John Schnieder Scouting QB Draft Pick Prospect

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ducks41468":15xiyomj said:
Sports Hernia":15xiyomj said:
ducks41468":15xiyomj said:
Hawkscanner":15xiyomj said:
Oh Brother. :roll:

All this talk about the Seahawks looking to trade Russell Wilson, move on from him, etc.? No way.

You know what I think this is truly all about? Knowing Schneider and Carroll (as much as any fan can possibly know those guys), I'd say this interest in scouting a QB is about 2 basic things:

1) It's about ALWAYS COMPETE. What is it that Pete Carroll is all about? What is it that he always says? What is it that he has preached from the very beginning (and has never changed)? ALWAYS COMPETE. Creating competition is literally part of Pete Carroll's DNA. It's who he is. It's what he does. And each and every year (in theory) there is competition for each and every spot on the field. They want guys who can push starters for jobs each and every year. They do not want to bring in guys who have the mentality of, "Oh man, I get the chance to play with Earl Thomas." NO -- they want guys with the mentality of, "I get the chance to compete with Earl Thomas for the starting FS job." Realistic or not, that's the mindset. And that competition mindset has been present year in and year out since Pete got here. Since 2012, one can argue that competition has existed for each and every position except one -- quarterback. This is about finding someone who potentially has the talent who could literally compete for Russell Wilson's job. That's good for the Seahawks ... and that's good for Russell Wilson, as it makes him the best he can be.

2) It's about the Green Bay Way. Seriously, recall your history folks. This is how they do business in Green Bay -- it's how they always have done business since Ron Wolf. They are always looking to draft and groom QB's for the future -- either to groom as potential successors ... OR to trade eventually for draft capital. Think about it. How did we get Matt Hasselbeck? It's because Green Bay drafted him in the 6th Round on the 1998 draft ... and then traded him to us 3 years later. They got a nice little haul from that move (moved up 7 spots in the 1st round and netted a 3rd round choice). How about Aaron Rodgers? Green Bay drafted him at the tail end of the 1st Round in 2005 ... and he sat behind Brett Favre before eventually succeeding him in 2008. John Schneider was there throughout all of this. He was steeped in it. Personally, I think it's bothered him for a long time that he's never found a guy in the draft whom he felt could be either:
A] Potential Draft Capital for Seattle that they could look to later trade. AND/OR
B] A guy who could be legitimate competition for Russell Wilson (or his eventual successor should he decide to eventually move on). Sure would be nice to have a back-up whom you feel good about who can actually come in and win a game.

Personally, I'd say that this isn't news -- it's what Carroll and Schneider have always, always wanted.

I would be highly, highly shocked if all of this scouting of QB prospects is about anything other than that.

I have no problem with drafting competition or a successor, but that needs to be done in the middle/later rounds. To get Allen you'd have to trade into the top 5-7, which, besides costing us an arm and a leg, would also be a clear signal to Wilson that he's on his way out. You don't trade up and use a top 10 pick on a guy who's gonna sit on the bench for 4 years. Hell, Wilson himself might be the cost of acquiring the pick.

Not to mention Allen is an incredibly risky prospect and has a high likelihood of being Osweiler 2.0. At least go after Rosen if you're gonna blow it all to hell.
Rosen would be a horrible pick. The guy seems disinterested at times and doesn’t seem to love the game. Go back and read what his college coach said about him.

You mean the great Jim Mora, who runs every team he coaches straight into the ground? I'd consider his words high praise coming from a jackass like him.
I agree Mora is an asshat, but his comments about Rosen are still very telling.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
ducks41468":2f75ygiq said:
Hawkscanner":2f75ygiq said:
Oh Brother. :roll:

All this talk about the Seahawks looking to trade Russell Wilson, move on from him, etc.? No way.

You know what I think this is truly all about? Knowing Schneider and Carroll (as much as any fan can possibly know those guys), I'd say this interest in scouting a QB is about 2 basic things:

1) It's about ALWAYS COMPETE. What is it that Pete Carroll is all about? What is it that he always says? What is it that he has preached from the very beginning (and has never changed)? ALWAYS COMPETE. Creating competition is literally part of Pete Carroll's DNA. It's who he is. It's what he does. And each and every year (in theory) there is competition for each and every spot on the field. They want guys who can push starters for jobs each and every year. They do not want to bring in guys who have the mentality of, "Oh man, I get the chance to play with Earl Thomas." NO -- they want guys with the mentality of, "I get the chance to compete with Earl Thomas for the starting FS job." Realistic or not, that's the mindset. And that competition mindset has been present year in and year out since Pete got here. Since 2012, one can argue that competition has existed for each and every position except one -- quarterback. This is about finding someone who potentially has the talent who could literally compete for Russell Wilson's job. That's good for the Seahawks ... and that's good for Russell Wilson, as it makes him the best he can be.

2) It's about the Green Bay Way. Seriously, recall your history folks. This is how they do business in Green Bay -- it's how they always have done business since Ron Wolf. They are always looking to draft and groom QB's for the future -- either to groom as potential successors ... OR to trade eventually for draft capital. Think about it. How did we get Matt Hasselbeck? It's because Green Bay drafted him in the 6th Round on the 1998 draft ... and then traded him to us 3 years later. They got a nice little haul from that move (moved up 7 spots in the 1st round and netted a 3rd round choice). How about Aaron Rodgers? Green Bay drafted him at the tail end of the 1st Round in 2005 ... and he sat behind Brett Favre before eventually succeeding him in 2008. John Schneider was there throughout all of this. He was steeped in it. Personally, I think it's bothered him for a long time that he's never found a guy in the draft whom he felt could be either:
A] Potential Draft Capital for Seattle that they could look to later trade. AND/OR
B] A guy who could be legitimate competition for Russell Wilson (or his eventual successor should he decide to eventually move on). Sure would be nice to have a back-up whom you feel good about who can actually come in and win a game.

Personally, I'd say that this isn't news -- it's what Carroll and Schneider have always, always wanted.

I would be highly, highly shocked if all of this scouting of QB prospects is about anything other than that.

I have no problem with drafting competition or a successor, but that needs to be done in the middle/later rounds. To get Allen you'd have to trade into the top 5-7, which, besides costing us an arm and a leg, would also be a clear signal to Wilson that he's on his way out. You don't trade up and use a top 10 pick on a guy who's gonna sit on the bench for 4 years. Hell, Wilson himself might be the cost of acquiring the pick.

Not to mention Allen is an incredibly risky prospect and has a high likelihood of being Osweiler 2.0. At least go after Rosen if you're gonna blow it all to hell.

Oh I agree on Allen. Here's what I call this though -- it's called Due Diligence. Seriously, why are people all shocked and worked up about this? Do they not know John Schneider or something? He said who he was from his very first press conference ever ... and he's never waivered [I'm paraphrasing here], "We're going to be everywhere and in on everything." That's never ever changed. John Schneider and the Seahawks have not only scouted Allen ... they've scouted each and every single one of the 300+ (or so) prospects that are in this draft class. All of the QB's ... all of the DB's ... all of the RB's ... all of the OL ... etc. It just floors me how people somehow think this is so unusual. It's not unusual whatsoever. They've scouted everyone, be they Draft Prospect or Free Agent. This is just business as usual IMO -- same as it's always been.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If that is the case, they are idiots.

You have a limited amount of time, resources and mind space.

There are other prospects that the Seahawks have ACTUAL chances at getting that deserve better scrutiny - considering the abysmal success rate of the Seahawks drafts in the past few years. (I don't agree that last year was that stellar a draft, I consider it average...it just looks stellar in comparison to the other crappy years).

There will be players in the lower rounds that end up turning into All Pros. The goal needs to be finding them. Not scouting a QB that we have little to no chance at.

If it really is about 'knowing everything' or some weird philosophy like that - then they are morons. Let us hope not. Because if you take the years without Scott, JS does not have a stellar success rate. Maybe crap like this is the reason why?

If I am Wilson, I am pissed, not because of me being threatened - but because they are wasting time on someone they won't get and therefore not spending time on weeding through to find players that could actually help me on the field.

So it better be they are scouting someone else, because even as a smokescreen it would be stupid. Way too many hours wasted by someone that isn't exactly putting together the results to justify giving him this much rope to do what he wants.

chris98251

Reaction score
Were not interested in Allen really, it's what teams do to throw off scents, which other player at the work out catching passes that was not in the article would they be interested in would be my biggest question.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
RCATES":3o8ijmaj said:
austinslater25":3o8ijmaj said:
RCATES":3o8ijmaj said:
My opinion of RW which may not be popular around here is actually shared by many outside of Seattle as well as the front office. RW has peaked and is not leading this team to another SB. Its time to move on.

This take is about as bad as it gets. Actually outside of Seattle Russ is considered a top 5 elite QB who is capable of winning multiple super bowls in his future. He led the league in TD's playing behind a terrible line, historical bad running game and a system that isnt conducive to QB numbers. There is literally no one around the league that holds your position. If its "people outside of Seattle" its social media arm chair experts. Cowherd, who I'm not a fan of, recently did a segment on how great Russell is and how the league knows it yet the average fan is still slow to jump on board. But I would love to hear your sources on how the front office has soured on Russ and thinks he can't get back to a SB......

Keep living in la la land. I could share tons of stories and article's of ex teammates of RW saying he wasn't that good and even numerous situations where current and now ex Seahawk's didn't like the praise RW was getting even while playing poorly. Not being held to the same standard. I guess in your world that doesn't mean anything. Just like JS scouting hard the last two years for a QB. It all points to the same exact thing. RW just isn't as good as some of you Homers cast him to be. Its not a bad take on my part. The opinions of players as well as the recent activity by JS clearly supports my take.

then post the quotes.