Kingsbury denied permission to talk to NFL teams

Trrrroy

Reaction score
This is the NFL. A couple young offensive head coach finds success and everybody goes out and tries to find the same thing. Maybe it works out, but Klingsbury is more likely to be the next Lane Kiffin, Eric Mangini, and Josh McDaniels as he is McVay.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So do the Cards take Murray at pick 1? Kingsbury has certainly said before that Murray should be taken with the first pick.

:stirthepot:

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't put a high priority on spelling the names of opposing coaches correctly. :)

Osprey

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2iny719j said:
So do the Cards take Murray at pick 1? Kingsbury has certainly said before that Murray should be taken with the first pick.

What do you do with Rosen at that point? Tough to get value back with not as many QB needy teams as usual.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Osprey":ybdf42ug said:
bigskydoc":ybdf42ug said:

What do you do with Rosen at that point? Tough to get value back with not as many QB needy teams as usual.

I would just eat the pick (depending on salary consequences). When Jimmy Johnson was building the Cowboys, he used the first overall pick on Troy Aikman. He also used a first round pick in the supplemental draft on a QB (Steve Walsh). Aikman ended up working out so the Walsh pick was a "waste" but better to waste a first round pick than not have a good QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1eiwumng said:

Kiem / Bidwells are the GM's not Kingsbury, The Cards do stuff that doesn't necessarily work well with what their coaches want, they are cheap as hell. Why they cycle thru Coaches and players so fast and are in the basement more often then not since the 50's.

They will trade down I almost guarantee it as not to pay top salary for a player they can get later for a position of need.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Heard an interesting point on the radio this morning that I hadn't considered.

Said that the reason teams are making these guys head coaches is because if they make them OC and they perform well, they'll get a HC gig the next year. Better to make him HC for the continuity for your young QB. Makes a ton of sense to me actually.

But McVay has shown to have outstanding leadership qualities thus far....to be a good HC that's possibly more important than how well you run an offense or defense. We'll see how it pans out for these teams.

Love the Arians hire for the Bucs...if anyone can get it out of Winston, it's Arians.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2ohwbfiw said:
Heard an interesting point on the radio this morning that I hadn't considered.

Said that the reason teams are making these guys head coaches is because if they make them OC and they perform well, they'll get a HC gig the next year. Better to make him HC for the continuity for your young QB. Makes a ton of sense to me actually.

But McVay has shown to have outstanding leadership qualities thus far....to be a good HC that's possibly more important than how well you run an offense or defense. We'll see how it pans out for these teams.

Love the Arians hire for the Bucs...if anyone can get it out of Winston, it's Arians.

I think it's more then the Young, most not all but many get comfortable in a HC job and then start to delegate most stuff and just over see things. Complacent with the teaching and involvement. Younger Coaches are still very engaged with the players and day to day activities. Then there are guys like Pete Carroll who just goes and goes and it's his personality to be engaged with the players and teach not only the players but the Coaching staff as well as do the other stuff.

His Energy level is unique, but it also why he has been successful, I think he re invented himself with the USC days in doing this and getting away from the mentors he had in the pro game for so many years who did a lot of delegation and was the guy you feared more then the guy who taught.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":2tjkxgm2 said:
I think it's more then the Young, most not all but many get comfortable in a HC job and then start to delegate most stuff and just over see things. Complacent with the teaching and involvement. Younger Coaches are still very engaged with the players and day to day activities. Then there are guys like Pete Carroll who just goes and goes and it's his personality to be engaged with the players and teach not only the players but the Coaching staff as well as do the other stuff.

His Energy level is unique, but it also why he has been successful, I think he re invented himself with the USC days in doing this and getting away from the mentors he had in the pro game for so many years who did a lot of delegation and was the guy you feared more then the guy who taught.

Pete has had to take the feedback and learn and reinvent himself MANY times over his career.
He's reinvented and adapted more than just about any pro sports coach I can think of.
I always get a chuckle out of the silly posts where people carry on about how Pete is so set in his ways, he'll never learn, etc.

Pete learned that blind loyalty to underperforming assistants is a horrible thing, with the Cable fiasco, and to a lesser extent Bevell.

Pete knows so many truly timeless things that have served him well, but often there are nuances, where to draw the dividing line. Where is the boundary between allowing an assistant to develop and adapt and improve, vs. realizing the assistant has become incompetent due to changes in the game, the rules, and the competition, and the assistant not evolving and adapting? Pete found that line with Cable and Bevell, and especially Cable. I find it hard to fault Bevell as much because Bev had to try to make plays work in spite of Cable's crap O-Line. Bevell needed to be fired after SB49 for throwing Ricardo Lockette under the bus for Bevell's own failure. Bevell NEVER took true responsibility for that fiasco that I ever saw or read. Pete took the responsibility, but not Bevell.

Pete recently canned the whole strength and conditioning staff. It will be interesting to see what happens there. Maybe the game had passed them by; we shall see, next year, with the trend of injury issues and players lost to IR for the season.

For a guy like Sean McVay, it's clear (to me) that it's not just his offense, but getting guys to BUY IN, like Pete had to do. I figure that McVay absorbed a lot of HC and leadership savvy, from his associations coaching under John Gruden and Mike Shanahan (two SB winning coaches) as well as through his family including his grandfather John McVay, who was with the 49ers front office while Bill Walsh was coaching the great 49er teams of the 80s.

McVay also got a pretty decent exposure to both offense and defense from his playing experience through HS/college, as a QB, DB, and WR. So he understands firsthand how to attack a defense, as well as what a defense would do to try to stop an offense.

We'll see how McVay's Rams teams do when they have to pay their QB Goff. Seattle went to SBs so far only on Russell Wilson's rookie contract, where the Hawks could use almost $20M on other roster areas for talent during those years. How will McVay adapt then? Will he adapt as successfully as Pete Carroll has? In any case, the Rams *should* have the talent edge on the Pats in the upcoming SB. I'll take the Rams in that one. I have to say, I think McVay will turn out to be pretty smart and adaptable, even with $20M less physical talent to work with.

I'll be damned if Pete isn't pretty much the most adaptable pro sports coach I've ever seen. In an era of copycats, where anything successful gets immediately copied and schemed against, Pete's enduring success is pretty remarkable. Read Option? Case in point. Pete & Co. stole this from the Redskins and the way they ran it with RGIII. Thankfully, Russell is a smarter player than RGIII and managed not to get himself killed. The Read Option was a huge part of the SB48 winning season and of Marshawn Lynch's success here. Pete brought that in. Now other teams have figured out much better how to scheme against it, but it's still a factor. Now if we could just get $20M more talent in Pete's hands, and look out. Long cornerbacks and press coverage? Pete. Coaching up DB after DB? Pete. Anyone remember how bad our DBs sucked for years, no, *decades*, before Pete? (Excluding the Easley/Harris/Brown/Moyer years). Anyway, the long list of Pete's innovations and adaptations could go on and on, those were just quick hitters.

bigskydoc":2tjkxgm2 said:
The real question that should be asked is, why is Klingsbury getting this kind of attention while Mike Leach, who paved the TTU path for him, doesn’t seem to be getting any attention at all. Without Leach, there is no Coach Klingsbury.

I suppose the Cards taking the gamble on Kingsbury is an endorsement of Leach in their own way. Leach may have turned away interest, or maybe the NFL considers him too old, or... ? Got me on this one. Leach for sure is a fantastic coach. If he could recruit more defensive side athletes, his teams could be in the BCS conversation year after year.
You're not the only one wondering this:
http://arizonasports.com/story/1790731/ ... ng-search/
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/12/john- ... -dickenson

Kingsbury... I don't see much in Kingsbury's pre-NFL HC history that matches up to Sean McVay's pre-NFL HC history. The Cardinals are really rolling the dice on this one and hoping Kingsbury adapts and develops. The Cardinals D has been pretty good for several years now, certainly against us, anyway. So it's not a bad gamble for them. I just don't see Kingsbury being able to come in and get the across-the-board, both-sides-of-the-ball buyin like McVay clearly did in Year 1. Kingsbury appears to have nearly squat for expertise regarding the defensive side of the ball. However, I think if Kingsbury can get an offense working for the Cards, and not screw up the other parts, have veteran DC, and front office support, he will probably be a plus for them. I was impressed by how hard the Cardinals played us at the CLink. So the team itself has some strong veteran leadership in the players. So probably about the best situation Kingsbury could get into. He's gotta be smart--he turned down the Jets to go with the Cards.