JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

GemCity

Reaction score
Jj will almost certainly go in the top 12, which is a shame, because he'll likely be thrust into the starting role before he's ready. He would be an ideal fit with the Hawks, where he could sit for a year and develop. It won't happen, but it's fun to think about nonetheless.
I was thinking there was a slight chance but, after they picked up Howell….I thought otherwise.

Something crazy could still happen…a Geno trade with Howell taking over the starting role. JS and MM move up to snag their guy.

Highly unlikely.

If they were going that route, I doubt JJ would be the target.

I think he could definitely benefit by sitting back a year or two. I guess you could say that about all rookie QBs. Imo, Geno would be a perfect guy to sit behind. His game is very fundamental in comparison to some of the leagues starting QBs.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Agree to disagree with almost this whole response. Now JJ isn't accurate 72% comp doesn't just happen. JJ is all the athlete that Brock Purdy is right now. Have to ask, have you been drinking? JJ now isn't athletic or agile? That just shows your strong dislike for the kid, starting to cloud your judgement. JJ is the 3rd most athletic QB in the draft behind Daniels & Milton, and they are freaks.
I appreciate your efforts 12fl. Problem is, SH thinks that anyone who disagrees with him is bad debater or a homer. He rejects the opinions of any "expert" that disagrees with him. I throw out opinions from Klatt, Simms and Huard and he comes back with they don't know squat, they're just talking heads. I provide articles that talk about the specifics of why McCarthy is good enough to get drafted first round and he rejects them out of hand. Doesn't give specifics just denigrates the authors. He then calls me names. These are the tactics of someone who has lost a debate.

I'd be better off punching myself in the groin then doing that anymore.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Well that at least wouldn't hurt.

How could I possibly have a different opinion when Klatt, Simms and Huard all agree that JJ is the second coming? I totally haven't said anything specific or shared game film or even suggested things I liked. I'm just an angry hater and you're a brilliant analyst and not at all a homer baby who can't understand why someone doesn't love his little boy toy.

Stick to sharing football opinions, not whining like a little bitch.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I wouldn't be comfortable starting a guy year one, who has less than 30 starts (college) under his belt. McCarthy has 28. The success rate is about 20% for guys under 30. Fwiw, I have the same issue with Maye (26). I wouldn't start either guy. Both will be overdrafted because of the demand for the position. It's no different for offensive lineman. Especially Tackles. Teams reach all the time for both.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I appreciate your efforts 12fl. Problem is, SH thinks that anyone who disagrees with him is bad debater or a homer. He rejects the opinions of any "expert" that disagrees with him. I throw out opinions from Klatt, Simms and Huard and he comes back with they don't know squat, they're just talking heads. I provide articles that talk about the specifics of why McCarthy is good enough to get drafted first round and he rejects them out of hand. Doesn't give specifics just denigrates the authors. He then calls me names. These are the tactics of someone who has lost a debate.

I'd be better off punching myself in the groin then doing that anymore.
Come on man, same team.

Let's just talk football. You got your digs in, cool, I'm good with it and probably deserved it. People can agree to disagree on stuff. It's gonna' be ok. You're taking this stuff way too seriously.
And I absolutely think McCarthy is going 1st round. Have for a long time. And so is Penix. You like your QB, I like mine. It's not really some huge surprise and it's certainly nothing to get all worked up about. ✌️

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Come on man, same team.

Let's just talk football. You got your digs in, cool, I'm good with it and probably deserved it. People can agree to disagree on stuff. It's gonna' be ok. You're taking this stuff way too seriously.
And I absolutely think McCarthy is going 1st round. Have for a long time.
You are the last person that should be talking like that as you are the worst at it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah. I thought he was talking to me, I saw SH. Sorry Wolv, I clearly am getting old. I'm laughing at myself right now. I'm like.......I never said that stuff about McCarthy :ROFLMAO:

Peace

side note, sticks and stones Jayhawk. I'm not doing that crap anymore. Here to talk football, be chill and not get kicked off the site.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Nah. I thought he was talking to me, I saw SH. Sorry Wolv, I clearly am getting old. I'm laughing at myself right now. I'm like.......I never said that stuff about McCarthy :ROFLMAO:

Peace

side note, sticks and stones Jayhawk. I'm not doing that crap anymore. Here to talk football, be chill and not get kicked off the site.
SonicHawk has been having a near-on coniption for pages if someone dare suggest McCarthy deserves to be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I’ve been arguing my opinion. My opinion based on detailed every down type observations. I’m not a professional scout nor can I predict the future. I think he’s not an early rounder. I also agree with the statement that if a team believes he’s the qbotf that he’s worth whatever pick they get him at. I’m allowed to have the opinion regardless of talking heads opinions.

If someone’s argument I believe is based on less information and more hype or more homerism I’m allowed to disagree with that opinion as such. I have shared more stats and every down game film than anyone else in this thread. If the response to my opinion is hot air, I am allowed to respond calling it as such.

I accept my opinion, even if JJ turns out to struggle early, is not correct. It will be nearly coincidental if I, or anyone else, is correct.

My opinion on JJ has actually shifted quite a bit since this thread started. I’ve watched so much more tape. That’s why I enjoy these threads. I’ve found things I really like about him and been able to be more specific about what he needs to improve on.

But debating on any topic requires respect. Rarely did I get responses to my very specific comments and tape. Feel free to go through this thread and see how little responses my more detailed posts got.

And now we’re just at the point where posters think they’re in the cool guy group of shitting on another forum member. It’s childish nonsense.

Let’s get back to football.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go back and look at what they said about Mac Jones before the draft. Almost same kind of stuff.

There is this belief that QBs from the winning schools have this magical power that isn't evident yet. It is why the Rams still have that kid from Georgia. Who is a backup and probably will be nothing more.

Mac was getting plenty of shine before the draft and people were talking about the 49ers drafting him instead, for what seemed like good reasons. But he was a QB that was pretty damn raw, with some clear problems with upside.

JJ looks very similar. Athletic, but doesn't do much beyond the 1st read. Not tremendous accuracy and sometimes the ball isn't consistently delivered. Luckily, he rarely had to carry a team...because he probably couldn't if he had to.

(Honestly, the only reason we are talking about him is because his defense stopped Milroe at the GL. Not a great reason to spend a 1st on someone. )

JJ will probably be a damned good backup. But I feel sorry for any team that wastes a 1st on him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He seems like a good enough kid, hopefully he does well. I don't follow Michigan football enough to have a huge opinion either way. Sounding more and more like he's going top 10. It happens, guys rise the last month before the draft. We've seen it a lot. I think Penix gets massively overlooked, but I've been down that rabbit hole enough times.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Come on man, same team.

And I absolutely think McCarthy is going 1st round. Have for a long time. And so is Penix. You like your QB, I like mine. It's not really some huge surprise and it's certainly nothing to get all worked up about. ✌️
My apologies for the confusion. SH refers to SonicHawk not SoulfishHawk (SFH). We good, I appreciated most of your takes.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yup. I've brought much of it on myself, so just working on just chillin' and enjoying the site, talking football and maybe some fun razzing back and forth.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Go back and look at what they said about Mac Jones before the draft. Almost same kind of stuff.

There is this belief that QBs from the winning schools have this magical power that isn't evident yet. It is why the Rams still have that kid from Georgia. Who is a backup and probably will be nothing more.

Mac was getting plenty of shine before the draft and people were talking about the 49ers drafting him instead, for what seemed like good reasons. But he was a QB that was pretty damn raw, with some clear problems with upside.

JJ looks very similar. Athletic, but doesn't do much beyond the 1st read. Not tremendous accuracy and sometimes the ball isn't consistently delivered. Luckily, he rarely had to carry a team...because he probably couldn't if he had to.

(Honestly, the only reason we are talking about him is because his defense stopped Milroe at the GL. Not a great reason to spend a 1st on someone. )

JJ will probably be a damned good backup. But I feel sorry for any team that wastes a 1st on him.
This take suggests you haven't read any of the articles linked in this thread or watched any of the analysis videos from people like Joel Klatt. This idea that he isn't accurate is not true. He had a 72.3% completion rate. Did you see his pro day video?

As for being a backup, that could be true with any of the QB's in this year's draft. No one really knows for sure. But...

Joel Klatt: "JJ McCarthy is going to be a really good NFL Quarterback..."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As long as he doesn't go to a team I hate, I hope he tears it up. And I know you'll be shocked at this, I'm pulling for Penix too.
Shoot, it seems like Penix and BO and 3 are the guys getting the least hype. Kind of surprises me when you look at their body of work.