom he felt could be either:
A] Potential Draft Capital for Seattle that they could look to later trade. AND/OR
B] A guy who could be legitimate competition for Russell Wilson (or his eventual successor should he decide to eventually move on). Sure would be nice to have a back-up whom you feel good about who can actually come in and win a game.

Personally, I'd say that this isn't news -- it's what Carroll and Schneider have always, always wanted.

I would be highly, highly shocked if all of this scouting of QB prospects is about anything other than that.

I have no problem with drafting competition or a successor, but that needs to be done in the middle/later rounds. To get Allen you'd have to trade into the top 5-7, which, besides costing us an arm and a leg, would also be a clear signal to Wilson that he's on his way out. You don't trade up and use a top 10 pick on a guy who's gonna sit on the bench for 4 years. Hell, Wilson himself might be the cost of acquiring the pick.

Not to mention Allen is an incredibly risky prospect and has a high likelihood of being Osweiler 2.0. At least go after Rosen if you're gonna blow it all to hell.

adeltaY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ssintt2 said:
Well that second half of the season included the playoffs did it not?

He pretty much sucked in the playoffs that year.

He gets a pass that first game in the playoffs because it was 237 degrees below zero but that 2nd game was garbage.

Defense was bad that game and the OL got dominated. Also we shouldn't have played Lynch, he wasn't in sync with the offense, which was evident in the pick six Kuechly got. Russ didn't play well either, Def remember him overthrowing Baldwin on what would be a surefire TD.

Also, if he plays that well the entire season, we win enough games to get a bye and that is huge for playoff success.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sort of skimmed through this and my take is a pretty reasonable, logical one: They don't know what is going to happen 2 years from now. They may have an idea, but nothing is guaranteed. Don't get too weird about stuff. For the millionth time, even the Pats have continually drafted QBs. They've ended up trading them all, but they've always had a plan B. It's just plain smart. If you're a GM, the one thing you can't act like is a fanatic.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2qqr00bo said:
Sort of skimmed through this and my take is a pretty reasonable, logical one: They don't know what is going to happen 2 years from now. They may have an idea, but nothing is guaranteed. Don't get too weird about stuff. For the millionth time, even the Pats have continually drafted QBs. They've ended up trading them all, but they've always had a plan B. It's just plain smart. If you're a GM, the one thing you can't act like is a fanatic.

Except the Pats don't trade up to top 5 or so to get that back up prospect., they trade down and back or give up a player and scoop up draft picks.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":2zl6se2e said:
vin.couve12":2zl6se2e said:

Except the Pats don't trade up to top 5 or so to get that back up prospect., they trade down and back or give up a player and scoop up draft picks.
I don’t think they're going to pick high. It's a ruse.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If any of these new guys bust and get cut or become available for cheap trade, JS/PC now have a nice scouting report on them.

Think Dion Jordan/Marcus Smith.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Cousins - 28 million APY
Carr - 25 million APY
Smith - 23 million APY
Bradford/Tannehill/Keenum about 20 million APY.

Wilson isn’t making less than 30 on his next contract. If we wait until next year, the real blockbuster contracts of Rodgers, Roeth, Manning, Rivers, Ryan, Brady, Wentz may drive that price well above the 30 million mark.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ducks41468":29pt59on said:
Hawkscanner":29pt59on said:

All this talk about the Seahawks looking to trade Russell Wilson, move on from him, etc.? No way.

You know what I think this is truly all about? Knowing Schneider and Carroll (as much as any fan can possibly know those guys), I'd say this interest in scouting a QB is about 2 basic things:

1) It's about ALWAYS COMPETE. What is it that Pete Carroll is all about? What is it that he always says? What is it that he has preached from the very beginning (and has never changed)? ALWAYS COMPETE. Creating competition is literally part of Pete Carroll's DNA. It's who he is. It's what he does. And each and every year (in theory) there is competition for each and every spot on the field. They want guys who can push starters for jobs each and every year. They do not want to bring in guys who have the mentality of, "Oh man, I get the chance to play with Earl Thomas." NO -- they want guys with the mentality of, "I get the chance to compete with Earl Thomas for the starting FS job." Realistic or not, that's the mindset. And that competition mindset has been present year in and year out since Pete got here. Since 2012, one can argue that competition has existed for each and every position except one -- quarterback. This is about finding someone who potentially has the talent who could literally compete for Russell Wilson's job. That's good for the Seahawks ... and that's good for Russell Wilson, as it makes him the best he can be.

2) It's about the Green Bay Way. Seriously, recall your history folks. This is how they do business in Green Bay -- it's how they always have done business since Ron Wolf. They are always looking to draft and groom QB's for the future -- either to groom as potential successors ... OR to trade eventually for draft capital. Think about it. How did we get Matt Hasselbeck? It's because Green Bay drafted him in the 6th Round on the 1998 draft ... and then traded him to us 3 years later. They got a nice little haul from that move (moved up 7 spots in the 1st round and netted a 3rd round choice). How about Aaron Rodgers? Green Bay drafted him at the tail end of the 1st Round in 2005 ... and he sat behind Brett Favre before eventually succeeding him in 2008. John Schneider was there throughout all of this. He was steeped in it. Personally, I think it's bothered him for a long time that he's never found a guy in the draft whom he felt could be either:
A] Potential Draft Capital for Seattle that they could look to later trade. AND/OR
B] A guy who could be legitimate competition for Russell Wilson (or his eventual successor should he decide to eventually move on). Sure would be nice to have a back-up whom you feel good about who can actually come in and win a game.

Personally, I'd say that this isn't news -- it's what Carroll and Schneider have always, always wanted.

I would be highly, highly shocked if all of this scouting of QB prospects is about anything other than that.

I have no problem with drafting competition or a successor, but that needs to be done in the middle/later rounds. To get Allen you'd have to trade into the top 5-7, which, besides costing us an arm and a leg, would also be a clear signal to Wilson that he's on his way out. You don't trade up and use a top 10 pick on a guy who's gonna sit on the bench for 4 years. Hell, Wilson himself might be the cost of acquiring the pick.

Not to mention Allen is an incredibly risky prospect and has a high likelihood of being Osweiler 2.0. At least go after Rosen if you're gonna blow it all to hell.
Rosen would be a horrible pick. The guy seems disinterested at times and doesn’t seem to love the game. Go back and read what his college coach said about him.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":sukjp41n said:
ducks41468":sukjp41n said:
Hawkscanner":sukjp41n said:

Rosen would be a horrible pick. The guy seems disinterested at times and doesn’t seem to love the game. Go back and read what his college coach said about him.

You mean the great Jim Mora, who runs every team he coaches straight into the ground? I'd consider his words high praise coming from a jackass like him.