Key Difference (Seahawks vs 49ers)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Meh, it's a non-issue given the officials completely blew the offsetting Matthews/ Staley fouls. As ususual the referees change the entire game because they frickked it up big time. Green Bay should be livid.

kearly

Reaction score
49ers pass pro = Seahawks pass pro, roughly speaking. The difference is that Kaepernick fires the ball in 4 seconds or less pretty consistently. Wilson LOVED holding the ball in this game. I wonder what his average hold time was? It had to have been at least 5 seconds.

knownone

Reaction score
Really? Why compare the Hawks to the 49ers? Green bay is an average at best defense and they were on the road.
We have the defensive personnel to go man against their wideouts, roll coverage to Davis and force Kaep to fit passes into tight windows.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah the pass protection for Wilson had to get much better for our game next week or else we are in trouble.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I was more concerned with the visiting 9ers before watching the bumbling Packers take them to the wire today....IN SF. That last 9er drive was ONLY possible because of STUPID Packer defense. We don't have an elite pass rush...but we're not stupid, either. Can't wait to see Kaeps cartoon eyes and Harbaugh's dropping jaw again at the Clink.

Without yet crunching the numbers.. my gut is telling me 30-17 Hawks.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I dunno kearly, although I clearly refer to your X's and O's knowledge, it just seemed to me that once Russell Wilson snapped the ball either from center or shotgun, he was instantly in duress. INSTANTLY.

Where Colin would snap the ball and there always seemed to be this lovely pocket of protection for at least 5 seconds.

To me, that's a huge difference in QB protection just from the eye test.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Don't think for a second that Wilson is not already disseminating the game film and looking at everything he did wrong, as well as what everybody else did wrong. This, to me, is what separates Russell from other "typical" qb's. His study of the game. Him and Carroll as well as others are already working on fixing it. I think the team you see this Sunday will not even resemble the team you saw today, that oh yeah, won. 12th man will clean up what they miss with sheer volume...

Go Hawks!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2iu1hyww said:
49ers pass pro = Seahawks pass pro, roughly speaking. The difference is that Kaepernick fires the ball in 4 seconds or less pretty consistently. Wilson LOVED holding the ball in this game. I wonder what his average hold time was? It had to have been at least 5 seconds.

Agree'd. I think at times Wilson makes our pass protection look worse then it really is. If that's Peyton Manning back there the ball is getting released in 2 seconds and nobody here is complaining about anything. But, that's not Wilsons game (and to be honest I think it has to do with his height). He's better when he's moving around within the pocket creating angles then just getting the snap and trying to release the ball on perfect rhythm.

kf3339

Reaction score
Reading this thread one would think no one remembers what we did to the Niners at our house late last year. Good lord people just relax!

We won a tough game on the road at 10am against a very good defense, and held their offense to only 7 points. That is a huge accomplishment.

As for next week we are at home; in a late game; with the 12th man at their back, and probably several inactives (Browner/Avril) ready to go.

Put Sherman on Boldwin and Browner on Davis and we will shut them down.

BOOK IT!

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1i7p4cwl said:
The big difference is that SF has better lines, on both sides of the ball. They also have a better LB group.

We have a much better secondary and we have a better (deeper) WR group.

But if you watched both the Seahawks and the 49ers objectively, it is clear the better team is the 49ers.

We have an advantage because we are home but that is it.

This is the first game, they are not firing on all cylinders and they look like the SB favorite by far. Wilson looked better than Kap by leagues last year, if you compare this game he is matching Rogers on every shot. That disadvantage is gone.

Also, Boldin is paying huge dividends for them. Boldin might actually be the difference between a win and loss in Seattle for them.

SF is playing a much higher quality opponent, but they are playing at home. Still, if this Seattle team had showed up in SF today they would have been run out of the stadium - at least a 17 point loss.

The Seahawks have their work cut out for them.

Sorry, but with this post you don't sound like a Hawk fan at all.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Why, cuz he's trying to deal in facts? I think a few of his points are stretched, but not all of them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If it were anyone else besides Wilson I'd agree.. but even with the blitzing and chaos.. he only took one clear shot today. He's so elusive and hard to grab that I don't see injuries being a concern.

If memory serves, the line was a bit shaky at the start of the year last season too and at the end it was much better.. hope that happens again

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ijw0hzy said:
Why, cuz he's trying to deal in facts? I think a few of his points are stretched, but not all of them.

Nope.

drrew

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ukcrneb said:
But if you watched both the Seahawks and the 49ers objectively, it is clear the better team is the 49ers.

Seriously? Objectively, the Seahawks held the Panthers more than 100 yards below their 2012 average. More than 2 touchdowns below their 2012 scoring average.

The 49ers gave up more yardage that Green Bay averaged last season, and GB was within a field goal of their scoring average.

The objective facts are pretty clear that you don't seem to know what the hell you watched. Get over the style points and look at the numbers.

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":1cl09ccl said:

Blocking duration and angles have a big impact on pass blocking results and penalties. This may be a built in vulnerablility of this offense. It's why pocket passers have been so popular in the NFL for so long.

justafan

Reaction score
There is no comparing how these two lines looked today.SF is head and shoulders above ours in talent and coaching IMO.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the difference is philosophy.

PNWJoshua

Reaction score
I may be new here but not new to football or the hawks. You cannot make hardly any comparisons between the hawks and niners based on todays games. So relax. Gb and carolina have very VERY different defense personel and run very different defense schemes. The hawks are a different offence than san fran too. Game planning for each team is different.

For instance. Carolina runs a high risk reward d buy stunting their dl almost everyplay. That is why the ol looked bad. In actuality they did a great job all things considered. Now gb's line is big and fat. They play a gap control dl then rely on mathews for pass rush. This relies on a strong secondary and gives the qb more time. Thats why caep had lots of time to throw.

Now, dont be fooled by caep being a better qb than wilson. he lacks the touch wilson has. He also lacks the decision making that wilson has. Lastly, he is a running qb. When he sees green he runs. When wilson sees green he keeps looking to pass. Caep is a good qb tho and not to be underestimated, however, he looks as good as he does due primarily to quality play calling and good prep. (my opinion of course)

Carolina is a good team! Better than last year easily.

Sorry if this is disjointed and unorganized. Hard to type on a cell phone...