• Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Here's what strikes me as the key take-away:

"However, the Seahawks pigeon-holed themselves when they sent a trade package that included a second-round pick to the Giants, giving Williams the leverage in contract negotiations and putting them in a position where they had to overpay to keep him or risk losing him for nothing in free agency after sacrificing legitimate draft capital to acquire him."

"Spotrac’s calculated market value projected Williams to earn $16.7 million annually in his next contract, which he easily surpassed in his new deal with Seattle."

Would it have been better to let him walk? Truthfully, I don't know. I think it's right on the line. If he doesn't continue to perform at a super high level for the next three years, it will be seen in retrospect as another bad signing. The kind of splashy free-agent signing that the best teams don't do.
What the Seahawks traded to get Williams is, or at least should be irrelevent. The only reason we gave the Giants a second Round pick was because we needed the Giants to pay his salary for last year. What we paid has gone all that matter is the future if the front office ddn't think he was worth $21.5m they would have let him go.

12forlife

Reaction score
Not in a million years. The market for that position was not in the vicinity of that number, no matter what that opinion website wants to say. The deal for Leo was solid.

The negative Nancy's here will always find something to complain about. They are insufferable and IMO best put on ignore. That's the only way I can enjoy these forums anymore.
💯 I honestly see LW as the new version on Michael Bennett. This signing could be one of Seattle's better FA acquisitions ever!

Parallax

Reaction score
Not in a million years. The market for that position was not in the vicinity of that number, no matter what that opinion website wants to say. The deal for Leo was solid.

The negative Nancy's here will always find something to complain about. They are insufferable and IMO best put on ignore. That's the only way I can enjoy these forums anymore.
Heaven forbid anyone have a different opinion than you.

I remember when the Adams trade went down and everyone wanted to cheer over it. I was one of the few voices expressing doubt. It's not fun to be one of the lone voices of opposition but I'd rather be honest than popular.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yeah...looks like a solid crew.
It is definitely not a bad situation, but I hope this doesn't prompt them to stop drafting in the trenches, and heavily. Mafe disappeared during the back end of the season, Reed and Williams are not spring chickens, and I'm still not sold on Jones. #16 needs to be either a DL pick or a strong pass-rushable LB.

sutz

Reaction score
It is definitely not a bad situation, but I hope this doesn't prompt them to stop drafting in the trenches, and heavily. Mafe disappeared during the back end of the season, Reed and Williams are not spring chickens, and I'm still not sold on Jones. #16 needs to be either a DL pick or a strong pass-rushable LB.
I think they'll trade back and go with volume this year. Get a 2d and maybe another late rounder.

Chevy

Reaction score
Wilkins > Williams
That is why Williams was slightly less expensive
Having watched Wilkins prior to free agency, I was not that impressed (considering he was being ranked as the #2 DT in free agency). Williams is the better, more athletic pass rusher.

Chevy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Here's what strikes me as the key take-away:

"However, the Seahawks pigeon-holed themselves when they sent a trade package that included a second-round pick to the Giants, giving Williams the leverage in contract negotiations and putting them in a position where they had to overpay to keep him or risk losing him for nothing in free agency after sacrificing legitimate draft capital to acquire him."

"Spotrac’s calculated market value projected Williams to earn $16.7 million annually in his next contract, which he easily surpassed in his new deal with Seattle."

Would it have been better to let him walk? Truthfully, I don't know. I think it's right on the line. If he doesn't continue to perform at a super high level for the next three years, it will be seen in retrospect as another bad signing. The kind of splashy free-agent signing that the best teams don't do.

Spotrac's calculated market value for Wilkins was $20.2 average annually, and he is getting $27.5 million average annually. So my take is that since the teams Cap went up significantly this year, then free agent players will be paid more than before.

Parallax

Reaction score
Spotrac's calculated market value for Wilkins was $20.2 average annually, and he is getting $27.5 million average annually. So my take is that since the teams Cap went up significantly this year, then free agent players will be paid more than before.
True. Plus every organization does its own calculus and the market gets reset by the most generous (or foolish). When the cap goes up, the gains seem to go disproportionately to those most in demand. Pass rushers stand high in that pyramid.