JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Considering Seattle is going to draft at #16 this may be a viable option for the Seahawks next QB.

His numbers may not jump off the page but that's because Harbaugh didn't fully weaponize him like other programs would have. He's got 4.5 speed and a reliable arm and went 240/332 (72.3%) and 2991 passing yards with a passer rating of 167.4 and 200 rushing yards.

That puts him at a higher passer rating than Penix and more rushing yards. I get Penix's sample size is larger (4903 passing yards) but it still goes to show he's a solid QB that doesn't have gaudy numbers and might fall to the 16th selection without having to give up draft capital.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
He could use another year of play. This saddens me.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He could use another year of play. This saddens me.
View attachment 63417

Please do not draft him at all, let alone with a 1st rd pick.
ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. ranks McCarthy (6-foot-3, 202 pounds) as the No. 5 quarterback available in the draft. ESPN's Jordan Reid projected McCarthy to be selected with the No. 12 pick of the first round in his latest mock draft.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nfl-draft-where-does-130011662.html

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I don't think he'll ever do anything in the NFL. But even if I'm wrong, why would you spend a 1st rounder on a QB who most teams will tag as a 3rd or 4th rounder?
Have you even looked at recent mock drafts. Most are showing McCarthy as a first rounder. Are all Husky fans butt hurt angry at Michigan?

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's absurd you think McCarthy is a 3rd string QB and shows your NFL ignorance and/or your Michigan bias.
I have zero Michigan bias. It’s absurd you watched him this year and think he’s a first round pick, who should start for your Seahawks. I ONLY want the best qb for Seattle. I don’t care where he is from.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
It's absurd you think McCarthy is a 3rd string QB and shows your NFL ignorance and/or your Michigan bias.
So do you believe he's NFL starting material for any NFL team? Honest question. If you're using Mel Kiper as confirmation of his draft positioning...well, we know how Kiper has fared in the past with many of his picks. Same for mock drafts at this stage, prior to the combine...we have seen how measurables/workouts can change position boards quite a bit from January to April. With Seattle, he would not be coming to a team with the best defense in the league or one of the best O-lines/run systems like he had in Michigan, so that is something to factor in I would think.

Also, one could ask if you had any Michigan bias in these comments as well. I'm open to hearing what fans of other teams see in their teams, because they typically see little details that the average fan doesn't, but I'm typically analytical and don't post from a position of emotion (most of the time anyway). I could see, however, if some may take your comments with a small pinch of salt, given your college allegiance.

Overall, I think he was a solid college QB who thrived in the system that he was surrounded in. If he was to go to the right NFL team that had a similar framework (say the 49ers) he would probably do well. I don't think Seattle is a team that currently meets those conditions, however. So I personally would not spend a 1st rounder at this stage for a player that may struggle to make plays within our current offense, but maybe our new OC (whomever that may be) would see something differently?

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Then how do you explain Mel Kiper listing him at #23 or Jordan Reid listing him at #12?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
So do you believe he's NFL starting material for any NFL team? Honest question. If you're using Mel Kiper as confirmation of his draft positioning...well, we know how Kiper has fared in the past with many of his picks. Same for mock drafts at this stage, prior to the combine...we have seen how measurables/workouts can change position boards quite a bit from January to April. With Seattle, he would not be coming to a team with the best defense in the league or one of the best O-lines/run systems like he had in Michigan, so that is something to factor in I would think.

Also, one could ask if you had any Michigan bias in these comments as well. I'm open to hearing what fans of other teams see in their teams, because they typically see little details that the average fan doesn't, but I'm typically analytical and don't post from a position of emotion (most of the time anyway). I could see, however, if some may take your comments with a small pinch of salt, given your college allegiance.

Overall, I think he was a solid college QB who thrived in the system that he was surrounded in. If he was to go to the right NFL team that had a similar framework (say the 49ers) he would probably do well. I don't think Seattle is a team that currently meets those conditions, however. So I personally would not spend a 1st rounder at this stage for a player that may struggle to make plays within our current offense, but maybe our new OC (whomever that may be) would see something differently
i didn't just reference Mel Kiper as my reasoning that he's a legitimate first round draft choice. Jordan Reid also has him going #12, as I stated in my OP.

I am not a fan of another NFL team, I'm a Seahawks fan and have been since the day I moved from Ann Arbor to Seattle in August of 1993.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
i didn't just reference Mel Kiper as my reasoning that he's a legitimate first round draft choice. Jordan Reid also has him going #12, as I stated in my OP.

I am not a fan of another NFL team, I'm a Seahawks fan and have been since the day I moved from Ann Arbor to Seattle in August of 1993.
I was speaking to your college fandom; my apologies for not making that more clear. And I read your OP and responded; apparently it wasn't what you were looking for (or wanting to discuss). Wish JJ the best of luck with whatever team ends up drafting him and will back him of course if he ends up in Seattle.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I have no horse in this race at all either way, but it would be hilariously ironic if Seattle drafted him and he turned out to be a stud for the team.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I was speaking to your college fandom; my apologies for not making that more clear. And I read your OP and responded; apparently it wasn't what you were looking for (or wanting to discuss). Wish JJ the best of luck with whatever team ends up drafting him and will back him of course if he ends up in Seattle.
The reason I stated what I did was your first sentence refers to Kiper but says nothing about Reid which made me think you didn't read my whole post. I also linked another article from USA today that talks about why McCarthy and Davis' stock is rising so quickly on mock drafts.

To answer your questions, yes I do think JJ's skills translate to the NFL. He can run and he's an accurate thrower and can throw the deep ball. Although he's had a very good offensive line that doesn't mean he can't handle a pash rush. He's intelligent and creative when he needs to be. So yes I think he'll have a very good career in the NFL. I think people don't see the gaudy numbers and assume he's pedestrian. His numbers are more a product of the system he was in at Michigan than his skills as a QB.