Justin Smith Retiring...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":jiyo6014 said:
Maulbert":jiyo6014 said:
I'll be interested to see just how good Alldumb is without him on the field. My guess? Average at best. Alldumb had 19.5 sacks through 13 games in 2012, then couldn't manage one after Justin Smith tore his bicep against the Patriots. That's also the game that the 49ers nearly blew a 31-3 3rd quarter lead. They wound up winning 41-34. Take a wild guess which quarter Justin Smith got hurt in?

PS - A week later we slaughtered the Niners 42-13 in their worst loss of the Harbaugh era. Best sporting event I ever attended.

oh BTW, Aldon also tore his labrum late that year, but I don't want to ruin a good story. Lord knows Justin has produced a ton of 19.5 sack players in his time...

...wait...what?

Funny...I got one guy here saying Justin was totally overrated and another who says he's so good he's responsible for a guy who got 19.5 sacks.

IMO, OF COURSE Justin being there was a benefit to Aldon, but suggesting he'll be "average at best" is rather ludicrous.
Don't ever change Marvin. At least you are consistent with your defense of anything and everything 9'er. 8)

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1bamamta said:
Marvin49":1bamamta said:
Maulbert":1bamamta said:
I'll be interested to see just how good Alldumb is without him on the field. My guess? Average at best. Alldumb had 19.5 sacks through 13 games in 2012, then couldn't manage one after Justin Smith tore his bicep against the Patriots. That's also the game that the 49ers nearly blew a 31-3 3rd quarter lead. They wound up winning 41-34. Take a wild guess which quarter Justin Smith got hurt in?

PS - A week later we slaughtered the Niners 42-13 in their worst loss of the Harbaugh era. Best sporting event I ever attended.

oh BTW, Aldon also tore his labrum late that year, but I don't want to ruin a good story. Lord knows Justin has produced a ton of 19.5 sack players in his time...

...wait...what?

Funny...I got one guy here saying Justin was totally overrated and another who says he's so good he's responsible for a guy who got 19.5 sacks.

IMO, OF COURSE Justin being there was a benefit to Aldon, but suggesting he'll be "average at best" is rather ludicrous.
Don't ever change Marvin. At least you are consistent with your defense of anything and everything 9'er. 8)

A guy calls Aldon "average at best"? Yeah. Guilty. I don't think any player who played with Justin ever had 10 sacks (I'd have to check that though), let alone nearly 20.

It would be like me saying "Hey, Wilson is average at best without Marshawn".

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
How many sacks does Alldumb have without Justin holding for him, and how does that compare to when JS is playing.
If I remember right, the number is quite staggering and doesn't support your argument very well.

But look at the bright side, at least Alldumb hasn't been arrested this offseason. 8)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":hwiasez2 said:
How many sacks does Alldumb have without Justin holding for him, and how does that compare to when JS is playing.
If I remember right, the number is quite staggering and doesn't support your argument very well.

But look at the bright side, at least Alldumb hasn't been arrested this offseason. 8)
There's still a lot of off season left.

And yeah, I'm willing to bet quite a lot that a smith sees a huge dip in the sack category for the reasons already mentioned. The other smith is no longer there to hold OL

253hawk

Reaction score
Some good banter between Lynch and Smith:

[youtube]4ryJCoyKmA4[/youtube]

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":27hfgbgj said:

Ya, only got the sack here because Justin was holding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0Y8EIHy9w

here too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCaTqvv0hQ8

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPYokt2Npc

aldon.gif

NnHIj

Yeah...I see what you mean. ALL of the above is a result of Justin holding. :shock:

Dude. Come on now. Surely having another great player on the line helped him, but let's not act like he's "average at best". That argument just makes you look foolish. Aldon, while clearly troubled off the field, is one of the best pass rushers in the game today. Attributing all his success to another guy holding is just sad. Did it happen? Yes. Pretty common cactic that Justin executed very well. Is it solely responsible? Not even close.

Justin has done stuff like that his whole career, but only one guy next to him or on the other side from him has ever put up sacks at the rate Aldon has. Aldon.

To suggest otherwise is no more that Seattle wishful thinking. Niners have plenty to worry about this year, but Aldon being "average at best" is not one of them. My guess is he sees ALOT of double teams till someone else makes them pay for it.

Vetamur

Reaction score
253hawk":2p6gjl9h said:

way off topic..but .. didnt realize Lynch could throw. We need to use that twice or so this upcoming season!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My phone wouldn't load your entire tribute to Saint Alldumb...........So the answer is 5? He got 5 sacks without JS?
NEAT!!!

lucky49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":228e3j91 said:
My phone wouldn't load your entire tribute to Saint Alldumb...........So the answer is 5? He got 5 sacks without JS?
NEAT!!!

that nickname is really clever

rlkats

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":19z1kxu6 said:
5_Golden_Rings":19z1kxu6 said:
peachesenregalia":19z1kxu6 said:
*shrug*

Who?
Lol stop.

Smith2 medium
Damn, thanks for proving our point, with video no less. Hey, didn't you guys lose that game? :mrgreen:

No we won. That was the playofff game.

rlkats

Reaction score
Ya that will be interesting. As I feel the same way. Justin was huge for Aldon Smith. We will see.

P.S super bowl between the hawks and the cheaters. Best sporting event I ever seen. The look on Shermans face priceless.[/quote]

Agree with you RL, that super bowl was one of the best sporting events I have ever seen also. Wish we would have come out on the winning end but even so it was the 2nd in a row and we are still the odds on favorite to be back. So while a win is always preferable I would still take my lumps in a super bowl loss rather than to not make the playoffs or be eliminated in any round before it.

As for Cowboy? Yeah one of the all time greats and will likely be in the HOF one day and deservedly so. It definitely will be interesting to see how Aldon and that defense perform without him and his leadership. And yes in his prime he was better than anyone currently on the Seahawks D-line. No shame in saying that the man was a beast.[/quote]

Agree with everything. Your spot on. I was just stirring crap with Maulbert and his 42-13 chest pounding lol. Although as a niner fan the ending was bitter sweet. Good to see the hawks lose but bad to see the cheaters win. Wish both lost lol. Great game besides.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't have enough disposable income to watch my team play at home more than every couple of seasons, let alone going to watch my biggest rival play on the grandest stage, rlkats. But whatever floats your boat. Lngue2[/quote]

Haha. Cmon Maulbert just having fun with ya. Tell the truth your loaded. Lol. Anyways just pulling your strings in fun pard.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
lucky49":ixlizlqk said:
Sports Hernia":ixlizlqk said:
NEAT!!!

....and it fits. :th2thumbs:

lucky49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ihfqrsd said:
lucky49":1ihfqrsd said:
Sports Hernia":1ihfqrsd said:
NEAT!!!

....and it fits. :th2thumbs:

just soooo clever

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Glad to see I am not alone in my feelings that Justin Smith was a mildly overrated (but good) component of the 49ers defense.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
To help us mourn the ending of Justin Smith's career a minutes silence will be held....

.... of course as it was Justin Smith no flag was thrown.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Vetamur":1f06ig2x said:
253hawk":1f06ig2x said:

way off topic..but .. didnt realize Lynch could throw. We need to use that twice or so this upcoming season!

Awesome clip. I can only assume no one else watched it because there isn't a single comment about Lynch throwing a TD not to mention the Cowboy haters could have used the fact it was Lynch's 1st 100 yard game and that was going against Justin.

I'm one that appreciates the old guard. The guys who led by example on every single play as well as in the locker room. D-Coord's had to factor Justin in because if they didn't he would make them look stupid. Did he get away with a little extra grabbing? Sure but he could do that because he was strong enough to keep his hands inside. He was elite at grabbing a chest plate or lower straps of the pads without getting his arms extended and smart enough to not extend and grab but rather extend and push if he had to make the choice.

I have felt for a while that the 9ers defense was anchored by Cowboy. He set the tone and the example. You can replace Ray Mac but Justin isn't just a game changer he is a defense changer and someone as a football fan, I hold in the highest regard. Another 9er I feel similar about is Gore but if I was choosing one of them in their prime I would choose Cowboy in a second and not even give it a second thought.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He sucks. But the Niners will really miss his presence.