Just watched the All 22 Hawks/Panthers again

pehawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3p3o7bj5 said:
pehawk":3p3o7bj5 said:
Sarlacc83":3p3o7bj5 said:
Thanks EZ.

Does anyone know if that's the last time we ran the Marshawn slant? I don't remember seeing it again afterwards.

One against Denver was a slant. That play wasn't really a slant, it was a pick play.

A real headscratcher. Running a pick play to a RB? Expecting a RB to catch a ball, off a pick, in traffic?

Yes, I criticized the play call that week too. Yes, even after a win.

But, in Bevells defense that was close to the Percy departure.

Thought he had a slant catch against GB in week 1 for a TD. It was a go to for a while.

I think you're right, I was speaking to the last time they ran that play. Which IIRC, was Denver.

The Panthers attempt had Prich picking Lynch's defender. Its just a tough play for any RB to make.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":1xhkmqy8 said:
Sarlacc83":1xhkmqy8 said:
pehawk":1xhkmqy8 said:
Sarlacc83":1xhkmqy8 said:
Thanks EZ.

Does anyone know if that's the last time we ran the Marshawn slant? I don't remember seeing it again afterwards.

One against Denver was a slant. That play wasn't really a slant, it was a pick play.

A real headscratcher. Running a pick play to a RB? Expecting a RB to catch a ball, off a pick, in traffic?

Yes, I criticized the play call that week too. Yes, even after a win.

But, in Bevells defense that was close to the Percy departure.

Thought he had a slant catch against GB in week 1 for a TD. It was a go to for a while.

I think you're right, I was speaking to the last time they ran that play. Which IIRC, was Denver.

The Panthers attempt had Prich picking Lynch's defender. Its just a tough play for any RB to make.

Gotcha. I originally missed the subject switch in the first line, too.

panthers4life

Reaction score
Good write up with exception that you point out all of the Seahawks missed opportunities and none of the Panthers. If the following three drives were on Seattle's chart you would call them missed opportunities...

11 plays 58 yards FG from 13
13 plays 46 yards FG from 8 (Had 1st & Goal from the 3)
11 plays 66 yards, Fumble on opponents 14 yard line

These were all Carolina drives, and I call them missed opportunities as well, so we agree on that definition, just not your omission, in what looked like an honest effort to post without bias.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Good writeup, though I don't think a game in Carolina a couple months ago will really have anything to do with Saturday's game. Just for recent evidence, look to last year where we murdered SF and New Orleans in the reg season, and both playoff games ended up coming down to us needing a stop on the final possession

FargoHawk

Reaction score
panthers4life":1tipzfbm said:
Good write up with exception that you point out all of the Seahawks missed opportunities and none of the Panthers. If the following three drives were on Seattle's chart you would call them missed opportunities...

11 plays 58 yards FG from 13
13 plays 46 yards FG from 8 (Had 1st & Goal from the 3)
11 plays 66 yards, Fumble on opponents 14 yard line

These were all Carolina drives, and I call them missed opportunities as well, so we agree on that definition, just not your omission, in what looked like an honest effort to post without bias.

Incorrect. He is pointing out specific plays that should have resulted in points but didn't. You are just listing drives that resulted in FGs rather than TDs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
endzorn":42ty3b8a said:
One thing I forgot to add was that Carpenter left early in the game and was replaced by Bailey at LG and I thought Bailey did a solid job of getting to the second level with run blocks, but he isn't the same drive blocker that Carpenter shows. Carpenter isn't very good as a pass blocker in known passing situations, but Bailey held his own. Carps only value in the passing game comes from play action because he looks too heavy to handle the quicker rushers in four and five wide or third and long.

Good observation. I saw Carpenter get abused in the Rams game by Donald. Donald might be the quickest interior DLman in the league (aside from guys like Bennett that rotate inside). On one play, Carp was blocking down towards the Tackle; his assignment was to drive Donald to the outside. Donald literally just threw him down and hit Lynch for a loss.

Donald did the same thing to him on a pass play that ended up in a sack. Carpenter just isn't that athletic, but if he gets his mitts on you, you're toast.

So, I'm forgetting..but, doesn't Short line up against Carpenter while Lotuleilei is on Sweezy's side ? I ask because Carpenter just might seriously abuse Star's backup.

Having Unger back will be huge, as well as Kam being healthy. Richardson isn't even the same receiver, while the Panthers haven't ever seen Norwood. They might match up well against us on the run (although I think we run on them now that Lotuleilei is out) but if we can hit a few passes on them, that defense will end up being on it's heels. The secondary is the weak link for them.

pehawk

Reaction score
Carp owns Justin Smith because Mr Smith is all about power. Pretty much Carp will own anyone in the run game that's NOT a freakish top 10 overall type pick. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the Panthers have another Star lying around.

Also, a case could be made that Donald was the best pure interior guy in the league this year. I don't hold his abuse of Carp against Carp. Carp will figure something out eventually.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":324eb50e said:
Carp owns Justin Smith because Mr Smith is all about power. Pretty much Carp will own anyone in the run game that's NOT a freakish top 10 overall type pick. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the Panthers have another Star lying around.

Also, a case could be made that Donald was the best pure interior guy in the league this year. I don't hold his abuse of Carp against Carp. Carp will figure something out eventually.
Cole has the lateral agility of a train, so Carp will be just fine, until they lien short up over him. Carp will never, and I mean NEVER, slow Donald. Though not many guards will.

EZ, I love this kind of homework. It adds to the substance of this board, when the emos would post about momentum, house money, and trends.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":923cgqjq said:
pehawk":923cgqjq said:

Cole has the lateral agility of a train, so Carp will be just fine, until they lien short up over him. Carp will never, and I mean NEVER, slow Donald. Though not many guards will.

EZ, I love this kind of homework. It adds to the substance of this board, when the emos would post about momentum, house money, and trends.

EZ brings it. This is good shit. Plus, we swapped texts one gameday...about the game and...well...lets just say EZ could model diapers.

For momentum and abstract analysis we're really, REALLY missing HawkWow.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Star grades out well against the run so this obviously helps Lynch. I think they probably go after his replacement repeatedly and Carolina will try to counter with movement to avoid the mismatch. This is an area Bevell shines so I expect the run game to do fairly well this week. Looking foward to watching Seattle take advantage of the situation.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Davis+kuechly<willis+bowman. Meh. Been here, done this.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
Chawks1":18ny0rqf said:
Endzorn, curious how Star played in the game for Panthers? I wonder how big a hole it will leave. Any breakdown?

Thx
That was a good question so I went back and watched Seattle's offensive plays to key on him. He was almost exclusively a run down defender as Carolina brought #92-Edwards in for Nickel situations. Lotulelei lines up as their 3tech tackle in an over front which means he was lined up over Sweezy's outside shoulder. Occasionally they played an under front and he lined up as a 1 tech, but either way he is really disruptive. As a 3 he was an excellent penetrator and Sweezy and Britt had a helluva time keeping him out of the backfield.

He is what we hoped Kevin Williams would be as our 3 Tech. Highly disruptive and what appears to be a good motor. I didn't see him make a ton of tackles (which isn't common for DT anyway), but Sweezy and Britt weren't able to contain him which left Carolina's linebackers free to clean up. I don't think it's a crushing loss, but if their backup 3 tech can be handled by Sweezy then I think we're going to try to run to the right side early and often.

panthers4life

Reaction score
FargoHawk":7vx22z86 said:
Incorrect. He is pointing out specific plays that should have resulted in points but didn't. You are just listing drives that resulted in FGs rather than TDs.

Hahaha, this made me chuckle. I suppose I could have listed only the last play of each drive, the other information was for context.

First, one of the drives I listed was a turnover, you know completely like the turnover OP mentioned? By your logic turning the ball over in scoring position is a missed opportunity for the Hawks, but Carolina turning the ball over in scoring position is not?

Second, you are INCORRECT, the OP was talking about missed opportunities. However, for conversation, let's presume for a moment that you were correct in your reply, that added zero value to the discussion btw. How is missing out on 7 point opportunities that ended in 3 any different than missing out on any other opportunity that ended in 0? It's all points bro.

To me it appeared the OP was trying to be as objective as possible, I'm just adding the part his Seahawks glasses blinded. I realize I'm a a guest here, I've been very respectful to the Hawks and the members of this board, but you sir challenged my post without fully comprehending it.