Kearse - The Seahawks Weeble Wobble

bbsplitter

Reaction score
fenderbender123":zocgv390 said:
Kearse likely slowed up because he was going to come back toward RW. He just happened to do so at the same time RW decided to chuck it deep. I don't blame Kearse at all for that one...when the QB is scrambling around, the WRs practically have to guess whether or not they should keep running deep or try to run back toward the QB and help him out with a shorter throw.

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that. Both DB's were over the top of him so he would have had a lot of room to work with if he had come back towards RW. Either way the ball shouldn't have been thrown, just like the 2nd pick Wilson threw across his body. I disagree with some of the other posters on here though that kearse has lapses of effort "all the time", if anything I've thought his effort is what keeps him on the field, he just lacks the talent to be a #1 or #2 in the NFL.

Islander

Reaction score
LOL - the ones hating on Kearse the most are gowazzu02, dutchcoug and the dude from Tricities. Maybe this should be moved to the NCAA forum :D

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head with the kearse conundrum. He's not actually good enough to justify the role he has in this offense, and yet at times when his number is called he has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. He is a GREAT #3 or 4 WR, but not a starting #1 or 2. I would love to see this team, for once, acquire a true difference maker at WR with size and athleticism to to make plays on the outside. Move Kearse down and send him in on 3 or 4 WR sets. He's a free agent next year anyways so he may be gone soon, we'll see.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Islander":3vtdwf2f said:
LOL - the ones hating on Kearse the most are gowazzu02, dutchcoug and the dude from Tricities. Maybe this should be moved to the NCAA forum :D

I'm the dude from the Tri-cities and I'm actually a Husky fan :th2thumbs:

I'm not hating on Kearse and I think he has a role on this team. I'm hating on him being the #2 and starting. Anyone being objective would admit that's not an ideal situation when you look across the WR landscape. If you think he's a great #2 I would ask for something to validate that belief. Seattle doesn't really have a choice at the moment. I think Richardson takes that job away by the end of the year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Kearse would be most team's 4th or 5th WR. I still don't understand why he starts for us. Been saying this for years now.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3ohc53lz said:
I think you hit the nail on the head with the kearse conundrum. He's not actually good enough to justify the role he has in this offense, and yet at times when his number is called he has made some of the biggest catches in franchise history. He is a GREAT #3 or 4 WR, but not a starting #1 or 2. I would love to see this team, for once, acquire a true difference maker at WR with size and athleticism to to make plays on the outside. Move Kearse down and send him in on 3 or 4 WR sets. He's a free agent next year anyways so he may be gone soon, we'll see.

Those players don't exactly grow on trees.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":2s2vrj2b said:
Islander":2s2vrj2b said:

I'm not hating on Kearse and I think he has a role on this team. I'm hating on him being the #2 and starting. Anyone being objective would admit that's not an ideal situation when you look across the WR landscape. If you think he's a great #2 I would ask for something to validate that belief. Seattle doesn't really have a choice at the moment. I think Richardson takes that job away by the end of the year.

Here's the thing though, why hasn't Lockett already surpassed him on the depth chart? He has looked light years better than Kearse and yet he isn't the #2 option. Evidently PC must think that the chemistry, as stated earlier, is enough to keep things the way they are. I don't agree with that, if true, but it's the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Basis4day

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1d7rfrij said:
austinslater25":1d7rfrij said:
Islander":1d7rfrij said:

Here's the thing though, why hasn't Lockett already surpassed him on the depth chart? He has looked light years better than Kearse and yet he isn't the #2 option. Evidently PC must think that the chemistry, as stated earlier, is enough to keep things the way they are. I don't agree with that, if true, but it's the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Lockett is getting plenty of opportunities and his TD yesterday is only going to get him more. The WR rotate anyway so i've never understood the focus on the positioning on the depth chart. It's not like the person listed as WR1 and 2 are always getting the majority of the snaps.

Lockett is also the KR/PR and is usually going to get a nice hit by someone. It stands to reason he is going to get a break on 1st down as a result. Same as how Lynch needs to be spelled from time to time.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1ks8qo0o said:
Richardson > Kearse. Can't wait for him to get back in the lineup.

I'm not really sold on PRich, but I hope he proves me wrong.

In a very good WR class last year, we could have gotten Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson. Landry would have solved our punt and kick return problems last year. Allen Robinson would have given us that big target WR that we have never really had.

Of all the WR's taken in the first two rounds, PRich probably had the weakest year of them all. A lot of that has to do with the fact we don't throw the ball much, but I thought he looked pretty average.

timmat

Reaction score
Albeit with few opportunities, Matthews' hands have looked really good. Would have loved to see that deep ball to Kearse go to Matthews. Just try it please. I have a feeling that guy is eventually going to end up catching lots of passes for another team.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It is very difficult to evaluate WR's as a fan. Unless you've watched the wide shot you're not going to get a clear picture of what is happening in the game.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Kearse could have broken up that interception without committing a penalty to do it.

What bothered me a lot more was when the 49ers blew a coverage and Kearse was open for an easy catch and run TD, but then got confused as to where he should run and ended up being tackled for minimal YAC. Should have been an easy TD, and Wilson threw a pick later on the same drive. If not for that mistake the final score is probably 27-3.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":228gtr76 said:
SeahawksFanForever":228gtr76 said:

In a very good WR class last year, we could have gotten Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson. Landry would have solved our punt and kick return problems last year. Allen Robinson would have given us that big target WR that we have never really had.

Of all the WR's taken in the first two rounds, PRich probably had the weakest year of them all. A lot of that has to do with the fact we don't throw the ball much, but I thought he looked pretty average.

During that draft, we still had Percy Harvin so Jarvis Landry wouldn't have been seen as necessary. P-Rich was steadily improving after Harvin was traded and our offense wasn't hell bent on forcing him the ball.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":18uip71q said:
HawkerD":18uip71q said:
Three reasons Kearse is still there
1. He's a very good value for the money
2. He stays healthy
3. RW has excellent chemistry with him

He is not going anywhere until those reasons no longer apply.

He had no chance to break up that interception. It was way over thrown and the defender was already over the top of Kearse by a couple of steps and there was no way Kearse ever get to where the ball actually came down. But lets pat RW on the back for making a horrible throw simply because it was aggressive.

:17:

No patting Russ on the back, it was an absolutely terrible throw, but Kearse slowed in his route because he was double covered and I guess thought there was no way it would be coming his way. It shouldn't have been coming his way, but it did, not the first time such a scenario has happened with the same result, both have some blame.

Someone mentioned in the gameday forum that Russ treats Kearse like Megatron in his prime and it's so true, I think Russ will become a better player when throwing to a top 3 of Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson. Richardson is quicker than Kearse and was snagging almost everything thrown near him toward the end of last year. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but if Richardson returns to full strength then there should be absolutely no reason Kearse should see more snaps than him.

And I'm not hating on Kearse, I actually think he's a solid number 3 receiver in most other teams in the league and it's not his fault Russ gives him the Megatron treatment, we've just got better.

That's what I saw as well, it looked like Kearse couldn't believe that ball would be thrown.

I don't have a problem with Kearse as he's clutch, but it seems like 2/3 of Wilson's really dumb interceptions are thrown Kearse's way. If we got rid of Kearse, maybe Wilson's really bad INT's would be cut down.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Islander":3cpg2dro said:

I dont give a shit what college a player went to, if he can play Im a fan of his. Kearse is a weak link. I wasn't high or low on him, until the nfccg last year when he gagged away what 4 interceptions right off his hands. Then he followed it up with a great play yes,,,, but fast forward to the superbowl, 4th quarter, we need a first down, RW hits him right in the hands and it's dropped again.

Again don't care what school you went to, I just hate WR's that drop balls, specifically if they are slow compared to other nfl wrs.

But please feel free to make me being a coug a reason to ignore all that knowledge I just dropped on you.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
We would probably have to have a top 15 pick to get Treadwell. I'd like to see PRich and Matthews become the starters with Lockett at the X. Or PRich, Lockett and Baldwin. If Kerse fits in after that, ok.

RW92

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1609iz1t said:
I hate to keep beating up on the guy, but I am curious as to how he can have so many inexcusable plays in games without his playing time being affected.

First, the INT on the long ball was RW's fault. Simple. That said, the lack of effort by Kearse was really the antithesis of Seahawk football. My problem is, this seems to be a recurring theme with Kearse.

I don't think I have ever seen an outside WR get washed out of so many plays. It's hard not to think it's effort related considering the play last night. Now, I'm not here to outright condemn Kearse, but I do think that his mistakes/lack of consistency far outweigh his big plays (which there have been quite a few).

It's really an interesting internal debate I have about him. There's no doubting how many monumental plays he has made as a Seahawk, some of which will be some of the top highlights over the next 25 years. But again, it is becoming really hard to watch him get totally washed out of plays and it's this lack of consistency that really bothers me. I think as a #3/4 WR, he's an absolute gem, but as a guy who sees regular snaps, I am not sure how much longer I can stomach him.

Lastly, which leads to my last point; there's a high likelihood that Kearse is gone next year which leaves a hole on the outside at WR (with a bigger WR). This leads to an interesting conundrum because I think we will play our way out of a top tier OL in the draft meaning we could have the opportunity to draft a guy like Laquon Treadwell. I think it will be very interesting to see how it plays out in the next offseason. We have a lot of talent at WR; I'm just not sure we have anybody on the outside who can consistently win.

Great win yesterday...loved the aggressiveness. I think we may be watching something special about to happen.

I've mentioned on other posts that he looks as though he has lost two steps. No separation at all deep. Lockett and Mathews should get more playing time. Next week with facing Hardy and the Dallas "D", Russell will have to get rid of the ball very quickly to avoid their ever encumbering pass rush.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1kr0jgge said:
SeahawksFanForever":1kr0jgge said:

If Landry had become a Seahawk then most likely they wouldn't have gotten Lockett. Lockett is basically a Landry with potential to be better.