Kam says he is not going anywhere

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I actually didn't look at the context of it. It's fashionable around here to take Kam tweets that are really far off the subject of football and somehow fit it into some pathetic agenda. That one could actually be about the same subject as the last two .NET attempts to stir the pot, which was about the Boot Camp, or something entirely different.

And I don't care to look either. It wouldn't matter if I said 2=2=4...someone here will spit out that it equals 5 along with the foam that comes out of their mouth just simply because they got sand in their V from something that literally had nothing to do with them almost a year ago.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":1nl0i4le said:
Good. People are being to critical of Kam's play last year. I expect he will come back and be everything we expect.

More importantly, Kam is the soul of this secondary.

I hope you're right about him coming back strong. It's one more spot we won't have to worry about.

He has to know that he hurt the team last year. He has to know he pissed Thomas off a bit.

I hope he knows that his performance after the hold out wasn't good enough to warrant extra money. If he does come back and is the old Kam, I'd be ok with the Hawks extending him for more money or adding a bit more guaranteed to it.

HawksFan81

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1jlqon9k said:
HawksFan81":1jlqon9k said:
McG":1jlqon9k said:
AVL":1jlqon9k said:
He's going somewhere next year if not sooner, if his decline isn't reversed.

He was a Pro-Bowler this year, perhaps you should do a little research before putting your foot in your mouth. Was he perfect last year? Hell no, but he was also coming off a fairly serious knee injury that he played through in the SB and no training camp, regardless if that was his fault or not. He is still a top 5 player at his position in the league, which is all you can really ask of a player. I think people tend to forget the fact that we used to have only one or two great players on the team at any given point for the good stretch of a couple of decades, with the rest of the team being nothing but stiffs. It's unrealistic to expect every position to have an All-Pro lining up for us, especially with the constraints of the salary cap all but making it impossible. I'm happy Kam is "all in" again and I hope he lights it up like he did prior to last year, but if not he's still a very good safety and I really can't complain.

Fans decide who makes the Pro Bowl and most fans aren't exactly objective. Kam was okay last year, but he definitely wasn't the player he was in 2012-2014. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets dealt.

No safety in the league, free or strong, was as good as Kam during that span. Per Ronnie Lott he was playing the safety position as good as he's ever seen save for Kenny Easley.

Of course there could be a drop off on a year coming off a knee injury, which he played through, and then missed TC albeit his own decision.

You say that fans aren't really all that objective, which you are. I agree with that, but what about the assessment of a HOF GOAT (outside of Easley) safety?

The silver spoon phenomenon acts quickly....

Get outta here with that silver spoon nonsense. Acknowledging that there was a huge dropoff in his play doesn't make anybody spoiled. Put your love for the man aside and you'll realize he wasn't anything special last year. Doesn't mean he can't get back there, just means as of right now, he's not the All-Pro he once was. Personally, I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got dealt prior to the draft.

McGruff

Reaction score
There was a small dropout in play. Making Kam a top 5 strong safety instead of a best strong safety.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If he does not return, the Seahawk chances to be a dominant SB contending team drop accordingly.

Having a very good QB is of course a prerequisite for getting to the dance, but, having a great QB has little if nothing to do with getting a SB ring.

Teams with some of the best QBs and best offenses during their run include: Saints, Colts, Packers. In fact, the Packers almost universally are considered the 'other' contender to get to the SB until of course, they invariably don't. Why? Because a great secondary or great passrush is more important than having the best QB. And the teams with the very best QB play routinely fall short, because often they build up the offense but have nowhere near as dangerous a defense.

The real crown jewels that will keep this team in the hunt are the defense. The QB just makes sure you get invited to the dance at all, but to win it - the data says you have to have a defense and you have to have a strong secondary.

So trying to run Kam out of town is asking the Seahawks to run the race with ankle weights on. Russell Wilson is not good enough to carry this team to a SB because NO QB is. Even Brady needed a great secondary to win.

This team depends on having a great secondary, something that is frankly in high demand across the league. So you are not just going to stumble into another Kam replacement. Like Lott said, best since Easely, easily. Good luck replacing that.

This team is only go far as long as it has a great secondary to rely on. Because that is the key component you need to win a SB - which means we need Kam because stud safeties do not grow on trees.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
HawksFan81":1au01r7g said:
vin.couve12":1au01r7g said:
HawksFan81":1au01r7g said:
McG":1au01r7g said:
He's going somewhere next year if not sooner, if his decline isn't reversed.

He was a Pro-Bowler this year, perhaps you should do a little research before putting your foot in your mouth. Was he perfect last year? Hell no, but he was also coming off a fairly serious knee injury that he played through in the SB and no training camp, regardless if that was his fault or not. He is still a top 5 player at his position in the league, which is all you can really ask of a player. I think people tend to forget the fact that we used to have only one or two great players on the team at any given point for the good stretch of a couple of decades, with the rest of the team being nothing but stiffs. It's unrealistic to expect every position to have an All-Pro lining up for us, especially with the constraints of the salary cap all but making it impossible. I'm happy Kam is "all in" again and I hope he lights it up like he did prior to last year, but if not he's still a very good safety and I really can't complain.

Fans decide who makes the Pro Bowl and most fans aren't exactly objective. Kam was okay last year, but he definitely wasn't the player he was in 2012-2014. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets dealt.

No safety in the league, free or strong, was as good as Kam during that span. Per Ronnie Lott he was playing the safety position as good as he's ever seen save for Kenny Easley.

Of course there could be a drop off on a year coming off a knee injury, which he played through, and then missed TC albeit his own decision.

You say that fans aren't really all that objective, which you are. I agree with that, but what about the assessment of a HOF GOAT (outside of Easley) safety?

The silver spoon phenomenon acts quickly....

Get outta here with that silver spoon nonsense. Acknowledging that there was a huge dropoff in his play doesn't make anybody spoiled. Put your love for the man aside and you'll realize he wasn't anything special last year. Doesn't mean he can't get back there, just means as of right now, he's not the All-Pro he once was. Personally, I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got dealt prior to the draft.[/quote]

Okay okay, fine. Maybe no need for the silver spoon comment or probably a lot of comments I make, but we've all been over this before.

"He didn't make any hits this year/last year"

[shows the megatron hit]

"He's lost a step"

[shows deep sideline INT against PIT]

There've been an enormous amount of falsehoods thrown around about his actual play vs reality strictly because of people's personal grudges. There was no "huge" dropoff.

acbass

Reaction score
He had a down year for him, but 31 other teams would kill for his production... Even in his "off" year. Players do have off years. It happens. These players had made 2 straight Super Bowls so they had shorter off seasons to heal up. Throw in a a new DC and a holdout and a player like Kam has earned the benefit of the doubt. You don't discard a player after one "down" year that was still pretty decent.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3n5rybmt said:
If he does not return, the Seahawk chances to be a dominant SB contending team drop accordingly.

Having a very good QB is of course a prerequisite for getting to the dance, but, having a great QB has little if nothing to do with getting a SB ring.

Teams with some of the best QBs and best offenses during their run include: Saints, Colts, Packers. In fact, the Packers almost universally are considered the 'other' contender to get to the SB until of course, they invariably don't. Why? Because a great secondary or great passrush is more important than having the best QB. And the teams with the very best QB play routinely fall short, because often they build up the offense but have nowhere near as dangerous a defense.

The real crown jewels that will keep this team in the hunt are the defense. The QB just makes sure you get invited to the dance at all, but to win it - the data says you have to have a defense and you have to have a strong secondary.

So trying to run Kam out of town is asking the Seahawks to run the race with ankle weights on. Russell Wilson is not good enough to carry this team to a SB because NO QB is. Even Brady needed a great secondary to win.

This team depends on having a great secondary, something that is frankly in high demand across the league. So you are not just going to stumble into another Kam replacement. Like Lott said, best since Easely, easily. Good luck replacing that.

This team is only go far as long as it has a great secondary to rely on. Because that is the key component you need to win a SB - which means we need Kam because stud safeties do not grow on trees.

Good post, and you're mostly right. We do need Kam, but we need the Kam of 2014, not 2015. Sure, he made a few good hits, but he wasn't consistently putting fear into receivers like he used to. What I can't answer is whether that was due to recovering from injury, slowing due to age/injuries, or just lack of motivation because he was unhappy.

The "mostly right' in my comment is that if you have elite pass rush and a good secondary, it's still good. Those Giants SB teams didn't have much better than an average secondary. We don't have an elite pass rush, it's just very good. So we either need a borderline elite pass rush, or borderline elite secondary, which we have with Lane and Shead.

Do I think we should ship Kam out ? No, as it looks like he's not going to be an issue this off season. I also know the team is actively looking to improve the pass rush, namely the interior pass rush. But if you look at the defense over all, there wasn't much of a drop off from Kam to McCray in the overall defense, not enough to warrant a pay increase for Kam.

I would say if we have Kam this year, and he plays more like 2014 Kam, then he is worth a pay bump.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Kam only has control over his effort, conditioning, and demands he makes to the FO.

HE may not be demanding to go anywhere, but if he's demanding more money then the FO might ship him off to Cleveland.

His demands and holdout hurt the team AND himself. It helped no one.

Play under the deal you signed and play at a high level or go play for someone else.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I watched the games last year. With my eyes. No DVOA rankings here. I cant remember seeing him lay the wood on anyone last year. No big hits, not intimidation. That is what we are paying him for.

So yes, there was a huge drop off.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kambam.0.0.gif

KAMPUNCH00

[youtube]1DSfMBcwQMU[/youtube]

sam1313

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":7x3khe2b said:
All in all, I'd love to see Kam stay here, be a happy camper, and get back to playing the way he did in 2013-2014. That would be THE best scenario.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/712355242822672384[/tweet]

Asked about Kam Chancellor tweeting that he's not going anywhere, Seahawks GM John Schneider said, "Kam is an extremely prideful, spiritual person. There's a lot of family things that stay in house. That's one of them. I can't speak more highly of a guy. It was a tough, tough thing for everybody to go through last year, so I'm glad he feels that way." So there's no question he's a Seahawk in 2016? "Yeah, he's a Seahawk," Schneider said. "Absolutely."