Kasen Williams -- Sparkling Diamond in the Rough?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He caught a bunch of go routes against back up cbs. I mean, I like how he was fighting for the ball and everything, but I think it's too much to be called a diamond in the rough. I'd like to see him be successful in other routes, and against a higher level of competition. He's always had potential, it just hasn't translated yet. Definitely possible.

sdog1981

Reaction score
People forget that he was a 2nd 3rd round WR prospect until he got hurt at UW. He was also a lock to make this team last season until he got hurt. If he stays healthy he stays on the active roster.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
gowazzu02":sgf5sql7 said:
Kasen Williams is also responsible for two 5* rankings handed out to what turned out to be mediocre QBs in Jake Heaps and Max Browne....Both of which were "can't miss" super star 5 star qbs..... both of which didn't win the job in college ((BYU and USC respectively) and ultimately started the transfer rodeo......

Turns out dropping 5 steps back and chucking it deep to Kasen wasn't a transferable skill. lol

Im really interested to see how the WR room ends up looking.

That is an excellent point ... and one that really needs to be considered when it comes to Williams. I mean, he was able to make mediocre to average QB's look really good. That in and of itself speaks to his level of talent. Imagine his level of production if he has an elite level QB in Russell Wilson throwing to him.

Yes, the Seahawks are pretty much a run oriented team. They will look to run the ball MORE than they throw it. BUT ... when the Hawks look to pass, they are ideally wanting to take deep shots down the field. That's what they have historically done.

Well as has been made evidently apparent, Kasen Williams fits that particular bill PERFECTLY. You want to throw up a 50-50 Deep Go Route down the sideline with a defender right there in his hip pocket, I'm thinking that more times than not Williams is going to win that battle for the jump ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I need to see more than just four go routes before I'm ready to hand Williams a spot on this roster.

But I LOVE his upside, he could be the big physical high jump champ dynamic receiver this team's desperately needed since Rice left...........and if he has another couple pre-season games like Sunday? He's a shoe in.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":r7lvpuk7 said:
gowazzu02":r7lvpuk7 said:
Kasen Williams is also responsible for two 5* rankings handed out to what turned out to be mediocre QBs in Jake Heaps and Max Browne....Both of which were "can't miss" super star 5 star qbs..... both of which didn't win the job in college ((BYU and USC respectively) and ultimately started the transfer rodeo......

Turns out dropping 5 steps back and chucking it deep to Kasen wasn't a transferable skill. lol

That is an excellent point ... and one that really needs to be considered when it comes to Williams. I mean, he was able to make mediocre to average QB's look really good. That in and of itself speaks to his level of talent. Imagine his level of production if he has an elite level QB in Russell Wilson throwing to him.

Yes, the Seahawks are pretty much a run oriented team. They will look to run the ball MORE than they throw it. BUT ... when the Hawks look to pass, they are ideally wanting to take deep shots down the field. That's what they have historically done.

Well as has been made evidently apparent, Kasen Williams fits that particular bill PERFECTLY. You want to throw up a 50-50 Deep Go Route down the sideline with a defender right there in his hip pocket, I'm thinking that more times than not Williams is going to win that battle for the jump ball.

Yeah but he also did that vs high school athletes....

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2qwpzp2h said:
Hawkscanner":2qwpzp2h said:
gowazzu02":2qwpzp2h said:

Yeah but he also did that vs high school athletes....

True ... BUT, he also did that vs. San Diego's DBs on Sunday ... AND, he has also been making those same kinds of eye opening plays against Seattle's DBs in practice as well.

Wait ... you're not still sore about what Williams did against your beloved Cougs in the Apple Cup, are you? ;) :p (j/k)

Foghawk

Reaction score
Nice post Hawkscanner, certainly was fun to watch KW make those catches. We'll see how it shakes out, a lot of options currently at the WR position. As others have mentioned, it will likely take more than catching the 50/50 balls on a 9 route (against No. 2 / 3 RCB?) to make the final cut this season. I really don't know where he is in his overall development but if he can catch a slant consistently and block I say give him a shot. :lol:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
That body control and toe drag on his 4th Reception. It's an incredible hard play at his size and length... off the top of my head of WRs that are 6'2+, 215+ only Julio Jones makes a play like that.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
FWIW guys, I went back and looked at the highlights from the Youtube of Samuel Gold's that I have linked above. As I looked at the highlights, there was one thing that stood out to me -- again and again. And that is that Kasen Williams was burning the same Chargers CB over and over again ... each and every time (#43 of the Chargers). So, who was this player that Williams kept frying?

So, I looked it up ... and that would be CB Michael Davis, an rookie UDFA out of BYU. Though he was an UDFA, the Chargers appear to be very high on Davis. Davis is 6'2" 196 pounds and ran a 4.43 in the 40 at his Pro Day at BYU. If he had gone to the Combine, that would have been the 2nd fastest recorded time by a CB. In 2015, he was charged with misdemeanor assault during an altercation. As a result, he had to serve 1 year on probation. So, that's apparently why Michael Davis went undrafted.

https://boltbeat.com/2017/06/10/los-angeles-chargers-undrafted-rookie-spotlight-michael-davis/

Just thought I'd throw that out there. We'll see what Kasen Williams continues to do moving forward.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
THIS will be KW's year!!!! Loved him since the day he announced he would be a DAWG!!! Now, it is really his time.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ur7cp9m said:
Such a great problem to have. Very deep at WR and RB
No kidding! I had to laugh out loud earlier this week when I read a major Fantasy Football regarding the top QB prospects for this season. Russell was on the top 10 list but when I got to the comment they made about Seattle having a 'weak' WR group, I lost it. What the hell? We may have been somewhat weak the year Golden Tate left but we have built up big time since then....Oh, and we have Jimmy too. Stupid sports writers. LMAO.

KillerB

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1no8lfqn said:
He caught a bunch of go routes against back up cbs. I mean, I like how he was fighting for the ball and everything, but I think it's too much to be called a diamond in the rough. I'd like to see him be successful in other routes, and against a higher level of competition. He's always had potential, it just hasn't translated yet. Definitely possible.

I have to agree with this. I like Williams' high-point technique on that one route...but it was all the same route, all against the same UDFA cornerback.

I wish him the best and hope he can make the final roster decision very difficult but at this point he's a preseason hero of one game. Looking forward to seeing what else he's got over the next three weeks.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":32qzmbxf said:
Cyrus12":32qzmbxf said:
>Kearse...if it comes down to it this is the logical cut...

I would tend to agree with you that Kearse would be a "logical" cut except for 2 things:

1) As has been brought up a million times, the Hawks would not receive any salary cap relief for this year were they to cut Kearse.

2) Say what you will, but Jermaine Kearse has the trust of Russell Wilson. Sure Kearse drops a lot of passes, but he's also made his share of big time clutch plays over the years as well.

That said, If I was the one making the decisions ... and looking at this receiver competition completely objectively (just picking whom I see as the 5 best receivers who have the most in terms of talent and upside), this is what I would go with ...

1) Doug Baldwin
2) Tyler Lockett
3) Amara Darboh
4) Kasen Williams
5) David Moore

I don't think the Hawks will cut Kearse (for the reasons noted above), but I would. I'd also let Richardson go as well. Richardson is a very talented WR, but in the end, I just don't know if he can be relied upon to stay healthy and to consistently be on the field. Kasen Williams would make this team ... and in the end when it all shakes out, I believe that he probably actually will.

You have a very compelling and intriguing thread Hawkscanner. Kasen is indeed battling and his return from that injury is remarkable. If he can show he's more than a 1 trick horse, a spot will emerge for him. However, he has to show he's effective in the crossing routes, outs, curls, posts and more otherwise he could be relegated to Stephen Williams status-the go-route wonder who was cut after 1 or 2 games in '13. He's going to need to show a willingness to contribute on ST also.

Regarding your WR selections, I beg to differ on a couple. Would you actually cut PRich and keep the injured Darboh on the active squad? IMO PRich has stepped up his game, was clutch in the playoffs and has made some spectacular catches. He's earned his spot. And you would keep practice squad eligible Moore over the versatile and RZ threat McEvoy? I think there's enough room for Williams, McEvoy and Richardson to join Doug, Tyler and The Curse. (IR/Prac Squad: Darboh, Moore, Grayson)

mikeak

Reaction score
To me Darnoh's injury looked like season ending IR. Darn shame but at least it means we keep him on the roster and he can sit and develop

Sincerely,

Bellicheck

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He made all the plays he was asked to make. If the staff needs to see him run a slant they have to call that. Otherwise what more can he do?