Just draft Kevin King in the 1st

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":rz2kjb0y said:
JumpmanXhawk":rz2kjb0y said:
Drafting a measurables/combine guy is never a good idea.

You're joking right?

This entire roster is built on measurables guys. All the way through rounds 1 through 8. Every year. Schneider comes from the Wolf tree of GMs, who came from Al Davis. It's the absolute foundation of our player acquisition model. If there were three rules regarding who to draft, rule one would be take elite athletes. Two and three would be refer to rule one.

The only one I can remember that was taken or even signed as a FA that wasn't was Joey Hunt last year.

Obviously there is more to it than just testing. But if you aren't either athletic or have a unique physical profile, you aren't getting drafted by Seattle at any point in the process. Not even in UDFA.

So overdrafting someone based off combine is a good idea?

Jarvis Landry dropped because of a poor combine, but he's a first round talent all day long. The tape showed that, my point is tape SHOULD superced combine numbers.

Not saying it didn't work for us, but generally drafting based off the combine is a bad idea when the tape doesn't back it. Example Breshard Perriman and Phillip Dorsett ARE NOT 1st round talents but got overdrafted do to fast combine times.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I like King but if his combine pushed him into the first round I hope somebody else bites on him. I got at least 5 corners ahead of him. He's got a high ceiling but a low floor too but I'd be much happier seeing him late in the 2nd or 3rd. The way his combine went those 3rd round dreams are all but dashed now. I hope by some miracle Jones drops to us.

Tical21

Reaction score
flmmkrz":879u86wf said:
I like King but if his combine pushed him into the first round I hope somebody else bites on him. I got at least 5 corners ahead of him. He's got a high ceiling but a low floor too but I'd be much happier seeing him late in the 2nd or 3rd. The way his combine went those 3rd round dreams are all but dashed now. I hope by some miracle Jones drops to us.
FWIW, there might be 5 corners going in the first 25.

Tical21

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":xe02sqb1 said:
Tical21":xe02sqb1 said:
He's not a first round talent. .

His combine results disagree with you.
Yeah but his tape doesn't. He doesn't play with the confidence or agressiveness to have an elite ceiling. I want the kid, but there are enough studs on defense in this draft that you have a legit shot at a pro bowl caliber player, and I don't think he will ever be in one. I've been saying for two years now that he is the one Husky I had hoped we end up with, but that was when we had Shead healthy and King was a projected 3rd-5th rounder. I think in the first we really are desperate for an impactfull difference maker, and I don't think thats him.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Tical21":12j94zdx said:
ImTheScientist":12j94zdx said:
Tical21":12j94zdx said:

Yeah but his tape doesn't. He doesn't play with the confidence or agressiveness to have an elite ceiling. I want the kid, but there are enough studs on defense in this draft that you have a legit shot at a pro bowl caliber player, and I don't think he will ever be in one. I've been saying for two years now that he is the one Husky I had hoped we end up with, but that was when we had Shead healthy and King was a projected 3rd-5th rounder. I think in the first we really are desperate for an impactfull difference maker, and I don't think thats him.

I don't disagree. But--he would be a Seahawk-y pick. His combo of length and quickness are special/rare. As is his ability to turn his head around and make a play on the ball. Pete loves those traits.

The problem is the league has followed suit, I don't think you get that guy in the 4th-7th round anymore.

Mojambo

Reaction score
In the second, or more preferably the third round, hell yes.

I don't think he's a 1st rounder. Not this year. Not in this draft.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tical21":3s1jx9ln said:
ImTheScientist":3s1jx9ln said:
Tical21":3s1jx9ln said:

TAPE is over rated as is the combine.

We've seen many a touted college folks bust in the NFL. The Hawks are going to get an impact SAM first and foremost. Then D-Line, then CB/S in any order.

cover-2

Reaction score
Kevin King's tape is better than what Richard Sherman had coming out of Stanford. King is a better athlete than Sherman. If teams were to redo the draft in the year Sherman came out, then Sherman would have been a top-10 pick. You can find flaws, or nit pick any prospect, or find some plays in their game tape and say "see he got beat here". For me King has proven to be a 1st round CB.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd be fine with King I don't think the Simon comparison holds any water. King has starting talent and played with Jones so some of Jones must have washed off on him and jones could be the best CB in this draft.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1qgsua8y said:
I'd be fine with King I don't think the Simon comparison holds any water. King has starting talent and played with Jones so some of Jones must have washed off on him and jones could be the best CB in this draft.
Now that Sidney Jones has just sustained an injury, and in all probability, be moved out of the 1st Round, is there now a possibility King moves up the scale, and maybe out of reach for us?

CPHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ai5v4b5 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1ai5v4b5 said:
Now that Sidney Jones has just sustained an injury, and in all probability, be moved out of the 1st Round, is there now a possibility King moves up the scale, and maybe out of reach for us?

Torn Achilles

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seafan":3o0pzmpa said:
Take Baker in first and Jones in 6th.
Jones is not gonna free fall to round 6.

Too talented and the ceiling is too high.

A team that is smart and has a good system will stash him, rehabilitate him, and then turn him into a pro bowler!

I'm starting to think the Patriots might take a chance on him.

getnasty

Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah just mocked King to us in the 1st round on NFL Network. Make it so