Kyle Shanahan is an OC Nothing More

94Smith

Reaction score
I guess when I say special I mean like the 2013 Seahawks , 2000 ravens special. They need to stay healthy and keep the ppg low , turnover ratio high, and score on defense to be that special. They would need to do it the full length of the season and do it in games to the superstar qbs like the upcoming game against KC. We’ll see. The game has changed so much I am not sure we will see special defense like those again
it already is, no need to be humbe

Marvin49

Reaction score
Kyle's a great coach. And if anything is holding that team back, it's some of their suspect personnel decisions.

That defense looks legit. But I don't think the Niners are Super Bowl contenders unless Jimmy G plays like a top 15 QB.
Suspect?

Are you talking about Lance?

I mean other than that....

Just the draft...

2022:
Drake Jackson looks like a player
Spencer Burford is starting
Womack (5th round) started a few games at Nickel. Only reason he's not now is that Deomodore Lenoir looks really good

2021:
Aaron Banks is starting and playing well
Ambry Thomas started a few games last year and intercepted pass to end game vs Rams
Deomodore Lenoir (5th Round) is now their starting Nickel and playing very well.
Talanoa Hufanga (5th Round) looks like a star at safety
Elijah Mitchell almost had 1000 yards last year despite missing 7 or so games. Only issue appears to be staying healthy.

2020:
Aiyuk is a stud. Just isn't getting the touches.
Jauan Jennings has played well. Not bad for 7th rounder.

2019:
Bosa.
Samuel.
Dre Greenlaw (5th round)

2018:
Fred Warner
DJ Reed (5th round...never should have let him go).

2017:
Kittle (5th round)

Honestly, looking at the above list. Kinda think they should trade away all of their 1s and get like 5 5th rounders every year. The 5th round appears to be magic time.

Xxx

Reaction score
I've railed on Kyle in the past as being an OC doing an impression of a HC. He shut me up the 2nd half of last year making it to the NFCCG with Jimmy G (who is trash, so I found that to be impressive.)

But how he has handled Trey Lance, and manages his team overall, while still having a career losing record as a HC despite having all of that talent. I'm back on the this
An OC who consistently has one of the best defenses in the NFL, even after losing his DC. Hmmm. Can't say I agree. He's a great coach.
It’s the personnel that makes his defense good. Not coaching

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I agree that Shanahan has his blind spots... but this is painting a pretty pessimistic view of our chances if you get your way and Carroll is fired.

Kyle Shanahan wouldn't be a model for what we're looking for?

Jesus. I think your standards are more than a little out of touch. Shanahan is a top flight HC. Top 5 or 6.

This just lends more and more to my stance that some will just.. not ever be happy with any level of success.

knownone

Reaction score
Shanahan has done more without an elite QB than almost any HC since Reid pre-Mahomes. He's about the closest thing to a one-of-one offensive mind in the NFL. And the Niners are among the few teams that followed what the analytics community has said for years: invest heavily in the D-Line/O-Line, prioritize dynamic playmakers (See: YAC) at the skill position, and the QB becomes less of a factor in determining outcomes.

We'd be fortunate to replace Pete with some of his caliber.

Xxx

Reaction score
Shanahan has done more without an elite QB than almost any HC since Reid pre-Mahomes. He's about the closest thing to a one-of-one offensive mind in the NFL. And the Niners are among the few teams that followed what the analytics community has said for years: invest heavily in the D-Line/O-Line, prioritize dynamic playmakers (See: YAC) at the skill position, and the QB becomes less of a factor in determining outcomes.

We'd be fortunate to replace Pete with some of his caliber.

Do you consider Russ elite? I mean he’s way better than anything shanahan has had, but if he’s not elite then Pete has done more without an elite qb

knownone

Reaction score
Do you consider Russ elite? I mean he’s way better than anything shanahan has had, but if he’s not elite then Pete has done more without an elite qb
Russ was much closer to the elite than Purdy or Jimmy. Pete's also one of the best coaches in the league, so that's not a slight at him.