• Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

12forlife

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Here's what strikes me as the key take-away:

"However, the Seahawks pigeon-holed themselves when they sent a trade package that included a second-round pick to the Giants, giving Williams the leverage in contract negotiations and putting them in a position where they had to overpay to keep him or risk losing him for nothing in free agency after sacrificing legitimate draft capital to acquire him."

"Spotrac’s calculated market value projected Williams to earn $16.7 million annually in his next contract, which he easily surpassed in his new deal with Seattle."

Would it have been better to let him walk? Truthfully, I don't know. I think it's right on the line. If he doesn't continue to perform at a super high level for the next three years, it will be seen in retrospect as another bad signing. The kind of splashy free-agent signing that the best teams don't do.
There is no way in this lifetime that the Hawks or any of the other 31 teams could have got LW to sign for $16.5 mil. $21.5 mil is a solid deal if he keeps up his performance from last year, which I only see getting better behind MM system?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
There is no way in this lifetime that the Hawks or any of the other 31 teams could have got LW to sign for $16.5 mil. $21.5 mil is a solid deal if he keeps up his performance from last year, which I only see getting better behind MM system?
Not in a million years. The market for that position was not in the vicinity of that number, no matter what that opinion website wants to say. The deal for Leo was solid.

The negative Nancy's here will always find something to complain about. They are insufferable and IMO best put on ignore. That's the only way I can enjoy these forums anymore.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Not in a million years. The market for that position was not in the vicinity of that number, no matter what that opinion website wants to say. The deal for Leo was solid.

The negative Nancy's here will always find something to complain about. They are insufferable and IMO best put on ignore. That's the only way I can enjoy these forums anymore.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
If Williams truly tested free agency, it’s very likely Seattle was the highest bidder. The point is, they cornered themselves into having to be the highest bidder because they paid a second and fifth round pick for him. I don’t understand what people don’t understand about this? You do not trade for a player who will be a free agent at the end of the year without negotiating the next contract before trade is agreed upon. What Seattle did was corner themselves because they would’ve looked like fools if they did not re-sign him. Fact!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If Williams truly tested free agency, it’s very likely Seattle was the highest bidder. The point is, they cornered themselves into having to be the highest bidder because they paid a second and fifth round pick for him. I don’t understand what people don’t understand about this? You do not trade for a player who will be a free agent at the end of the year without negotiating the next contract before trade is agreed upon. What Seattle did was corner themselves because they would’ve looked like fools if they did not re-sign him. Fact!
That's an opinion though. Not a fact.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They traded for a guy, they ended up keeping him. What is the issue here? Dear God, this is a great signing for a good price vs. the current market.
They have to find something to cry, moan, and complain about. They don't know any other way.

bileever

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Here's what strikes me as the key take-away:

"However, the Seahawks pigeon-holed themselves when they sent a trade package that included a second-round pick to the Giants, giving Williams the leverage in contract negotiations and putting them in a position where they had to overpay to keep him or risk losing him for nothing in free agency after sacrificing legitimate draft capital to acquire him."

"Spotrac’s calculated market value projected Williams to earn $16.7 million annually in his next contract, which he easily surpassed in his new deal with Seattle."

Would it have been better to let him walk? Truthfully, I don't know. I think it's right on the line. If he doesn't continue to perform at a super high level for the next three years, it will be seen in retrospect as another bad signing. The kind of splashy free-agent signing that the best teams don't do.
I agree with what you're saying, and from Schneider's previous deal with Jamal Adams, it is likely that one driving force behind the Williams deal was Schneider's desire to save face and not be blasted for having made another bad deal. Schneider's comments about being tired of hearing about Adams is kind of proof that he is paying attention to these comments.

However, we will never know for sure. One's evaluation of this deal depends on how much you value Leonard Williams. I've watched Williams a fair amount, going back to his Jets days, when I lived in NYC (and my daughter is a rabid Jets fan, if it's even possible to be a "rabid" Jets fan), and he has been a spectacular player during that time, both with the Jets and the Giants. If he can maintain that level of play, the money will be worth it. Williams didn't have quite the same impact this year, but the whole defense was crap, so I think it's hard to evaluate based on his performance in Clint Hurtt's scheme (if he had a scheme).

I personally would have preferred to sign Arik Armstead or DJ Reader, if they could have been had for a lower price. (Yes, I know they both have been injury-prone, but they're still good players.) But who knows how much they will sign for. If they end up signing for $19-20 million a year, then I'd say we got a fair price on the Williams deal. One other factor to take into account is that the increase in the salary cap has resulted in some inflation in the deals being offered, for sure.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Under the old regime - under a crap defense scheme - in a partial year - Williams was one of our best defensive players. Imagine what he will be able to do under MM. What is there to complain about with this decent deal? :rolleyes:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Leonard played very well last year considering the horrible defense he was on, the worst run defense in the NFL, and Clint Hurtt...

Here's a comparison between Leonard Williams and Chris Jones, and I think the Williams contract is very reasonable. Especially with the huge boost in the cap this year.

Leonard Williams (NY) PD: 1 Sacks: 1.5 TKLs (Combined): 21 Solo: 13 TFL: 1 QB Hits: 5

Leonard Williams (SEA) PD: 1 Sacks: 4.0 TKLs (Combined): 41 Solo: 24 TFL: 9 QB Hits: 11

($21.5 million per year)

Chris Jones (KC) PD: 4 Sacks: 10.5 TKLs (Combined): 30 Solo: 20 TFL: 13 QB Hits: 29

(31.8 million per year)

hieroglyphics

Reaction score

The counterargument to this is you dont know the number of FA deals in the past that Seattle lost out on for reasons having nothing to do with money.

What if Seattle had made the highest offer for Javon Hargrave last year but he chose to go to 49ers because he wouldn't be expected to lead the entire defensive line, and instead could play alongside a top 5 unit in the league? There are non-monetary invariables teams deal with.

Scout

Reaction score
Williams can play up and down the line. That is special and you can move him around along with Reed and Jones to cause confusion. Like I said Mac is salivating at the possibilities. Mac just has to find two ILBs that have the flex ability to slam down into the A gap, but also be able to drop into shallow zone coverages.

BASF

Reaction score
Wilkins contract was slightly better than Williams, but Williams has been more consistent. Miami either changed Wilkins role last season or he decided to give full effort to maximize his payday. I would take the more consistent player at a lower rate than a guy who decided that more money during the offseason was his motivation.

ivotuk

Reaction score
True. There's a reason Miami didn't retain him.

Leonard played on 2 bad defenses last year. The Giants gave up 48 TDs, Seahawks 45 TDs.