L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"

cheese22

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1mtcejkq said:
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.

Being a Blazer fan and watching the Meyers Leonard saga unfold for umpteen years makes me kind of laugh at how quick LJ has been written off already. Anytime you progress in levels of play there is going to be a time of acclimation. When you are hurt to begin that acclimation it's almost impossible to catch up in that first year. I've been there. I believe he has too much talent and heart to not make big strides this year. Hell, even Procise was given more leeway than this...for 3 years.
Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.

Rat

Reaction score
cheese22":1emqsefm said:
Maelstrom787":1emqsefm said:

Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.

Being a Blazer fan and watching the Meyers Leonard saga unfold for umpteen years makes me kind of laugh at how quick LJ has been written off already. Anytime you progress in levels of play there is going to be a time of acclimation. When you are hurt to begin that acclimation it's almost impossible to catch up in that first year. I've been there. I believe he has too much talent and heart to not make big strides this year. Hell, even Procise was given more leeway than this...for 3 years.
Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.
Needing time to acclimate is one thing, but was there any highly-drafted DE who was anywhere near as invisible last season? Or in any recent season? I’m not writing him off, but the team can’t be pleased with him so far. He hasnt even shown flashes.

People have been excusing his extraordinarily underwhelming rookie season by pointing out that injuries prevented him from having much of a training camp. Well... there appears to be a good chance he won’t have much of one this year either. So, when should we be expecting him to start proving his worth? In year 3 when he will already be 27? With our pass rush issues and being in Russ’ prime, I don’t know we can be THAT patient with him. I’d feel a hell of a lot better if we could reach a compromise with Clowney.

Also, a few good playoff games hardly means Meyers Leonard was worth where he was drafted. Didn’t even seem to prioritize re-signing him, before he agreed to a very modest deal with another team.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Respect is earned. Go earn the respect LJ.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team."
Why not? I certainly will, when he earns it. He hasn't managed that part of the deal yet, but if and when he does I'll be shouting his praises from the rooftops.
To be fair, I haven't written off anything about Collier except his performance level last year. I do not see any way that could translate to disrespect.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
cheese22":3nhfslbi said:

This is more tired and overdone than players playing the disrespect/chip on their shoulder card. It's hard to give the guy respect when you forget he is on the team because he is inactive week after week.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If feeling dissed helps him play better, well, that would be nice. Something tells me blowing compliments up his butt wouldn't help.

springscohawk

Reaction score
After reading ESPN article and all his statements-I hope this works for him and leads to big time performance for 2020.

Now that he has talked, now he has to go walk it out. He will really look bad if he doesn't.

Hopefully these rookies and 2nd year players get some sort of OTA's and training camp and physical reps before season starts. Without OTAs and training camp, would be like going into two seasons without normal physical preparation and training for Collier.

Most DE's don't produce much in first two years as far as sacks even without full OTA's and training camps. Surely a challenge for Collier and our rookie D-Lineman if normal training camp doesn't happen.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
2019 Rookie Contract:

$495k Base Salary
$1.465m prorated Bonus
Total: $1.975m cap hit

Tackles: 3
Pay per tackle = $658,333

As a comparison:
Jadeveon Clowney
Total: $15m

Tackles: 21 Solo 10 Assisted
Giving Clowney half of an assisted tackle (21+5) he is at $577k a tackle.

Nobody is disrespecting Collier it is just that nobody has a single reason to respect him on the field - so far.

Seajam

Reaction score
Didn't this guy get paid like a million dollars per tackle? What disrespect is he talking about? Lol

Rat

Reaction score
I keep hearing that rookie DEs don't produce, so I looked up the first ten DEs selected in last year's draft. Collier was the sixth selected.

1.02 Niners - Nick Bosa: 47 tackles, 9 sacks
1.04 Raiders - Clelin Ferrell: 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks
1.07 Jaguars - Josh Allen: 44 tackles, 10.5 sacks
1.16 Panthers - Brian Burns: 25 tackles, 7.5 sacks
1.26 Redskins - Montrez Sweat: 50 tackles, 7 sacks

1.29 Seahawks - L.J. Collier: 3 tackles, 0 sacks

3.65 Cardinals - Zach Allen: 8 tackles, 0 sacks (Injured neck in week 4, missed rest of season)
3.77 Patriots - Chase Winovich: 26 tackles, 5.5 sacks
3.85 Ravens - Jaylon Ferguson: 31 tackles, 2.5 sacks
3.95 Giants - Oshane Ximines: 25 tackles, 4.5 sacks
Then the 11th one: 4.106 Raiders - Maxx Crosby: 47 tackles, 10 sacks, 4 forced fumbles

Nobody should be "writing him off", but that's pretty discouraging for a 25-year-old rookie.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just to add: I hope he does well. I don’t have anything against him. The failure, if that is where it ends up, is squarely on JS and Pete.

We shall see put but besides hope and wishes I have seen nothing that shows he will improve.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Atradees":hkdt6wfn said:
I liked Winovich and we passed on him. We do that allot. Watch AJ Epenesa....

And Gross-Matos.

If Patrick Queen blows up in Baltimore......

Jville

Reaction score
I'm reading some incomplete and mixed assignment and scheme comparisons.

Refocusing on Seattle's off season, I'm looking forward to seeing a versatile AJ Collier get some looks on the inside as a 3-tech in Seattle's 2020 nickle package. I expect him to make the roster as a competitive edge defender on the outside and pass rusher on the Inside.

kf3339

Reaction score
The problem with a lot of athletes is that if they have any level of ability they are pampered from middle school on thru high school and college. Some have an entitlement complex that they just have to show up and people will love them.

Well, that isn't the NFL young man. In this league you need to get your head straight and show what you can do on the field every play and every game. No one gives a damn whether you feel disrespected, or not. The only thing that matters is results. The fact is that your rookie year sucked. You may have been injured early, but there were plenty of games you were a healthy scratch. That speaks volumes in this league.

Get your head right and put in the work. Show the coaches, players and fans you are here for a reason. Keep your mouth shut and just do the work. Make every play like its the Super Bowl. Just do it.

Largent80

Reaction score
I became an excellent drummer by sheer will and LOTS of practice, and I mean L O T S.

That practice landed me in bands that played out in front of people, which also helped my development.

Do you see the parallels?

springscohawk

Reaction score
Rat":2h0utrwn said:
cheese22":2h0utrwn said:
Maelstrom787":2h0utrwn said:

Needing time to acclimate is one thing, but was there any highly-drafted DE who was anywhere near as invisible last season? Or in any recent season? I’m not writing him off, but the team can’t be pleased with him so far. He hasnt even shown flashes.

People have been excusing his extraordinarily underwhelming rookie season by pointing out that injuries prevented him from having much of a training camp. Well... there appears to be a good chance he won’t have much of one this year either. So, when should we be expecting him to start proving his worth? In year 3 when he will already be 27? With our pass rush issues and being in Russ’ prime, I don’t know we can be THAT patient with him. I’d feel a hell of a lot better if we could reach a compromise with Clowney.

Also, a few good playoff games hardly means Meyers Leonard was worth where he was drafted. Didn’t even seem to prioritize re-signing him, before he agreed to a very modest deal with another team.

Rat, agree with you we may be looking at a 3rd year 1st round DE with two lost off-seasons and little development. With our pass rush issues and Russ being in his prime, we can't afford this.